(Topic ID: 237072)

Metallica Which to buy Premium or Pro?

By MrPaint

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AJFA.jpg
    lyin.gif
    872T59Bh (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider colonel_caverne.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#66 3 years ago

I put a coin again
    I miss this game. Had a pro and on the fence between pro or premium now.
    I read that snake gets a different behavior between pro and premium. What did it do on prem? Thanks

#68 3 years ago

Ok. Is there known issue with this mech?

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from gecko157:

Go with the pro. The flow is so much better on the pro. You can mod it to add more lights. Go back and read the old Metallica owners thread, the hammer is a problem.

I had a pro and modded it with the lightshow from Timebandit. It is badass. Sure I would do the same if I should go again with pro.
    Don’t know If I can add the cross rising and the spinner on the pro.
    Now I can find premium around 6k and my only hesitation I have is about the hammer. I assume all mechs on prem are reliable, but I would like to know if it affects the view in a very disturbing way

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Switch that detects the ball in the mouth can be flaky. When it starts to wear out, it will sometimes bounce/actuate just long enough to fire the kicker but not award the shot. I've had to replace mine twice in home use. Might be the same switch as the pro, so maybe it's not a premium-specific issue. I only know my experience with it.

I never had any issue with my pro with this mech.

#85 3 years ago

The lock is only the magnet that catch the ball (and then the hammer)? No missed in catching the ball?

However, Timebandit or redshiftled doesn’t seem to be active anymore, nothing is in stock (lightshow kit) and doesn’t answer to mail. Hope he is fine.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from gecko157:

Guess you haven’t played both or you just like to disagree with people. The pro is less stop and go compared to the premium. The flow is better on a pro. That is a fact.

I agree that locking with newton ball is without a stop and go.
    However, I think it is the only time the ball is stopped comparing with the pro? All other time of the game, the flow is the same, correct?

2 months later
    #92 3 years ago

Well, i recently got this game back at home, a dirty donny premium. Very nice game, from 2013 and...96 balls played. I can’t believe it. The game is as new.
    My problem is i don’t like hammer even if i admit it doesn’t block the view. I don’t like either snake mech as you need to hit twice to grab the ball (correct?).
    Well, i’m lost and ready to move it for pro.

#95 3 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I have owned 2 pros in the past. Currently have a premium. The pro is better value for the $, has slightly more flow, and is more reliable. The premium is much more of a mechanical marvel, though, and has a cooler coffin multiball start. Even little things like the spinners and lightshow make it feel more fleshed out. It depends on how you weight the strengths and weaknesses of each, but they are both great.

With the total lightshow, the pro can be almost equal to premium in the lightning department
    Sincerely, the hammer doesn’t impressed me. I did not start yet this coffin MB. How it starts (where the balls go out?)?
    Can you confirm you need to hit twice the snake to grab the ball? This is what it plays here. I do not enjoy it as it feels repetitive to me

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

True on the lightshow, but it's not quite the same and you don't get the color changing inserts. I could take it or leave it on the hammer too, but it is a very neat effect when it smashes the ball through the playfield. The multiball start clears the coffin and the balls eject from the scoop instead of being autoplunged from the shooter lane. For the snake, you can also hit any lit snake shot to lower the jaw and light the snake just like the pro. If anything, this is one aspect where there is more flow on the premium because the jaw keeps some shots to the snake in play.

Need to check to be sure.
    What are the six rgb inserts? I guess they are arrows inserts. Why rgb is used for? They lit blue at first, then others lit red when you hit the blue one.

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Yes, the arrow inserts are RGB. They light different colors for different awards during stacked modes/multiballs. I believe they are also used for building towards crank it up & seek and destroy, but I'm admittedly not too schooled on the details there yet. This is not to detract from the Pro, which is also a great game. Just pointing out some of the differences to consider.

Thanks.
    I just decided to let it go my premium. I didn’t like the hammer, as surprising as it can be.
    I need to look now for a pro.

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think the hammer is an awesome toy, not sure why so many people dont like it. It doesn't block the view at all. All the models are awesome but give me the premium or LE with all the toys any day..

Well, the hammer does not block the player view but in a way it does, when you hit the chair right hand. I like to hit visually too, if it can make sense

And also, i’m not impressed by this toy, and the behavior hammer-magnet to lock the ball. Not a fan of magnet to stop the ball, many missed (in all the games i had that use it). And finally, i don’t know the band, any song, and his history. So this hammer doesn’t appear important to me, not as much as for a fan of the band i guess.

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I love my pro but I am disappointed about removal is spinner as it’s such a low cost feature. I’m convinced Stern removed not to save a few dollars but more to make the premium version more appealing.
    To me anything little should be kept the same across the versions and cosmetic or major toys and lights would be better to distance the premium and LE versions.

Well, the pro cost would be close the premium and i don’t think Stern wants to separate from pro machine customers
    3 distinct models are to widen customer range.

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

No I just mean have spinner on pro cost like $3. Iron Maiden pro has spinners.

If you can’t do without this spinner on the pro then it seems like what you call a major toy. So go with prem!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider colonel_caverne.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-which-to-buy-premium-or-pro?tu=colonel_caverne and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.