• 1,357 posts
  • 134 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by treborlicec
  • Topic is favorited by 63 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

There have been 351 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191030_221229_01 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191021_185020 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191021_152455 (resized).jpg
E2285151-595F-41E2-AB6C-E968425F2E15.jpeg
6425422749675392351 (resized).JPG
353571156285129825 (resized).JPG
IMG_20190923_184510129 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190814_155651 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190814_155632 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190814_164507 (resized).jpg
PART_1565816496443 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20190814-054002 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190814-053957 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190814-053953 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190814_002227 (resized).jpg
841086E6-F74A-4AA4-9092-206A9D7676AB (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1357 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 28.
#1301 33 days ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Can anyone direct me to a web site that has a 6 bank drop target assembly to replace mine??? I've already tried Marco,BAA.and PBL.!! PBL has a 3 bank and a 4 bank ,but not 6!! Is it possible to put in 2.3bank targets and wire them together??Thanks!!!!

Is your missing or just broken?

#1302 28 days ago

Lovef2k my METEOR targets do not all reset! Ive been told the bottom rod has to be tight,but it still doesn't reset! So,I thought to replace them all!!!

#1303 28 days ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Ca :kidding:n anyone direct me to a web site that has a 6 bank drop target assembly to replace mine??? I've already tried Marco,BAA.and PBL.!! PBL has a 3 bank and a 4 bank ,but not 6!! Is it possible to put in 2.3bank targets and wire them together??Thanks!!!!

I’ll be parting out my woodworm-infested Meteor shortly, they don’t eat metal so it will be fine. If anyone else needs parts, nows the time to get on the list

#1304 26 days ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Lovef2k my METEOR targets do not all reset! Ive been told the bottom rod has to be tight,but it still doesn't reset! So,I thought to replace them all!!!

My bank was finicky as all hell when I started on it. Took a couple of tries but I finally got it. Just keep at it!

#1305 26 days ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I’ll be parting out my woodworm-infested Meteor shortly, they don’t eat metal so it will be fine. If anyone else needs parts, nows the time to get on the list

I need a clean door (don't NEED anything except the door itself but I'm down for whatever) and the 13A-113-7 plastic, maybe more stuff.

I think I'm going to replace my displays with an XPIN 7-digit set so I'm less concerned about fixing the issues with my originals..
353571156285129825 (resized).JPG

6425422749675392351 (resized).JPG
#1306 26 days ago

I need the 1 & 3 pop bumper assembles

#1307 26 days ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

I need a clean door (don't NEED anything except the door itself but I'm down for whatever) and the 13A-113-7 plastic, maybe more stuff.
I think I'm going to replace my displays with an XPIN 7-digit set so I'm less concerned about fixing the issues with my originals..
[quoted image][quoted image]

Plastics are broken on this one as well, unfortunately, has metal plates cut to fit.
To add to that the coin door is already spoken for, sorry

Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

Alright I’ll take a look at them and let ya know. The entire bumper, top to bottom?

#1308 26 days ago

OK,I'll take the 6 bank drop target assembly!! Send me instructions and your price for shipping and handling,THANKS!!!!

#1309 26 days ago

Plastics are broken on this one as well, unfortunately, has metal plates cut to fit.
To add to that the coin door is already spoken for, sorry

Alright I’ll take a look at them and let ya know. The entire bumper, top to bottom?

No worries, thanks anyway

#1310 25 days ago

Fixed my HSTD light coming on when it shouldn't issue. Was reading the Flash Gordon owners thread and a FG owner was having the same issue. Some others suggested a bad SCR could cause this. I had been assuming interference of some sort because of the random sling firing issue happening on my game as well. Swapping my known working lamp driver from my Harlem Globetrotters into Meteor eliminated my issue. I played 4 games and watched that light. With the Meteor lamp driver, it would flicker when a drop target was hit, when the spinner got ripped, random other times. With the Harlem lamp driver, that light behaved as it should. There wasn't a single random sling fire during that whole session either. Not sure if coincidental or if the pinball gods have shone down on me. Now to go over the Meteor LDB and replace that SCR and check for any others that need it while I'm at it.

#1311 25 days ago

Alright I’ll take a look at them and let ya know. The entire bumper, top to bottom

Yes please. I need the pop bumper body but I'll take everything for spare. Let me know please.

#1312 24 days ago
Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

Quoted from hawkmoon:

OK,I'll take the 6 bank drop target assembly!! Send me instructions and your price for shipping and handling,THANKS!!!!

Welp I just finished picking up and ripping apart that VILE abomination of a pinball machine. The woodwork/termite infestation was abysmal and destroyed everything, but it was thankfully a dead colony. No eggs or larva at all.

However the ungodly amount of vile god damn cockroaches and palm-sized spiders that crawled out of every fucking cranny of that machine has broken my spirit.
I no longer believe “any game can be saved” this game deserved death. (Pictures will be posted in my thread for them tomorrow)

#1313 23 days ago

Welp I just finished picking up and ripping apart that VILE abomination of a pinball machine. The woodwork/termite infestation was abysmal and destroyed everything, but it was thankfully a dead colony. No eggs or larva at all.
However the ungodly amount of vile god damn cockroaches and palm-sized spiders that crawled out of every fucking cranny of that machine has broken my spirit.
I no longer believe “any game can be saved” this game deserved death. (Pictures will be posted in my thread for them tomorrow)

Sorry to hear that! Luckily Meteors are common.

#1314 23 days ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Sorry to hear that! Luckily Meteors are common.

Yes, some parts are going to help two other meteors my buddy is restoring and any others to all the other pinsiders looking for them. Which is nice

#1315 23 days ago

Hi all, just picked up a project Meteor. Overall in nice shape. Replaced and adjusted some flipper switches, cleaned up a few problem areas and aside from a flickering 2nd player display I'm only having one significant issue:

The kickout trough coil stops firing after the game warms up. I can turn the game on and get about 10 minutes of gameplay before the coil stops firing. The game cycles through the solenoids repeatedly until I manually move the ball off of the trough switch. It works again if I turn off the game for a bit and I've never seen it start working again once it has quit.

I have looked at the coil wiring and it looks fine. Operationally it is fine during those first 10 minutes which leads me to suspect something on the boards. Unforunately, I'm an EM guy and don't know where to start on the board. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Edit: behaves like this

#1316 22 days ago

Probably a header issue. Get the manual on IPDB, and identify which connector on your solenoid driver board goes out to your outhole kicker. That pin is probably garbage.

#1317 22 days ago

ANOTHER ONE AND I TOUCHED IT WITH MY DAMN HANDS WHILE REMOVING IT GOD DAMN I HATE FLORIDA

E2285151-595F-41E2-AB6C-E968425F2E15.jpeg
#1318 21 days ago

ANOTHER ONE AND I TOUCHED IT WITH MY DAMN HANDS WHILE REMOVING IT GOD DAMN I HATE FLORIDA[quoted image]

F That.

Going to try to get my project going here soon. Mine is in decent shape but the most important part (Left Flipper) isn't aligned properly. Hoping it isn't stripped screw holes on the underside. Needs bulbs and rubbers and probably a good cleaning.

#1319 21 days ago

Lol that looks like a monster spider. No thanks.

My Meteor is still a bit rough in spots (flippers need rebuilt because sometimes the ball will spring off if it hits while the flipper is engaged, it still needs new rubbers eventually, and the LED job isn't finished) but thankfully I already replaced the meteor targets and got them MOSTLY dialed in (still the occasional hiccup where a target drops and doesn't immediately register).

I jacked mine up to 9 degrees of slope and it's just silly. A bit unruly with my flippers in their current state. But definitely a hell of a lot more aggressive than it was previously. Damn I love this machine.

IMG_20191021_152455 (resized).jpgIMG_20191021_185020 (resized).jpg
#1320 21 days ago

ANOTHER ONE AND I TOUCHED IT WITH MY DAMN HANDS WHILE REMOVING IT GOD DAMN I HATE FLORIDA

Ever scene Arachnophobia? That's how it all starts, with a fresh shipment. Burn the game, burn your house; apartments.com

#1321 21 days ago
Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

Ever scene Arachnophobia? That's how it all starts, with a fresh shipment. Burn the game, burn your house; apartments.com

#1322 20 days ago
Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

Literally 5 people have said this to me since yesterday, I must be the only person who HASN’T seen it lmao

#1323 20 days ago

Literally 5 people have said this to me since yesterday, I must be the only person who HASN’T seen it lmao

I have a VHS copy. I'll send it to you in return for those pop bumper assemblies.

#1324 14 days ago

Alright, as I mentioned before. I am starting to think about cleaning up my Meteor. I have pre-ordered a CPR playfield but who knows when that will actually be available AND what issues it will have (can't be too bad with the simple playfield). If I go that route I would probably want to Clearcoat it to bullet proof it.

If you think about it though...$700 for the CPR playfield, $500 (no idea) for someone to clear coat (I am not a painter). Plus all the time it is gonna take to do the swap.

I am just not thinking it is worth it. I am never gonna get that much more for it. I also don't think it will improve the gameplay.

What are thoughts on just clear coating the playfield I have right now? It has some insert cupping and some ok touch ups. I can live with the touch ups and I am hopping the clear coat will address the cupping.

Other option would be a playfield protector for $80 (https://beehivepinball.bigcartel.com/product/playshield-playfield-protector)

Or a Hardtop which I haven't found...

#1325 14 days ago

I wonder what restored meteors will go for? $2500?

#1326 14 days ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I wonder what restored meteors will go for? $2500?

$2500 is the most one has sold for. Better question is: Is anyone looking for a $2500 Fully Restored Meteor? lol

#1327 14 days ago
Quoted from Y3AG3R:

$2500 is the most one has sold for. Better question is: Is anyone looking for a $2500 Fully Restored Meteor? lol

You never know, I sold a restored F2K for $6k in 2012. It all depends on who is looking at the time.

#1328 14 days ago

The person who clearcoats your playfield can address the cupping, but you'll probably have to specify that. You'll probably also have to reglue some or all of the inserts.

For many people it's just not worth it. Not a very popular game and the value is not climbing very fast. For me on the other hand, it's in my Top 3 classic Sterns and I'm looking forward to a smooth, clearcoated playfield.

#1329 14 days ago
Quoted from Y3AG3R:

Idk, were many people looking for $5k centaurs back when it was a sub-$2k game? once the full resto set is available for games the pricing structure changes, both for restored ones and for nice originals

#1330 14 days ago

Has anyone made a decal or stencil for the "2000" and triangle below the 6 bank drop target. Mine has been painted over very poorly...Probably even worse than what I could have done.

#1331 14 days ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Idk, were many people looking for $5k centaurs back when it was a sub-$2k game? once the full resto set is available for games the pricing structure changes, both for restored ones and for nice originals

This is a good point. Right now the only real option is NOS Playfield (only see 1 on ebay)...Once CPR comes out with their new PF maybe we will see a HEP Meteor lol high_end_pins

#1332 14 days ago

Probably personal preference, but I want my Meteor to play like a 40 year old game that I'm likely to face in a tourney. The one at PAPA has cupped inserts and they will definitely affect play, so I want mine to be close to that play experience.

#1333 14 days ago

I’m the one that restored and sold the 2500 meteor. I will tell you I could have sold it 10 times over. So the market is definitely there. I do miss the game. I have another in the waiting to restore. I plan to keep that one. The problem with restoring a meteor is it an awful lot of work for 2500. I do however enjoy bringing these game back to life. So it is worth it in that sense. The value of the classics will continue to rise look at the classic Bally’s. It has already started with the classic Sterns as well. The secret is out.

Mike

Quoted from zacaj:

#1334 12 days ago

Got my shitty old socket frame to sweet new circuit board conversion done last night.

I also have a question. There's a ceramic resistor up near the upper flipper. It's soldered to a terminal block and one side goes to a tab in the upper flipper EOS switch. The other side has nothing attached but it seems there once was as evidenced by old solder. I have to relocate it because it was in the way of the new light board. Anyone have a pic of how it should be wired?

IMG_20191030_221229_01 (resized).jpg
#1335 12 days ago

Answered my own question by looking through the pic gallery in this thread. The other leg of the resistor goes to the center lug of the upper flipper coil. Mine has been MIA since I've owned this game. I assume it is there to weaken the upper flipper. Will solder it back after verifying the resistor is good.

