(Topic ID: 289487)

Meteor 2021 - new code for Stern Meteor (1979)

By DickHamill

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 649 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by DickHamill
  • Topic is favorited by 115 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0957 - ANNOTATED (resized).jpg
IMG_0956 - ANNOTATED (resized).jpg
IMG_7769 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0663 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2445 (resized).jpg
IMG_2444 (resized).jpg
IMG_5196 (resized).jpg
IMG_5188 (resized).jpg
20230731_220626 (resized).jpg
20230731_220626 (resized).jpg
IMG_4380 (resized).jpg
IMG_4379 (resized).jpg
IMG_4378 (resized).jpg
IMG_0960 (resized).jpg
BaseRollover (resized).jpeg
20230424_194610 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mandelbe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#455 1 year ago

Hi! I just bought Meteor with the 2021 Mods installed. Wow - what an amazing game. I’m having an odd problem and I’m wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. I have my Award Scores set to 600000, 800000 and 900000. I have the award selection set to 3 for Credit, Credit, Extra Ball. Tournament scoring is off. Game is in Free Play mode. When playing, I get a credit at the first award level but no award at either level2 or 3. I have changed the award selection and the problem is consistent. An award is given when crossing the first level but not level 2 or 3. Obviously not critical but would love to solve this if anyone has ideas. Machine is set to 5 ball play.

#458 1 year ago
Quoted from mandelbe:

Hi! I just bought Meteor with the 2021 Mods installed. Wow - what an amazing game. I’m having an odd problem and I’m wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. I have my Award Scores set to 600000, 800000 and 900000. I have the award selection set to 3 for Credit, Credit, Extra Ball. Tournament scoring is off. Game is in Free Play mode. When playing, I get a credit at the first award level but no award at either level2 or 3. I have changed the award selection and the problem is consistent. An award is given when crossing the first level but not level 2 or 3. Obviously not critical but would love to solve this if anyone has ideas. Machine is set to 5 ball play.

DickHamill -- any thoughts on my issue above? Easy to replicate. Thank you!!!

#460 1 year ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

There are a lot of variables to consider -- bear with me while I catch up on a couple of details.
How many credits are on the machine? (settings number 5, I think) -- the code won't award more credits after 40
Did you cross both levels in the same ball? -- the code won't award multiple specials in the same ball
Did you already achieve an extra ball through some other method? -- the code won't award multiple EBs in the same ball
Unfortunately, I no longer have a Meteor to experiment with. After I've released code, my partner waits a month or so and then runs away with machines in the middle of the night, leaving fresh broken ones in their place.
If anyone here has a Meteor and a bit of programming knowledge, here's the place where award scores are checked:
if (scoreAtTop != CurrentScoreOfCurrentPlayer) {
LastTimeScoreChanged = CurrentTime;
if (!TournamentScoring) {
for (int awardCount = 0; awardCount < 3; awardCount++) {
if (AwardScores[awardCount] != 0 && scoreAtTop < AwardScores[awardCount] && CurrentScoreOfCurrentPlayer >= AwardScores[awardCount]) {
// Player has just passed an award score, so we need to award it
if (((ScoreAwardReplay >> awardCount) & 0x01)) {
AddSpecialCredit();
} else if (!ExtraBallCollected) {
AwardExtraBall();
}
}
}
}
}
A well placed sound effect or two would tell us what's happening.

Thank

Thank you for this. Lots of great questions:
1) There are less than 20 credits on the machine
2) Great question regarding crossing both levels on the same ball. I don't think so, but I will test this. Considering that I've never seen the second award get triggered, I'd think this is not the case.
3) I have it set for "credit" "credit" "extra ball" so I don't think that is the issue (having previously earned an extra ball via another method).

But I do have a question (I used to be a FORTRAN and COBOL coder but those skills don't readily translate) -- this code seems to be for TournamentScoring and I do not have TournamentScoring set to on. Could that be the issue or am I reading it wrong?

Brian

6 months later
#523 11 months ago

Hi everyone. Just uploaded the latest software version onto my Rev1 board. Everything runs great but seems like the Test/Audit/Parameters have changed a bit. Does anyone have a comprehensive list? Thanks so much!!!

#524 11 months ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

I've updated the Meteor software to use my latest library (which has some bug-fixes and increased portability):
https://github.com/RetroPinUpgrade/MeteorStrike2023
I don't have a Meteor here, so this software is untested. If anyone gives it a try, please let me know how that goes.
Before compiling & updating, be sure to configure with RPU_config.h to match your hardware revision. Thanks!

So...apologize for the long post.

I successfully uploaded this to my RoyGBev Version 1 board with Nano. The result was that the game started playing erratically. Some examples are that the coin door options did not align with the known list of settings and they jumped from (as I recall - -more on this in a bit) from 12 to 17. Additionally, the backbox lamps behaved oddly -- for example, when I scored a "super shot", the Game Over lamp lit momentarily.

OK -- so here's the "more in a bit". I found code from October and was in the process of uploading that when my machine went into cardiac arrest. I am not sure what occurred here but a got that "uh oh" smell coming from (I believe) the solenoid board and noted that the fuse on that board had blown. At this point I get playfield and backlamps during startup but no chime and no scoring lamps. Fuse is on order (I'm hoping that it did its job and gave itself up before frying the board components) and, at that time, I'll be able to post more details on my findings.

I am almost certain that my Anduino setup is good (I removed it and reconnected the cables to the MPU-200 and no change in the situation).

So, while I wait for the fuse, if anyone has any ideas on what/how I can test (I'm a novice but do have a meter) -- please let me know. I can use all of the help I can get. My pinball go-to guy is vacationing in the Philippines so I'm on my own until he gets back!

Thanks in advance,

Brian

#526 11 months ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Having your machine up and running on the original code is the best first step. Replace your fuse and try it without the Arduino board installed. If that all works, reinstall the Arduino board. Strictly speaking the Arduino takes over for the actual processor, RAM, ROM can all be dead and the Arduino will work. However much of the rest of the MPU board is used by the Arduino so best to have the stock machine running first.

Thank you -- that's what I'll do (as soon as I get the fuse which isn't easy to find). Will update when I have more infor.

#528 11 months ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Good advice from BJM-Maxx -- get everything squared away with original.
Regarding the issues (thanks for the report), here's what I found:
1) The coin door settings were indeed misaligned from what I intended. I'll post a new list of the settings below.
2) The "Game Over" lamp in the head is involved in one of the lamp animations (perhaps erroneously, I guess). If you care to turn it off, I believe the lamp is the 0x04 in this line (in MeteorStrike.h)
{{0x00, 0x10, 0x30, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x04},
You can change the 0x04 to a 0x00 to turn it off.
3) I've never encountered anyone blowing a solenoid fuse during code upload, but I suppose it's possible. When code is being uploaded, the Arduino basically stops communicating to the MPU. If a solenoid was on at that time, it could "stick on" until the Arduino comes back up. The easiest way to avoid that is to have the machine booted to the Original code during updates to the Arduino. Flip the switch or remove the jumper, boot to original, and then the Arduino can be updated without any impact. If you really wanted to be perfectly safe, remove the Arduino board entirely before updating.
I hope everything is okay with your solenoid board (and solenoids). Fingers crossed that it's just a fuse, and my apologies if it's more than that.
I updated code to fix the coin door settings. It's here: https://github.com/RetroPinUpgrade/MeteorStrike2023/
As always, be sure to grab all the files into a clean directory, build, and install. You'll also have to change your board definition to Rev 1. The default for this is Rev 2:
#define RPU_OS_HARDWARE_REV 2
So change that to a 1 before you compile (in RPU_config.h).
Here are the coin door settings.
Tests (test number shown in Credits, Ball in Play is blank)
1 - Lamps
2 - Displays
3 - Solenoids
4 - Switches
5 - Sounds (not applicable)
Settings & Audits (page number shown in Ball in Play, Credits is blank)
1 - Award Score 1
2 - Award Score 2
3 - Award Score 3
4 - High Score
5 - Credits
6 - Total Plays
7 - Total Replays
8 - High Score Beat
9 - Chute 2 Coins
10 - Chute 1 Coins
11 - Chute 3 Coins
12 - Reboot (All displays show 8007 (as in "BOOT"), and Credit/Reset button restarts)
13 - Free Play
14 - Ball Save
15 - Music Level
16 - Tournament Scoring
17 - Tilt Warnings
18 - Award Scores (0 = all extra balls, 7 = all specals)
19 - Number of Balls Per Game
20 - Scrolling Scores
21 - Extra Ball Award (for tournament scoring)
22 - Special Award (for tournament scoring)
23 - Dim Level
24 - Attract Mode Sound
25 - Match Feature

Thanks so much for all of this. I did change the hardware version type. Is the code fix intended to address the skipping a bunch of the coin door settings during my test (wasn't sure from your note but hoping that is true). If not it means that something else is going on with my machine. Nonetheless, I've ordered fuses and an Alltek Solenoid board (I'm using LED displays so that's probably a better fit anyway -- but still want to see if the fuse fixes anything/everything). Got it all from Steve at PBR (he's in NY and I'm in PA so I'll get everything on Friday and you KNOW I'll get right on it).

This forum is the BEST! I've actually never played the original Meteor rules so looking forward to doing that!

Thanks everyone!

#529 11 months ago
Quoted from mandelbe:

Thanks so much for all of this. I did change the hardware version type. Is the code fix intended to address the skipping a bunch of the coin door settings during my test (wasn't sure from your note but hoping that is true). If not it means that something else is going on with my machine. Nonetheless, I've ordered fuses and an Alltek Solenoid board (I'm using LED displays so that's probably a better fit anyway -- but still want to see if the fuse fixes anything/everything). Got it all from Steve at PBR (he's in NY and I'm in PA so I'll get everything on Friday and you KNOW I'll get right on it).
This forum is the BEST! I've actually never played the original Meteor rules so looking forward to doing that!
Thanks everyone!

Hi everyone. Well, neither the fuse (on the original solenoid board) nor the new solenoid board solved the issue. Still just getting GI lights with no system boot. Ugh. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. (I am running off of the original MPU at this time -- Arduino not connected)
Brian

#530 11 months ago
Quoted from mandelbe:

Hi everyone. Well, neither the fuse (on the original solenoid board) nor the new solenoid board solved the issue. Still just getting GI lights with no system boot. Ugh. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. (I am running off of the original MPU at this time -- Arduino not connected)
Brian

Update: Steve from Alltek was brilliant and pointed me to the rectifier board. I had visually checked the fuses but he suggested a continuity check -- right on! Blown fuse F3. Now I get to hunt that down

#531 11 months ago
Quoted from mandelbe:

Update: Steve from Alltek was brilliant and pointed me to the rectifier board. I had visually checked the fuses but he suggested a continuity check -- right on! Blown fuse F3. Now I get to hunt that down

Update (because I know that you are all in suspense). I not only blew the solenoid driver board and its fuse but a rectifier fuse (f3). Once those were replaced the game boots in original mode but the Anduino won't boot with the Jumper installed. It does download the code correctly.

Hey -- good news is that I get to play the original Meteor. Bad news is that DickHamill did such a great job that -- well -- I gotta get back to playing that version. Any ideas?

Brian

#533 11 months ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

So your machine is running fine on stock code. What MPU is this, if it is an original have you connected to jumper to R134. Not needed on an Alltek MPU.

It's the original MPU-200. I don't see a jumper at R134 but the board was running prior to my code update attempt so I assume whatever was jumpered is correct? Reasonable?

Thanks so much!!!!!!
Brian

#535 11 months ago
Quoted from troxel:

The jumper to R134 is NOT used on MPU-200 boards.

Ok --thank you. Not sure where to go from here....

#537 11 months ago
Quoted from mandelbe:

Ok --thank you. Not sure where to go from here....

Update: There's definitely something funky with my Rev 1 and/or Nano. I cleared the memory (just uploaded a basic script) and then uploaded a codeset from October of 2022 for Meteor2021. That ran for a bit and I was in the process of updating settings when the ball display just started flashing a "5". From that point on, I couldn't get the board to do anything even after reloading code.

Interesting, when the system is in base code mode, the red LED on the MPU flashes and then goes out. With the new code, it just stays red and the machine doesn't boot. I'm thinking the board has to be fried -- but not sure which board..

Thanks everyone.

Brian

#538 11 months ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Was your arduino already assembled and preloaded with the new Meteor 2021 code? If not then definitely need to double check the construction of the board and if you're not sure if the new code was ever loaded on the Arduino then that may need to be done. If you have the Nano version there were a couple different boot loaders to chose when programming it.
I have the new Meteor 2021 code loaded on an Arduino Nano. Running well on an original MPU-200 board. I've used it on an Alltek too but went to an original MPU on my game. You'll eventually get it. The original Meteor is great and the new code is like having a whole second game. You can swicth between the two.

Thanks so much for your note! It was running fine before I attempted to upload new code from the library and then everything went haywire. I did the upload with the board mounted in the machine (I read this was ok) but not a good idea. Took out my Solenoid Driver Board (it was original -- so I bought an Alltek new version). That got me back to operational on the base code but now I can't get the new code to run.

#540 11 months ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

With the Arduino board removed, is your game truly stable and consistently so? Still with the board removed, can you load the basic Arduino blink example code and check that it works. If all that works, I think it is more likely you have a connection issue with your MPU board especially if it is an original board. On my Eight Ball I ran into issues where in the distant past I had reflowed solder on all pins except for the J5 connector. I found some cracked solder joints. Just cleaning the pins might help.
Also, while I was writing the Eight Ball Plus code, I reprogrammed my Arduino with my machine running literally 100's of times, it never caused a problem.

I need to play it more but yes, I think everything is stable when running base code. Right now I have the board installed but the jumper off so running base. Seems to be fine.
Yes, I ran blink test and ran fine. Just to check, I ordered a Nano from Amazon to see if that changes anything. Based on your note - I suspect it won’t. Great advice on examining the MPU. I assumed that since it ran base code fine it had to be the Nano or the adapter board but you are right, could easily be a temperamental solder joint or connector. I’ll check that out as well. Thanks so much!!!

1 week later
#544 11 months ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Good advice from BJM-Maxx -- get everything squared away with original.
Regarding the issues (thanks for the report), here's what I found:
1) The coin door settings were indeed misaligned from what I intended. I'll post a new list of the settings below.
2) The "Game Over" lamp in the head is involved in one of the lamp animations (perhaps erroneously, I guess). If you care to turn it off, I believe the lamp is the 0x04 in this line (in MeteorStrike.h)
{{0x00, 0x10, 0x30, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x04},
You can change the 0x04 to a 0x00 to turn it off.
3) I've never encountered anyone blowing a solenoid fuse during code upload, but I suppose it's possible. When code is being uploaded, the Arduino basically stops communicating to the MPU. If a solenoid was on at that time, it could "stick on" until the Arduino comes back up. The easiest way to avoid that is to have the machine booted to the Original code during updates to the Arduino. Flip the switch or remove the jumper, boot to original, and then the Arduino can be updated without any impact. If you really wanted to be perfectly safe, remove the Arduino board entirely before updating.
I hope everything is okay with your solenoid board (and solenoids). Fingers crossed that it's just a fuse, and my apologies if it's more than that.
I updated code to fix the coin door settings. It's here: https://github.com/RetroPinUpgrade/MeteorStrike2023/
As always, be sure to grab all the files into a clean directory, build, and install. You'll also have to change your board definition to Rev 1. The default for this is Rev 2:
#define RPU_OS_HARDWARE_REV 2
So change that to a 1 before you compile (in RPU_config.h).
Here are the coin door settings.
1 - Lamps
2 - Displays
3 - Solenoids
4 - Switches
1 - Award Score 1
2 - Award Score 2
3 - Award Score 3
4 - High Score
5 - Credits
6 - Total Plays
7 - Total Replays
8 - High Score Beat
9 - Chute 2 Coins
10 - Chute 1 Coins
11 - Chute 3 Coins
12 - Reboot (All displays show 8007 (as in "BOOT"), and Credit/Reset button restarts)
13 - Free Play
14 - Ball Save
15 - Music Level
16 - Tournament Scoring
17 - Tilt Warnings
18 - Award Scores (0 = all extra balls, 7 = all specals)
19 - Number of Balls Per Game
20 - Scrolling Scores
21 - Extra Ball Award (for tournament scoring)
22 - Special Award (for tournament scoring)
23 - Dim Level
24 - Attract Mode Sound
25 - Match Feature

Hi Everyone,

Apologize for the long post but hopefully you will find some of this information useful Also, there is an ask at the bottom as I can't seem to figure out the new coin door switch settings.

First let me share that despite the experience of others. I would NOT upgrade the Arduino software with the board installed in the machine. Doing so (yes, the power was off) ended up sending me down a huge rabbit hole. I absolutely fried my Solenoid board and blew two fuses and also took out my RoyGBev adapter board and Anduino Nano (the board was Rev 1). Yes, many have told me that they've done this many times -- didn't work out so well for me.

Second, the good news is that once I replaced the Solenoid board and the fuses, I realized that I needed a new adapter and Anduino. So, while I waited, I played original Meteor which is also a great game. In doing so, I learned something else. If you only play the new code, the LED lamps behave just fine and you don't need a new lamp driver with the LEDs (no, I have no idea why this is the case but I can confirm it is (at least on my machine). Play the base code and your LEDs flicker terribly (awaiting new Lamp Driver to arrive tomorrow).

Since I was already "all in" -- I also replaced my MPU (Alltek like the Solenoid and the Lamp Driver) -- thank you Dave for getting the stuff out to me so quickly.

As a favor to those on this great forum, I also procured a bunch of 2-pin wired connectors so that I could add a switch and play both the base code and the new code. If anyone needs one, just DM me with your address and I'll drop one in regular mail. Offer good until I run out.

Finally -- the ask. DickHamill - I got the coin door setting above but I'm seeing weird results. I thought I would write down what I'm seeing

Code version is 2021-08-05-01

Ball display 01 -- award 1 (seems right)
Ball display 02 -- award 2 (seems right)
Ball display 03 -- award 3 (seems right)
Ball display 04 -- High score (interesting that it does not scroll on a 5 digit display but not a big deal. Seems right)
Ball display 05 -- 09 (supposed to be credits -- assume it is right)
Ball display 06 -- 04 (supposed to be total plays -- assume it is right)
Ball display 07 -- 00 (supposed to be total replays -- assume it is right)
Ball display 08 -- 00 (supposed to be number of times high score is beat -- assume it is right)
Ball display 09 -- 00 (supposed to be Chute 2 -- didn't test)
Ball display 10 -- 00 (supposed to be chute 1 -- didn't test)
Ball display 11 -- 00 supposed to be chute 3 -- didn't test)
Ball display 12 -- 8007 -- as expected
OK -- so here's where it gets funky
Ball display 13 -- Player 1 "04" Player two "01" Credit button does nothing. Supposed to be Free Play setting
Ball display 14 -- Same as Ball display 13 -- and same behavior -- supposed to be Ball Save timing
Ball display 15 -- Same as Ball display 13 and 14 --= and same behavior -- supposed to be music level
Ball display 16 -- 00 Supposed to be Tournament Scoring
Ball display 17 -- 15 Supposed to be Tilt Warning
Ball display 18 -- 03 Supposed to be Award Scores (balls, specials)
Ball display 19 -- 00 supposed to be balls per game
Ball display 20 -- 02 Supposed to be scrolling scores (and mine do scroll)
Ball display 21 -- 00 -- supposed to be Extra Ball Award for Tournament scoring
Ball display 22 -- 03 -- supposed to be Special Award for Tournament scoring
Ball display 23 -- 01 -- supposed to be Dim Level
Ball display 24 -- 00 -- supposed to be attract mode (for me, attract mode is 2)
Ball display 25 -- 00 -- supposed to be Match feature
Ball display 26 -- 02
Ball display 27 -- 00
Ball display 28 -- 01
Ball display 29 -- Attract

#545 11 months ago
Quoted from piccolohl:

Will check this out thanks, Im gonna wait on fixing the sound until i get the game working aside from sound, so just trying to figure out if the new codes actually installed etc. Took it from only being GI and completely dead, to half of the feature lamps working, solenoids working and i can do the test menu, but no GI haha (and no fuses blown).
actually one question, if i go to adjustment 13, which i saw somewhere is free play, it says its set to "13" as well, what should it be? I can't start a game and trying to narrow down if its credits or not since the mechs arent adding any

Setting 13, 14 and 15 seem to be wrong as documented. So I believe that 13 (Free Play) is actually 16

2 weeks later
#558 10 months ago

Hello! I'm not sure if anyone else is seeing the following odd behavior with the latest version.
As shared above, the coin door settings for 13, 14 and 15 seem to be wrong. If you skip those settings, everything else aligns.
During play, the match light and the tilt light come on intermittently. Does not occur when I play the original "base" Meteor.
The middle rollover goes from dim to bright (normally dim). Does not occur when I play the original "base" Meteor.
The rocket scoring and countdown seem to be erratic. For example, after I lose a ball, if the rocket is above 4,000 it counts down to 4,000 and then goes to the next rocket (never scoring the 3,000, 2,000 and 1,000). If below 4,000, it seems to work properly. Similarly, I get intermittent scoring lights during game play.

Thanks,
Brian

#560 10 months ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Hi Brian,
Regarding the coin door settings, there are two different expected behaviors. If you don't compile with:
RPU_OS_DISABLE_CPC_FOR_SPACE defined in your RPU_config.h, then your coin door settings should match the ones listed in this post:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-2021-new-code-for-stern-meteor-1979/page/11#post-7573694
The reason for that is because I made a version without coins per credit control in order to fit everything on the NANO. If you're running on a MEGA 2560 Pro (instead of the NANO), you can get rid of the RPU_OS_DISABLE_CPC_FOR_SPACE definition, and that will add three new settings (13, 14, and 15) to control the coins per credit for the three chutes. In that case, the coin door settings look like this:
1 - Lamps
2 - Displays
3 - Solenoids
4 - Switches
1 - Award Score 1
2 - Award Score 2
3 - Award Score 3
4 - High Score
5 - Credits
6 - Total Plays
7 - Total Replays
8 - High Score Beat
9 - Chute 2 Coins
10 - Chute 1 Coins
11 - Chute 3 Coins
13 - Coins per Credit for Chute 1
14 - Coins per Credit for Chute 2
15 - Coins per Credit for Chute 3
16 - Free Play
17 - Ball Save
18 - Music Level
19 - Tournament Scoring
20 - Tilt Warnings
21 - Award Scores (0 = all extra balls, 7 = all specals)
22 - Number of Balls Per Game
23 - Scrolling Scores
24 - Extra Ball Award (for tournament scoring)
25 - Special Award (for tournament scoring)
26 - Dim Level
27 - Attract Mode Sound
28 - Match Feature
Regarding the lamps - can you post a video showing the behavior? I'm not aware of any lamp changes, but something could have happened in error. Ideally, if you posted lamp behavior with older code and latest, I might see something.

This is great. Thank Dick. I've attached a picture of the rollovers when running the base code. You see that the three rollovers are full brightness in the first pics (this is at startup). Then in the video (link here:

), I had already triggered the targets to advance the rockets and you can see the countdown.

Then I captured using Meteor 2021 (your amazing re-write!), you see the three rollovers with the middle "dim". Again this is at startup.

Then the video shows the rocket behavior.

It seems that the value starts at 4K and then counts down to 4K -- at least in some cases?

BaseRollover (resized).jpegBaseRollover (resized).jpeg
#563 10 months ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Thanks so much for the videos. I see what you're saying.
When you boot the machine to new code, can you tell me the 4 numbers in the player displays at boot time? That will help me understand what version to start my diagnosis.
Thanks!

Hi Dick. I have 2021, 08, 05, 01

Also -- two additional videos for you. This one shows the MATCH flashing during game play. I'm not sure but I think it starts flashing on the first Meteor storm and never turns off.

This one shows the TILT flashing during game play. I can't catch when it happens.

Thanks so much for this!!!

Brian

#565 10 months ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

If you can, please try the new code I just uploaded:
https://github.com/RetroPinUpgrade/MeteorStrike2023
It should show up as version 2021, 09, 05, 02

I will try tonight! Thanks Dick

#566 10 months ago
Quoted from mandelbe:

I will try tonight! Thanks Dick

You are a genius, Mr. Hamill. Everything working great now. The only remaining item (and it is totally not an issue for me) is that settings 13, 14 and 15 still show "04 01". I commented out the line 60 as follows "//#define RPU_OS_DISABLE_CPC_FOR_SPACE". That should do it -- yes? But anyway, no issue and all of the lighting and rocket scoring now work great. Phantom Match and TILT light also gone.

Thank you!!!

1 week later
#570 10 months ago
Quoted from Dogford_Studios:

After installing the new code. I get five beeps and then a wav tone but no displays and credit button doesn't start a game.

Check the "free play" setting and the number of credits.

#572 10 months ago

So in the MeteorStrike 2023 main file under "Machine state and options" I changed credits from 0 to "5" and freeplay from "false" to "true" as seen below.
byte Credits = 5;
byte ChuteCoinsInProgress[3] = {0, 0, 0};
boolean FreePlayMode = true;
That didn't change anything. Is that the right way to change to freeplay?

Not in my experience. The correct way is through the coin door switch. I would change the code back to the way it was -- recompile and reload.
Then turn the machine on. You will hear the 5 chimes and the wav sound. Press the button inside the coin door (long white plunger). The settings are above in this discussion but essentially, if you depress the button until there is a "5" in the Credits display (the left side of the credit/ball count display) and then press the credit button to add credits, that should fix your problem. And it will prove that you are not in Free Play mode. Cycle a few more settings and then turn the machine off and then on again. You should see your Credits (as previously entered) in the Credits window. Press the button and you should be live.

If not, you may have a stuck switch or something but this should not be the case if the game works properly when running the original (base) code.

#577 10 months ago

Ok, thanks, I'm back in action now. The issue was the Rev. in BSOS_config.h -- REV 1 worked with my nano.
// Hardware Rev 1 generally uses an Arduino Nano & (option) 74125
// Hardware Rev 2 uses an Arduino Nano, a 74155, and a 74240
// Hardware Rev 3 uses a MEGA 2560 Pro, and nothing else
#define BALLY_STERN_OS_HARDWARE_REV 1

Great! Enjoy!!

#578 10 months ago
Quoted from mandelbe:

You are a genius, Mr. Hamill. Everything working great now. The only remaining item (and it is totally not an issue for me) is that settings 13, 14 and 15 still show "04 01". I commented out the line 60 as follows "//#define RPU_OS_DISABLE_CPC_FOR_SPACE". That should do it -- yes? But anyway, no issue and all of the lighting and rocket scoring now work great. Phantom Match and TILT light also gone.
Thank you!!!

Hi,
Hate to be a pest but is anyone else noticing that the rocket multiplier doesn't have any impact on the scoring in the latest version?

#580 10 months ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

It has been a while since I've played. What's the rocket multiplier?
Like, the bonus multiplier?
Or the outlane thing where you collect when lit?
I haven't (intentionally) changed anything about the scoring. I've just been updating the library that talks to the hardware. Any chance you could post a video?

Hi!

So I was mistaken. The scoring seems correct it is the animation that has change. Hard to catch while playing so I took the glass off and did it manually. In the base game it actually illuminates for the 4x count, the 2x count and the 1x count (running down the rockets as each multiplier is added to the score). In the new version, it just runs it once but counts the score correctly.

4 months later
#614 5 months ago

Hello fellow Meteor fans. I just tried to upload the latest version of the code (Shows as Major Revision 10) and it did not work on my machine. I reverted back to Revision 9 and all is well. I run the Mega 2560 board (build by RoyGBev) and the full set of Alltek boards (MPU, Solenoid and Lamp).
Not sure if anyone else has tried or is having issues -- but thought I would alert everyone. Good think I had the prior version saved to my laptop!!

#616 5 months ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Do you have the proper board revision selected in RPU_config.h ?
(the default is now 4 -- do you have an older Rev?)
// Plug-in board architectures (0-99 is for J5, 100-199 is for CPU socket)
// Hardware Rev 1 generally uses an Arduino Nano & (optional) 74125
// Hardware Rev 2 uses an Arduino Nano, a 74155, and a 74240
// Hardware Rev 3 uses a MEGA 2560 Pro, and nothing else
// Hardware Rev 4 uses a MEGA 2560 Pro (all the pins) on a larger board (display & WIFI)
// Hardware Rev 100 (different order of magnitude because it's a different approach) plugs into the CPU socket
// Hardware Rev 101 - first RPU CPU interposer release board
// Hardware Rev 102 - second RPU (with display and WIFI socket)
#define RPU_OS_HARDWARE_REV 4

Hi Dick,
Yes — I modified to “3” as I have a MEGA 2560

#618 5 months ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Huh. That was my best guess for a quick fix...
What's the behavior? You turn it on and nothing happens (no sounds, lamps, or displays)?
Does it boot to original without the switch (or jumper) closed?

Hi Dick,
Yes -- boots to the original code just fine and working fine with Revision 9 (from June/July?).
It boots with the Revision 10 code -- makes some odd sounds and then, after ball launch, tilts almost immediately and shuts down (no tilt warnings which I get normally)

#620 5 months ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

I'm sure you would rather not upload broken code again, but any chance you could make me a video of the behavior? Sometimes video points me in the right direction...

I'll find time over the next few days. Thanks, Dick.

#621 5 months ago
Quoted from mandelbe:

I'll find time over the next few days. Thanks, Dick.

Hi DickHamill

Well, some odd occurrences. You may want to pour a glass of wine.
I uploaded the Rev 10 code again. Had my video running as I turned on the machine. Turned on fine. Hit the credit button. All fine. Played a game. All fine. So I'm thinking that maybe my last upload was corrupted? But I decide to turn the machine off and then back on. I get lights but no boot. So I try again. Same. Reload the Rev 9 code. Runs fine. Turned it off and back on. Runs fine. Runs fine on the base code in all scenarios. And I've been running Rev 9 since July/August with no issues.
Frankly the only reason I was looking to upgrade was to eliminate an anomaly that showed up in Rev 9 where the Rocket1, Rocket2 and Rocket3 sounds seem to repeat after a hit. Kinda annoying but I got used to it. Obviously I could also just edit those sounds to be silent and that would fix it as well so not too annoying. But I did notice in my one play of Rev 10 that the problem was eliminated.

Happy to do other testing. To remind you, I'm runing new Alltek boards throughout and a RoyGBev Rev 3 board.

Thanks so much!
Brian

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mandelbe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-2021-new-code-for-stern-meteor-1979?tu=mandelbe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.