• 1,625 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by QuietEarp
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

There have been 413 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200708_133459 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200708_135403 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200708_135353 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200708_132437 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200708_150939 (resized).jpg
IMG_3101 (resized).JPG
992E499F-FADB-4BC8-871E-D28BB3715672 (resized).jpeg
CD14F089-0226-494F-BB12-D00DF235747F (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200617_181412 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200617_181341 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200617_181313 (resized).jpg
DD85FA61-8E32-4B06-99A4-4C8A938720AD (resized).jpeg
47CF6502-49E1-4FF7-944A-7C2DE765FE7F (resized).jpeg
CDD20BC9-75E6-4A3D-AE04-B28FFCE7C0F7 (resized).jpeg
20200527_141841 (resized).jpg
20200527_141831 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1625 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 33.
#1601 23 days ago

Operator. Wanted the playfield to not get any worse. Put varathane on it, then put it back in game. Playfield protected!

Not a collector or anyone that wanted to 'preserve' the game, beyond making it last longer and make more money. Remember, guys, these were commercial machines.

#1602 23 days ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

It's been in my Dad's garage for at least 10 years, and before that it was in a barn for who knows how long. I didn't think people were putting on their own clear coats 20 years ago. Just kinda confusing, because even now it's not a very valuable game to go to the trouble to strip the playfield, clear coat it, and put it back together. I mean it's a good game and it's getting appreciated more these days, but at the time this CC was done to it, it musta been a $500 game.

The operator that owned the Centaur I bought replaced the playfield with a NOS field in the late 80's. Because his games got heavy play he cleared it first, probably with Minwax or similar. All of the clears you could buy back then in hardware/paint stores had linseed oil in them. The clear yellowed badly over time, but at least it protected the playfield.

#1603 23 days ago

Well I got some stencils from a friend and airbrushed exhaust...now it’s super bright and doesn’t match rest of playfield but going to clear it and get back to playing. Good learning experience. Not perfect but it’s mine and lots cheaper than new playfield. Wish they made a hardtop.

CD14F089-0226-494F-BB12-D00DF235747F (resized).jpeg

992E499F-FADB-4BC8-871E-D28BB3715672 (resized).jpeg
#1604 23 days ago

I have an extra Metor backglass in nice shape. Let me know if someone can use it?

1 week later
#1605 14 days ago

What's the story behind the two different backglasses offered by CPR?
Which would you order?
Does it make a difference?

#1606 14 days ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

What's the story behind the two different backglasses offered by CPR?
Which would you order?
Does it make a difference?

The story as far as I understand, is like this:
There was apparently some early, and less-common (not sure HOW uncommon) revisions of the backglass - (1) Proto/Sample Red Score windows? (2) Version with NO "CREDIT" and no Green layer, and (3) The most common, green layer with 'CREDIT'.
Someone offered CPR an 'NOS' backglass, and CPR did NO research on it, assuming the glass they got was 'standard'. It, sadly, was the one with no 'CREDIT' and no green color.
After the issue was brought up to their attention, they re-ran their glass with the green spot color. It still has no 'CREDIT' text, but supposedly is correct everywhere else.

Hence, you can chose which version you want.

#1607 14 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

The story as far as I understand, is like this:
There was apparently some early, and less-common (not sure HOW uncommon) revisions of the backglass - (1) Proto/Sample Red Score windows? (2) Version with NO "CREDIT" and no Green layer, and (3) The most common, green layer with 'CREDIT'.
Someone offered CPR an 'NOS' backglass, and CPR did NO research on it, assuming the glass they got was 'standard'. It, sadly, was the one with no 'CREDIT' and no green color.
After the issue was brought up to their attention, they re-ran their glass with the green spot color. It still has no 'CREDIT' text, but supposedly is correct everywhere else.
Hence, you can chose which version you want.

So CPR is just trying to sell their mistake as "rare" because who really cares anyway? Kinda like the playfield fiasco?

#1608 13 days ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Maybe that it why they didn't go the extra step to touch up the artwork, etc. The circles for the posts should be hidden when the posts are re-installed. If you are going to all that work to clear coat I don't know why someone would skip those other steps.

Cleaning the paint on a meteor playfield rubs the paint off in my experience with 3 meteors I’ve had, not wanting to fix the paint and save the current condition may have been the motive. I did it once;, saved the playfield because paint flakes off at every wipe

#1609 12 days ago

Picked up my Meteor project today...claims it ran like a top when he put it in storage 5 years ago...then 10 years ago.
Playfield is in good shape (no obvious wear or cupping--but where did the fishing bobber come from?!!??!!? I mean, it is under the playfield glass...I really don't know and neither did he!) AND I got a Bonus populated playfield! Woo Hoo! Also, no wear. Both look like they are in really good, avobe average shape. Has original boards...the downside? Well, there's no backglass. And it doesn't run. ANd between the two playfields, I don't have a full set of plastics.

Next stop? Reading five years of posts about this pin!

#1610 12 days ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

I Just got a Taxi and I am doing the same lol, good news is most of the stuff you need is available to purchase, good Playfield will save you some money.

#1611 11 days ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Picked up my Meteor project today...claims it ran like a top when he put it in storage 5 years ago...then 10 years ago.
Playfield is in good shape (no obvious wear or cupping--but where did the fishing bobber come from?!!??!!? I mean, it is under the playfield glass...I really don't know and neither did he!) AND I got a Bonus populated playfield! Woo Hoo! Also, no wear. Both look like they are in really good, avobe average shape. Has original boards...the downside? Well, there's no backglass. And it doesn't run. ANd between the two playfields, I don't have a full set of plastics.

What happens when you throw the switch?

#1612 11 days ago

We didn't throw the switch. We played Nine Ball, the other pin.
The head was down (I clipped off the remote battery which had light corrosion) and we loaded the head, cab and extra playfield in the van.
Bought it as a project. He did say that when he put it away that it played, so with a little luck...
This one looks a little worse than my very first pin, a resurrection of a Firepower 2. Not much worse though, and it might just be dirt and refurbishing the boards.
Going to clean it up and do an inventory later this week.
The good news is that the other pin has an Alltek board, so it might not take very long to coax this Meteor back to life, even if it is a test until the boards come back.
...er, I mean, it might not take too long for the danger to pass...

typically how long does it take for CPR to ship a backglass? --assuming it is available (which Meteor is).

#1613 9 days ago

Has anyone done anything interesting with rubber color or translucency? I'd love to see some pics...
I see that Marco has a black rubber set? Anyone have any pics of that? (Any feedback on the black rubbers on other pins?)
Also, I'm not much for clown-vomit-looking pins, but I think that adding a little bit of color could make things pop on Meteor.
Anyone have some lighting they are proud of and want to show off?
(Ordering the repro backglass, so colored LEDs aren't necessary to help hide backglass flaws on this one).

Is there a deep preference in the group for the version of the backglass that is more desirable?

#1614 9 days ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Has anyone done anything interesting with rubber color or translucency? I'd love to see some pics...
I see that Marco has a black rubber set? Anyone have any pics of that? (Any feedback on the black rubbers on other pins?)
Also, I'm not much for clown-vomit-looking pins, but I think that adding a little bit of color could make things pop on Meteor.
Anyone have some lighting they are proud of and want to show off?
(Ordering the repro backglass, so colored LEDs aren't necessary to help hide backglass flaws on this one).
Is there a deep preference in the group for the version of the backglass that is more desirable?

Black rubbers are not as soft as white so game play might be different. I don't know about colored ones but I think purple or red would look cool. I just don't know how pliable they are.

I would get the green option back glass. I got the repro before they added the green.

#1615 9 days ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Black rubbers are not as soft as white so game play might be different. I don't know about colored ones but I think purple or red would look cool. I just don't know how pliable they are.
I would get the green option back glass. I got the repro before they added the green.

I heard that the black ones disintegrate sooner as well.
I prefer the feel of traditional rubbers to the various "new-fangled" and wildly bouncy ones like Titan.

Having said all of that, red would look pretty cool, I think.

I'm kinda torn...there's a damaged "green" glass at CPR (has what looks like a 1/4 x 1 inch gash in the black above the credit window)...save $60 and touch up paint it myself? It would still be better than any glass I have now...undecided...

#1616 3 days ago

Is anyone running Andrew's latest board in their Meteor? I have an older version with the bug fix rom. Does the free play option on the newer selectable board also have the bug fixes? Sound and bonus bugs, that is.

Thanks for any assistance.

RC

#1617 3 days ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

I heard that the black ones disintegrate sooner as well.
I prefer the feel of traditional rubbers to the various "new-fangled" and wildly bouncy ones like Titan.
Having said all of that, red would look pretty cool, I think.
I'm kinda torn...there's a damaged "green" glass at CPR (has what looks like a 1/4 x 1 inch gash in the black above the credit window)...save $60 and touch up paint it myself? It would still be better than any glass I have now...undecided...

I typically use the white on all the games but went with Yellow (with blue on the slings) on Dr who and it looks awesome. When I refresh my Meteor I am leaning towards trying out colors. I think orange may look good (at least on the slings) and other colors that complement the playfield art.

#1618 2 days ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

Is anyone running Andrew's latest board in their Meteor? I have an older version with the bug fix rom. Does the free play option on the newer selectable board also have the bug fixes? Sound and bonus bugs, that is.
Thanks for any assistance.
RC

Who is "Andrew"?
If Alltek, no. He refuses to update the software in his board.
If Weebly, then you need either (1) the lasted rev board from him, or (2) burn your own copy of v64/v74, and plug it into the board.
If someone else named "Andrew", contact him and ask.

#1619 2 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Who is "Andrew"?
If Alltek, no. He refuses to update the software in his board.
If Weebly, then you need either (1) the lasted rev board from him, or (2) burn your own copy of v64/v74, and plug it into the board.
If someone else named "Andrew", contact him and ask.

Andrew is the guy making the weebly boards.

#1620 1 day ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

I prefer silicone rings these days. I think rubber has the propensity to dirty the playfield faster. This is a little less of an issue in a home setting. I saw this at Allentown last year and thought it was pretty tasteful.

IMG_3101 (resized).JPG
#1621 23 hours ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Few pics with the Reese Rails on
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Holy crap that's beautiful.

I hate to admit I tried to leave the club the other day. Had a buyer come to grab my meteor and everything...

When he got here the controlled lights--all of them--stopped working. Gross gooey gunk all over one of the connectors (jacket breaking down I'm assuming). So, no sale. I noticed my power supply looked awful as well,so I folded everything up for now.

I love love love meteor, but I don't feel mine is worthy of *me* spending the time and money restoring it. I'm out of space (up to 9 pins, really need to be at like....7) and having to make decisions based on what my kids and guests play... And Meteor ain't up there on the list.

But, given the issues and given that I'm not willing to slash my price to sell it as-is, it's not leaving. Folded it up and stuck it in a corner for now, until I feel like doing something with it I suppose. Guess I'm here but not here really, for the long haul.

Sorry, this was kind of a worthless post. I LOVE those purple rails...

IMG_20200708_150939 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200708_132437 (resized).jpgIMG_20200708_135353 (resized).jpgIMG_20200708_135403 (resized).jpgIMG_20200708_133459 (resized).jpg
#1622 5 hours ago

Time to re-pin. At least that's a quick and easy repair.

#1623 4 hours ago

I say your kids do get a vote on what pins are in the basement, but guests don't. You don't get a vote on your buddy's mancave items, lol.

#1624 2 hours ago

Kids don't like it. They like cactus Jack's, world cup, and terminator specifically. Taxi will be a big favorite I'm sure. F-14 isn't popular because it's mean. Shuttle I don't care what anyone thinks because it's gorgeous and I'm in waaaay too deep to sell it and high speed i hardtopped myself and I'm not sure I'm ready to put "my" work out there to be judged... Lol.

Meteor and F-14 get by far the least play of what I have, and I feel I'm about two over my quota. Doesn't really matter right now though, I can't sell them as they're sitting. I certainly don't want to not own a meteor either, I just shudder at the effort--and cost--required to make mine really nice.

#1625 1 hour ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:I just shudder at the effort--and cost--required to make mine really nice.

My Meteor will never be "really nice" but it does look decent at a distance and more importantly plays awesome. I contemplate buying a new backglass for mine but it doesn't bother me enough to pull the trigger. I think I might have to go rip that spinner a bit. . .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
$ 157.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
There are 1625 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 33.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside