(Topic ID: 289487)

Meteor 2021 - new code for Stern Meteor (1979)

By DickHamill

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 649 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by DickHamill
  • Topic is favorited by 115 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0957 - ANNOTATED (resized).jpg
IMG_0956 - ANNOTATED (resized).jpg
IMG_7769 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0663 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2445 (resized).jpg
IMG_2444 (resized).jpg
IMG_5196 (resized).jpg
IMG_5188 (resized).jpg
20230731_220626 (resized).jpg
20230731_220626 (resized).jpg
IMG_4380 (resized).jpg
IMG_4379 (resized).jpg
IMG_4378 (resized).jpg
IMG_0960 (resized).jpg
BaseRollover (resized).jpeg
20230424_194610 (resized).jpg
There are 649 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I see how you are using the interrupts but how are you using the clock signal within the Arduino code?

In the Read/Write functions for the PIAs, there are spots where I have to wait for a rising/falling edge before I can set control lines or read data lines, etc.
What's the scoped speed of your Alltek with the jumpers for MPU200?

Actually it must have been a bad connection since I was able to run the switch test and get the game code to run ok

Am I understanding that the code runs on your Alltek but on none of the MPU200s?

#52 3 years ago

I had some time at lunch and cleaned up the test results:

MPU-200 #1 - Actual clock speed measured with scope 837khz (Reported clock speed 826khz, Display 398.92)
Code seems to run ok on this with the updated loop settings. Haven't tried to dial them back down

MPU-200 #2 - Actual clock speed measured with scope 812khz (Reported clock speed 658khz, Display 339.13)
Code totally freaks out with the higher loop settings. Haven't tried to dial them back down

MPU-200 #3 - Actual clock speed measured with scope 865khz (Reported clock speed 551khz, Display 424.12)
Code seems to run ok on this with the updated loop settings. Haven't tried to dial them back down
Got some odd switch readings with this board for some reason.

Alltek @ 100 - Actual clock speed measured with scope 558khz (Reported clock speed 531khz, Display was 0 and probably need to reseat and rerun test.)

Alltek @ 200 - Actual clock speed measured with scope 891khz (Reported clock speed 524khz, Display 430.31)

At the moment it looks like it runs on one of the MPU-200 boards and the Alltek. While the other boards boot fine on the bench and board #2 had been working in a machine I think I need to take a closer look at board #2 and also why the odd switch readings on #3.

I may swap out the 100pf caps for the clock on the two slower boards to see if that brings up the clock speed and helps.

#53 3 years ago

At the moment it looks like it runs on one of the MPU-200 boards and the Alltek.

Thanks for all your detailed work on this!
Can you give me a little more detail on "odd switch readings"? bluebomber worked through some strange switch readings issues in the past. We may have a couple of things to try.

On board number 2, can you verify that pin 34 on J5 is making good contact? The SB-300 can work without it, but this Arduino board cannot. Other pins that the Arduino needs (that the SB-300 doesn't use) are:
J5:pin 19 (A3)
J5:pin 18 (A4)
So, if any of those three pins on J5 are flaky (18, 19, 34) you won't see any issues on the SB-300, but you will have problems with the Arduino.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Thanks for all your detailed work on this!
Can you give me a little more detail on "odd switch readings"? bluebomber worked through some strange switch readings issues in the past. We may have a couple of things to try.
On board number 2, can you verify that pin 34 on J5 is making good contact? The SB-300 can work without it, but this Arduino board cannot. Other pins that the Arduino needs (that the SB-300 doesn't use) are:
J5:pin 19 (A3)
J5:pin 18 (A4)
So, if any of those three pins on J5 are flaky (18, 19, 34) you won't see any issues on the SB-300, but you will have problems with the Arduino.

I will check those pins. In regards to the connections I believe that while many of the MPU-200 boards have a cable on the pins that able makes contact on the front/back of the pin while most of the connectors used for the upgrade modules make contact on the sides of the pin.

That shouldn't be a problem on the board that is acting flaky and the connectors all look perfect but I'm not going to make any assumptions and will test again.

I have the serial logs saved and can message those if you want to take a look.

#55 3 years ago

I just ran the Arduino with the Meteor code on a Bally -35 board and it seems fine. Still trying to figure out what it issue is on that #2 MPU-200 board. Swapped out the 100pf caps. No change. Tried a different 9602 chip. No change. Even swapped out the 68B00 chip that was in there with a different brand 6800 in case it was having issues being halted. Reflowed the solder on the header and as far as I can tell each has good continuity with the adapter plugged in. Haven't tried swapping the 74LS125 on the adapter board with a 74125 to see if that helps. Definitely something odd going on with this MPU-200. Without the Arduino on it the board boots and seem to run fine. Will need to do more digging.

#56 3 years ago

I just ran the Arduino with the Meteor code on a Bally -35 board and it seems fine. Still trying to figure out what it issue is on that #2 MPU-200 board. Swapped out the 100pf caps. No change. Tried a different 9602 chip. No change. Even swapped out the 68B00 chip that was in there with a different brand 6800 in case it was having issues being halted. Reflowed the solder on the header and as far as I can tell each has good continuity with the adapter plugged in. Haven't tried swapping the 74LS125 on the adapter board with a 74125 to see if that helps. Definitely something odd going on with this MPU-200. Without the Arduino on it the board boots and seem to run fine. Will need to do more digging.

Great info from the log files - thanks for sending them over.
I have an idea, and I constructed a test to see if it has anything to do with the difference between the boards.
In this new test, I've removed the dependence on the MPU clock for the switch charge / discharge timing. My idea is that if it's having a problem measuring the clock on those boards, then maybe it's having a problem timing out the delays too.
So, instead of using the MPU clock for that, I use the onboard timer of the Arduino. In the past I didn't use that for other reasons, but I think those other concerns have gone away.
Anyway, if you could grab SwitchDiagnostics again from GitHub (https://github.com/BallySternOS/BallySternOS/tree/master/SwitchDiagnostics) and run it again, we might see different results.
At the very least, the new version might be a little better at judging the MPU clock (since I simplified that loop).

Please give it a try and let me know if you get different results. If this method works better, I'll port these updates into the main library.

Thank you.

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

Roy's board is a breeze to assemble, especially if you buy the nano that already has pins. My soldering skillz are about a 6/10 and it was easy even for me!

That's funny that you'd think I wasn't confident soldering! It's actually the downloading of info and getting it all working in sync. I still have a pin buddy I can ask. It just amazes me because I'd pay $200 for one and it sounds like parts are $20 or so. I've just never had to beg to find someone to take my money

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

beg to find someone to take my money

I totally understand that!
For me, it's about intention. I never wanted anyone to misconstrue my efforts here. I'm not trying to make any money - I just enjoy getting more out of these machines and I like to share my work. This community is full of people who contribute by helping each other at every turn, and this is my way to pay that back a little.
And I also don't want to be on the hook forever if I decide that supporting these boards is no longer interesting. If I sold something, I would feel responsible to support it for as long as it was in use, and these machines might be around for another 40 years (and I won't!).
Because of those reasons, I've tried to document everything, published everything open source, and I'm not selling anything.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Great info from the log files - thanks for sending them over.
I have an idea, and I constructed a test to see if it has anything to do with the difference between the boards.
In this new test, I've removed the dependence on the MPU clock for the switch charge / discharge timing. My idea is that if it's having a problem measuring the clock on those boards, then maybe it's having a problem timing out the delays too.
So, instead of using the MPU clock for that, I use the onboard timer of the Arduino. In the past I didn't use that for other reasons, but I think those other concerns have gone away.
Anyway, if you could grab SwitchDiagnostics again from GitHub (https://github.com/BallySternOS/BallySternOS/tree/master/SwitchDiagnostics) and run it again, we might see different results.
At the very least, the new version might be a little better at judging the MPU clock (since I simplified that loop).
Please give it a try and let me know if you get different results. If this method works better, I'll port these updates into the main library.
Thank you.

Let me get this downloaded and I'll run it again on all the boards tested. I'll be glad to contribute where I can. Also I think this will help identify MPU boards that could use further fixes to make sure they are 100%

#60 3 years ago

Let me get this downloaded and I'll run it again on all the boards tested. I'll be glad to contribute where I can. Also I think this will help identify MPU boards that could use further fixes to make sure they are 100%

Hopefully it will help me solidify the library a bit too. I'm pushing these MPUs harder than the original developers were, so it does seem to expose faults now and then.
I look forward to hearing if the new diagnostics improves things at all.

#61 3 years ago

Tests running now...

76D2DFBF-7022-4F92-B072-DE63C7330A4A (resized).jpeg76D2DFBF-7022-4F92-B072-DE63C7330A4A (resized).jpeg

78114DA2-40D2-43CB-978D-448FA70CEA0B (resized).jpeg78114DA2-40D2-43CB-978D-448FA70CEA0B (resized).jpeg
#62 3 years ago

Taking a small pause as I re-pin the .100" connectors on the top of the tester. I knew I was going to need to and one pin broke during testing. Going to resume after those are done.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

I totally understand that!
For me, it's about intention. I never wanted anyone to misconstrue my efforts here. I'm not trying to make any money - I just enjoy getting more out of these machines and I like to share my work. This community is full of people who contribute by helping each other at every turn, and this is my way to pay that back a little.
And I also don't want to be on the hook forever if I decide that supporting these boards is no longer interesting. If I sold something, I would feel responsible to support it for as long as it was in use, and these machines might be around for another 40 years (and I won't!).
Because of those reasons, I've tried to document everything, published everything open source, and I'm not selling anything.

Don't get me wrong. I say that with zero hostility towards anyone. I appreciate that you've done this. I'll find someone, I'm patient

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

That's funny that you'd think I wasn't confident soldering! It's actually the downloading of info and getting it all working in sync. I still have a pin buddy I can ask. It just amazes me because I'd pay $200 for one and it sounds like parts are $20 or so. I've just never had to beg to find someone to take my money

The issue with something like this is support, if someone assembles the board and get it running and the buyer has issues getting it to work in their machine the assembler is on the hook for support. Not something I'd want to deal with.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

Don't get me wrong. I say that with zero hostility towards anyone. I appreciate that you've done this. I'll find someone, I'm patient

Cool!

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

It just amazes me because I'd pay $200 for one and it sounds like parts are $20 or so. I've just never had to beg to find someone to take my money

Check out your local hackerspace:
https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/California

I'm sure you can find someone there to take it on.... show up with the boards and you'd be good to go. From the past projects and current ones though, it seems like there's going to be tweaks needed so you're going to have to learn to update the arduino code at a minimum.

#67 3 years ago

We bought a Meteor a few months ago and I have been planning to upgrade or update it somehow. I was amazed to come across this work you have done on new code and hardware. I have an electronics background so ordered the parts I don't already have and will build this and install it in our game. Keep up the good work, and I will update this forum when I get this installed.

#68 3 years ago

DickHamill I am curious what speakers you recommend? I assume they need to be powered but is there any other suggestions? I can add a switched power outlet to power them. But, I can imagine the old paper speaker build in will handle new sounds.
TiA

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

DickHamill I am curious what speakers you recommend? I assume they need to be powered but is there any other suggestions? I can add a switched power outlet to power them. But, I can imagine the old paper speaker build in will handle new sounds.
TiA

On Stars, I put an old set of computer speakers (with sub) inside the cabinet and aimed them through the vent at the base of the head. That thing sounds amazing.

For other machines, I've put a cheap sound bar on top of the head. I found a 30" sound bar for $50 (Walmart, maybe?) and bought a couple. These sound pretty good--on top of the head looks & sounds good. You get a good stereo effect.
However!
The problem with these sound bars is that they shut off after a few seconds of no signal and take several seconds to wake back up. So when you start a game, the audio doesn't start for several seconds. That sucks.

So, the best answer I have is to try to find some decent computer speakers. I would like to find a good sound bar approach, but the ones I have aren't perfect.

#70 3 years ago

Got the board built and received the Wav trigger today. Now to move onto loading software....

DE61E8C4-0E2E-4C50-A61C-250125E5855D (resized).jpegDE61E8C4-0E2E-4C50-A61C-250125E5855D (resized).jpeg

#71 3 years ago

I'm totally new to this arduino stuff so I'm sure I'm doing something simple, wrong.

When I tried to upload the sketch of the nine files I get this error:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I downloaded the BallySternOS.cpp and .h from the library files.

I solved this by re-copying the BSOS_Config.h from the Meteor2021 zip file. Posting anyway in case others run into this issue.

#72 3 years ago

Plugged it in and got this:

No attract mode yet but seems like progress is being made.

After being on this for a few seconds it goes to all 10000 on the player scores and then to 00 on everything.

No reaction to start, coin or service switches.

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

[quoted image]
After being on this for a few seconds it goes to all 10000 on the player scores and then to 00 on everything.

What board is in your machine? Is it an original MPU-200? There seem to be some odd timing issues with the MPU-200 that I’m trying to help resolve.

Seems to run without issues on an Alltek or if you happen to have an old Bally -35 board it should run on there too.

I have three working MPU-200 boards I’ve been testing with and have an access to a 4th which is still in my Meteor.

#74 3 years ago

[quoted image]

The lack of lights/switches suggests that it's not seeing the interrupt signal from the MPU. That's supposed to come to the board on J5:pin34 (for a -200 or an Alltek).

There is a standalone sketch that comes in a BallySternOS folder called MachineDiagnostics.ino
If run with a laptop plugged in (and the serial monitor open Arduino>Tools>Serial Monitor)
it will tell you if it sees the interrupt line.

#75 3 years ago

It is the original MPU-200

My understanding is with the -200 I do not need the IRQ jumper, correct?

When the jumper is disconnected I get nothing, when the jumper is connected is when I get what is seen above BUT when that is connected the game will not boot to original with the J3 jumper removed.

I'll try the burning the machine diagnostic and see if that tells us anything.

#76 3 years ago

It is the original MPU-200
My understanding is with the -200 I do not need the IRQ jumper, correct?
When the jumper is disconnected I get nothing, when the jumper is connected is when I get what is seen above BUT when that is connected the game will not boot to original with the J3 jumper removed.
I'll try the burning the machine diagnostic and see if that tells us anything.

Yes - with the -200 board, the IRQ will be pulled from pin 34, assuming you have a 34-pin header on the bottom. From your picture above, it looks like you do, so you don't need that white wire with the probe that you have in the photo.

Since you're not seeing lights or switches, I would verify that you have continuity between pin 37 & 38 of either PIA IC (U10 or U11), and the Arduino's pin labelled D2 (5th from the bottom left of your Arduino). Since the SB-300 didn't use the IRQ line, it's possible that it's not making good contact through J5. So, double checking that IRQ continuity is a good idea.

If your machine won't boot to the original code with the jumper on J3 off, it suggests that the Arduino or the 74125 are corrupting the bus lines. To figure out which is the culprit, you should pull the Arduino and the jumper off of J3 (as well as the IRQ white wire) and see if it will boot without the Arduino. If it does, I would start ringing out connections to see if you have a solder bridge or open on one of the control lines.

In your picture, you don't show anything on 5V/Vin header. I don't have one of Roy's boards in front of me, but I think you need a jumper in one of those positions to power the Arduino. This is a refinement that Roy made to allow the operator to choose whether to use the Arduino's power conditioning or not, I believe.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

In your picture, you don't show anything on 5V/Vin header. I don't have one of Roy's boards in front of me, but I think you need a jumper in one of those positions to power the Arduino. This is a refinement that Roy made to allow the operator to choose whether to use the Arduino's power conditioning or not, I believe.

I have Roys board and put the jumper from the center to the 5V so you'll definitely want to try that if you haven't installed one.

#78 3 years ago

I'll check the Vin, the Arduino has power... (leds lit)

To clarify the IRQ jumper description. When the jumper is Not connected the Arduino does nothing but the original game will boot with J3 off. When the IRQ jumper Is connected the display will show "2021" as seen in the photo but the original game will Not boot.

I'll double check the connectivity of the IRQ line as suggested.

Thank you.

#79 3 years ago

I'll check the Vin, the Arduino has power... (leds lit)

Even without a connection to VIN or 5V, many Arduinos (Elegoo, for example) will phantom power through the other IO pins.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Even without a connection to VIN or 5V, many Arduinos (Elegoo, for example) will phantom power through the other IO pins.

Ah, makes sense!

#81 3 years ago

Its working!

28B3011C-7A8C-4B4B-8B6E-9D7312F06326 (resized).jpeg28B3011C-7A8C-4B4B-8B6E-9D7312F06326 (resized).jpeg

It was just the 5v jumper.

Now to move onto the wav trigger.

#82 3 years ago

Congrats!

#83 3 years ago

The notes mention the 10K resistor is either 1/2W or 1/4W but looks to be an 1/8W included in the kit. Any of those would work fine so maybe the notes could use a quick update to mention that.

Looks like a 1/8W to me too. I ordered 1/4W and the packaging says 1/4W but I guess they could have made a mistake. Thanks for the mention.

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

Looks like a 1/8W to me too. I ordered 1/4W and the packaging says 1/4W but I guess they could have made a mistake. Thanks for the mention.

I suppose it actually could be since some of the resistors have gotten smaller. I've ordered some 1/2 watt resistors that looked more like 1/4 watt.

For the value and where it is used actually any wattage 1/8 or larger should be ok. I onlt mentioned it since I am used to proof reading assembly docs as I use them. Just updating it to add a note to install the 10K resistor (without calling out the wattage) and just list in the parts section that it is a 10K but may be supplied with 1/8 or 1/4 watt and either is fine.

I need at least one more set so will probably put in order with you shortly.

#85 3 years ago

Its possible its one of the new(ish) 'mini' resistors.

I ordered some recently for a kit project I was doing and got 1/4 watt mini resistors that looked like 1/8 watt.

1 week later
#86 3 years ago

Looking at the Nano it appears there are still two unused I/O pins. Looks like A6 and A7 are open. If those are not reserved for anything else it would be nice to keep those open as generic I/O pins. Either as Analog or digital inputs/outputs.

#87 3 years ago

Looks like A6 and A7 are open.

A6 and A7 can only be used as analog inputs.

1 week later
#88 3 years ago

Do any of you have a closeup of the wav trigger install? Is it intended to solder directly to the RoyGBev board pins?

Also, are the sound files intended to be simply copied to the flash, retaining the entire file names?

TIA

#89 3 years ago

I've been playing the new code, its so much fun.

Thanks again DickHamill !!

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from keith20mm:

Do any of you have a closeup of the wav trigger install? Is it intended to solder directly to the RoyGBev board pins?
Also, are the sound files intended to be simply copied to the flash, retaining the entire file names?
TIA

Typically you would use a short 6-pin cable straight through to connect on the header pins on each. I soldered 6-pin headers to both boards.

Before using it there are several steps and you’ll want a to get one of the USB adapters for updating the firmware on the wav trigger.

These steps just need to be done once to update the wav trigger
- solder 6-pin header to wav trigger
- download v1.30 firmware and update utility
- set the slide switch on the wav trigger to the load position
- connect your desktop computer to the wav trigger using a usb cable and the adapter to the 6-pin header you installed above
- connect an external power supply to the wav trigger
- run the wav trigger flash utility.

Once the new firmware is on the wav trigger you can disconnect everything.

- you need to solder bridge two pads to allow the wav trigger to be powered through the 6-pin connection so it will get power from the RoyGBev board. If this is done earlier you may it need the extra power adapter to program the new firmware but it’s safer for dedicated power for that part.

All the actual sound files are stored on a microSD card and plugged into the wav trigger. You load the files using your computer and copy to that card.

- get a microSD card 2gb or larger and just copy all the sound files to the root directory on the card.

From the docs the only part that matters is the first three digits as it used that to identify what sound number to play. The rest of the name is more like a comment and is ignored.

After that just plug the wav trigger in with the 6-pin cable and the audio jack

#91 3 years ago

Typically you would use a short 6-pin cable straight through to connect on the header pins on each. I soldered 6-pin headers to both boards.
Before using it there are several steps and you’ll want a to get one of the USB adapters for updating the firmware on the wav trigger.
These steps just need to be done once to update the wav trigger
- solder 6-pin header to wav trigger
- download v1.30 firmware and update utility
- set the slide switch on the wav trigger to the load position
- connect your desktop computer to the wav trigger using a usb cable and the adapter to the 6-pin header you installed above
- connect an external power supply to the wav trigger
- run the wav trigger flash utility.
Once the new firmware is on the wav trigger you can disconnect everything.
- you need to solder bridge two pads to allow the wav trigger to be powered through the 6-pin connection so it will get power from the RoyGBev board. If this is done earlier you may it need the extra power adapter to program the new firmware but it’s safer for dedicated power for that part.
All the actual sound files are stored on a microSD card and plugged into the wav trigger. You load the files using your computer and copy to that card.
- get a microSD card 2gb or larger and just copy all the sound files to the root directory on the card.
From the docs the only part that matters is the first three digits as it used that to identify what sound number to play. The rest of the name is more like a comment and is ignored.
After that just plug the wav trigger in with the 6-pin cable and the audio jack

Great instructions!

#92 3 years ago

You're welcome to use it on the Github pages for the project if you think it will help others!

So far the Meteor code is running solid on an old Bally -35 board and also on an Alltek. Still need to go back and see what is going on with those MPU-200 boards. Once that is resolved will finally get a chance to run it on the actual Meteor.

I've been running it on my simulator and now have a whole new control panel and the new switch matrix checks out.

This is a really cool project and once I get a chance to get more into the code I would like to use it as the base for a couple other games.

#93 3 years ago

Upon inspection of the machine at hand, I find that it actually has present NVRAM.WEEBLY.COM replacement board. The J5 connector appears as in https://ballysternos.github.io/install.html

this photo: https://github.com/BallySternOS/BallySternOS/blob/master/images/IMG_2572.jpeg?raw=true

J5 us connected to the Stern sound board. My question is "for the wave trigger board, does it parallel the pins as the Stern sound board appears to just take off the pin row.", or rather, may there be a closeup of this given photo, with the cables lifted up?"

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from keith20mm:

Upon inspection of the machine at hand, I find that it actually has present NVRAM.WEEBLY.COM replacement board. The J5 connector appears as in https://ballysternos.github.io/install.html
this photo: https://github.com/BallySternOS/BallySternOS/blob/master/images/IMG_2572.jpeg?raw=true
J5 us connected to the Stern sound board. My question is "for the wave trigger board, does it parallel the pins as the Stern sound board appears to just take off the pin row.", or rather, may there be a closeup of this given photo, with the cables lifted up?"

I don't know of anyone running on a Weebly board. barakandl had some guidance, but I've never attempted it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stars-2020-new-code-for-stern-stars-1978/page/2#post-5661845

"If a12 is grounded through the j5 connector then the 'j-(a8-a15)' jumper out and 'j-a12' in in case the 74HCT32 output used to keep the sb300/SB100 out of the expanded nvram space has contention trying to drive the forced to ground a12 on the nvram.weebly replacement. Might damage the chip."

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from keith20mm:

In general (again, I don't know if Weebly will work), you would solder a Female (34-pin) header to the bottom of Roy's board and a M (32 or 34-pin, doesn't matter--the SB-300 only uses the right-most 32 pins) to the top of Roy's board. That second (M) header is just to pass through signals to the SB-300 if you're running the old code.

The Wav Trigger is a 6-pin cable hooked up to what Roy calls J7.
You can see a picture of my Meteor install in my doc here:
https://ballysternos.github.io/install.html
(this is the pic -- https://github.com/BallySternOS/BallySternOS/blob/master/images/IMG_2572.jpeg?raw=true )

#96 3 years ago

I've been playing the new code, its so much fun.
Thanks again DickHamill !!

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!
Videos are always appreciated. I like to see the strategies that people are using and how far they get through the goals.
I want to spot any exploits for unintended points.

#97 3 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!
Videos are always appreciated. I like to see the strategies that people are using and how far they get through the goals.
I want to spot any exploits for unintended points.

I've been wanting to get a video of it, I wanted to get somewhat decent first. Its funny I remember hitting that stand-up target ALL the time on the original code now it's almost impossible to hit when I need to fire the rockets. lol. Its amazing how different it makes it.

I still need to wire in the switch so I can select from new and old code.

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

If your machine won't boot to the original code with the jumper on J3 off, it suggests that the Arduino or the 74125 are corrupting the bus lines. To figure out which is the culprit, you should pull the Arduino and the jumper off of J3 (as well as the IRQ white wire) and see if it will boot without the Arduino. If it does, I would start ringing out connections to see if you have a solder bridge or open on one of the control lines.

DickHamill I am installing the J5 adapter and Bally/Stern OS on our Meteor and today I got the whole thing soldered together, got the code written to the Arduino. All that has gone fine, I double checked for solder bridges and bad connections before I installed the adapter onto the J5 port of my Meteor. When I pulled off the SB-300 ribbon cables that were in the J5 slot (MPU200) I noticed that the last two pins (33 and 34) were removed from the header. So, I put those in and checked the others while I was at it. Then I installed the adapter to the J5 board, left the SB connections off for the moment and didn't connect the WavTrigger yet. I did what others in this thread have done and forgot the second jumper so only the GI lit when I first booted. Then I realized my mistake turned it off and put the jumper on and it booted to a different attract mode, but nothing more. No random firings or anything on the displays. I tried removing the adapter and it now won't boot into the old code either.

I am thinking those missing pins may have been removed to bypass a short or something, or maybe there is another issue on my PCB (the RoyGBiv one) but reading through this thread the above quote was the only one that sounded like my issue. I did see another person had problems with MPU200 boards, but a game that functioned fine before now won't boot with or without the adapter. I very well may have messed something up, or the old game I am shopping was hanging on by a thread and all the work has knocked something loose. Anyway, do you have any ideas or suggestions what I could try, or what I may need to fix?

Thanks for all you have done to make this a possiblility.

#99 3 years ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

DickHamill I am installing the J5 adapter and Bally/Stern OS on our Meteor and today I got the whole thing soldered together, got the code written to the Arduino. All that has gone fine, I double checked for solder bridges and bad connections before I installed the adapter onto the J5 port of my Meteor. When I pulled off the SB-300 ribbon cables that were in the J5 slot (MPU200) I noticed that the last two pins (33 and 34) were removed from the header. So, I put those in and checked the others while I was at it. Then I installed the adapter to the J5 board, left the SB connections off for the moment and didn't connect the WavTrigger yet. I did what others in this thread have done and forgot the second jumper so only the GI lit when I first booted. Then I realized my mistake turned it off and put the jumper on and it booted to a different attract mode, but nothing more. No random firings or anything on the displays. I tried removing the adapter and it now won't boot into the old code either.
I am thinking those missing pins may have been removed to bypass a short or something, or maybe there is another issue on my PCB (the RoyGBiv one) but reading through this thread the above quote was the only one that sounded like my issue. I did see another person had problems with MPU200 boards, but a game that functioned fine before now won't boot with or without the adapter. I very well may have messed something up, or the old game I am shopping was hanging on by a thread and all the work has knocked something loose. Anyway, do you have any ideas or suggestions what I could try, or what I may need to fix?

Wow - sorry to hear that your game won't boot. What exactly is it doing? Are you seeing any flashes from the MPU's LED?
I get what you're saying about 33 & 34 being removed possibly because of a short. They may have also been removed because they're not needed for the SB-300 and people sometimes plug in the SB-300 all the way to the left, making the game hang. Who knows, I guess.

The Arduino booting to attract without displays is not something I've seen.
I suppose I would start with the normal steps of trying to diagnose an MPU that won't boot, maybe starting with the step of checking for shorts between 32 & 33, and 33 & 34 of J5.
Hopefully, it's something easily fixed!

#100 3 years ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

Can you post pictures of the boards and of the connector? You shouldn't need to pull out any pins on the Stern MPU-200 board. Can you confirm that you are running an MPU-200?

I've built a couple of the RoyGBiv adapters and both were fine. Have the Meteor code running solid on an Alltek and on a Bally -35 MPU. So far I've had issues on 4 different MPU-200 boards. All those boards run fine on the bench and in the game without the Arduino. Going to send off one of those boards to help isolate the issue which hopefully will help everyone running an MPU-200 board.

If your game won't boot without the adapter I would suspect your ribbon cables going to the original sound board. If they are off a pin, swapped, reversed, etc the game won't boot. Those cables are easily put back on wrong. Lots of people have done it. I've taken good pictures of mine and the cables are marked.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 169.00
Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 3.00
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

There are 649 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-2021-new-code-for-stern-meteor-1979/page/2?hl=beebl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.