#1336 12 days ago

Still parting out my Meteor, and yes I am asking money for the parts
Had a misunderstanding with one person about that. I am answering PMs for those who already messaged me, just got back from vacation

#1337 11 days ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

Answered my own question by looking through the pic gallery in this thread. The other leg of the resistor goes to the center lug of the upper flipper coil. Mine has been MIA since I've owned this game. I assume it is there to weaken the upper flipper. Will solder it back after verifying the resistor is good.

That 1 ohm resistor was reading 39K ohms. Guess that is why it was disconnected. Game works fine without it. I don't have any 1 ohms on hand, but have some 2 ohm. Would that be OK to sub in?

#1338 11 days ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

That 1 ohm resistor was reading 39K ohms. Guess that is why it was disconnected. Game works fine without it. I don't have any 1 ohms on hand, but have some 2 ohm. Would that be OK to sub in?

Note: Meteor top flipper came in two styles of flipper coils...
1) "26-600/34-..." no need for added resistor.
2) "25-500/34-..." need added resistor.

#1339 11 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Note: Meteor top flipper came in two styles of flipper coils...
1) "26-600/34-..." no need for added resistor.
2) "25-500/34-..." need added resistor.

My upper flipper coil reads 25-475/34-4500

Also, can I use the 2 ohm resistor I have on hand? It's the same wattage as the failed 1 ohm.

#1340 11 days ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

My upper flipper coil reads 25-475/34-4500

That is a heavy duty coil for games like F2000/Split Seconds type games.
These games where made with the new style flipper assembly.
The coil you have is overrated for the game you have.
If you can not get the right coil, then I guess you are going to have to experiment
with resistor values.

#1341 11 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

That is a heavy duty coil for games like F2000/Split Seconds type games.
These games where made with the new style flipper assembly.
The coil you have is overrated for the game you have.
If you can not get the right coil, then I guess you are going to have to experiment
with resistor values.

Hmm. I have a parts PF from a classic Stern game I can look to see if it has the correct coil. The coil hasn't posed any issues, but I surely don't wanna break any targets or plastics. I appreciate the guidance. Am I correct in thinking the 2 ohm will lower this coil strength more than a 1 ohm?

#1342 11 days ago

Yes that resistor will reduce the strength more than the 1 ohm.

#1343 11 days ago

The 2 ohm works great. The upper flipper is definitely weaker but still able to hit all METEOR targets, etc. I think (fingers crossed) I can call Meteor done. Plays great and looks awesome.

#1344 10 days ago

I've been having an issue with my METEOR drop target bank where sometimes when the bank resets, the M and first E targets get reset a little too high, and then the auto-drop can't drop them again. This only happens maybe half the time. You can hear the click of the auto-drop mech but it doesn't catch to drop them. If I gently nudge it slightly lower, then the auto-drop mech can finish the job.

These are all repro targets from the same set. Is there anything I can do to adjust the mech so these don't get returned as far? Thanks!

#1345 10 days ago
Quoted from westofrome:

I've been having an issue with my METEOR drop target bank where sometimes when the bank resets, the M and first E targets get reset a little too high, and then the auto-drop can't drop them again. This only happens maybe half the time. You can hear the click of the auto-drop mech but it doesn't catch to drop them. If I gently nudge it slightly lower, then the auto-drop mech can finish the job.
These are all repro targets from the same set. Is there anything I can do to adjust the mech so these don't get returned as far? Thanks!

It seems that the M and E may be hanging up when fully raised. Lift them manually and see if they are binding somewhere.

#1346 9 days ago

And check the reset bar for alignment

#1347 5 days ago

I just installed a Pinball Electronics MPU so looking to mod it to run 7 digits. Can I just use any new 7 digit displays for this? Anyone know which ROM I would need. Thanks for any info. If there is a thread covering this please let me know. Cheers- Taylor

#1348 4 days ago

Anyone still making the aftermarket insert light boards for Meteor? I may want a complete set

#1349 4 days ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Anyone still making the aftermarket insert light boards for Meteor? I may want a complete set

Yes indeed.

https://pinballreplacementparts.com/products/stern-meteor-set-of-lamp-boards-to-replace-the-old-metal-ones

I just replaced mine last week with these. Fantastic product.

#1350 4 days ago

Woooah. That allows getting rid of the entire stupid assembly? $44 well spent.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 157.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
There are 1357 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 28.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside