(Topic ID: 289487)

Meteor 2021 - new code for Stern Meteor (1979)

By DickHamill

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 649 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by DickHamill
  • Topic is favorited by 115 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0957 - ANNOTATED (resized).jpg
IMG_0956 - ANNOTATED (resized).jpg
IMG_7769 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0663 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2445 (resized).jpg
IMG_2444 (resized).jpg
IMG_5196 (resized).jpg
IMG_5188 (resized).jpg
20230731_220626 (resized).jpg
20230731_220626 (resized).jpg
IMG_4380 (resized).jpg
IMG_4379 (resized).jpg
IMG_4378 (resized).jpg
IMG_0960 (resized).jpg
BaseRollover (resized).jpeg
20230424_194610 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slapdrain.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#283 2 years ago

anyone considering making "Meteor 2021" apron cards with updated rules?

#290 2 years ago

Wow the video rule card is pretty neat. Having said that if a game like Batman 66 or any newer stern can have a single rule card surely so can this game. Give me a few and ill at least see what I can come up with for bullets points.

1 week later
#296 2 years ago

I want to try to rework some of the audio package. Do you have the "Wizard Mode, complete drop targets....." and "Mission Success, Orpheus Defeated" callouts without the background music available anywhere?

#299 2 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Nope - I didn't keep any of the base sounds before I mixed them. To create those, I just recorded my voice, pitch shifted, and added reverb. It's all done with Audacity.

All good, thanks for tips. And thank you for all the awesome work you have done on this.

#300 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I had been meaning to ask you if that voice was yours! The call outs are too specific to have been sampled from elsewhere so I figured they were purpose-made for this. Too cool.
I play this game with your code every night while I tweak the performance of the pin. Almost ready to set up my streaming rig and get some video of it in action.

Should have mine playable this weekend. Waiting on rubbers and coil sleeves do in tomorrow.

#307 2 years ago

Ok if anyone is interested in a resample of the "Wizard Mode, complete drop targets....." and "Mission Success, Orpheus Defeated" callouts without the star wars theme songs. I used a song from the Meteor sound track that seemed appropriate enough for the situation.

https://voca.ro/183VWpKGsrQa

https://voca.ro/1bRUljUC1Nmg

2 weeks later
#328 2 years ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

Love it! The video looks great and your machine is beautiful. I’m planning to set up my rig and capture some 2021 Meteor too. I messed around with the sounds on mine. I bumper up the music volume and lowered the switch sound effects. I also replaced some of the music. I’ll post it here since I do.

I would love to hear the rework if you feel comfortable posting the files.

Quoted from cooperscooter:

I downloaded, converted, and put these on my WAV trigger board's memory card last night - TERRIFIC work! Thanks for making these!

haha thanks, glad someone got some use out of it. I had a blast recording it.

#329 2 years ago

I gave reworking the audio levels a shot myself. Ill test it out sometime this week and report back.

#330 2 years ago

Finally got around to making a "Rule Card" summary. I wanted to wait until after i had some playtime and a better understanding of whats going. Ill post pics so you can print it yourself when i get it formatted and the logo made. Please feel free to make any corrections if you see any mistakes.

Rules Card v2:

Skill Shot: Hit a Star Rollover or METEOR target. Super Skill at lite METEOR target.

Spinner: Each METEOR drop target increases spinner value. Super Spinner at 99 Spins.

Meteor Storm: Complete set of METEOR drop targets to start Meteor Storm. Destroy incoming
Meteors to enter Orpheus Strike. Hit lite METEOR targets to complete Orpheus Strike. Hitting
unlite METEOR target will start Orpheus Fragmented. Hit roving METEOR targets to complete.

Bonus: Hit 1,2,3 Targets to raise rocket value. Collect at end of ball. Complete METEOR bank to raise Bonus “X”. Bonus “X” carry over except on “6x” or “7x”.

Extra Ball: Earn extra ball from lite “WOW” shot when all rockets on same value (Except 7000). Earn Extra Ball from hurry up at center target with 2 quick hits.

Wizard Mode: Complete Super Spinner, Orpheus Strike + Fragmented, Max Bonus on all rockets.

#332 2 years ago

Still working out the kinks

054BEDA9-BE29-4A7A-BB7E-4AAF2571D632 (resized).jpeg054BEDA9-BE29-4A7A-BB7E-4AAF2571D632 (resized).jpeg
#333 2 years ago

Done. Thoughts or input?

Meteor_V2_Rules.pngMeteor_V2_Rules.pngMeteor_V2_FreePlay.pngMeteor_V2_FreePlay.png

#336 2 years ago

Meteor_V2_FreePlay2 (resized).pngMeteor_V2_FreePlay2 (resized).png

Meteor_V2_FreePlay3 (resized).pngMeteor_V2_FreePlay3 (resized).png
#338 2 years ago

Is there something to the effect of the divide by 10 rom available for the original game available for meteor 2021? Im being cheap and dont want to upgrade to 7 digit displays. The scrolling score is nice but lowering the scores by a factor of 10 would be a nice option as well.

#340 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

You could just edit the point values in the code. It would be a pretty easy update.

Is there a place in the code where all the points values are defined or are they scattered about?

#342 2 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-the-m6800-in-a-stern-mpu100-with-an-arduino/page/4#post-6267536
Basically you'll need to build a mixer circuit and then inject that into the stock amplifier.
Get a 3.5mm TRS male connector for the WAVTrigger board.
From the tip, in series, connect first a 1kilohm resistor and then the positive lead of a 10 microfarad electrolytic capacitor. Voltage unimportant, any cheap 16V one will be fine.
Repeat this for the ring of the connector.
Now, solder the negative leads of the two capacitors together and connect a length of wire with a test clip on it.
Connect that test clip to the SB-300 at the common point of C14 and R23.
If you are using Rev 2 of the arduino board, you'll need to pull off the cables that connect the SB-300 to the MPU. Shouldn't be a problem to leave them connected if you have the Rev 3 board, or so I've been told.

I built this circuit to use the stock speaker and I have a Rev3 roygbev board. Can someone help clarify where exactly I clip this onto to the sound board? Right now i have it clipped to the left leg of c14 in this picture. The sounds works but im not sure if that is correct.
64C67CF2-7DDE-44F0-B965-72BF4B82A935 (resized).jpeg64C67CF2-7DDE-44F0-B965-72BF4B82A935 (resized).jpeg

Added over 2 years ago:

EDIT: After some testing Im now using the right leg of r23 in the picture above. Played for about 6 hours today and the sound is working and nothing blew up.

#343 2 years ago

Does anyone know the answer to my previous question? I’m going to be able to get a few games of meteor in tomorrow night and don’t want to blow anything up if I have the speaker hooked in wrong.

#345 2 years ago

I initially borrowed a soundbar for overall testing but I gave it back after I built the audio mixer circuit.

#352 2 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

I've heard of this solution, but I've never tried it on an SB300. How does it sound?

When it was clipped to the negative side of c16 on the sb300 it was really muddy and honestly pretty terrible. Almost gave up on going this route. Now that i have it clipped to r23 it sounds awesome and im really impressed with it. Im using a kenwood road series 6" speaker in the stock location in the cabinet. Here is a pic of the circuit before shrink tubing and headphone jack.

66819383465__6B3484F6-63E0-4BEA-9353-C46DEA7BA216 (resized).jpeg66819383465__6B3484F6-63E0-4BEA-9353-C46DEA7BA216 (resized).jpeg
#358 2 years ago

When you get it check what mpu board it has before buying anything. This only works on the original board or the alltek replacement board as of now.

If it has one of those boards roygbev sells a plug and play kit. All you have to do is figure out what speaker you are going to use.

#364 2 years ago

Just wanted to thank you guys again for the help and most of thank you DickHamill this game is awesome with the new code. Unfortunately someone made me an offer today after playing a single game and I let mine go. I already miss it. I think I'm going to try to find a Galaxy next.

#366 2 years ago
Quoted from Dicky:

Picked up Meteor couple days ago , it’s running the original MPU 200,needed a bit of fixing to get it going all good now
I have PM Roygbev for that awesome update Kit

Awesome you are going to love it.

3 weeks later
#368 2 years ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

SlapDrain, what size resistor did you use? I know it is 1K ohms, but what wattage are you using?

1/4 watt will do

3 weeks later
#379 1 year ago
Quoted from cookpins:

It would be awesome if some of the sellers who are doing kits for 2021 code would add this as an option as well.

I have to build an audio adapter for the galaxy i just picked up. Ill build a couple extra if anyone needs one reach out via pm.

#380 1 year ago

****Sold out. Thanks guys. I sent my notes to one of the board suppliers so hopefully you can have a one stop shop for everything you need in the future.

Audio adapters are tested and done. Probably wont be making a ton of these but put a few extra together when building one for myself. These allow you to use the stock speaker for both the new code and original code without having to move around wiring or switching anything. Send me a PM if interested.
IMG_0654 (resized).JPEGIMG_0654 (resized).JPEGIMG_0663 (resized).JPEGIMG_0663 (resized).JPEG

#382 1 year ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

I gather that this the board that is NOT compatible with the new code hardware? Should I be looking for a different one?
[quoted image]

unfortunately not compatible.

#383 1 year ago

Audio Circuit for using stock speaker on both code versions:

Parts needed:
2 - 1/2w 1k Resistiors
1 - 1/2w 2.2k Resistor
1 - 10uF 50v Capacitor
1 - 3.5mm Male Plug to Bare Wire Open End
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082VW49VV
1 - Mini Grabber Test Hook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M5Z5YFG

How to Build:
Run two wires from each of the channels. (Leave ground float for now). Put a 1K resistor in series on each line and tie together after the 1K. Connect paired end of 1k resistors to (+) leg of 10uF cap. Connect 2.2k resistor to (-) of cap. Connect pigtail of mini grabber hook to 2.2k resistor.

Connecting to game:
Plug 3.5 headphone into wav trigger board. Use mini grabber hook to tie in on the (+) side of R23 on SB300 Sound Board.

AudioCircuitExample (resized).pngAudioCircuitExample (resized).pngAudioAdapter (resized).jpegAudioAdapter (resized).jpeg
5 months later
#469 1 year ago
Quoted from troxel:

I sell the kit and just added the adapter cable that connects to the games speaker. Thanks to SlapDrain for help with the cable! This would be the easiest way to get it set up .
https://troxelrepair.com/shop/
[quoted image]

Happy to help! This is absolutely the way to go if you want a quick and easy way to get audio working with the updated code. The price is right as well! Kudos to troxel for not charging an arm and a leg for any of his mods.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slapdrain.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-2021-new-code-for-stern-meteor-1979?tu=slapdrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.