• 1,916 posts
  • 177 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by lowbeau67
  • Topic is favorited by 82 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

There have been 551 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Untitled (resized).jpg
received_3157455034353973 (resized).jpeg
01e3e943-4f0c-44a1-ade4-b51d784bfdb8 (resized).jpg
3909BAA4-68BC-4C0C-A063-A8D63AD0583B (resized).png
90A7F1FA-9D35-479E-8437-4FB1A722F2D6 (resized).png
2020_1130_09524400 (resized).jpg
2020_1130_09524000 (resized).jpg
20201125_172111 (resized).jpg
Meteor_Outhole_Switch.jpg
20201123_214445 (resized).jpg
20201123_214418 (resized).jpg
20201123_214357 (resized).jpg
20201123_214140 (resized).jpg
20201123_214024 (resized).jpg
20201123_213912 (resized).jpg
DSC_8916 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1916 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 39.
#151 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Shout out to Lovef2k. Instruction cards he made are awesome.

Thanks! I can't wait to see your game completed. Also thanks for explaining your re-paint process.

#152 4 years ago

Moving along little by little:

Laid down 2nd color on front of cabinet.

Krylon sun yellow gloss and Krylon golden glitter blast

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#153 4 years ago

Back box lamp board - restored and re-populated with LEDs. One more thing off the to-do list.

Anyone have extra, "Danger High Voltage" stickers?

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#154 4 years ago

Looking nice. I like the metallic accents gives it pop. For the high voltage, are you talking about the shields for the displays? Or the little red sticker on the SDB and rectifier board shields? I think the displays are available at pinball rebel and the other might be as well. If not I have a scan of mine and may even have some of my printout left with adhesive.

#155 4 years ago

Show quality for sure

#156 4 years ago

Just joined this past Satirday.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Just joined this past Satirday.

You scored a nice one

#158 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

You scored a nice one

Looks very nice

#159 4 years ago

Stoked on this title. Put in my PBR order so will be shining it up.

#160 4 years ago

Just curious,, what degree slope do you have your playfield angle set at?

#161 4 years ago

I think 6 is the best I could get mine without putting it up on blocks.

#162 4 years ago

Hey guys -
Come cabinet questions...

Were the legs stainless or grey-painted?
Anywhere to get new legs?
Will newer leg plates (mounted inside of cabinet, that bolts screw into) work in the cabinet?
Any place have new siderails?

-Mike

#163 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Hey guys -
Come cabinet questions...
Were the legs stainless or grey-painted?
Anywhere to get new legs?
Will newer leg plates (mounted inside of cabinet, that bolts screw into) work in the cabinet?
Any place have new siderails?

-Mike

Mine are grey.

#164 4 years ago

My originals are grey.

My new ones are powder coated black

#165 4 years ago

All of the ones I saw were grey.

#166 4 years ago

The legs used on these old Sterns, were they basically the same as the Bally games of the day? I'm going to eventually buy new legs for my Meteor as well but would like to get the right ones if possible.

#167 4 years ago

Best place for replacement coin door parts?

image_(resized).jpeg

#168 4 years ago

While waiting for paint to dry, time to tackle the rectifier board - will replace with a new PinHead board

IMG_6152_(resized).JPG

IMG_6153_(resized).JPG

IMG_6160_(resized).JPG

IMG_6165_(resized).JPG

IMG_6174_(resized).JPG

IMG_6176_(resized).JPG

#169 4 years ago

IMG_6155_(resized).JPGnice solder job

#170 4 years ago
Quoted from Evets:

Meteor has a fun spinner shot. If I remember correctly, Scott Charles tweaked the performance of his spinner until he was getting 100k for a single rip through (don't quote me on that number, but his results were impressive). How tuned is your spinner? The best I've noticed on mine is 81k; time for a tune up?

81k is big i can only get about 50k out of mine ...but its set for 1 point per rotation

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

While waiting for paint to dry, time to tackle the rectifier board - will replace with a new PinHead board

What is a "PinHead" board?

#172 4 years ago

I think the quality of this board along with the extra items that are provided in the "kit" are way above a rottendog replacement:

Rectifier Board and included accessory pack
Features:
Works with Stern TA 100 and Bally AS-2518-18, AS-2518-49 boards.
Plug and play replacement rectifier board.
LEDs are provided for each power supply voltage.
Heat sinks are provided for all three bridge rectifiers.
Top mounted heavy duty 35 amp bridge rectifiers for added reliability.
Through hole design for easier soldering and serviceability.
All PinHead Rectifier boards are professionally wave soldered using high quality ultrapure solder designed by Kester, the leading manufacturer for solder. This greatly improves the aesthetics and reliability of all solder joints.
High temperature 170tg FR-4 material is used along with extra thick copper and flooded ground plains, which helps reduce noise and dissipate heat.
High temperature polycarbonate fuse cover to protect you from high voltages.
Meets current ANSI/IPC-2221 specifications.
Includes an additional ground terminal, which provides an alternate path for the ground plain and relieves stress from the existing E8 ground connection.
Increased the resistance value of the power resistors to decrease operating tempature. Also increased the power rating of R2 from 10 watts to 15 watts.
Every board has clearly marked E connections on both sides of the board for easy installation.
Includes an accessory pack with all of the necessary parts for mounting the new board and rebuilding those old worn out and burnt connectors.
Includes all fuses.
Compatible with Future Spa, KISS and Space Invaders.

An accessory pack is included with each PinHead Electronics replacement Rectifier Board:

3 Molex keying plugs
4 PCB standoffs
9-pin Molex plug
10-pin Molex plug
20-pin Molex plug
40 Molex Trifurcon style contacts

Pinhead_rectifier_board_(resized).png

#173 4 years ago

I purchased mine from John's Jukes Ltd. a couple months ago - $70

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Can you be more specific? Coin mechanism? Credit button decal? Price plates?

#175 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Can you be more specific? Coin mechanism? Credit button decal? Price plates?

The pricing plates and coin slot part missing from the pics I posted.

#176 4 years ago

Did all these games have a Stern decal on the door?

#177 4 years ago

After replacing the caps on the sound board I am still not getting much sound on the game (no sound when I rip the spinner, countdown on bonus will make no sound if I get a high bonus). What's the next step?

#178 4 years ago

A lot of times the sound goes out or is erratic if there is a memory issue. Check the SRAM (or NVRAM), reseat if needed. I know I went through a few RAM chips when I needed to replace mine. Some of the replacements had little to no sound. Especially if the RAM is "slow" or mismatched speeds. Has the sound ever worked correctly?

#179 4 years ago

Hey guys, I started a game in mine and strange things are happening... Everything was perfect, but now when the pop bumper is hit with the ball the knocker fires, and the drop targets on the left continually reset. Is there a particular chip I should replace on the mpu?

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

A lot of times the sound goes out or is erratic if there is a memory issue. Check the SRAM (or NVRAM), reseat if needed. I know I went through a few RAM chips when I needed to replace mine. Some of the replacements had little to no sound. Especially if the RAM is "slow" or mismatched speeds. Has the sound ever worked correctly?

Not since I purchased it. I will check this out. Thanks

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Hey guys, I started a game in mine and strange things are happening... Everything was perfect, but now when the pop bumper is hit with the ball the knocker fires, and the drop targets on the left continually reset. Is there a particular chip I should replace on the mpu?

I had a similar problem with a seawitch, but mine had run away scoring as well. Turned out to be one of the PIA's.

#182 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Pricing plates can be found at Marco - they have several to choose from.

Coin entry plate for early stern (white plastic) - you might be SOL (both Marco and Action Pinball are out of stock)

Surprised nobody has made more - probably can be made from a 3D printer

stern_coin_entry_plate_(resized).png

#183 4 years ago

anyone replace their line filter, cable, and varistor? If so, any pictures will be helpful

Thanks in advance.

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

somebody I think in Australia was reproducing the plastic coin slots. I can't find the link now but they were pricey. CPR made the pricing plates and sold there stock to Marco. Try them as they are only a few bucks a piece. I have some spare coin slots if you need any. I have repainted some with Krylon Fusion paint and they turned out nice

DSC01939_(resized).JPG

DSC01940_(resized).JPG

#185 4 years ago

Was Meteor's door textured like that? Mine's stainless..

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I bought one coin slot for my Nine Ball from this shop, in Sweden :
http://www.pin-games.se/parts/pinball/cdi/catalogue.htm

#187 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Mine was the same - hammered effect - same color that Lovef2k posted.

I recently sanded down my entire coin door and trim to bare metal (rust in multiple spots) and repainted - Rustoleum hammered effect but in black.

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

somebody I think in Australia was reproducing the plastic coin slots. I can't find the link now but they were pricey. CPR made the pricing plates and sold there stock to Marco. Try them as they are only a few bucks a piece. I have some spare coin slots if you need any. I have repainted some with Krylon Fusion paint and they turned out nice

Wish I knew that you had extra coin slots when I ordered the instruction cards - am in need of 1.

Prior owner filed down the edges that protrude through the chrome bezel - reasons unknown.

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Wish I knew that you had extra coin slots when I ordered the instruction cards - am in need of 1.
Prior owner filed down the edges that protrude through the chrome bezel - reasons unknown.

I can send one to you. I think I saved your address. I think the ones I have are all painted white like the F2K photo.

#190 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I have never seen a stainless coin door on a stern. I know the early games like wild fyre and stampede had a grey painted door non-hammer tone, just smooth. Post a pick of it.

#191 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

call pinball resource. i have bought a bunch of nos plates and slot plastics from him. he will tell you they are not perfect but they were better than what i had and certainly better than what you currently have

#192 4 years ago

Has anyone had an issue with the repro drop targets not staying up? If so, anyone know a fix?

#193 4 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Has anyone had an issue with the repro drop targets not staying up? If so, anyone know a fix?

Having the same issue. I tried shortening the springs, they're a little better but still not good.

#194 4 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Quoted from Willathrilla:

Having the same issue. I tried shortening the springs, they're a little better but still not good.

Try tweaking the tabs on the memory target release mechanism. Bend them as needed. Shortening the springs sounds like a good idea but that puts more tension on the target and might actually pull the target down.

#195 4 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Had the issue on my STARS and used a bastard file to grind down the stop to increase the stroke, work great now.

#196 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I have never seen a stainless coin door on a stern. I know the early games like wild fyre and stampede had a grey painted door non-hammer tone, just smooth. Post a pick of it.

Okay, I was wrong. Apparently, it was textured grey. However, because of it's age and something some previous operator did, it's feels sanded smooth and done up in silver. I can feel the texture in the paint, but it's real light. I mistook it for stainless until I got close enough to study it.

#197 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Had the issue on my STARS and used a bastard file to grind down the stop to increase the stroke, work great now.

I had that issue on my Stars also. I taped a piece of cardboard from a box to the metal bar that lifts the targets to increase how high they are lifted. Mines works great now as well.

#198 4 years ago
Quoted from Willathrilla:

Quoted from SealClubber:

Curious, how do your targets sit? Is the text cut off on the bottom, on the playfield?

#199 4 years ago

Something a little different...

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#200 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Something a little different...

Looking really good! I may steal that in years to come when I rebuild my cab..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 25.00
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
There are 1916 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 39.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside