(Topic ID: 289487)

Meteor 2021 - new code for Stern Meteor (1979)

By DickHamill

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 649 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by DickHamill
  • Topic is favorited by 115 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0957 - ANNOTATED (resized).jpg
IMG_0956 - ANNOTATED (resized).jpg
IMG_7769 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0663 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2445 (resized).jpg
IMG_2444 (resized).jpg
IMG_5196 (resized).jpg
IMG_5188 (resized).jpg
20230731_220626 (resized).jpg
20230731_220626 (resized).jpg
IMG_4380 (resized).jpg
IMG_4379 (resized).jpg
IMG_4378 (resized).jpg
IMG_0960 (resized).jpg
BaseRollover (resized).jpeg
20230424_194610 (resized).jpg
There are 649 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.
#301 2 years ago

Hey, does anybody have a preference on what rubber to use on the outlane posts? Mine appear to be original, they are these odd black nuns held down with a flat head screw, and they are basically not even rubber anymore. I haven’t seen a 1 replacement for these, wondering what others have landed on for a replacement?

#302 2 years ago

They're just standard post rubber rings. I had a regular post on my 6 or so Meteor's I've had there (I remove them to make the game harder). The inlane divider post is just a regular post rubber, there's 2 sizes of those, fatter I think would make the game harder.

#303 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I had been meaning to ask you if that voice was yours! The call outs are too specific to have been sampled from elsewhere so I figured they were purpose-made for this. Too cool.
I play this game with your code every night while I tweak the performance of the pin. Almost ready to set up my streaming rig and get some video of it in action.

Awesome - hope to catch the stream. I learn a lot from watching streams of these games. Helps me improve next revisions.
So far, most of the voices have been mine. I'm hoping to enlist some help for future games.

#304 2 years ago

These things.
They’re weird.
I assume other people have substituted a different sort of rubber or rubber/post combo?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#305 2 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

These things.
They’re weird.
I assume other people have substituted a different sort of rubber or rubber/post combo?
[quoted image]

That looks like a hack where someone installed a screw and some rubber grommets? It should be a single plastic post with a rubber ring.

#306 2 years ago

These things.
They’re weird.

What Eric_S said. Looks like a previous owner hacked yours. Should be a simple post with rubber ring.

outlane (resized).jpgoutlane (resized).jpg
#307 2 years ago

Ok if anyone is interested in a resample of the "Wizard Mode, complete drop targets....." and "Mission Success, Orpheus Defeated" callouts without the star wars theme songs. I used a song from the Meteor sound track that seemed appropriate enough for the situation.

https://voca.ro/183VWpKGsrQa

https://voca.ro/1bRUljUC1Nmg

#308 2 years ago

These things.
They’re weird.
[quoted image]

That definitely looks like a home owner hack. They probably broke an old faceted post and had no idea where to get another.

#309 2 years ago

Yep the original of what should be there. Standard stern post tall or short your choice.

#310 2 years ago

So here’s the weird bit: my brother’s Meteor had the same weird-ass setup. Did Stern run short on star posts one day?? I would have immediately assumed “previous owner didn’t know where to get replacement post” if not for having noticed the odd detail on another example already!
Really strange.
Anyhow…star posts installed, out lane drains far more save-able now

#311 2 years ago

Some of these generic Meteor questions should be posted to the owner thread to not clutter up this New Code thread.

Meteor Owners thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-club-we-will-let-you-know-when-the-danger-is-past

1 week later
#312 2 years ago

Will this solution work on a standard bally MPU in meteor?

#313 2 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Will this solution work on a standard bally MPU in meteor?

Yes as long as you just run the upgraded code only and may need to clip on one jumper wire. You could pull the ROMS, RAM, and CPU if you want. Not needed with the Arduino running the show.

#314 2 years ago

Odd question but can someone add the ability to set this to 2 coins for 1 play?

#315 2 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

At this time the OS is written to give a credit for each time a coin switch is hit. There is no way to do what you are looking for without adjusting the code.

#316 2 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

As BJM-Maxx noted, not at this time. I've just recently started including coins/credit code (Black Jack has a good implementation), but I haven't ported that into Meteor yet. That code base is tight. It might require a board rev 3 and up.

#317 2 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

As BJM-Maxx noted, not at this time. I've just recently started including coins/credit code (Black Jack has a good implementation), but I haven't ported that into Meteor yet. That code base is tight. It might require a board rev 3 and up.

Even without that extra code it shouldn't be too hard to just make a quick patch and recompile to only accept 2 coins per credit. It would just be fixed for that and ignore the DIP switches.

#318 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Even without that extra code it shouldn't be too hard to just make a quick patch and recompile to only accept 2 coins per credit. It would just be fixed for that and ignore the DIP switches.

True -- my code in Black Jack has subtleties in there about if you have two/three chutes with different values (like SBA versus Quarter) and being able to insert into either chute to increment towards a credit. Maybe more complicated than Deez needs.

#319 2 years ago

I definitely got some pushback on anything regarding credit ratios/max credits/coin handling from barcade type operators who wanted the flexibility in coinage. In the original games' coding it's the most stringent/consistent code from game to game - if the operator wasn't able to make money in the way they wanted, they didn't buy the game.

#320 2 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

True -- my code in Black Jack has subtleties in there about if you have two/three chutes with different values (like SBA versus Quarter) and being able to insert into either chute to increment towards a credit. Maybe more complicated than fattdirk needs.

I didn't want anything complicated just the ability to make it 50 cents instead of being stuck at 25. I don't need a bunch of options. I was actually contemplating building an arduino coin interface board that acts like a credit counter divider because I was planning on designing one anyway for my ringer. I just thought I'd ask if could get implemented in the code as I assume other operators would like to put something unique out on location like this game. Unfortunately 25 cents doesn't even cover basic maint for me.

I tried reading thru the code but it's above my limited skillset to understand how it handles the credits.

#321 2 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I didn't want anything complicated just the ability to make it 50 cents instead of being stuck at 25. I don't need a bunch of options. I was actually contemplating building an arduino coin interface board that acts like a credit counter divider because I was planning on designing one anyway for my ringer. I just thought I'd ask if could get implemented in the code as I assume other operators would like to put something unique out on location like this game. Unfortunately 25 cents doesn't even cover basic maint for me.
I tried reading thru the code but it's above my limited skillset to understand how it handles the credits.

Forgive me, I forgot - a simple implementation of this was already done last year. If you look near the top of Meteor2021.ino, you'll see this line:
#define COINS_PER_CREDIT 1

Simply change that to 2, and it will require 2 coins to add a credit. It's not fancy, but I think it will get you what you need. I'll work on putting the "real" implementation down in the base settings. To slochar 's point, this functionality should be solid and consistent, so I'll probably add it right after the audits in the settings. For now, you should be able to get away with just changing this define and re-uploading.

#322 2 years ago

Hi folks,

my first post here on pinside. I recently came across this awesome project. Noticed that all my other pins have this neat feature to play some random sounds during attract mode. Also the original Metoer code did not have this feature. I added this now to the Meteor2021 code. Thanks to DickHamill who gave me write access to github. Pushed the code yesterday. So when you update, there will be a Setting 23 you can set to 1 for enabling attract mode sound effects (approx every 5 1/2 minutes)

#323 2 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Forgive me, I forgot - a simple implementation of this was already done last year. If you look near the top of Meteor2021.ino, you'll see this line:
#define COINS_PER_CREDIT 1
Simply change that to 2, and it will require 2 coins to add a credit. It's not fancy, but I think it will get you what you need. I'll work on putting the "real" implementation down in the base settings. To slochar 's point, this functionality should be solid and consistent, so I'll probably add it right after the audits in the settings. For now, you should be able to get away with just changing this define and re-uploading.

This is exactly what I needed. It's within my coding skills. Thanks. I'll try it.

#324 2 years ago

DickHamill - this evening, I finally got around to setting up my recording rig to capture some gameplay on my Meteor with your 2021 code. I'm going to keep it set up for a week or so and see if I can get a recording of my high game or better (currently 5,480,000). I got to 2,460,000 in a couple of tries tonight.

Recording Rig (resized).jpgRecording Rig (resized).jpg

#325 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

DickHamill - this evening, I finally got around to setting up my recording rig to capture some gameplay on my Meteor with your 2021 code. I'm going to keep it set up for a week or so and see if I can get a recording of my high game or better (currently 5,480,000). I got to 2,460,000 in a couple of tries tonight.
[quoted image]

That's a great video - thanks so much for posting it. You came so close to maxing out the bonus at one point. I was on the edge of my seat, waiting to see the
animation. It feels like forever since I played Meteor. I can't remember when it was last here--must have been in 2021, but if feels like longer than that.

You've done a tremendous job restoring that unit.

#326 2 years ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

Ok if anyone is interested in a resample of the "Wizard Mode, complete drop targets....." and "Mission Success, Orpheus Defeated" callouts without the star wars theme songs. I used a song from the Meteor sound track that seemed appropriate enough for the situation.
https://voca.ro/183VWpKGsrQa
https://voca.ro/1bRUljUC1Nmg

I downloaded, converted, and put these on my WAV trigger board's memory card last night - TERRIFIC work! Thanks for making these!

#327 2 years ago

Love it! The video looks great and your machine is beautiful. I’m planning to set up my rig and capture some 2021 Meteor too. I messed around with the sounds on mine. I bumper up the music volume and lowered the switch sound effects. I also replaced some of the music. I’ll post it here since I do.

Quoted from Mathazar:

[quoted image]

#328 2 years ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

Love it! The video looks great and your machine is beautiful. I’m planning to set up my rig and capture some 2021 Meteor too. I messed around with the sounds on mine. I bumper up the music volume and lowered the switch sound effects. I also replaced some of the music. I’ll post it here since I do.

I would love to hear the rework if you feel comfortable posting the files.

Quoted from cooperscooter:

I downloaded, converted, and put these on my WAV trigger board's memory card last night - TERRIFIC work! Thanks for making these!

haha thanks, glad someone got some use out of it. I had a blast recording it.

#329 2 years ago

I gave reworking the audio levels a shot myself. Ill test it out sometime this week and report back.

#330 2 years ago

Finally got around to making a "Rule Card" summary. I wanted to wait until after i had some playtime and a better understanding of whats going. Ill post pics so you can print it yourself when i get it formatted and the logo made. Please feel free to make any corrections if you see any mistakes.

Rules Card v2:

Skill Shot: Hit a Star Rollover or METEOR target. Super Skill at lite METEOR target.

Spinner: Each METEOR drop target increases spinner value. Super Spinner at 99 Spins.

Meteor Storm: Complete set of METEOR drop targets to start Meteor Storm. Destroy incoming
Meteors to enter Orpheus Strike. Hit lite METEOR targets to complete Orpheus Strike. Hitting
unlite METEOR target will start Orpheus Fragmented. Hit roving METEOR targets to complete.

Bonus: Hit 1,2,3 Targets to raise rocket value. Collect at end of ball. Complete METEOR bank to raise Bonus “X”. Bonus “X” carry over except on “6x” or “7x”.

Extra Ball: Earn extra ball from lite “WOW” shot when all rockets on same value (Except 7000). Earn Extra Ball from hurry up at center target with 2 quick hits.

Wizard Mode: Complete Super Spinner, Orpheus Strike + Fragmented, Max Bonus on all rockets.

#332 2 years ago

Still working out the kinks

054BEDA9-BE29-4A7A-BB7E-4AAF2571D632 (resized).jpeg054BEDA9-BE29-4A7A-BB7E-4AAF2571D632 (resized).jpeg
#333 2 years ago

Done. Thoughts or input?

Meteor_V2_Rules.pngMeteor_V2_Rules.pngMeteor_V2_FreePlay.pngMeteor_V2_FreePlay.png

#334 2 years ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

Done. Thoughts or input?
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great to me! Great work - thanks!

#335 2 years ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

Thoughts or input?

I might download these and add some graphics…

#336 2 years ago

Meteor_V2_FreePlay2 (resized).pngMeteor_V2_FreePlay2 (resized).png

Meteor_V2_FreePlay3 (resized).pngMeteor_V2_FreePlay3 (resized).png
#338 2 years ago

Is there something to the effect of the divide by 10 rom available for the original game available for meteor 2021? Im being cheap and dont want to upgrade to 7 digit displays. The scrolling score is nice but lowering the scores by a factor of 10 would be a nice option as well.

#339 2 years ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

Is there something to the effect of the divide by 10 rom available for the original game available for meteor 2021? Im being cheap and dont want to upgrade to 7 digit displays. The scrolling score is nice but lowering the scores by a factor of 10 would be a nice option as well.

You could just edit the point values in the code. It would be a pretty easy update.

#340 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

You could just edit the point values in the code. It would be a pretty easy update.

Is there a place in the code where all the points values are defined or are they scattered about?

#341 2 years ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

Is there a place in the code where all the points values are defined or are they scattered about?

Scoring is not collected in one place. Some of the big payouts are defined near the top of the file, but there are other score additions down in "RunGamePlayMode". The easiest way to find score additions is to search on "CurrentScoreOfCurrentPlayer" and then look for things like:
CurrentScoreOfCurrentPlayer += 50000;

#342 2 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-the-m6800-in-a-stern-mpu100-with-an-arduino/page/4#post-6267536
Basically you'll need to build a mixer circuit and then inject that into the stock amplifier.
Get a 3.5mm TRS male connector for the WAVTrigger board.
From the tip, in series, connect first a 1kilohm resistor and then the positive lead of a 10 microfarad electrolytic capacitor. Voltage unimportant, any cheap 16V one will be fine.
Repeat this for the ring of the connector.
Now, solder the negative leads of the two capacitors together and connect a length of wire with a test clip on it.
Connect that test clip to the SB-300 at the common point of C14 and R23.
If you are using Rev 2 of the arduino board, you'll need to pull off the cables that connect the SB-300 to the MPU. Shouldn't be a problem to leave them connected if you have the Rev 3 board, or so I've been told.

I built this circuit to use the stock speaker and I have a Rev3 roygbev board. Can someone help clarify where exactly I clip this onto to the sound board? Right now i have it clipped to the left leg of c14 in this picture. The sounds works but im not sure if that is correct.
64C67CF2-7DDE-44F0-B965-72BF4B82A935 (resized).jpeg64C67CF2-7DDE-44F0-B965-72BF4B82A935 (resized).jpeg

Added over 2 years ago:

EDIT: After some testing Im now using the right leg of r23 in the picture above. Played for about 6 hours today and the sound is working and nothing blew up.

#343 2 years ago

Does anyone know the answer to my previous question? I’m going to be able to get a few games of meteor in tomorrow night and don’t want to blow anything up if I have the speaker hooked in wrong.

#344 2 years ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

Does anyone know the answer to my previous question? I’m going to be able to get a few games of meteor in tomorrow night and don’t want to blow anything up if I have the speaker hooked in wrong.

Until you get an answer do you have any extra amplified speakers? I just set a sound bar on top of mine

#345 2 years ago

I initially borrowed a soundbar for overall testing but I gave it back after I built the audio mixer circuit.

#346 2 years ago

Meteor with new code at Louisville arcade expo.
Grandson helped for setup last night.
Fun times.
I'll try and get some video up later today.
New code new amp 6 speakers and sub...it sounded awesome
after setup.

20220310_172511 (resized).jpg20220310_172511 (resized).jpg
#347 2 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Fun times.
after setup.
[quoted image]

Nice! Do you have a sign that says its new code? Mine was a hit at the Rocky Mountain show.

#348 2 years ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

Nice! Do you have a sign that says its new code? Mine was a hit at the Rocky Mountain show.

No . No sign but it got a decent amount of play.
I walk by it a lot making sure there are no problems.

#349 2 years ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

I built this circuit to use the stock speaker and I have a Rev3 roygbev board. Can someone help clarify where exactly I clip this onto to the sound board? Right now i have it clipped to the left leg of c14 in this picture. The sounds works but im not sure if that is correct.
[quoted image]

Added yesterday: EDIT: After some testing Im now using the right leg of r23 in the picture above. Played for about 6 hours today and the sound is working and nothing blew up.

I've heard of this solution, but I've never tried it on an SB300. How does it sound?

#350 2 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Fun times.
after setup.
[quoted image]

Awesome - I look forward to video if you grab any.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 199.95
$ 10.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 649 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-2021-new-code-for-stern-meteor-1979/page/7?hl=xdetroit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.