0C (resized).jpg
0A (resized).jpg
IMG_4179 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4176 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4174 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4175 (resized).jpeg
20231230_105158 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,930 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 59.
#102 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

That's a good question, but sorry I don't have an answer. I'm not sure if they changed the mechanism along with the targets. My theory is that they made the later targets with the lip on top because the flat ones were often getting broken from hard hits. The hooded target seems more robust. Now the numbers sitting low on the pf could be another issue. Is it possible that the 3 is stamped too low? I have an NOS number 3 target here and the 3 is about 1/16 below the underside of the lip. When I have a chance I'm going to measure the 2 styles side by side and see what the difference is. Also where did you buy the repro targets from?

Be interesting to see what you measure. ALL of my targets are low (I've now done the 1's and 2's, and they sit low also.. The 'METEOR' targets I'm working on now.) I compared a good tombstone target from the METEOR stack to one of the new ones, and they looked similar - the body of the old one was taller / longer, which made it stick out of the playfield higher. But like, a fraction of an inch. That, combined with a lower ink on the numbers could very well cause this.

And, sorry to everyone else for flooding/spamming the thread with my drop-target issues. Honest. If someone wants to post LED pics or something, feel free.

#103 7 years ago

All incandescents ... One day I'll do LED's

Clear coated playfield
The pf was flaking really bad, with every breath of wind paint would come up, some dirt trails got painted in, ugh.

It looks nice, maybe one day it will get a new pf

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#104 7 years ago

I need a little help please...

I picked up a really nice Meteor but one of the plugs for the driver board (J3) was snapped off completely. Can someone send me a pic or two of that plug unattached so I can see the corresponding colors in the correct order they are supposed to be in? I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Below what I am talking about:

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from DK:

I need a little help please...

I picked up a really nice Meteor but one of the plugs for the driver board (J3) was snapped off completely. Can someone send me a pic or two of that plug unattached so I can see the corresponding colors in the correct order they are supposed to be in? I would GREATLY appreciate it!

White wire is at the top. And it looks like my blue wire needs pushed in more.

DSCN2588_(resized).JPGDSCN2588_(resized).JPG

DSCN2587_(resized).JPGDSCN2587_(resized).JPG

#106 7 years ago

AWESOME! Thank you! I can definitely work with that

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from DK:

AWESOME! Thank you! I can definitely work with that

It's also in the manual if you have it.

#108 7 years ago

I have a Meteor head here an and someone did the same thing, I hate that! Animals!

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

It's not Bally, rather early Stern. A Bally target will not work in a Stern DT bank. If you look at some earlier stern such as Hot Hand or Dracula, you will see these "chicklet" targets.

Yes, but my Stern chiclet/tombstone targets have that same ridge.
They might work if they modified the bank, which his apparently was?
The stamped ones are made by PBResource.

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I just finished going through the 'METEOR' targets. They (both chicklet and tombstone - they were mixed) all did have the ridge - the ridge sits on the coil latch for release. These - the new ones I got - also sit a lot better on these than putting the ridged ones in the rocket targets. Strange, but I'll take it for now.

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

They might work if they modified the bank, which his apparently was?
The stamped ones are made by PBResource.

Yes PBR and classic arcades also sells them but I don't know if his are from the same mold. Another PITA is "bricking" with the repro targets, but that's a whole other issue. Also the memory coil release levers have to be tweeked on the METEOR dt bank.

#112 7 years ago

I was running the tombstones in all locations until I ran out of replacements. The Tombstones bricked also.
What tweaking do you mean?

#113 7 years ago

I used tombstone repros on mine, I haven't seen any brick yet, but I still need to tweak the meteor set to get it to reset properly, at least that mech is on a plug.

#114 7 years ago

Where did you get Stern Tombstone repros?

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Yes PBR and classic arcades also sells them but I don't know if his are from the same mold. Another PITA is "bricking" with the repro targets, but that's a whole other issue. Also the memory coil release levers have to be tweeked on the METEOR dt bank.

Dumb question - what is 'bricking'?

And yeah, when I put in my new targets, I had to adjust both the springs (tighten them) and the release coil latches - had to lower them a *touch*.

#116 7 years ago

Oh, another dumb question -
The ribbon cables from my sound board (two of them) have 1 less pin than the header on the MPU. (So there are two unused pins on the MPU..) What's the right orientation for these?

Played the first game on my game since I brought it home. Flippers need to be rebuilt, switches adjusted, but it's solid. I'm happy with it. Had fun playing a game. Not bad for a $300 game.

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Oh, another dumb question -
The ribbon cables from my sound board (two of them) have 1 less pin than the header on the MPU. (So there are two unused pins on the MPU..) What's the right orientation for these?
Played the first game on my game since I brought it home. Flippers need to be rebuilt, switches adjusted, but it's solid. I'm happy with it. Had fun playing a game. Not bad for a $300 game.

Bricking is when you hit a drop target dead on and it doesn't drop. Notorious Stern thing. I think it is more with the repro targets being more flexible than original. If your game has sound, leave the ribbon cables alone. There are unused pins on the J5 header of the mpu. IIRC they are the 2 far right side. My Meteor is all apart right now so I can't tale any pics.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Bricking is when you hit a drop target dead on and it doesn't drop. Notorious Stern thing. I think it is more with the repro targets being more flexible than original. If your game has sound, leave the ribbon cables alone. There are unused pins on the J5 header of the mpu. IIRC they are the 2 far right side. My Meteor is all apart right now so I can't tale any pics.

Ah! Huh. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

I had to disconnect the cabels when I was working on my MPU, and just never reconnected them. Now that the rebuilding is done on the DTs, need to finish hooking up the sound. Thanks.

#119 7 years ago

The ribbon connectors are oriented the same as they are on the sound boards. I think the left ribbon has a key and the right one should be butted up next tot the left. One the J5 the ribbon should be going upwards. Usually the dirty side of the ribbon will face up lol.

#120 7 years ago

ok, I had backwards, it the sound board ribbon the faces up and J5 face down, see pic of my F2K.

P5010145_(resized).JPGP5010145_(resized).JPG

P5010146_(resized).JPGP5010146_(resized).JPG

#121 7 years ago

Thanks - got it! I guess the IRQ from the MPU (pin 34) isn't used? Seems odd, but hey, what do I know.

#122 7 years ago

One of the few clubs I can join! I love this game.

#123 7 years ago

Can anyone help me with this "T"? Hopefully there's an extra for sale somewhere out there. I'd like to make the targets all uniform if possible

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

And what am I missing down here on the transformer pad?

Also looks like you are missing the instruction card (am currently redoing all of mine).

Meteor_transformer_instructions_(resized).jpgMeteor_transformer_instructions_(resized).jpg

#125 7 years ago

Definitely keeping busy with the restoration (mid-range) since purchasing this Meteor several months ago. Hoping for CPR to reproduce the playfield.

Meteor_back_box_light_board_(resized).jpgMeteor_back_box_light_board_(resized).jpg

Meteor_back_box_paint_(resized).jpgMeteor_back_box_paint_(resized).jpg

Meteor_lockdown_bar_(resized).jpgMeteor_lockdown_bar_(resized).jpg

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Can anyone help me with this "T"? Hopefully there's an extra for sale somewhere out there. I'd like to make the targets all uniform if possible

Pinball resource has the complete 'hot-stamped' set ('meteor', 111, 222, 333), pop bumper caps, and star posts.

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Also looks like you are missing the instruction card (am currently redoing all of mine).

Meteor_transformer_instructions_(resized).jpg

I have had some of the Meteor cards reproduced at my favorite print shop. I had them done on heavy card stock in off white. Selling set pictured to PS'ers for $25 + postage. Single transformer card $5 ea + postage and Meteor self test for $5 + postage. I also have complete sets for Xenon, FG, EBD, Star trek and F2K. F2K nad EBD also include score cards. Can bring any of these to Pinfest as well.
I will also ad this to the market place.

P5020158_(resized).JPGP5020158_(resized).JPG

P5020159_(resized).JPGP5020159_(resized).JPG

P5020160_(resized).JPGP5020160_(resized).JPG

#128 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Definitely keeping busy with the restoration (mid-range) since purchasing this Meteor several months ago. Hoping for CPR to reproduce the playfield.

Meteor_back_box_light_board_(resized).jpgMeteor_back_box_paint_(resized).jpgMeteor_lockdown_bar_(resized).jpg

Stripped the lamp board, that's brave. I did to 3 games so far. Are you replacing the lamp sockets?

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Stripped the lamp board, that's brave. I did to 3 games so far. Are you replacing the lamp sockets?

Lamp sockets don't look too bad so decided to keep them - lamp board just needed a facelift.

Per the instruction cards - you have IM.

Did you happen to make this instruction card as well - goes on bottom of cabinet (left of transformer and above the speaker)

cabinet_bottom_instruction_sheet_(resized).jpgcabinet_bottom_instruction_sheet_(resized).jpg

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from DK:

There are some here on Pinside Market.

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Lamp sockets don't look too bad so decided to keep them - lamp board just needed a facelift.
Per the instruction cards - you have IM.
Did you happen to make this instruction card as well - goes on bottom of cabinet (left of transformer and above the speaker)

cabinet_bottom_instruction_sheet_(resized).jpg

Yes, I wasn't sure if this was used in Meteor, mine didn't have it. Will be included with set.

P5020161_(resized).JPGP5020161_(resized).JPG

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from DK:

image_(resized).jpeg

I have a T to match the other targets, it's NOS, $10+postage

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Meteor_transformer_instructions_(resized).jpg

Actually, I have that one - it had been pushed back into the back of the cabinet - I found it after I took my picture. I have all of those sheets that Lovef2k has - though I'll likely take him up on the deal once I go to rebuilding and repainting my cabinet.

I'm still working on the lamp boards - it's a little more difficult than I anticipated, due to the small size (width) they have to be to fit in along side each other on the rocket bonus lamps. I leave for California in a couple days, so I likely won't be able to continue laying out the board until I get back.

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from DK:

I just replaced the Meteor targets on mine. I've got a used T. PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

#135 7 years ago

Is the 'Ball in Play' lamp behind the backglass supposed to be 'always on'? Wondering if I have a short in my lamp driver board..

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Is the 'Ball in Play' lamp behind the backglass supposed to be 'always on'? Wondering if I have a short in my lamp driver board..

No, only when game is active for the specific player, probably a shorted scr, easy fix. If you go LED then you might as well buy the Alltek lamp driver board since it has a jumper to eliminate strobing. Jumper connects to the feature lamp bus inside the backbox behind the lamp/display board to the Alltek board. I see them all the time for $99.

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

No, only when game is active for the specific player, probably a shorted scr, easy fix. If you go LED then you might as well buy the Alltek lamp driver board since it has a jumper to eliminate strobing. Jumper connects to the feature lamp bus inside the backbox behind the lamp/display board to the Alltek board. I see them all the time for $99.

Okay, thanks. I'll probably be getting a new board, since in addition to that one stuck on, I have a handful that aren't lighting at all.

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Okay, thanks. I'll probably be getting a new board, since in addition to that one stuck on, I have a handful that aren't lighting at all.

No lighting of lamps can be a number of things, loose socket, bad bulb, cold solder joints on lamp driver, connectors and of course the lamp driver. Also check the square connectors in the backbox for GI and the display board controlled lamps. They are weird connectors and hard to find. I found them at Newark.com and bought a bunch, 3 pin( service outlet plu) 4 pin (speaker volume), 6 pin and 9 pins. LMK if you need any, I can sell cheap.

#139 7 years ago

So this is my last issue on the game...

Player 1 and player 2 displays do not display 10k and 100k digit. It's not the displays themselves. I've reseated everything I can on this game. What's the next step? Thanks for any help!

#140 7 years ago

If its not the displays, then check the connectors at both ends.

#141 7 years ago

Shout out to Lovef2k. Instruction cards he made are awesome.

#142 7 years ago

Update on my restore - laid down the red on the main cabinet. Lines were perfect and crisp

#143 7 years ago

Looking good!

What black did you use for the base?

#144 7 years ago

Rustoleum satin black #7777

Spray cans.

Sanding between each coat (400 dry).

Final sand was 600 wet

I scuffed all the black with grey #000 3M pad, laid down the stencil then scuffed inside each stencil with 400 - paying particular attention to the edges.

Used Krylon banner red gloss -Wispy sprays every 3 minutes (5x). Last spray was a little bit thicker.

Waited a full 30 minutes before removal.

Removed stencil in sections (x-acto knife) and went along the edge keeping uniform tension.

Stencil removal time 30-45 minutes

#145 7 years ago

Needs a couple of small things done (spinner decal, T target replaced) but it is playing hard and mean! Thanks to everyone that helped me out on bringing her back from the dead

#146 7 years ago

Are those blue or frost white LEDs under the plastics?

#147 7 years ago

Blue. Looks 10x better in person

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Blue. Looks 10x better in person

Awesome job.

Glad I picked that color as well. My LEDs are in transit

#149 7 years ago

Laid down the metallic for the rocket fuselage -looks white in the pictures but is actually brilliant metallic finish

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Laid down the metallic for the rocket fuselage -looks white in the pictures but is actually brilliant metallic finish

Cool idea!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 3.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,930 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 59.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-club-we-will-let-you-know-when-the-danger-is-past/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.