• 1,528 posts
  • 150 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 78 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

There have been 383 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200207_205137 (resized).jpg
20200207_205111_HDR (resized).jpg
7DAA0E9C-938D-41B9-BC14-7C687BD1FD79 (resized).jpeg
20200203_172741 (resized).jpg
20200203_165727 (resized).jpg
20200203_165408 (resized).jpg
57E922E3-0D03-4615-9108-01C544731483 (resized).jpeg
170CA018-1962-463F-839F-0221B14F753E (resized).jpeg
D857A421-5292-43FF-967A-EA25CBC5CA01 (resized).jpeg
64C8AA6C-87FF-4055-AF6F-253F3A407ACF (resized).jpeg
20200129_211322 (resized).jpg
20200129_211304 (resized).jpg
20200129_211257 (resized).jpg
20200129_211242 (resized).jpg
20200129_211235 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1528 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 31.
#851 1 year ago

Looking for advice regarding my 6-target bank. Three of the targets (TEO) do not get dropped during the solenoid test. Coil resistance is all in spec, and they all pulse during the test, so I suspect it's something mechanical. I've cleaned the targets and the fingers they sit on in the raised position. Anything else I might want to check?

#852 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Thanks guys, I thought that wasn't right. I have disassembled the target and actually put it back the same way (doh!!) but as you say, hopefully it will work ok.
Yes, they all appear to be that way.
Thanks for the information - I'll turn them around if they look like they need it.
Wow, damn these old Sterns!!! hahaha.
-Nate

It’s common, Stern employees goofed up these switches a lot apparently

#853 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

It’s common, Stern employees goofed up these switches a lot apparently

I would imagine Stern employees weren’t assembling switches. Since Williams had the same problem I’d guess their parts manufacturer was responsible.

#854 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

So, I have been working on my coin door. It had one broken .25 mech installed. I just put in a pair of .25 metal mechs and one SBA mech on the door. Also found that two slots were covered in duct tape to keep people from using those slots. Took a while to get that and all the old dried up adhesive off.
After all these years it is hard to tell what parts may have been mixed up. The game currently has the SBA mech on the right and the .25 on the left and in the center. Is that how these were normally configured? I have a blackout and it has the SBA in the middle and the .25 mechs on the right and left. I wasn't sure if the Stern should be like that or the way it is now. If your machine came with two .25 and one SBA mechs how are they positioned?
Still need to find the mounting bracket and switch for below the middle mech. It looks like all three switches are the same. If anyone has an old coin door being parted out I could use those parts and a few screws. Maybe even one of the white .25 entry slot plastic pieces.

The sba coin was released around the same time as Meteor. I have seen this game with 2 slot coin doors with no sba slot and also 3 slot doors with the sba slot in the center.

I think it's possible that the sba was added to the game later in production. Notice that Bally did the same by adding sba to SMB, xenon FG and EBD in or around 1980.

Personally i like the 2 slot door for Meteor. If you plan to use the sba put it in the center slot. You can change the amount of credits given per dollar coin on the mpu dips. IIRC you can choose between 4 thru 7 credits per coin.

#855 1 year ago

Thank you for the suggestions. I also have a Blackout and it has the SBA mech in the center. I wasn't sure if Stern was setup differently. I'll move that slot for the SBA to the center like my other game. Still need to find a bracket and switch for that center mech but can add that later when I find it.

#856 1 year ago

Thank you for the suggestions. I also have a Blackout and it has the SBA mech in the center. I wasn't sure if Stern was setup differently. I'll move that slot for the SBA to the center like my other game. Still need to find a bracket and switch for that center mech but can add that later when I find it.

I would love to help u with those parts but all mine are in storage until our house is finished. Just so you know Stern vid games w the black doors have the same inards and a ton of them on epay right now. The only difference is the absence of the white credit button.

#857 1 year ago
Quoted from CaffeineSlug:

Looking for advice regarding my 6-target bank. Three of the targets (TEO) do not get dropped during the solenoid test. Coil resistance is all in spec, and they all pulse during the test, so I suspect it's something mechanical. I've cleaned the targets and the fingers they sit on in the raised position. Anything else I might want to check?

Fixed the problem. Polished up the metal bar that the plates sit on, and that let one more target work. Added a piece of electrical tape to the metal plates where they contact the bar, and that fixed the other two. All working now!

#858 1 year ago

Can someone confirm what power cord came on these when new? Is it a flat one or a round cord? The one on mine is a yellow cord that I think started life as an extension cord. I'd like to replace it with the correct one.

#859 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I would love to help u with those parts but all mine are in storage until our house is finished. Just so you know Stern vid games w the black doors have the same inards and a ton of them on epay right now. The only difference is the absence of the white credit button.

If you ever do get to them I'd be glad to send you a set of the light shields I made for installing LEDs in the coin door.

#860 1 year ago

If you ever do get to them I'd be glad to send you a set of the light shields I made for installing LEDs in the coin door.

Thanks. Get the power cord from Pinball resource. Flat one its like 14 feet long and prespliced.

2 weeks later
#861 1 year ago

Anyone want to sell me a nice Meteor? Somewhere in Nevada, Arizona, California, or Utah. Thanks.
-Ned

#862 1 year ago

Recently snagged a project machine. Looking forward to putting some life back in it!

IMG_7770 (resized).JPG

IMG_7771 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#863 1 year ago

Does anyone have pics of the 6 bank target removed from the machine showing all wire connections?

#864 1 year ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Does anyone have pics of the 6 bank target removed from the machine showing all wire connections?

I just pulled mine out last night to rebuild it and install new targets since the O just broke off. I can take some pictures of it. Do you need pictures of the wires on the switches or solenoids?

#865 1 year ago

Maybe these pictures will help.

IMG_1037 (resized).JPGIMG_1038 (resized).JPGIMG_1040 (resized).JPGIMG_1041 (resized).JPG
#866 1 year ago

Thank you! Those are great pics!

#868 1 year ago

I was wondering about this bug the other day. Is it totally random or does it happen after 255 consecutive games?

#869 1 year ago

It's only happened to me twice in many many many games. You need 7x bonus, and then hit the spinner, then get collect bonus on the outlanes. Think that's the way it works....

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/hqY7fAb2E28

#870 1 year ago

It's a combination of things to happen, and it's because of a single memory address being used for two different counters.

If you use the official 'alternate' ROM, it fixes this issue.

#871 1 year ago

Anyone have a good plastic that goes over the “meteor” drop bank they are willing to part with?

#872 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

It's a combination of things to happen, and it's because of a single memory address being used for two different counters.
If you use the official 'alternate' ROM, it fixes this issue.

I still need to combine ROMs to create a set that does both the 7-digit mod and the bug fix. As a side note I'm going to try to get it loaded onto one of the aftermarket MPU boards...

#873 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

I still need to combine ROMs to create a set that does both the 7-digit mod and the bug fix. As a side note I'm going to try to get it loaded onto one of the aftermarket MPU boards...

Which 7-digit mod? The OS conversion, or the hacked-on version?

#874 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Which 7-digit mod? The OS conversion, or the hacked-on version?

I didn't know there are two? I used this one and did the very simple wiring mod: http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

If there is an OS version, it would be nice if it was put into the Alltek board with a switch to select...

#875 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

I didn't know there are two? I used this one and did the very simple wiring mod: http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html
If there is an OS version, it would be nice if it was put into the Alltek board with a switch to select...

Was asking because the current OS 7-digit has the memory bug in it. (I prefer that version though, as the 7-digit hacked version adds a handful of repeating unnecessary calls, and therefor slows down overall processing - most noticeable in the speed of the bonus countdown..)

#876 1 year ago

Whoever is making these should make the 1s digit increment on a rollover and prevent the need for new 7 digit displays

What language is this stuff written in?

#877 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Whoever is making these should make the 1s digit increment on a rollover and prevent the need for new 7 digit displays
What language is this stuff written in?

Assembly.
And there is a /10 version. (Personal preference, though, I have to have my scores olend in 0.)

#878 1 year ago

My rocket lights all went out and no longer light? Alone with my meteor wow lights too! Has anyone had this issue before? Ground is fine I tested each lamp individually with a known good lamp in lamp test mode. They work when tested this way with a alligator clip tested to both the working and non working lights. I have also swapped out driver boards all give the same issue? Also swapped out to a brand new alltek lamp board and thee same issue remains.

#879 1 year ago

Hi all. Joining the club hopefully next week.
Anywhere to buy a new repro backglass at all? I think Bgresto have them but not mirror effect only grey?

Thanks

#880 1 year ago
Quoted from Jakusu:

Anywhere to buy a new repro backglass at all? I think Bgresto have them but not mirror effect only grey?
Thanks

no but hopefully John Greatwich can make it. There may be a copyright issue since this game has a trademark and was made for the movie.

#881 1 year ago
Quoted from Jakusu:

Thanks

In my experience with bgresto you can send your mirrored original backglass to him and he can print the new art on it and send it back. I had him do that with a stern Dracula and a Williams black knight a while back and they both came out amazing! He does great work. But you must have patience, it does take a while he is very busy.

#882 1 year ago

Does anyone know what the Q-resistor # associated with the 4X bonus lamp? Is it just me or is it NOT listed in the lamp schematics section? I must just be missing it?

Thanks!

#883 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Does anyone know what the Q-resistor # associated with the 4X bonus lamp? Is it just me or is it NOT listed in the lamp schematics section? I must just be missing it?
Thanks!

There is a legend on the lower right of the Lamp board schematic (page 29 in the linked schematic). Looks like its J2 pin 2, Q3. It just says "4X"

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1580/Stern_1979_Meteor_Manual.pdf

#884 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

There is a legend on the lower right of the Lamp board schematic (page 29 in the linked schematic). Looks like its J2 pin 2, Q3. It just says "4X"
https://www.ipdb.org/files/1580/Stern_1979_Meteor_Manual.pdf

Very interesting indeed. The IPDB "Schematics" has the same info as a printed manual I saw tonight that leaves 4x/2x/1x out completely. The full manual you posted/IPDB does have the info, although when we tested it we got Q31 for the 4x lamp. Anyway I'll post this is anyone misses it like i did. Thanks for looking it up for me.

1x - J2-14 Q6
2x - J2-16 Q19 "Lamp Driver board page - 2X lamp goes to J2-15, not J3-15"
4x - J2-2 Q3 or Q31 Update - confirmed on my board Q31. Q3 is shoot again...so they probably just left the '1' off

2 weeks later
#885 1 year ago

Just joined the club and my Meteor needs a LOT of work. I've been able to track down most of the parts I may eventually need except for a replacement coin door. Somebody went at this thing with a crowbar/hammer. Any ideas where I could find a replacement or what other machines would have a compatible size/setup. Not too concerned about having 3 coin slots since it will be HUO on Free Play. Thanks.

#886 1 year ago
Quoted from sideshowbob:

Just joined the club and my Meteor needs a LOT of work. I've been able to track down most of the parts I may eventually need except for a replacement coin door. Somebody went at this thing with a crowbar/hammer. Any ideas where I could find a replacement or what other machines would have a compatible size/setup. Not too concerned about having 3 coin slots since it will be HUO on Free Play. Thanks.

Any coin door from 70's Chicago Coin or 70's/80's Stern.

#887 1 year ago
Quoted from sideshowbob:

If you find a replacement coin door I could use a couple parts off your trashed one if they are still good. Need an extra coin switch with bracket and a couple if the screws.

#888 1 year ago

With CPR's announcement of their changing business model people are throwing up ideas for all sorts of brand new products for CPR to manufacture. I am asking CPR to manufacture Quicksilver, Nine Ball and Meteor. If you would order a Quicksilver, Nine Ball or Meteor playfield(s) from CPR mention it in the attached forum. See my post 275.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announce-cpr-begins-its-new-business-model/page/6#post-4490140
If CPR won't commit to making Quicksilver, Nine Ball and Meteor playfields we could ask Mirco, but a CPR would probably run $700 and Mirco playfields are $1,000.

#889 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

While the LED boards are complete, they're on a temporary pause right now, as I'm working on something better, with help and permission from herg. Something MUCH, MUCH better.

Any news on the LED board or whatever this is? I'm tired of having to fix the rocket ladder sockets constantly. A light board would be awesome!

#890 1 year ago

I'd love that light board too!!

#891 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Any news on the LED board or whatever this is? I'm tired of having to fix the rocket ladder sockets constantly. A light board would be awesome!

Drop me a PM.
I have not had a large run done. But if they are really needed, send me a PM and let me know. If I get a small quantity, I may be able to place a small order, to help you guys from needing to do more work.

The board for the METEOR drop targets isn't done yet, but available ARE:
(1) The Rocket Light Board, and
(2) The Spinner lights.

So, let me know what you want, and I will get prices for a small run.

#892 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

The board for the METEOR drop targets isn't done yet, but available ARE:
(1) The Rocket Light Board, and
(2) The Spinner lights.

Put me down for a rocket light board please.......

What's the "spinner lights??"

-Nate

#893 1 year ago

-Nate

The light row by the spinner I assume

#894 1 year ago

Put me down for a rocket light board please.......
-Nate

Send me a PM.

Yes, it's the same setup as the three rocket lights, so it has the same issues.

#895 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Send me a PM.
Yes, it's the same setup as the three rocket lights, so it has the same issues.

Edit to add:
This is NOT a production run. This is a very small run for those that just HAVE to have the boards because of non-working strips. (Rocket Bonus & Spinner Score). Because of this, the PCBs will be *RED* instead of black, and the price will be HIGHER. I can't estimate a price until I know how many are needed, but I am expecting $125 for the Rocket Bonus.

Because of the price, I am only expecting those that are having issues with the lamp strips to want to order them. The price will vary depending on how many are ordered, so the final price will be adjusted accordingly. I am not making any money off of these, as I get a rush out of people having something in their game with my name on it.

I won't know on shipping time until I get proper price, which should be by the end of this week. I am GUESSING it will be a 4-week turnaround, so middle ot August.

As of right now, I have people interested in 6 Rocket Bonus and 4 Spinner Score. I ahve to get the files together and sent off to the manufacturer. Would like to place order Friday (to avoid an unnecessary two-day delay) so I'll close orders on Noon EST Friday.

#896 1 year ago

Just picked up a Meteor. Non-Working but in excellent condition for $500. Backglass only needed very light touch up. Playfield needs the black on the inserts painted but that's it. The cabinet needs very little touch up.

I had to work on the Mpu, new pia and some light acid damage work. Driver board needed a trace fixed. Lamp board needed one scr.

20180715_213744 (resized).jpgIMG952018071395161200416 (resized).jpgIMG952018071395161217924 (resized).jpgIMG952018071395161228819 (resized).jpgIMG952018071395161425707 (resized).jpgIMG952018071395161803741 (resized).jpgIMG95201807139516181168695LL (resized).jpgIMG95201807139516184441695LL (resized).jpg

#897 1 year ago

Okay, update for anyone still on the fence:
Expected cost of the boards will be:
Rocket Bonus: $100
Spinner Score: $50.

Depending on how many people want them, they **LIKELY** will be cheaper. Expected delivery date, August 17th, but could be later.
Will place order next week.

If Interested, drop me a PM.

#898 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Okay, update for anyone still on the fence:
Expected cost of the boards will be:
Rocket Bonus: $100
Spinner Score: $50.
Depending on how many people want them, they **LIKELY** will be cheaper. Expected delivery date, August 17th, but could be later.
Will place order next week.
If Interested, drop me a PM.

This is for the proto versions?

#899 1 year ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

This is for the proto versions?

Yes. Production versions likely won't be ready 'til the end of the year or so. And then, the other ones will be ready as well. These work - they just will be red PCB instead of black. Everything else will be the same.

#900 1 year ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

Just picked up a Meteor. Non-Working but in excellent condition for $500.

Wow, nice find!!

(I'll give you $550!)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hillsborough, NJ
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
There are 1528 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 31.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside