• 1,638 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 minutes ago by Robotworkshop
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

There have been 413 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200708_133459 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200708_135403 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200708_135353 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200708_132437 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200708_150939 (resized).jpg
IMG_3101 (resized).JPG
992E499F-FADB-4BC8-871E-D28BB3715672 (resized).jpeg
CD14F089-0226-494F-BB12-D00DF235747F (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200617_181412 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200617_181341 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200617_181313 (resized).jpg
DD85FA61-8E32-4B06-99A4-4C8A938720AD (resized).jpeg
47CF6502-49E1-4FF7-944A-7C2DE765FE7F (resized).jpeg
CDD20BC9-75E6-4A3D-AE04-B28FFCE7C0F7 (resized).jpeg
20200527_141841 (resized).jpg
20200527_141831 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1638 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 33.
#501 3 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Think I just got the Meteor software bug today...
ยป YouTube video

Yeah. Plug in the ROM set labeled as 'Alternate'. It fixed that up.

#502 3 years ago

I don't think I've ever played meteor with the original ROM. Is there a specific situation that triggers the infinite bonus count?

#503 3 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

I don't think I've ever played meteor with the original ROM. Is there a specific situation that triggers the infinite bonus count?

"This game does have a software bug and it's even copied onto the Altek boards. Every couple hundred games or so if you have the 1X, 2X and 4X bonus lit and end the ball the game will go into an (almost) endless loop of counting the bonus over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over 255 times then end. Just an FYI."

My game has an Alltek....

#504 3 years ago

I think I had4x bonus and had a house ball that had zero rocket bonus....but I'm not 100% postive on that. The bonus counted down for 30secs or more until I power cycled it lol

#505 3 years ago

Does the 7 digit rom have the bug fix in it?

Thinking about doing to my meteor.

Does anyone have pictures of how the wires look with the 7 digit displays.

#506 3 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

It has something to do with the spinner going and the ball draining down an outlane with the collect all rockets light lit. I've only had it happen to me a couple of times.

#507 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

It has something to do with the spinner going and the ball draining down an outlane with the collect all rockets light lit. I've only had it happen to me a couple of times.

Seems pretty hard to do, if I rip the spinner it goes to the top of the playfield. Seems dam hard to go from the top to a drain when the spinner still going.

#508 3 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

"This game does have a software bug and it's even copied onto the Altek boards. Every couple hundred games or so if you have the 1X, 2X and 4X bonus lit and end the ball the game will go into an (almost) endless loop of counting the bonus over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over 255 times then end. Just an FYI."
My game has an Alltek....

Oh - with an Altek then, I think you're stuck like that.
The most common 7-digit ROM has the bug, as does the /10 ROM.

The bug isn't necessarily dependent on the spinner, but does have to do with the Bonus X and the 'Collect All Rockets' light on the outlanes -
As I understand it, the 'Collect All Rockets' routine saves data to a RAM location that is right adjacent to the Bonus 'X' save location. If something CPU intensive happens, a race condition will occur where the 'Collect All Rockets' code will save and then clear a value as another thread is trying to read the Bonus X. The Bonus X thread will then get an incorrect number (255), and think that's your bonus. It will then count down your rockets (even if you have none) from 255x. Interestingly, how the lights are stored in RAM, you can watch the 'Game Over' light on the backbox switch on and off - that light, essentially, is your '8x' bonus light.

The ROM set listed as 'Alternate' is officially released from Stern, and it changes the RAM location for one of those two functions, avoiding the collision.

#509 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Oh - with an Altek then, I think you're stuck like that.

This always annoys me. Seems to me like the altek eprom should just have all the rom images in it, so if I read it, find the image, and replace it and write it back to the rom, it should work, but I tried to find the Hot Hand rom image in there when I was modifying it and couldn't find it. Even if it's in some weird format, couldn't they have at least left an empty socket or something?

#510 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

This always annoys me. Seems to me like the altek eprom should just have all the rom images in it, so if I read it, find the image, and replace it and write it back to the rom, it should work, but I tried to find the Hot Hand rom image in there when I was modifying it and couldn't find it. Even if it's in some weird format, couldn't they have at least left an empty socket or something?

I completely agree. It's why I won't get one, and why I'm making my own newer MPU-200 board. (It's in the works, but plan is to allow larger EPROMS for easier burning and more program space, as well as more RAM space to store data. Meteor uses ALL the available RAM, save for a couple nibbles (total of 1 or 2 bytes..) So adding anything is very difficult, and is where the above bug came from.

One of the things I wanted to add was code to allow the 'Meteor' (pop bumper) to 'fight back' - when the ball hits the pop bumper, one rocket bonus will be *taken off*. Muhaha.

#511 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I completely agree. It's why I won't get one, and why I'm making my own newer MPU-200 board. (It's in the works, but plan is to allow larger EPROMS for easier burning and more program space, as well as more RAM space to store data. Meteor uses ALL the available RAM, save for a couple nibbles (total of 1 or 2 bytes..) So adding anything is very difficult, and is where the above bug came from.
One of the things I wanted to add was code to allow the 'Meteor' (pop bumper) to 'fight back' - when the ball hits the pop bumper, one rocket bonus will be *taken off*. Muhaha.

Sounds cool! Is there any notable limit to how much the 6800 can support with modern EPROMs and ram chips? I'm not clear on exactly what the size limitations of the Stern boards are, but I know they're pretty small...

#512 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Sounds cool! Is there any notable limit to how much the 6800 can support with modern EPROMs and ram chips? I'm not clear on exactly what the size limitations of the Stern boards are, but I know they're pretty small...

Essentially, the unused portion of the addresses in an MPU-200 board means that the game code can take just under a 27C256 (32kb) in size. (Total available EPROM address is $0 - $EFFF) When these boards were made, only EPROM space available was four 2716 or two 2732s (8kb total). Meteor's ROM does not have much empty space in it either- there's maybe 1/4 left available. So, more EPROM space (plus, ability to burn the image to more common chips like a 27C040) and more RAM space (doubling by 2/3rds.)

Sorry, I'm rambling technical.

#513 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Essentially, the unused portion of the addresses in an MPU-200 board means that the game code can take just under a 27C256 (32kb) in size. (Total available EPROM address is $0 - $EFFF) When these boards were made, only EPROM space available was four 2716 or two 2732s (8kb total). Meteor's ROM does not have much empty space in it either- there's maybe 1/4 left available. So, more EPROM space (plus, ability to burn the image to more common chips like a 27C040) and more RAM space (doubling by 2/3rds.)
Sorry, I'm rambling technical.

Technical is the best! I've been playing around with modding my hot hand roms (until I sold it last weekend....) and with roms for Williams system 6, so I can really appreciate how much you'd be able to do with even 16kb of rom instead of the 6kb that it seems system 6 supports. Same with RAM; system 3-6 has 256 bytes and 256 half-bytes of RAM, system 7 went up to a full 1KB, I think? I'm not as familiar with Bally/Stern boards though, tried to read some talk about what eproms the bally -35 board supports to figure out what its max total rom space is and couldn't figure out a number

#514 3 years ago

I went ahead and ordered final versions of the lamp board. I got three of the incandescent (#555 twist-in socket, used in all DMD 90's games) boards, and I ordered one all-LED board, using the same LED units as Comet's '5050' LED bulb. If there's enough interest, I can get a handful made, but cost is on the upper-end. (If I have 10 people, cost would be about $70 a piece. Higher with less people, lower with more.)

By the end of the month - likely after the holidays, I'll be able to take pics and show them, once they arrive.

#515 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I went ahead and ordered final versions of the lamp board. I got three of the incandescent (#555 twist-in socket, used in all DMD 90's games) boards, and I ordered one all-LED board, using the same LED units as Comet's '5050' LED bulb. If there's enough interest, I can get a handful made, but cost is on the upper-end. (If I have 10 people, cost would be about $70 a piece. Higher with less people, lower with more.)
By the end of the month - likely after the holidays, I'll be able to take pics and show them, once they arrive.

Sweet

1 week later
#516 3 years ago

Has anyone purchased the 7 digit plug and play conversion kit from Xpin?

http://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-7volution/

#517 3 years ago

Holy crap. I way, way underpaid for my game.
ebay.com link

And apparently, Meteors are hard to find!

#518 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Holy crap. I way, way underpaid for my game.
ebay.com link
And apparently, Meteors are hard to find!

Guess I should list mine for $8k then

#519 3 years ago

The new lamp board is in! Whohoo...
IMG_20161215_201404 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161215_201334 (resized).jpg

Two potential issues with it still, which frankly bugs the heck out of me, but..
The first is that the mounting holes for the standoffs - I designed them over what I had on hand originally, way back on the very first go-round. The ones I had on hand were NOT the WMS/Bally black ones that they used in the 90's. I dunno where I got these from. The black ones however, are smaller and don't lock into the hole. Argh. So I need to either find ones that will fit, or get another round of boards made with the holes shrunk down some.
The second problem I can't test until I have standoffs. I believe my mounting holes are maybe .1" too wide from top to bottom. I can't double check until I get standoffs. It's possible it will work, just be a tight fit.

With the holidays coming up, I may not be able to proceed on this until after the new year. But, honestly, if I can (1) find standoffs that work, and (2) the holes aren't too far off-center, then these boards are good.

I have an all LED board coming in, supposedly sometime next week, but we'll see.

#520 3 years ago

Looks pretty good so far, I like having a single board over 3 separate boards. Do you have the lamp bases, I assume they will be wedge base type? Is there a schematic showing the pin outs? I noticed 8 mounting holes in the board, will we need to use all 8? I'm thinking something like this will work? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/254-5032-01

#521 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Looks pretty good so far, I like having a single board over 3 separate boards. Do you have the lamp bases, I assume they will be wedge base type? Is there a schematic showing the pin outs? I noticed 8 mounting holes in the board, will we need to use all 8? I'm thinking something like this will work? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/254-5032-01

I can supply lamp bases with the board - they're available straight from Digikey as well. Same bases (or at least, they're compatible) that are used in M/W WPC games.
Pinouts are really simple - there's three headers, one for each Rocket. Pin #1 on each one is for 1k Lamp. Pin 2, 2k lamp, etc. The two-pin headers at top are for the lamp bus.
You don't have to use all eight. You can use as many as you need to to hold the board in place. The six on top and bottom line up with the existing mounting holes. The two in the center were just so that a stand-off could be inserted to keep the board from flexing too much. (Though, testing it, they won't be necessary. The single larger board is a LOT more sturdy than the smaller 1-rocket boards.)

The single boards also fit for the 6 lamps under the spinner, which once I get the proper standoffs, I plan on using one of mine for. (Might as well..!)

Also, a bump: CPR still has the Meteor as 'looking for interest'. If you haven't signed up for a playfield, please do so. The more of us sign up, the sooner it'l get bumped up! http://www.classicplayfields.com/order.html

#522 3 years ago

Any word on if they will do a backglass as well?

#523 3 years ago

I signed up for the playfield a few months back. Fingers crossed for pf and backglass.

#524 3 years ago

yes I signed up as well. hopefully more people do so we can move it into production.

1 week later
#525 3 years ago

I purchased a Meteor game that would not turn on. I got it up and running but there are a few random play field lights that stay on. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can start my search. The previous owner installed a new mpu board and solenoid driver board.

image (resized).jpeg

#526 3 years ago
Quoted from Ann_arbor:

I purchased a Meteor game that would not turn on. I got it up and running but there are a few random play field lights that stay on. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can start my search. The previous owner installed a new mpu board and solenoid driver board.

Track each light back to the transistor on the light board via the schematics, and test the transistors using a multimeter

#527 3 years ago

Anyone buy replacement drops from PBR? Mine were all warped when they arrived .....

#528 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Anyone buy replacement drops from PBR? Mine were all warped when they arrived .....

I have bought several drop targets for various games from PBR and have gotten 1 or 2 warped ones, just call them and explain, I'm sure they will take care of you.

#529 3 years ago

I just recently ordered the METEOR set a couple of weeks ago. They were perfectly fine.

#530 3 years ago

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

My second "test board" came in while I was out. I'll try it tonight or tomorrow..

1483490626065 (resized).jpg

1483490646555 (resized).jpg

#531 3 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

I just recently ordered the METEOR set a couple of weeks ago. They were perfectly fine.

Emailed them today, another set are on their way

#532 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

My second "test board" came in while I was out. I'll try it tonight or tomorrow..

Nice!

#533 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

What a clever idea, I like it!

#534 3 years ago

For the record, the coin door blue 'credit' button label that Marco sells is *not* metallic. It's horrible.

I was already pretty much writing off Marco - this pretty much sealed the deal.

#535 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

For the record, the coin door blue 'credit' button label that Marco sells is *not* metallic. It's horrible.
I was already pretty much writing off Marco - this pretty much sealed the deal.

I noticed that myself. I get them from the Pinball Rescue.net, the same guys that might someday get the meteor plastics done lol. I have an extra I can mail one to you, PM me your address. Oh and the Marco DT decals for F2K suck too!

#536 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I noticed that myself. I get them from the Pinball Rescue.net, the same guys that might someday get the meteor plastics done lol. I have an extra I can mail one to you, PM me your address. Oh and the Marco DT decals for F2K suck too!

Thanks! You're awesome! I'll PM you, though no rush - I ordered it since I'm thinking about tackling my (horrible) coin door next month, but haven't started yet.. I'm looking into available methods to recreate that.. marbled(?) look.

For those interested in the LED board above, I opened a poll - curious to get thoughts:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-lamp-board#post-3530754

#537 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Thanks! You're awesome! I'll PM you, though no rush - I ordered it since I'm thinking about tackling my (horrible) coin door next month, but haven't started yet.. I'm looking into available methods to recreate that.. marbled(?) look.
For those interested in the LED board above, I opened a poll - curious to get thoughts:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-lamp-board#post-3530754

The marbled look is called "a hammered finish". You can recreate it very easily with Rustoleum hammer tone paint. The silver is a pretty close match and works great on the legs as well. You will need to do this when the weather breaks. It needs to be warm when you apply this paint to get the hammer effect right. If you have a warm area that you can spray paint it, that might work too. Here's a pic of a door I did a few years ago. I had the coin bezel, flapper and eject button chromed. Also new stainless carriage bolts that I polished with my dremel and green rouge. It takes some practice with the hammer paint to get the technique right, practice on some sheet metal. Also use a good auto primer. You paint both sides, even the hinge. Make sure the door is straight, sometimes they appear straight until you actually get it installed. If you have access to a blast cabinet, you can use it to remove the old paint and any rust spots.

If you want those white plastic coin drop bezels white again, just hit them with some Krylon fusion paint. This door has the crappy Start sticker before I discovered Pinball rescue.

DSC01939 (resized).JPG

DSC01940 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#538 3 years ago

Thank you, Lovef2k! I have to get my door off, and disassembled before painting, so it'll be at least beginning of spring, but, I can't wait. I did pick up the paint; and yeah, it looks really really close!

For those interested in my light board, a question -
I like how the LED board came out - so much - that I'm thinking that I won't even worry about making the incandescent board. If anyone here was thinking about getting one from me, and not wanting the LED board, drop me a PM, lemme know.

#539 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Thank you, Lovef2k! I have to get my door off, and disassembled before painting, so it'll be at least beginning of spring, but, I can't wait. I did pick up the paint; and yeah, it looks really really close!
For those interested in my light board, a question -
I like how the LED board came out - so much - that I'm thinking that I won't even worry about making the incandescent board. If anyone here was thinking about getting one from me, and not wanting the LED board, drop me a PM, lemme know.

I like the LED one but if a lamp goes out will we have to replace the whole board? Also will we need to run the alltek LED/lamp driver to stop flickering/strobing?

#540 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I like the LED one but if a lamp goes out will we have to replace the whole board? Also will we need to run the alltek LED/lamp driver to stop flickering/strobing?

In theory, a single LED shouldn't fail. If it does, say, withi na year (usually when most LEDs die a premature death), I'll send a new board as long as you send the old one back so I can replace the LED. Unless you can solder large SMD, in which case I'll send you a few replacement LEDs.

The final revision will have a jumper, so that in the case the light board doesn't draw enough current for the lamp board, you can solder a small jumper on and make it compatible. (Or, if using a new lamp board or LED adaptors, leave the jumper off.)

I'm also narrowing down the right standoffs to use, so in a couple weeks I hope to have everything put together for my final test board.

1 week later
#541 3 years ago

The repro Meteor plastics sets are now complete and ready to order. It's been a long wait but I think it was worth it.

http://www.pinballrescue.net/Plastics_Meteor.html

#542 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

The repro Meteor plastics sets are now complete and ready to order. It's been a long wait but I think it was worth it.
http://www.pinballrescue.net/Plastics_Meteor.html

awesome

#543 3 years ago

The spinner decal shown is wrong but will be corrected.

#544 3 years ago

Strange question..

What ever happened to Steve Kirk after he designed Meteor?

#545 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Strange question..
What ever happened to Steve Kirk after he designed Meteor?

I've heard he did some of the design on swords of fury...

Oh, and of course, he did nine ball.

#546 3 years ago

occasionally I receive emails asking the type and placement of LEDs that I used in my meteor.

Backbox lamps
- Comet pinball 1SMD 6.3V AC/DC Supreme Brightness non-ghosting bulbs
- Lens: Frosted
- Base: #44 / #47 bayonet
- 19 Red
- 10 Natural White
- 9 Blue
- 3 Purple
- 1 Pink
- remainder were miscellaneous

IMG_8834.JPG

IMG_8835.JPG

#547 3 years ago

Playfield lamps
- Comet pinball 1 LED 6.3V AC/DC Flat Top Superior Pinball LED
- 13 Blue

- Comet pinball 1SMD 6.3V AC/DC Supreme Brightness non-ghosting bulbs
- ~20 Natural White (under playfield - to illuminate inserts)
- 2 Orange / Amber (under orange explosion plastic - upper right)
- 2 Red (under red explosion plastic - above Meteor drop target)
- 1 Pink (below playfield under yellow target switch)

- Comet pinball 4 SMD 6.3V AC/DC Supreme Brightness non-ghosting *exclusive*
- Lens: n/a
- 2 Natural White (under the [1] and [3] pop bumper cap)

- Comet pinball 1 SMD RGB Fast Blinking Color Changing Bulb
- Lens: n/a
- 1 under red star pop bumper cap

IMG_8828.JPG

IMG_8829.JPG

IMG_8831.JPG

IMG_8832.JPG

IMG_8833.JPG

IMG_8836.JPG

IMG_8837.JPG

IMG_8838.JPG

IMG_8839.JPG

IMG_8840.JPG

#548 3 years ago

Am thoroughly amused and I think I made a friend...

Per pinsider Msch - "Nicer than the $2500 one for sale here"

His: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/44783

vs.

Mine: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/42964

#549 3 years ago

It's a great price considering all the work you put into that game.

#550 3 years ago

Hey guys -
Wanted to give an update on the Meteor lamp board.

First, good news!
I'm going to be sending off for two more prototypes. Decided to have another proto run, as I wanted to add a couple things:
(1) Wire solder points, so those that do not know how to crimp a molex connector and don't want to cut their wires can still use the board.
(2) Load resistors, so that, in the odd chance this is the ONLY LED board in your game, you don't need LED adapters or another lamp driver board.
I'm going to want one person here to test the board in their game for me. Don't PM me yet! Wait until I post here near the end of Feb once I have the board in.

Now, the bad news.
After this prototype, assuming that they both work, it will be several months before I will order my first round of them. The main reason is because of ... money! No, I'm not broke. HOWEVER, 2016 was a bad year for my company, and I did not get the expected bonus. I have two big road trips coming up this May. Beginning of May I'm heading up to Cedar Rapids, IA, and at the end of May I'm heading out to Willits, CA. I live on the east coast. I need to make sure that my accounts have enough balance in them in case the unexpected happens along 'The Loneliest Road' in the middle of Nevada.
Once I get back from my trip - around the 15th of June, and again assuming these last protos are good - I will get a batch made and available to everyone.

Just wanted to explain the upcoming delay.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 157.00
$ 7.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Wanted
$ 25.00
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
There are 1638 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 33.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside