New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 134253)

Meteor Club - "We will let you know when the danger is past"

By pinballholder

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,799 posts
  • 168 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by GeoKansas
  • Topic is favorited by 80 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

There have been 511 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Meteor_SwitchMatrix_ST3.png
Meteor drop target wire (resized).jpg
0A4D4652-8254-416A-A163-85A92E07F082 (resized).jpeg
52209B3D-470D-4863-AFA3-F911912CADBC (resized).jpeg
20201013_111258 (resized).jpg
20201013_111246 (resized).jpg
Wrecked rectifier description (resized).jpg
Wrecked Rectitieir board back (resized).jpg
Wrecked rectifier front (resized).jpg
459FB2B3-3AA8-420C-9086-3A76BC4CD086 (resized).jpeg
F1715E87-94EE-4C68-AAC6-23B303BEC772 (resized).jpeg
1DDCD0C2-5E30-4C51-B39B-53FAF641863D (resized).jpeg
5C7267FF-CF1F-449B-BBE2-3020DB06C4C9 (resized).jpeg
CA01D79F-2B22-4B98-80BA-2ED79B71C9DC (resized).jpeg
FA7793E4-48B9-44BC-BEBB-1727A1DD1B3E (resized).jpeg
F2650572-1C15-4D45-84C5-F1457261BDBF (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1799 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 36.
#601 3 years ago

Just a quick update on the lamp boards..!

I have the final test board ordered. I should get it beginning of May. *However*, like I mentioned earlier this year, I'll be out of town on two road trips (first half-way across the country, second all-the-way across the country).

So, I won't be able to test it until mid-June. However, I'm expecting it to be good.

Right now, I will be making a single board for the rockets, and another board for the spinner lights. After I have those done, I will do a board for the METEOR drop lights.

After that - no plans. If someone has an idea, open to it. Right now, the boards that ARE going to get made will be a limited run (mainly because, I'm a poor bastard, and can't afford to order a huge stockpile )

#602 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I have the final test board ordered. I should get it beginning of May. *However*, like I mentioned earlier this year, I'll be out of town on two road trips (first half-way across the country, second all-the-way across the country).
So, I won't be able to test it until mid-June. However, I'm expecting it to be good.
Right now, I will be making a single board for the rockets, and another board for the spinner lights. After I have those done, I will do a board for the METEOR drop lights.
After that - no plans. If someone has an idea, open to it. Right now, the boards that ARE going to get made will be a limited run (mainly because, I'm a poor bastard, and can't afford to order a huge stockpile )

Nice. I'm interested in a set.

#603 3 years ago

Does anyone have a source for the drop target springs, 5A-171?

Action Pinball has 1, Marco & PBL have 0.

#604 3 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

Does anyone have a source for the drop target springs, 5A-171?
Action Pinball has 1, Marco & PBL have 0.

I'm considering using 265-5003-02.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/265-5003-02

I'll add it to my next order to test.

#605 3 years ago

I'm looking for info on the shooter springs.

This looks like it will be fine for the outside: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/266-5010-00

The internal spring I'm not sure about. This spring is in the middle and references the other tensions, but I cannot confirm in the documentation what spring Meteor uses.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/266-5001-04

Any feedback on your experiences is appreciated.

#606 3 years ago

A buddy sent me the Meteor Shooter info from an old Stern Parts Catalog.

Stern Meteor Shooter (resized).jpg

#607 3 years ago

Has anyone purchased a new plastic set?

Classic Arcade
ebay.com link » Stern Meteor 10 Piece Pinball Machine Plastic Set Brand New 6 Color Screen Print

Pinball Rescue
http://www.pinballrescue.net/Plastics_Meteor.html

Are these the same set?

I'd like to get a nice set for my Meteor, but I'm a little gun shy.

#608 3 years ago

Are these the same set?

both will be locally made repro by that vendor. i have no info on the classic one but pinball rescue have proven to be quality and can be trusted

#609 3 years ago

Bally AS-2518-21 - can these score displays be used in place of the originals in Meteor?

Thanks!

#610 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Bally AS-2518-21 - can these score displays be used in place of the originals in Meteor?
Thanks!

Bally six digit are compatible with Stern six digit.

#611 3 years ago

Thanks zacaj!

#612 3 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

both will be locally made repro by that vendor. i have no info on the classic one but pinball rescue have proven to be quality and can be trusted

Thank you, sir.

#613 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I think it would be good idea to take per-order deposits to help pay for them. I would be glad to pay up front for mine.

#614 3 years ago

Has anyone purchased a new plastic set?
Classic Arcade
ebay.com link » Stern Meteor 10 Piece Pinball Machine Plastic Set Brand New 6 Color Screen Print
Pinball Rescue
http://www.pinballrescue.net/Plastics_Meteor.html
Are these the same set?
I'd like to get a nice set for my Meteor, but I'm a little gun shy.

Get the set from the Aussies. I was the one that got them to make them. It took almost a year but it was worth the wait. Their set also has a custom key fob included.

#615 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I think it would be good idea to take per-order deposits to help pay for them. I would be glad to pay up front for mine.

+1

#616 3 years ago

Has anyone done LEDs in the GI? What bulbs did you use? The 5050 Frosted Whites I got are WAY too bright.

#617 3 years ago

WooHoo! I'm joining the club, with a project Meteor bought at A-town. Probably will not start seriously diving into it until winter hits, but looking forwards to it!!

Beware, I will be on here a lot bugging the hell outta you other members for instructions.................help...............etc.......

#618 3 years ago

WooHoo! I'm joining the club, with a project Meteor bought at A-town. Probably will not start seriously diving into it until winter hits, but looking forwards to it!!
Beware, I will be on here a lot bugging the hell outta you other members for instructions.................help...............etc.......

Congrats! Was that the one in the back row near Starship Fantasy? If so that was nice score for the price.

#619 3 years ago

Lovef2k, no, I pre-arranged to pick-up a project pin posted here on the Allentown thread - playfield very decent shape, needs total overhaul, backglass not as good as some at the show.

Funny story, after never seeing Meteor at shows, and paying for mine first in back at the loading dock area, I then enter the show and I run into (wasn't it four?)!!! at Allentown running and for sale!!! - for only a couple hundred more I could of had a fully functioning game instead of project - Doh!!!

Oh well, - that was a funny "kick myself in the ass" moment!! Will still enjoy fixing this one up.

#620 3 years ago

Has anyone replaced the legs on the cab recently?

I'm considering going to black, but I'm curious as to what people have out there.

#621 3 years ago

Has anyone replaced the legs on the cab recently?
I'm considering going to black, but I'm curious as to what people have out there.

Mine has matte gold legs on it and I was sorta surprised to learn they weren't original since they fit pretty well

#622 3 years ago

I'd stick with the silver unless you do the lockdown bar and rails in black to match.......

#623 3 years ago

I'd stick with the silver unless you do the lockdown bar and rails in black to match.......

I'm seriously considering doing all the pieces. The main problem is I can't find a place to get the damn side rails and lockdown bar in black.

#624 3 years ago

I'm seriously considering doing all the pieces. The main problem is I can't find a place to get the damn side rails and lockdown bar in black.

Take all your metal to get powdercoated, that way it all looks perfectly uniform!

#625 3 years ago

You actually don't have to powdercoat. If you rough up the metal slightly with steel wool, spray with your choice of "smooth" or my preferred "stippled" spray paint, then coat with a flat or gloss clear coat spray - bam! Done. I've done this on my GoldenEye and it looks great.

May do this on Meteor as well...........

#626 3 years ago

Has anyone done LEDs in the GI? What bulbs did you use? The 5050 Frosted Whites I got are WAY too bright.

Bumping this LED request. Has anyone done done LEDs in the GI?

Please PM me, I need some advice.

Thanks!

#627 3 years ago

So I picked up a meteor in a bulk deal in February, fixed it up (touched up and clearcoated the playfield but not perfect), repinned/rebuilt everything and put new plastics on and 7 digit displays (although going back to six digits). Eventually I'll probably repaint it and powder coat the coin door but it plays fast and held up all through TPF pretty well.

FYI I used LEDs with a new Altek board set. GI was just natural whites.

IMG_2539 (resized).JPG

IMG_2671 (resized).JPG

IMG_2541 (resized).JPG

IMG_2729 (resized).JPG

IMG_2742 (resized).JPG

IMG_2762 (resized).JPG

IMG_2763 (resized).JPG

IMG_2788 (resized).JPG

#628 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

Eventually I'll probably repaint it and powder coat the coin door but it plays fast and held up all through TPF pretty well.

How did I miss this at the show???

#629 3 years ago

So I picked up a meteor in a bulk deal in February, fixed it up (touched up and clearcoated the playfield but not perfect), repinned/rebuilt everything and put new plastics on and 7 digit displays (although going back to six digits). Eventually I'll probably repaint it and powder coat the coin door but it plays fast and held up all through TPF pretty well.

I played it, Doo? I think you were distracted by Total Annihilation that was in the next booth over. TnA was the only thing you could hear on that side of the fest anyway, hehe

#630 3 years ago

Just joined the club. The danger is far from over as I'm loving this one so far.

#631 3 years ago
Quoted from paddlepaw:

Just joined the club. The danger is far from over as I'm loving this one so far.

It is a fun game.

#632 3 years ago

That's a nice looking Meteor. The back glass looks almost perfect. For shits and giggles, I had a original set of Stern legs powder coated in black stardust with a clear gloss top coat. They look stunning. If the light hits them just right, you can see a rainbow effect in the flakes. I will probably get the coin door and lockdown done the same. If you have access to a bead blaster, you can restore the coin door yourself. Rustoleum silver hammer tone paint looks identical to the original finish and very durable. You only need to blast the front of the door and the trim. Clean out and blast media from the hinge with some acetone and a brush. Practice spaying the hammer paint on some scrap to get the technique down.

#633 3 years ago

I mainly used comets 2led frosted for inserts and gi and do not think they are too bright.

#634 3 years ago

"Meteor/5 ROM images .....effectively divide the scores by 10"

Can someone send me this/these ROM's?

PM me with price - thanks!!!

#635 3 years ago

"Meteor/5 ROM images .....effectively divide the scores by 10"
Can someone send me this/these ROM's?
PM me with price - thanks!!!

Halfway down the page:

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

#636 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

How did I miss this at the show???

It amazes me every year I go, no matter how many times I walk around there is something I didn't see.

I will say I was disappointed in the 7 digit displays, they kept having a 1 million point bug where the score would just increase. I'm going to try them in a Nitro Groundshaker I've repainted/powder coated/rebuilt. I just have to swap the playfield. Those six digits are going to go in this meteor.

#637 3 years ago

Thanks. I'm going to get these and put an original MPU back in instead of the Altek so I can use them.

#638 3 years ago

Couple questions: is something like this what you use to burn ROMS?

amazon.com link »

Second, SilverballNut it sounds like you are saying that you can't put these into an Altek board. Does that include the MPU Barakandl created for early Sterns??

#639 3 years ago

The barakandl board will work because it uses a standard 2732 EPROM, but the Altek will not. Unless you plan on burning dozens of ROMs, I would just pay barakandl or John Wart Jr. to burn this for you.

#640 3 years ago

Couple questions: is something like this what you use to burn ROMS?
amazon.com link »
Second, SilverballNut it sounds like you are saying that you can't put these into an Altek board. Does that include the MPU Barakandl created for early Sterns??

I don't think that particular one will work. I don't usually burn my own, but buy from John Wart. However if you want one, check out like the Top 853 (or TOP 2008) on ebay. They work with the older ones, but I haven't used one. I've just considered buying one for a while now.

I agree the Barakandl board will be fine and I may pick one of those up for a centaur I'm having restored so I can use the home ROMs.

#641 3 years ago

Thanks erichill and SilverballNut - for the info and also for the names of people to get these ROMs from.

-Nate

#642 3 years ago

Recently moved mine and flippers no longer work...I have tripled checked every connector there is and still cannot figure it out. They all look to be good and in the right places.

The flipper coils have power, but none work. All other coils work. Everything else in game is normal.

A weird thing that I don't think is normal is the shoot again bulb comes on when I hit the right flipper button. So seems like I may have a switch issue.

Anyone have a clue? I am out of my comfort zone here. Never been good at troubleshooting these old Sterns and Ballys.

#643 3 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

The barakandl board will work because it uses a standard 2732 EPROM, but the Altek will not. Unless you plan on burning dozens of ROMs, I would just pay barakandl or John Wart Jr. to burn this for you.

I thought I was only going to need one rom burned, but you can get a minipro for ~$40, so I figured, who knows, maybe I'll need to burn three more roms in the rest of my life. A year later, I've burned at least 40 roms. No reason to ever pay for rom burning in my opinion.

Quoted from freakandgeek:So seems like I may have a switch issue.

The flippers don't have a switch on them, so that doesn't work out.

Quoted from freakandgeek:A weird thing that I don't think is normal is the shoot again bulb comes on

Do you actually get the EB, or is it just the light?

Quoted from freakandgeek:

The flipper coils have power, but none work.

Check continuity from flippers to driver board, across driver board, to cab switches, etc. If they have power on one end then the chain on the other end must be the issue

#644 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I thought I was only going to need one rom burned, but you can get a minipro for ~$40, so I figured, who knows, maybe I'll need to burn three more roms in the rest of my life. A year later, I've burned at least 40 roms. No reason to ever pay for rom burning in my opinion.

I was going to suggest this one as a common one people get nowadays. But it's pretty pricey for occasional use.

amazon.com link »

Can you post info on the minipro?

My setup uses an old Needham's ISA programmer, but with that I have to keep an old, slow computer with an ISA slot and run an old operating system on it. I need to get a USB version that I can use with a laptop for portability.

#645 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I was going to suggest this one as a common one people get nowadays. But it's pretty pricey for occasional use.
amazon.com link »
Can you post info on the minipro?
My setup uses an old Needham's ISA programmer, but with that I have to keep an old, slow computer with an ISA slot and run an old operating system on it. I need to get a USB version that I can use with a laptop for portability.

Looks like they're up to $50 now.. amazon.com link »

It's not nearly as nice as the more expensive ones, but it's worked fine for me. Burns all the common e/eeproms without issue, single USB plug. Interface has a bit of chinese but all the important parts are readable

#646 3 years ago

I just got one too. Backglass looks real good. Still need to set it up. Not much room left. Glad there's a group.

#647 3 years ago

I spoke with Terry @ Pinball Life about the complete flipper assemblies he has available.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2411

I noted that he didn't have an option for Meteor's upper flipper coil and he added it.

Not a huge deal, but I wanted to let fellow owners know it's available in case you should need it.

#648 3 years ago

WhiskeyTango, thanks for the info - I will need to order these, glad Pinball Life has the assemblies ready to go!!

#649 3 years ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

Recently moved mine and flippers no longer work...I have tripled checked every connector there is and still cannot figure it out. They all look to be good and in the right places.
The flipper coils have power, but none work. All other coils work. Everything else in game is normal.
A weird thing that I don't think is normal is the shoot again bulb comes on when I hit the right flipper button. So seems like I may have a switch issue.
Anyone have a clue? I am out of my comfort zone here. Never been good at troubleshooting these old Sterns and Ballys.

I did the same thing, make sure the square white connector in the backbox is connected. I think it was a 6 pin connector.

#650 3 years ago

Hey Team Meteor.. Quick question.

Has anyone tried the newer, one piece molded flipper bats from Marco?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-3994-5 or http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-3994-4

Meteor is listed at a compatible product, but I wanted to see what people are using before I ordered anything. Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.00
1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE
1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hartford, CT
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
There are 1799 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 36.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside