• 1,270 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by KSUWildcatFan
  • Topic is favorited by 56 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

There have been 344 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190814_155651 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190814_155632 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190814_164507 (resized).jpg
PART_1565816496443 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20190814-054002 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190814-053957 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190814-053953 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190814_002227 (resized).jpg
841086E6-F74A-4AA4-9092-206A9D7676AB (resized).jpeg
P7260065 (resized).JPG
P7260064 (resized).JPG
Snapchat-1510299526 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_202341402 (resized).jpg
D66501A0-EC91-435B-B61D-E7F1556C4B5D (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 3.21.56 PM (resized).png
Meteor2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1270 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 26.
#1251 12 days ago

I don’t own a Meteor pinball machine yet, but I have a damn good topper here. Just have to buy a pin to go with my meteorite...

841086E6-F74A-4AA4-9092-206A9D7676AB (resized).jpeg
#1252 12 days ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I don’t own a Meteor pinball machine yet, but I have a damn good topper here. Just have to buy a pin to go with my meteorite...[quoted image]

awesome!

#1253 9 days ago

I'm still fighting my damn drop targets. I rebuilt the bank with my new targets and then screwed up the E, E and O leafs. They'll register if I press the back with my finger but not naturally with the target itself. I just can't seem to get those leafs right. B l a h.

I did scoop a CPR glass for $190 though! Excited for that to get here. Maybe it'll motivate me to work out the kinks on the drops so I can play again...

#1254 9 days ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

I'm still fighting my damn drop targets. I rebuilt the bank with my new targets and then screwed up the E, E and O leafs. They'll register if I press the back with my finger but not naturally with the target itself. I just can't seem to get those leafs right. B l a h.
I did scoop a CPR glass for $190 though! Excited for that to get here. Maybe it'll motivate me to work out the kinks on the drops so I can play again...

The good thing with that bank is that it's easy to remove from the playfield to work on it. I would first clean the switch contacts with rubbing alcohol. Remove them from the back plate and bend them to give more tension on the leaves. Maybe the reset bar is not dropping enough to allow the links to drop far enough to let the fingers lift/activate the switches?

#1255 8 days ago

I was able to work on and test the whole assembly on the bench. Just used a variable bench supply to work the coils.

#1256 8 days ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

The good thing with that bank is that it's easy to remove from the playfield to work on it. I would first clean the switch contacts with rubbing alcohol. Remove them from the back plate and bend them to give more tension on the leaves. Maybe the reset bar is not dropping enough to allow the links to drop far enough to let the fingers lift/activate the switches?

Not sure really. I noticed the M is the only one that really drops in the exact perfect spot. Seems all the others drop TOO far which can prevent a target from registering the full press.

I'll get back to it. Hauling my new world cup 94 home now, then hauling Af-Tor up (sold) and possibly dragging black Knight 2000 up as well. Would like to be dragging a space shuttle down shortly thereafter

#1257 7 days ago

Not sure really. I noticed the M is the only one that really drops in the exact perfect spot. Seems all the others drop TOO far which can prevent a target from registering the full press.
I'll get back to it. Hauling my new world cup 94 home now, then hauling Af-Tor up (sold) and possibly dragging black Knight 2000 up as well. Would like to be dragging a space shuttle down shortly thereafter

That's a lot of moving around lol. You may have noticed that the Stern drop target banks of this era were cheaply made. Inferior metal I guess. The target link are usually egged out around the holes that ride on the shafts. This could cause some issues if they are really bad in your case. Even the shafts get grooves from the links moving around creating even more slop. But I never seen any of them bad enough to cause the switches not to activate.

I was talking with Marc Mandeltort of Marco Spec about the bad Stern parts. He said he would be willing to reproduce some of these parts. All he asks is for the part numbers. He does all of his parts in stainless steel. I think it's time to get this ball rolling!

#1258 7 days ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Should be fine. I’m using a backglass with red film from the factory.

Can you post a pic of what this looks like please?

#1260 6 days ago

Thanks but wanted to see it powered up

Did some games come like this from the factory?

#1261 6 days ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

That's a lot of moving around lol. You may have noticed that the Stern drop target banks of this era were cheaply made. Inferior metal I guess. The target link are usually egged out around the holes that ride on the shafts. This could cause some issues if they are really bad in your case. Even the shafts get grooves from the links moving around creating even more slop. But I never seen any of them bad enough to cause the switches not to activate.
I was talking with Marc Mandeltort of Marco Spec about the bad Stern parts. He said he would be willing to reproduce some of these parts. All he asks is for the part numbers. He does all of his parts in stainless steel. I think it's time to get this ball rolling!

The whole bank worked perfectly with regard to registering hits before I took it apart again and replaced the targets and springs themselves. At this point I'm thinking two things are happening:

1) something isn't quite right with reassembly
2) I've bent the leafs waaaaay out of wack

I might just replace the problem leafs and go from there. I'm not good at all with leaf adjustment so bringing these back, adjusting from under the PF, is probably going to be exceedingly difficult for me. Doh.

#1262 6 days ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Yes, some were done this way from factory much like gottlieb did blue for alot of theirs and green for HH. I just received my red theater gel material to do this to mine.

#1263 5 days ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

It's a mystery to me what the red score backglasses were for. One thing to note is the red version does not have the HSTD window for the lamp behind it. From IPDB, Meteor was also assembled in Australia, could be the source of the red glass? There were also knock down games made, 423 of them so maybe the red glass was from those? I have noticed that some export games, Bally and Stern had different backglasses than the US versions. Kiss for example.

I have a NOS red version that has some minor art separation in the center, I have not installed it in the game to see what it looks like.

#1264 5 days ago

Back in business! Finally got that damn drop target bank working fairly well with the new targets and springs. Probably still a little bit of fine adjustment to go on a couple of the leafs. But the glass is finally back on and I can play again!

New BG from CPR arrives tomorrow (still need to order the trim for it) and I need to actually install the comet LED adapter board properly so my controlled lights work properly. But, getting there...
IMG_20190814_002227 (resized).jpg

#1265 5 days ago

Back in business! Finally got that damn drop target bank working fairly well with the new targets and springs. Probably still a little bit of fine adjustment to go on a couple of the leafs. But the glass is finally back on and I can play again!
New BG from CPR arrives tomorrow (still need to order the trim for it) and I need to actually install the comet LED adapter board properly so my controlled lights work properly. But, getting there...
[quoted image]

Congrats! Glad you got it working again. That's a great-looking game you got there! Looks like CPR has a couple different colored Meteor backglasses to choose from, which one did you choose?

#1266 5 days ago

I won an auction for the 'blue' version. Usually the auctions are for misprints and what not but the one I won just had a couple of scratches on the outside. Paid $196.50 shipped for it which I figured was okay. Better than the glass I have on it now.

Screenshot_20190814-053953 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190814-053957 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190814-054002 (resized).jpg
#1267 4 days ago

Oooo

PART_1565816496443 (resized).jpeg
#1268 4 days ago

Yikes.

IMG_20190814_164507 (resized).jpg
#1269 4 days ago

Yikes.[quoted image]

So which one is which?

#1270 4 days ago

Original backglass is the one that looks washed out AF. Colors look just fine in natural lighting, though. I dunno.

IMG_20190814_155632 (resized).jpgIMG_20190814_155651 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
$ 157.00
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
There are 1270 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 26.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside