0C (resized).jpg
0A (resized).jpg
IMG_4179 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4176 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4174 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4175 (resized).jpeg
20231230_105158 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,930 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 59.
#901 5 years ago

I somehow parlayed a family vacation into a trip to pick up a couple of pins and one of them was a Meteor in pretty good shape. It's such a great game that I have been hunting for a while. I have a couple of questions as I go through and tackle some gremlins and get going on my to do list.

Flipper assemblies. Do the full ones from pinball life have the double stacked switch on the right flipper? Also, any thoughts on going with a weaker coil on the upper flipper to protect the precious drop targets?

Lastly, would someone be kind enough to take a few high quality photos of their playfield if it isn't incredibly worn? I need them as reference for some minor touch up. Bonus if they are hosted in high res off site (google photos, photobucket etc).

Thank you in advance. This will be a HUGE help, especially the photos.

#902 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Flipper assemblies. Do the full ones from pinball life have the double stacked switch on the right flipper?

No you will have to buy an additional switch.

Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Also, any thoughts on going with a weaker coil on the upper flipper to protect the precious drop targets?

There should be a 1 ohm 5W cement resistor near the upper flipper to reduce the flipper strength. You can also gap the EOS switch a little wider.

#903 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Wow, nice find!!
(I'll give you $550!)

Get in line! Locals get first dibs

2 weeks later
#904 5 years ago

Thanks for the help here. Got her up and running and playing beautifully.

I'm guessing this is like finding a unicorn but does anyone know a source for repro backglass that are available anywhere? I was considering doing the restore route through bgresto but I would rather just get one in really nice shape or a repro.

#905 5 years ago

I'm hoping with cpr's new method it's just a matter of time but I don't know of anyone making one right now

#906 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Thanks for the help here. Got her up and running and playing beautifully.
I'm guessing this is like finding a unicorn but does anyone know a source for repro backglass that are available anywhere? I was considering doing the restore route through bgresto but I would rather just get one in really nice shape or a repro.

Mayfair Amusements stocks 1000s of used backglasses. Bgresto is the only one making repro Meteor backglasses. Pinsider Racingpin has a Meteor backglass last time we talked. Also try Pinsiders too-many-pins and ibuypinballs as they have a lot of used backglasses.

If the above leads don’t work try posting in these Facebook groups:

Pinball Machines and Parts Wanted
Pinball And Arcades <Parts only>

#907 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Mayfair Amusements stocks 1000s of used backglasses. Bgresto is the only one making repro Meteor backglasses. Pinsider Racingpin has a Meteor backglass last time we talked. Also try Pinsiders too-many-pins and ibuypinballs as they have a lot of used backglasses.
If the above leads don’t work try posting in these Facebook groups:
Pinball Machines and Parts Wanted
Pinball And Arcades &lt;Parts only&gt;

For the record, I believe that BGResto's does NOT include any mirroring, however. (Something to keep in mind, at least.)

#908 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

For the record, I believe that BGResto's does NOT include any mirroring, however. (Something to keep in mind, at least.)

You are correct in that they don’t offer mirroring. Look at the Stern Nugent backglass comparison, nos vs. repro on their site

Cpr may make a Meteor backglass one day, but they have a lot going on right now, and the Meteor playfield has been in their boutique zone for several years. I don’t know how motivated they will be to make a backglass

Shay Arcade Group started making backglasses for some 80s games in recent months and has more in the pipeline; EBD, Fathom, Black Hole, Etc. If someone asks him to he may be willing to start making Meteor backglasses. He uses the same silk screening and mirroring techniques used by pinball manufacturers in the 70s and 80s.

#909 5 years ago

I do still have this backglass. Reds are nice and most issues are in the blacks

IMG_2176 (resized).JPGIMG_2176 (resized).JPGIMG_2175 (resized).JPGIMG_2175 (resized).JPG

$50 plus S/H

Mike V

#910 5 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

I do still have this backglass. Reds are nice and most issues are in the blacks
[quoted image][quoted image]
$50 plus S/H
Mike V

Thanks for the information folks and thanks for the offer Mike. Mine is about the same condition wise. I am just a little neurotic in regards to getting my pins as nice as possible. Would love a repro, despite the gray/mirroring. I could keep my original for a potential buyer that preferred it.

Odd. I contacted BGresto about this very topic via email and they did not respond and it has been a few days I think.

#911 5 years ago

<blockquote cite="#4524206"
Odd. I contacted BGresto about this very topic via email and they did not respond and it has been a few days I think.

Bgresto is a side business for him and he has a 100% travel day job. He only responds when he’s home, usually on the weekends.

#912 5 years ago

Is it possible to find a nice original spinner out there?

#913 5 years ago

Meteor backglass spotted in the marketplace.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/67434

#914 5 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Is it possible to find a nice original spinner out there?

Not really. It's much more likely to make one...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-club-we-will-let-you-know-when-the-danger-is-past#post-2598502

#915 5 years ago

That's me. I can touch up the missing paint in top corner if anyone is on the fence, only the black is missing. I also have a lot of random playfield parts if anyone is looking. I bought a partial game out of warehouse and frankenstiened one good game out of 1 and a half games.

1 week later
#916 5 years ago

I just got a replacement J27 1700 coil for the slings and it looks so much thinner than one of the originals..........why is that? Has anyone else used these replacements and are they strong enough?

Below is a link to a photo of an original versus the replacement from my restoration thread - the winding on the coil is not as "robust" as the original. I want to make sure this is the right thing before wiring it back into my game.

Thanks

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_153442261112912&key=c7cb1c7c419234bebfc593e65880ba05&libId=jkwjk0xk0100qp6d000DAisltoqps&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fpinside.com%2Fpinball%2Fforum%2Ftopic%2Fmeteor-restoration-1&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.pinside.com%2F2%2F29%2F2290eefe28e951564239943d5a5f3cf9d50a1b48%2Fresized%2Flarge%2F2290eefe28e951564239943d5a5f3cf9d50a1b48.jpg&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fpinside.com%2Fpinball%2Fforum%2Ftopic%2Fmeteor-restoration-1%2Fpage%2F2&title=Meteor%20restoration........%20%7C%20Restorations%20documented%20%7C%20Pinside.com&txt=

#917 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

I just got a replacement J27 1700 coil for the slings and it looks so much thinner than one of the originals..........why is that? Has anyone else used these replacements and are they strong enough?
Below is a link to a photo of an original versus the replacement from my restoration thread - the winding on the coil is not as "robust" as the original. I want to make sure this is the right thing before wiring it back into my game.
Thanks
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&amp;jsonp=vglnk_153442261112912&amp;key=c7cb1c7c419234bebfc593e65880ba05&amp;libId=jkwjk0xk0100qp6d000DAisltoqps&amp;loc=https%3A%2F%2Fpinside.com%2Fpinball%2Fforum%2Ftopic%2Fmeteor-restoration-1&amp;v=1&amp;out=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.pinside.com%2F2%2F29%2F2290eefe28e951564239943d5a5f3cf9d50a1b48%2Fresized%2Flarge%2F2290eefe28e951564239943d5a5f3cf9d50a1b48.jpg&amp;ref=https%3A%2F%2Fpinside.com%2Fpinball%2Fforum%2Ftopic%2Fmeteor-restoration-1%2Fpage%2F2&amp;title=Meteor%20restoration........%20%7C%20Restorations%20documented%20%7C%20Pinside.com&amp;txt=

Measure it with an ohm meter compared to the other one.

#918 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Measure it with an ohm meter compared to the other one.

Thanks for the tip - will do.

#919 5 years ago

Can anyone spot the feature mod on this playfield? Wonder if/how they got it to work.

Meteor PlayfieldMeteor Playfield

#920 5 years ago

That's funny, I was thinking about how you could do that just the other day! There are already switches, you'd just need to hack up a way to get the coil power there. I'm sure there's a way to use some unused transistors from the SDU.

#921 5 years ago

I don't see it...pretty sure that is just some brown rubber on the dead bumpers if that's what people are seeing.

#922 5 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

I don't see it...pretty sure that is just some brown rubber on the dead bumpers if that's what people are seeing.

Oh the outlane gate? Wow, took me a long time to see that.

#923 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

That's funny, I was thinking about how you could do that just the other day! There are already switches, you'd just need to hack up a way to get the coil power there. I'm sure there's a way to use some unused transistors from the SDU.

Could have just been done EM style using a relay. No switch in the shooter lane though that I recall... I wonder what triggers it

#924 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I wonder what triggers it

Someone guessed it might have been activated by lamp(s) which seems plausible.

#925 5 years ago

I had a hard time seeing it too. My Meteor doesn't need an outlane gate. It is already pretty easy to keep the ball in play with the outlane posts. I was considering taking out those posts to make the game harder. I can't imagine making the game easier.

#926 5 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

My Meteor doesn't need an outlane gate. It is already pretty easy to keep the ball in play with the outlane posts. I was considering taking out those posts to make the game harder. I can't imagine making the game easier.

Gotta agree. If anything make it harder, not easier.

#927 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I did all the mods to install 7-digit displays and assembled Pinitech kits for the Meteor. It was a lot of work but the Pinitech kits save a ton of money. I think the blue looks great. At some point I will post a detailed list of everything needed to do this mod if anyone is interested.

[quoted image]

hi - would be good if you could share details on this. Got a meteor on the way in and this is a mod I want to make ASAP!

2 weeks later
#928 5 years ago

Folks - I have a coil on my coin door that seems to do little except hoover up power - it vibrates then if I add a credit it stops for a while - what is this for? It seems to be contributing to a power through the coin door problem also (like the coin door as current they it!)

C075C807-2874-4732-8427-DC7A17D799AA (resized).jpegC075C807-2874-4732-8427-DC7A17D799AA (resized).jpeg

#929 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Folks - I have a coil on my coin door that seems to do little except hoover up power - it vibrates then if I add a credit it stops for a while - what is this for? It seems to be contributing to a power through the coin door problem also (like the coin door as current they it!)
[quoted image]

That's the coin lockout, so that coins put in when the game is off will be rejected. I always just remove them since my games are on free play

#930 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

That's the coin lockout, so that coins put in when the game is off will be rejected. I always just remove them since my games are on free play

You remove them or just disconnect them? Wouldn't it be better to just leave it in place (but disconnect) so it can easily be converted back to the quarter sucking machine it was meant to be?

#931 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

You remove them or just disconnect them? Wouldn't it be better to just leave it in place (but disconnect) so it can easily be converted back to the quarter sucking machine it was meant to be?

Disconnect, yes, but I didn't want to go into clipping the wire, wrapping the end in tape, securing it, etc

#932 5 years ago

Having problems with my lower flippers never staying completely in the down position. Releasing the flipper button, the flipper returns, bounces briefly at the bottom, then stops a little above the alignment post. Occasionally it will stop as much as 3/8" or so up. It's causing a lot of problems with dead bounces and center post passes.

I'm using the new complete flipper assemblies from pinballlife (which are not on the site anymore?) and new flipper shoe and shaft assemblies from them as well. It seems like a stronger flipper return spring could fix this, but how do I find one that's stiffer? I don't see many springs out there, and none have published rates. Is there a better solution?

#933 5 years ago
Quoted from CaffeineSlug:

Having problems with my lower flippers never staying completely in the down position. Releasing the flipper button, the flipper returns, bounces briefly at the bottom, then stops a little above the alignment post. Occasionally it will stop as much as 3/8" or so up. It's causing a lot of problems with dead bounces and center post passes.
I'm using the new complete flipper assemblies from pinballlife (which are not on the site anymore?) and new flipper shoe and shaft assemblies from them as well. It seems like a stronger flipper return spring could fix this, but how do I find one that's stiffer? I don't see many springs out there, and none have published rates. Is there a better solution?

How much of a gap did you put between the shoe and the bushing before you tightened the nut to the shaft? If there is not enough gap it can bind.

#934 5 years ago

I think I've tried all the gaps. When I gap the flipper bat up a bit, it just falls back down when I lower the playfield.

#935 5 years ago

I think I've tried all the gaps. When I gap the flipper bat up a bit, it just falls back down when I lower the playfield.

If it isn't binding it's got to be the springs. Do you have the old springs? any Springs? Just cut the spring and make a new pig tail if you have to.

#936 5 years ago

If you gap it too low the plunger will drag on the sleeve.

#937 5 years ago

Where's a good source for buying pins and connectors? I know someone mentioned where to buy with a link, etc but damn if I can find it now.

Thanks.

#938 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Where's a good source for buying pins and connectors? I know someone mentioned where to buy with a link, etc but damn if I can find it now.
Thanks.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/default.asp

1 week later
#940 5 years ago

Does anyone happen to have good pictures of the neck attached to the meteor cabinet? The head on mine seemed like it was tilted forward and I think it was replaced. Mine is a rectangle the same height on all for sides. If I'm not mistaken it should be taller in the front and the sides angled. I'd like to confirm that and the correct measurements.

Does anyone reproduce that neck section for the old Stern games? If not I know someone who does wood working and could make one with the proper measurements.

#941 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Does anyone happen to have good pictures of the neck attached to the meteor cabinet? The head on mine seemed like it was tilted forward and I think it was replaced. Mine is a rectangle the same height on all for sides. If I'm not mistaken it should be taller in the front and the sides angled. I'd like to confirm that and the correct measurements.
Does anyone reproduce that neck section for the old Stern games? If not I know someone who does wood working and could make one with the proper measurements.

Ask cottonm4 as he's made several necks for his classic Sterns

#942 5 years ago

The base for the head does taper. Here's a few pics, remember the front piece needs a gap to keep the glass edge protected.

20180919_193051 (resized).jpg20180919_193051 (resized).jpg20180919_193124 (resized).jpg20180919_193124 (resized).jpg20180919_193138 (resized).jpg20180919_193138 (resized).jpg20180919_193143 (resized).jpg20180919_193143 (resized).jpg
#943 5 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

The base for the head does taper. Here's a few pics, remember the front piece needs a gap to keep the glass edge protected.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you for the pictures. It confirmed what I thought. Someone replaced the neck on my machine and it isn't tapered correctly. It explains why the head was leaning forward.

I had to take the machine down to store it temporarily and noticed it. When I pull it back out to setup again I'll have to see about replacing it.

#944 5 years ago

3 ball or 5 ball? I changed mine to 3 after one day of owning machine and rolling it over.

#945 5 years ago
Quoted from Heaterguy:

3 ball or 5 ball?

3 ball. The ball is hard to drain with the outhole posts and the center post. I think i'm going to pull out my outlane posts to make games more of a challenge.

#946 5 years ago

God no 5 ball.

#947 5 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

3 ball. The ball is hard to drain with the outhole posts and the center post. I think i'm going to pull out my outlane posts to make games more of a challenge.

Just remove the outlane rubber. It’ll have same effect and if you remove the post you’ll start getting playfield wear where the post was

1 week later
#948 5 years ago

Repro backglass with mirror.....happy days!
20181002_180111 (resized).jpg20181002_180111 (resized).jpg

meteor001(1) (resized).jpgmeteor001(1) (resized).jpg
#949 5 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Looks nice. Who did you buy it from? Is that silver mirroring or gray?

#950 5 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

That purple, wow!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 169.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

There are 2,930 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 59.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-club-we-will-let-you-know-when-the-danger-is-past/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.