(Topic ID: 289487)

Meteor 2021 - new code for Stern Meteor (1979)

By DickHamill

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 649 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by DickHamill
  • Topic is favorited by 115 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0957 - ANNOTATED (resized).jpg
IMG_0956 - ANNOTATED (resized).jpg
IMG_7769 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0663 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2445 (resized).jpg
IMG_2444 (resized).jpg
IMG_5196 (resized).jpg
IMG_5188 (resized).jpg
20230731_220626 (resized).jpg
20230731_220626 (resized).jpg
IMG_4380 (resized).jpg
IMG_4379 (resized).jpg
IMG_4378 (resized).jpg
IMG_0960 (resized).jpg
BaseRollover (resized).jpeg
20230424_194610 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider charles_kline.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago

This is great, I'm looking forward to playing it. I love that it allows new and old code to be chosen by a switch.

#12 3 years ago

Is this board kit compatible with this?
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1304-roygbev-pinball/04736-arduino-nano-adapter-for-classic-bally-stern

RoyGBev mentions a jumper that selects original or Arduino, and you mention its selected by weather or no the Arduino is switched on. Just want to make sure.

Thank again for doing this.

1 week later
#48 3 years ago

Got my Roy board on its way and the nanos ordered, I'm looking forward to building this.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

That's funny that you'd think I wasn't confident soldering! It's actually the downloading of info and getting it all working in sync. I still have a pin buddy I can ask. It just amazes me because I'd pay $200 for one and it sounds like parts are $20 or so. I've just never had to beg to find someone to take my money

The issue with something like this is support, if someone assembles the board and get it running and the buyer has issues getting it to work in their machine the assembler is on the hook for support. Not something I'd want to deal with.

1 week later
#70 3 years ago

Got the board built and received the Wav trigger today. Now to move onto loading software....

DE61E8C4-0E2E-4C50-A61C-250125E5855D (resized).jpegDE61E8C4-0E2E-4C50-A61C-250125E5855D (resized).jpeg

#71 3 years ago

I'm totally new to this arduino stuff so I'm sure I'm doing something simple, wrong.

When I tried to upload the sketch of the nine files I get this error:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I downloaded the BallySternOS.cpp and .h from the library files.

I solved this by re-copying the BSOS_Config.h from the Meteor2021 zip file. Posting anyway in case others run into this issue.

#72 3 years ago

Plugged it in and got this:

No attract mode yet but seems like progress is being made.

After being on this for a few seconds it goes to all 10000 on the player scores and then to 00 on everything.

No reaction to start, coin or service switches.

#75 3 years ago

It is the original MPU-200

My understanding is with the -200 I do not need the IRQ jumper, correct?

When the jumper is disconnected I get nothing, when the jumper is connected is when I get what is seen above BUT when that is connected the game will not boot to original with the J3 jumper removed.

I'll try the burning the machine diagnostic and see if that tells us anything.

#78 3 years ago

I'll check the Vin, the Arduino has power... (leds lit)

To clarify the IRQ jumper description. When the jumper is Not connected the Arduino does nothing but the original game will boot with J3 off. When the IRQ jumper Is connected the display will show "2021" as seen in the photo but the original game will Not boot.

I'll double check the connectivity of the IRQ line as suggested.

Thank you.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Even without a connection to VIN or 5V, many Arduinos (Elegoo, for example) will phantom power through the other IO pins.

Ah, makes sense!

#81 3 years ago

Its working!

28B3011C-7A8C-4B4B-8B6E-9D7312F06326 (resized).jpeg28B3011C-7A8C-4B4B-8B6E-9D7312F06326 (resized).jpeg

It was just the 5v jumper.

Now to move onto the wav trigger.

#85 3 years ago

Its possible its one of the new(ish) 'mini' resistors.

I ordered some recently for a kit project I was doing and got 1/4 watt mini resistors that looked like 1/8 watt.

2 weeks later
#89 3 years ago

I've been playing the new code, its so much fun.

Thanks again DickHamill !!

#97 3 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!
Videos are always appreciated. I like to see the strategies that people are using and how far they get through the goals.
I want to spot any exploits for unintended points.

I've been wanting to get a video of it, I wanted to get somewhat decent first. Its funny I remember hitting that stand-up target ALL the time on the original code now it's almost impossible to hit when I need to fire the rockets. lol. Its amazing how different it makes it.

I still need to wire in the switch so I can select from new and old code.

1 week later
#115 3 years ago

Are those having issues with MPU-200 boards running NVRAM on them? I am not so I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it (though you wouldn't think it would since RAM ROM and CPU are bypassed.

I've been playing the heck out of it and loving it.

#117 3 years ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

Charles_Kline hello fellow CO resident and Meteor owner! I do not have NVRAM on my MPU-200 but I also apparently have no battery either. I ordered one of those remote battery holders with the blocking diode and will install that this weekend. I have read some MPU-200 machines will work without a battery for the RAM but will eventually have timing and junk data issues without one. From what I understand most NVRAM solutions don't necessarily help with the memory issues and I don't mind changing batteries every year or so. I did post some pictures of my MPU earlier in this thread and it is pretty rough but seems to work fine without the J5 adapter. The issues started when I plugged in my Bally/Stern OS adapter and all I could see from the new code was a different attract mode, but nothing else loaded. I eventually was able to reseat all the cables just right and my game works but still have not gotten the 2021 code to work . I will probably mess with it some more this weekend after I install the new batteries.
Did you have to change ANYTHING in the code or how it was connected to your MPU-200?
Thanks,
John

Nope, once I got the power jumper on right it fired right up.

#125 2 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Thanks again to Robotworkshop , I was able to debug on a -200 with the bad behavior. Because of the faster clock, the Arduino's timing was inconsistent with reading the data from the bus. In this implementation (because the MPUs RAM & ROM aren't used), the Arduino's bus reads are pretty much limited to pulling in switch data. The Arduino clock would phase with the MPUs clock and sometimes try to latch the data bus before it had settled. In the case of the board here, sometimes D1 was reading high because it hadn't settled to low at the time of the read. That resulted in switch noise at 0x02, 0x0A, 0x12, etc.
I settled the issue on the board here by waiting one full clock cycle before attempting to read the bus. I tested the change on a -200, two -100s, a -17, and an Alltek. Robotworkshop tested the change on his -200s, a -35, and an Alltek.
During that testing, Robotworkshop identified a separate issue that may be related to the newer Arduino bootloader. If you're seeing inconsistent booting, especially when using an Alltek MPU, please let me know and perhaps try an Arduino with the CH340 USB-to-serial chip using the old bootloader option from Tools>Processor.
So, short answer: Get latest from GitHub (both the library https://github.com/BallySternOS/BallySternOS and Meteor2021 https://github.com/BallySternOS/Meteor2021), and you should have better luck running on a Stern MPU-200.
The new software has a Meteor version of 2021.2 and a library version of 1.8, so the player displays when the machine boots will be:
Player 1: 2021
Player 2: 2
Player 3: 1
Player 4: 8
Please post any success/failure here - thanks!

Is mine working just a fluke?

#130 2 years ago

I had some time over lunch break today so I played some Meteor 2021 and did a Facebook live stream to one of the pinball groups.

https://www.facebook.com/100001036450126/videos/4199095806801593/

#132 2 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Great video - thanks for posting!

Also recorded one to post to Youtube.

Had a pretty decent first game then went downhill from there. I was trying to complete Orpheus mode but kept loosing it right after starting it.

#134 2 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

I know the feeling well! I like to think it's because my voiceover was so intimidating.

Your call outs really are great.

#136 2 years ago

One thing I've been thinking about with the new sounds is the recognizable Star Wars sounds, the Hyperdrive fail when loosing a ball and the Throne Room/End Title song from A New Hope, its kinda takes you out of the game because they are so recognizable.

I picked up the movie on Laserdisc and I'm going to take notes while watching it, surely there are a few Sean Connery lines we can use as call outs.

#140 2 years ago

I've only made it about halfway through the movie so far but I had an idea for another mode, if there is room in the code for it.

A "Re-align the Hercules Rockets" mode where it would call out the re-align to 'Angle 31.2' or 'Vector 13.1' (whatever you think sounds coolest) where it could call out a pseudo random combination of the 1,2,3 drop targets and you'd have to hit them in that order to complete the mode. You could flash the lights next to each drop in the sequence.

#144 2 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Is this a "kit" with directions that a regular pinball dude can install? I have a new pf coming and my gal would go crazy if I swapped it, did the full restore and fired it up with this awesomeness on it.

Not a "kit" but super easy to do with RoyGBev's board.

1 week later
#156 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

This is fantastic! Thank you for all the hard work putting something like this out there for everyone to enjoy and to give some love to some older pins that need it. I just picked up a Meteor yesterday and have ordered the a nano, sparkfun wav board, and Roy G Bev's PCB and am really looking forward to putting it all together and trying this out for myself.
I see the install calling for using PC speakers. Has anyone done a more permanent speaker install? I have had luck in Arcade1UPs using the cheep-o amazon amplifiers. I am planning to pair one plugged into the service outlet with with either inexpensive speakers or exciters that I can hopefully mount inconspicuously in the head, and wire to the boot selector switch so that it toggles with the selection and minimizes any feedback present. (I included links below to what I have used in the past)

I'm using a set of $5 PC speakers I picked up from Goodwill, they are just sitting in the back box. I thought I'd have to point on down through the vent but the sound gets out just find with them just sitting there. I have the AC adapter running to the service outlet and I mean to unplug it when I turn off the game but often forget.

I'm going to tie it into 12v from the power supply so the wall wart can be deleted.

#165 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I’m the mean time I’ve been working on trying to get a sound system working that doesn’t change the look of the cabinet.

Did you see where I said I just put some goodwill computer speakers in the back box and it worked great? Can't get more "not changing the look of the cab" than invisible.

4 months later
#211 2 years ago

I'm excited to be bringing my Stern Meteor 2020 code to the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown and Gameroom Expo at the end of this month. I'm looking forward to seeing the reaction form people.

#213 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I'm looking forward to seeing/playing that! Let us know the booth/location number where you'll be if you know ahead of time.

Looking at the game list I see another Meteor is going to be coming, I'm kinda thinking they would be cool side by side... or maybe that'd be lame.. We'll see how it shakes out.

1 week later
#226 2 years ago

My Meteor has been getting played almost non stop at the Pinball Showndown.

15C0BB03-21AF-48B1-A93B-4734EDBEC826 (resized).jpeg15C0BB03-21AF-48B1-A93B-4734EDBEC826 (resized).jpeg

#230 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I played Charles_Kline 's Meteor with the Arduino board at the RMPS several times this weekend - very cool. I enjoyed the new sounds, call outs, and rule set. And I was pleasantly surprised to get a Shoot Again on fast drains, just like modern pins. I'm sure I would've enjoyed it more if I could hear it better....while the pin was located in one of the smaller rooms of the show, the ambient noise of other pins and people was still very loud and most of the pins were drowned out (it was impossible to hear any pins in the main room).
After I get my Meteor restore finished and running properly on the original board set, I'm going to look into an Arduino kit with this new Meteor code, especially if I can switch back and forth between the original and the updated. I did roll the score a few times and was also wondering if the Arduino kit was compatible with the 7 digit scoring mod some folks do on this game. I'll have to look into that.

Sound level is difficult, I turned it up when it got really crowded and noisy and this morning when I turned it on it was so loud people could hear it down the hallway.

The score scrolls in the display.

My high score of 1151430 is still on the game.

#234 2 years ago

I'm blown away by the response to my games, my Meteor won won:

Best of Show Pinball - Second Place!

IMG_2355 (resized).jpgIMG_2355 (resized).jpg

Nicely done DickHamill players loved it.

#236 2 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

That's awesome!
Wait -- did you take BoS in Arcade as well?
Great work.

I did, my Bally Sente Chicken Shift was a MUCH bigger hit than I expected it would be.

IMG_2350 (resized).jpgIMG_2350 (resized).jpg

Best of Show Arcade - First Place
Crowd Pleaser - First Place
Most Unique - First Place

3 months later
#311 2 years ago

Some of these generic Meteor questions should be posted to the owner thread to not clutter up this New Code thread.

Meteor Owners thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-club-we-will-let-you-know-when-the-danger-is-past

4 weeks later
#347 2 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Meteor with new code at Louisville arcade expo.
Grandson helped for setup last night.
Fun times.
I'll try and get some video up later today.
New code new amp 6 speakers and sub...it sounded awesome
after setup.
[quoted image]

Nice! Do you have a sign that says its new code? Mine was a hit at the Rocky Mountain show.

5 months later
#435 1 year ago
Quoted from Beebl:

7 digit displays are also not required, if you happen to "roll" the score on the 6 digit displays with Dick's great code the score will scroll.

Yep, 7 digit is not necessary.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Boards
Troxel Repair

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider charles_kline.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-2021-new-code-for-stern-meteor-1979?tu=charles_kline and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.