(Topic ID: 289487)

Meteor 2021 - new code for Stern Meteor (1979)

By DickHamill

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 649 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by DickHamill
  • Topic is favorited by 115 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0957 - ANNOTATED (resized).jpg
IMG_0956 - ANNOTATED (resized).jpg
IMG_7769 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0663 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2445 (resized).jpg
IMG_2444 (resized).jpg
IMG_5196 (resized).jpg
IMG_5188 (resized).jpg
20230731_220626 (resized).jpg
20230731_220626 (resized).jpg
IMG_4380 (resized).jpg
IMG_4379 (resized).jpg
IMG_4378 (resized).jpg
IMG_0960 (resized).jpg
BaseRollover (resized).jpeg
20230424_194610 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigguybbr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#150 2 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Finally, for the sounds, you'll need a Wav Trigger, a micro SD card for the sounds, and some computer speakers to play it through:
amazon.com link »
Some instructions here:
https://ballysternos.github.io/

This is fantastic! Thank you for all the hard work putting something like this out there for everyone to enjoy and to give some love to some older pins that need it. I just picked up a Meteor yesterday and have ordered the a nano, sparkfun wav board, and Roy G Bev's PCB and am really looking forward to putting it all together and trying this out for myself.

I see the install calling for using PC speakers. Has anyone done a more permanent speaker install? I have had luck in Arcade1UPs using the cheep-o amazon amplifiers. I am planning to pair one plugged into the service outlet with with either inexpensive speakers or exciters that I can hopefully mount inconspicuously in the head, and wire to the boot selector switch so that it toggles with the selection and minimizes any feedback present. (I included links below to what I have used in the past)
- 3.5mm to RCA https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071R4R5B8/ref=ewc_sw
- 2 Channel Amplifier https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C1Q1FPT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01
- Small 3W Speakers https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CHYIU26/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01
- Sound Exciter Pair https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EYEM8C/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5

Lastly, once I get this up and running, I was thinking about changing some of the background music to pull in some of the Space Mountain queue music, since it feels sufficiently "Spacey" without pulling you into any one particular sci-fi franchise. I added some clips from youtube queued up to memorable parts below incase anyone else wants to go in the same direction.

#162 2 years ago
Quoted from troxel:

Here's the video I did on the installation of the Arduino and Wav Trigger. Thanks for DickHamill and Robotworkshop for answering my questions along the way. I hope it helps others.

Thanks for putting this video together! Great job with it!

I did see one thing that might be a bit nit picky, so I'll apologize ahead of time. It's by no means a knock on your video, but it looks like you might have a few cold solder joints on your A1, A5, A7, 5V, and VIN pins. It might be worth taking a minute to reflow those 5 pins to save some headache down the road.

Thanks again though. This is great for us who like to see the work in action.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#164 2 years ago
Quoted from troxel:

bigguybbr Thanks for the nit pick. Those joints look horrible. I usually pride myself on soldering and de-soldering skills, but not this time. I can't even blame it on my soldering-monkey. That's all me . I did go back and correct them.

Hey I’m a mechanical engineer and my soldering skills show it, or lack there of

My RoyGBev board shows up late Saturday so I’ll get a chance to try my skills on Sunday

I’m the mean time I’ve been working on trying to get a sound system working that doesn’t change the look of the cabinet. I think I’ve settled on using a mini 2.1 amplifier that I can mount at the front of the cabinet and have access to adjust the volume from just inside the coin door. I’ve been surprised by the sound I can get out of 2 small 2” 5w speakers playing down through the vent in the head with the glass on. It acts like a large speaker cabinet with minimal effort, but it lacks low range. I’m tempted to maybe someday make small enclosure boxes like the old Capcoms used to great effect. I want to wire the 6” cabinet speaker into the toggle switch to change between the SB-300 in normal boot and the the subwoofer channel from the 2.1 amp. I need to also find a switched 12vdc power source, or conversely add a 120v ac switched power source to wire up an outlet for the wall wort that powers the small 2.1 amp.

#168 2 years ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

Did you see where I said I just put some goodwill computer speakers in the back box and it worked great? Can't get more "not changing the look of the cab" than invisible.

Nothing against computer speakers. I hack them and use them on a lot of my other tinkering projects like my vitual pin cab or the counter top arcade I made for my nephews. I'm going to be making 2 of RoyGBev's boards, and that's probably how I'll do it for the other Meteor install I'm giving away.

For my own I'm doing a full restoration including new CPR playfield, so I'm trying to make it pretty and have fun at the same time

IMG_0903 (resized).JPGIMG_0903 (resized).JPGMEYP5540 (resized).JPGMEYP5540 (resized).JPG
#169 2 years ago
Quoted from CousinPookie:

I've used a few of these for this very purpose:
amazon.com link »
They're not particularly cheap, but they're solid. They'll trigger from just about any voltage and are opto isolated.

Awesome suggestion! I have something similar in my virtual pin cab to handle turning the monitors on and off with the PC power button and it works great.

I think I'm going to start with PinballHelp 's suggestion to use a lamp cord hardwired to the transformer for now since it is cheep and easy, and I already have one

#170 2 years ago

I got mine up and running late last night. Aside from one cold solder joint on the J3 jumper pins, the whole thing went off without a hitch. My whole set up is still a jumble if wires, which is okay since I'm going to be tearing it down soon for a playfield swap and full cabinet repaint.

For the audio, I finally landed on using an inexpensive 12V 3A 2.1 amplifier and am driving 2 small 8 ohm 5 watt 2" speakers in the head sitting on some home made spacer rings made from a small piece of 2x3 with a 2" opening cut using hole saw . I connected the 6.5" speaker in the cabinet to the ON/ON switch to toggle the input signal between the original line in from the SB-300 and the subwoofer channel from the amp which prevents any extraneous noise in either original or 2021 mode. The 2021 code sound is realty great in 2.1 channel sound

Anyways here is a video of the set up in action before it gets torn down for refurbishment. Thank you again DickHamill for this awesome creation!

IMG_1915 (resized).JPGIMG_1915 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#176 2 years ago

Does anyone know if there is an special encoding to the Wav files? I was trying to swap out some of the background music using the same file name and encoded some MP3s to wav files at 16 bit 44.1kHz, and it won't seem to play.

#178 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

They have to be Stereo WAV files. If they are Mono they won't play. I've had to convert several audio files from mono to Stereo.
I've also run into some corrupt WAV files that would play on Windows but not on the WAVtrigger. Used one of the onliine converters to convert from WAV to WAV to fix those.
I had a fix a lot of audio files for another project.

Thank you! Do you use any particular online converter? I tried https://online-audio-converter.com/, while it plays fine on windows VLC player, it doesn't work on the wav trigger

1 week later
#180 2 years ago

My Meteor is finished. Now time to start on Trident!

9B0AAF7A-BA31-4C21-A6C0-413EA4EB3D97 (resized).jpeg9B0AAF7A-BA31-4C21-A6C0-413EA4EB3D97 (resized).jpeg

9BE5B1E2-1734-4DAD-BCE9-A26500E2725C (resized).jpeg9BE5B1E2-1734-4DAD-BCE9-A26500E2725C (resized).jpeg
#181 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

My Meteor is finished. Now time to start on Trident!
[quoted image]

B36CF3A6-1B47-44D3-A60E-4A16B4C1B173 (resized).jpegB36CF3A6-1B47-44D3-A60E-4A16B4C1B173 (resized).jpeg
#187 2 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Meteor looks great! Do you have LEDs in it?
Trident remains one of my favorite updates. There are great shots on that playfield but the original rules weren't great. I think you'll like the change.

I put in full leds through out when I redid it. Nice and bright and less heat.

My trident is in rough shape so it’ll be a few weeks before I get any games in on its. I should start a new restoration thread about it.

3 months later
#207 2 years ago
Quoted from RobCraig:

Hey bigguybbr
Did you ever try your exciters in the cabinet ... or any cabinet? I've been using these for a couple of years for other purposes, but not in pinball. Seems like there wouldn't be enough power for that sized exciter to move any part of the cabinet to yield much sound. But I'm curious. I've got several around here to try and would like to know if you gave it a shot.

Hey sorry I missed this. I didn't use the exciters in my Meteor, but did use them in my Trident. Worked great for higher frequencies, and used the cabinet speaker as a subwoofer to round out the sound. Here is the post where I talk about it

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trident-2020-restoration-/page/2#post-6401701

3 weeks later
#244 2 years ago
Quoted from woz:

I just tried playing a game on the original code and didn't even finish a ball - I lost interest that quickly and immediately switched back to Meteor2021!

I really only switch back to the original code before people visit. That way after a game I can pull the "Check this out!" and show them how much better the game gets.

3 weeks later
#250 2 years ago

I enjoy both my set ups where I use a cheep 2.1 channel amp to drive the cabinet speaker as a sub and 2 small speakers. In my Meteor I put the speakers in the head, in my Trident I put exciters on the bottom of the cabinet on either side of the cash box to keep the wire run short. Both sound great, and were pretty inexpensive.

#251 2 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

I'm really happy just injecting the sound into my SB-300 board and using the stock speaker. Sounds so clear.

semicolin I thought I remember you mentioning something about that on here. Did you write it up anyplace? I’d love to check it out.

#255 2 years ago
Quoted from SKORR_Arcades:

Does anyone have a write up of the parts needed and how to connect a switch to the board so we can swap back/forth to the original/new code?
Mainly need the exact part numbers to order to wire it up. Thx

I think I showed how I do it in my original post on the BSOS meteor thread

#263 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Some of the callouts already seemed good so there may not be that many that need adjustment.
My main point was that you just need to bump up the ones that seem too low for you but leave all the rest alone. Just reduce the overall volume control on the speakers. No need to mess with all the WAV files.
You can just pop out the microSD card (with the power off) and mount it on a PC. You can just make a folder on your computer and copy the whole sound set to that folder. You can play those WAV files on your PC. Test and alter to your liking, then copy back to the microSD card (unmount from PC before removing it) and then after putting back in the WAV trigger you'll have the updated sounds. I like to keep a copy of the originals the have a duplicate of that folder as a working one. That way if any get trashed you can always pull the original and start over.
One of the best tools for altering the WAV files is the open source tool Audacity. It can also fix WAV files that are not in the correct format so they can work with the WAV trigger. I've had to do that for another game. Some WAV files needed to be converted from mono to stereo in order to work. If the WAV file isn't in the correct format for the WAV trigger you just get silence instead of playing the sound.

+1 for using Audacity to edit the sounds on here. I swapped out some of the music files for background music sounds clips from Space Mountain (Disney Ride). It's awesome.

I think the only trick is when you save out files to use on the wav trigger, you have to make sure you save them as 16 bit PCM, not Float, or they won't play. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

1 week later
#268 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I put the Arduino board in last night and am loving the new Meteor 2021 code. I played this code at the RMPS a few months ago but in that loud environment I couldn't really appreciate the background music (I couldn't hear it). Now that I can evaluate it in my own home, I love it even more.
Install went smoothly and I rigged up a remote switch and mounted it in the coin box area to easily go between the OEM 1979 code and the 2021 code. I'm using a small 100W amp to drive a pair of passive faux rock speakers on top of the backbox - they sound AWESOME with this soundtrack. I'm toying with the idea of painting these rock speakers the colors of the cabinet to make them look more like the meteors on the cabinet side art.
Besides the new mission-based rule set, some other little things I noticed during gameplay and really liked:
- 7 digit scoring on a 6 digit display! At first I was confused why I didn't get a 3-knock knocker sound when I thought I got the high game. I had somewhere around 500K and I thought the high score was around 400K. I then noticed the high score SCROLL to reveal the "1" before the 400K. Totally cool.
- The Match sequence and sound effects at game over. Reminds me a bit of Eight Ball Deluxe. And when you match, the way the score blinks the last two digits to show you the match. Nice touch.
- The boot sound effect just before Attract Mode starts. Nice nod to the original.
Time to pour through the documentation and see if there are any tweaks I'd like to make to the settings. This is a wonderful product.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Glad you finally got a chance to try it out!

1 month later
#293 2 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

*What kind of pin and plug is that?*

.100" (2.54mm) pitch female connector housing works for these
https://www.amazon.com/Dupont-Connector-620Pcs-2-54mm-Housing/dp/B07BJ6WXT3

#294 2 years ago

what is the correct crimping tool for those?

Lots of opinions on what crimp tool to use that have been covered on here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-a-good-molex-connector-crimp-tool

I personally use this one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JLN93S

#308 2 years ago

These things.
They’re weird.
I assume other people have substituted a different sort of rubber or rubber/post combo?
[quoted image]

That definitely looks like a home owner hack. They probably broke an old faceted post and had no idea where to get another.

3 weeks later
#339 2 years ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

Is there something to the effect of the divide by 10 rom available for the original game available for meteor 2021? Im being cheap and dont want to upgrade to 7 digit displays. The scrolling score is nice but lowering the scores by a factor of 10 would be a nice option as well.

You could just edit the point values in the code. It would be a pretty easy update.

1 month later
#372 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkAnderson:

Is it possible to use this on Catacomb or Split Second?

You could write new game code using the BSOS platform. There is a lot of documentation on the GitHub site for this project. The existing code from Meteor wouldn’t work.

1 year later
#647 10 days ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

The issue is it's starting a game with no credits by pressing the start button. Wondering if it is an issue with the code or some setting that I'm missing.

Check your wiring. Sometimes people tie the two switches together to set it on free play

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 169.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigguybbr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-2021-new-code-for-stern-meteor-1979?tu=bigguybbr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.