You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5589.JPG
20140805_201501.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I have changed the eos switch after adjusting it 713 times. It seemed to work for a while. I also changed the flipper/plunger assembly that attaches to the flipper bat and goes into the coil. Last night I changed the coil and sleeve (second sleeve). The coil stop is hammered and I have a new one but I gotta drill out one of the holes to accommodate 1 larger screw. The mounting plate seems weird too with one small hole and one large. the coil itself seems to move quite a bit more than the other two flippers too and there's a hack on the coil connection wiring which just looks like a jumper because the wires were getting too short. I'm guessing this has been a problem for years. I don't see any capacitors anywhere either. A couple of questions. does anyone know where to get a new mounting plate? does anyone have a picture of what its supposed to look like under there? the lower right flipper works fine so I am convinced its just in that whole assembly. I would gladly buy a new one and be done with it or do a total rebuild if I can find the plate. I cant have this game out of commission or I will never get laid...

20140805_201501.jpg20140805_201501.jpg

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I have changed the eos switch after adjusting it 713 times. It seemed to work for a while. I also changed the flipper/plunger assembly that attaches to the flipper bat and goes into the coil. Last night I changed the coil and sleeve (second sleeve). The coil stop is hammered and I have a new one but I gotta drill out one of the holes to accommodate 1 larger screw. The mounting plate seems weird too with one small hole and one large. the coil itself seems to move quite a bit more than the other two flippers too and there's a hack on the coil connection wiring which just looks like a jumper because the wires were getting too short. I'm guessing this has been a problem for years. I don't see any capacitors anywhere either. A couple of questions. does anyone know where to get a new mounting plate? does anyone have a picture of what its supposed to look like under there? the lower right flipper works fine so I am convinced its just in that whole assembly. I would gladly buy a new one and be done with it or do a total rebuild if I can find the plate. I cant have this game out of commission or I will never get laid...
this pic was taken before i changed items described above

20140805_201501.jpg 589 KB

#3 9 years ago

Pinball Life has new baseplates:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2413

Have you replaced the flipper bushing and the spring? Might as well finish out your flipper rebuild by doing those, too. Pinball Life has full flipper assemblies for Classic Stern games if you want to go that route.

--Luke

#4 9 years ago

Another thought...how many screws are holding the baseplate to the playfield? From the picture, it looks like some are missing. Maybe the whole thing is just loose and that's why it's clattering around.

--Luke

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

Pinball Life has new baseplates:
Have you replaced the flipper bushing and the spring? Might as well finish out your flipper rebuild by doing those, too. Pinball Life has full flipper assemblies for Classic Stern games if you want to go that route.
--Luke

thanks man. I did change the spring and I have the bushing. I basically have everything but the plate. I don't see meteor on that list but I will give terry a call. I think the change of it being a voltage problem is pretty low if at all. what do you think?

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

Another thought...how many screws are holding the baseplate to the playfield? From the picture, it looks like some are missing. Maybe the whole thing is just loose and that's why it's clattering around.
--Luke

yeah the base plate seems to be missing a mounting "thing" in the upper left as I look at it from the bottom of the playfield but the filpper has that classic machine gunning going on which I usually associate with an eos switch

#7 9 years ago

PBL does mounting plates for gen 2. You'll have to redrill for it, but it's the only one available afaik. The coil stop sounds like your problem for sure, both for the chattering and the flipper angle. I had a similar issue on mine although not to the same degree as you, it sounds like, and a new stop fixed it. (Stole it from the pop bumper)

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from appeac:

PBL does mounting plates for gen 2. You'll have to redrill for it, but it's the only one available afaik. The coil stop sounds like your problem for sure, both for the chattering and the flipper angle. I had a similar issue on mine although not to the same degree as you, it sounds like, and a new stop fixed it. (Stole it from the pop bumper)

awesome man. I will drill out the hole on the new coil stop so I can mount it to the old plate and see what happens. the old one is the worst I have ever seen. PBL=Pinball life? Gen 2 + meteor and I have no guess as to what afaik means. I'm still pretty green with all the pinhead acronyms.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

awesome man. I will drill out the hole on the new coil stop so I can mount it to the old plate and see what happens. the old one is the worst I have ever seen. PBL=Pinball life? Gen 2 + meteor and I have no guess as to what afaik means. I'm still pretty green with all the pinhead acronyms.

i meant gen 2 = meteor?

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from appeac:

ok I'm startin' to pick up what yer layin' down. "as far as I know" "g i"

#11 9 years ago

Afiak - as far as I know.
PBL is pinballlife.

The link is here:

See the note on the bottom

#12 9 years ago

thanks bud. I love you guys on pinside!!!!

#13 9 years ago

The upper (I think it's the same as A Bally) is fed from the lower flipper. The lower flipper will have a second Normally Open switch piggy-backed on the Normally Closed End Of Stroke switch. When this second switch closes, power is fed up to the upper flipper. A chattering upper flipper is usually a badly pitted feed switch on the lower flipper.

As a test, take the ball out and prop the field on the kickstand. Game it up. Turn off all the lights in the room. Press the flipper button. Look for arcing at the lower flipper mech. The switch that looks like Dr Frankenstein's lab needs to be filed and burnished or replaced.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

The upper (I think it's the same as A Bally) is fed from the lower flipper. The lower flipper will have a second Normally Open switch piggy-backed on the Normally Closed End Of Stroke switch. When this second switch closes, power is fed up to the upper flipper. A chattering upper flipper is usually a badly pitted feed switch on the lower flipper.
As a test, take the ball out and prop the field on the kickstand. Game it up. Turn off all the lights in the room. Press the flipper button. Look for arcing at the lower flipper mech. The switch that looks like Dr Frankenstein's lab needs to be filed and burnished or replaced.

duuuuuuuuude. I bet that's it!!!!!I never considered a second switch in the loop but then again I didnt bust out the schematic. Usually dont have to for these types of fixes.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

A chattering upper flipper is usually a badly pitted feed switch on the lower flipper..

Or a broken hold coil wire. Order a complete replacement flipper mech and a new feed switch for the lower flipper from Pinball Life and be done with it.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Or a broken hold coil wire. Order a complete replacement flipper mech and a new feed switch for the lower flipper from Pinball Life and be done with it.

i talked to terry today. he wasnt sure the base plate or entire assembly would physically fit into the upper flipper mounting area on meteor.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

he said he changed the coil already, though.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

i just talked to him again and he has no idea what a n/o feed switch is. He's a little dry. I did ask again about his fully populated assembly and he told me none of those would have anything aside from a normally closed eos switch which now totally confuses me. I think I might go look for frankensteins lab as cody chunn suggests

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from appeac:

he said he changed the coil already, though.

yeah coil is changed as of last night

#20 9 years ago

Ah...I see that now.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

i talked to terry today. he wasnt sure the base plate or entire assembly would physically fit into the upper flipper mounting area on meteor.

New mech should fit. It's about 1/4" longer overall, same width.

IMG_5589.JPGIMG_5589.JPG

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

New mech should fit. It's about 1/4" longer overall, same width.

IMG_5589.JPG 563 KB

I ordered the base plate today. i have the coil stop ready to install. i have replaced the plunger/crnak assy and the eos switch and the coil and the sleeve. There's nothing left but to install the new plate, new stop and the mystery feed switch I cant find. BTW thanks as always Doo. Your help has been priceless.

#23 9 years ago

It might be time to call Pinball Resource and get yelled at for not having the part numbers for everything - they normally have all that early SS stuff in stock.

www.pbresource.com

#24 9 years ago

Do you have the new style crank to go with the new base plate? It's different because the new base plate does not sit flush on the playfield.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It might be time to call Pinball Resource and get yelled at for not having the part numbers for everything - they normally have all that early SS stuff in stock.
http://www.pbresource.com

hahahaha that's awesome Vid! But i already got yelled at by Terry for not having the part #'s today. "I have no idea what switch you are talking about and it's not like I have meteors around here to just open up and look at"

#26 9 years ago

The switch would be something like this.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/ASW-A10-45

Needs to have a snubber on it to isolate it from the EOS switch.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

sweet thanks man!!!!!!!

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

doo what's a snubber, where do I get one or can I transfer it from the old assembly? i searched it on marco and got a bunch of unrelated stuff.

#29 9 years ago

It's just that little plastic piece that keeps the blades separated. Sure, you can reuse the old one and just replace the rest of it with a standard EOS switch as long as the blade on the EOS switch is long enough to come in contact with the plastic piece.

#30 9 years ago

thanks bro. i'll let you know how i make out

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

It's definitely the switch on the lower flipper. thank god for you guys cuz i would have into the schematic and tracing stuff looking for the mystery switch. i filed down the contacts and adjusted it and the problem went away. i'm gonna order it and replace it though since I have new parts for the lower flipper anyways.

#32 9 years ago

Good deal. Now you can get your lay on...

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Good deal. Now you can get your lay on...

i might have to cry out "DOOOOO THE DOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" at that special moment. Alright that's just wrong. Sorry man...

#34 9 years ago

Yeah you really don't want to do that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 169.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Boards
Troxel Repair

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-chattering-upper-flipper-driving-me-bananas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.