You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5905 (resized).JPG
beavisandbutthead (resized).jpg
IMG_0309 (resized).JPG
IMG_0308 (resized).JPG
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Metallica is my #1 favorite pin of all time. I've been playing it everyday for 4 months with no end in site. I just love the pin. We are a 2 pin house here, we had 3 at one point, now back down to 2 and that isn't going to change.

My question is directed only at people that own Metallica (pro or pemium) and rank is as their #1 or #2 favorite pin ever. If you could only own 2 pins, with Met being one of them, what would the other one be?

I have an STTNG right now and I really enjoy it a lot, but it doesn't give me the same adrenaline rush that Met does. It would take a really great pin for me to get rid of STTNG, because I think it is amazing, but if I could own a 2nd pin that did for me what Metallica does, then I'd part with the STTNG. It doesn't help matters too that my STTNG is a pristine, perfect, flawless HUO with about 400 plays and I would probably never find one this perfect ever again - there will be some sellers regret here

For the record I've owned and sold a Space Invaders, Star Trek Pro, Stargate and WOZ - I enjoyed Stargate a lot, the others not so much.

If you don't love MET, this isn't the thread for ya!

#2 6 years ago

TWD.
Same programmer (Lyman is king!!!), but very different playstyle.
If you dont know it well, you ought to.
Met, ACDC, and TWD are my three fav pins.

#3 6 years ago

Williams IJ.

They made a ton of STTNG, I sold one that was NIB about 8 months ago and have ran across several HUO STTNGs. I tell you that to help you move it, IJ on the other hand is one that is hard to find HUO, I have never ran across one.

IMG_0308 (resized).JPGIMG_0308 (resized).JPG

IMG_0309 (resized).JPGIMG_0309 (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago

If you like games that give you a rush feel like Metallica I suggest Ghostbusters, walking dead, and iron Man those 3 are games I enjoy and are very fast like metallica

#5 6 years ago

Rob Zombie . I love metallica and it was the game getting the most play in my collection . But now Rob Zombie gets the most play . Great adrenaline rush and really great "just one more game" appeal . Looks good next to metallica also .

#6 6 years ago

I have Met and AC/DC but there is no other like AFM I had it a few years ago and waiting for my ordered LE. Now is the time as the price is right. You won't regret it.........it's even better than Met, simple goals, fast paced, adrenaline rush, easy for begginers hard to rule the universe.

#7 6 years ago

beavisandbutthead (resized).jpgbeavisandbutthead (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

I'm not really a topper guy but I think I might be in on this one.

#11 6 years ago

TWD. Same designer/programmer and some bash toys with magnets, but the way the modes start/scoring and layout is much more punishing than MET and plays very different. If you like the theme give it a go.

I've had MET for about 2 years and like TWD even more than it now.

#12 6 years ago

All good suggestions. I really want TWD. My wife doesn't want it in the house, she says its ugly. I tend to agree. I did play a pro at MGC this year and it was pretty awesome.

AC/DC - I'll have to wait for the Vault if they ever decide to make one, I hate the pro art on the playfield. I played a pro once, didn't really click with me but I'll give it another chance. The one I played was very dirty and I couldn't hear the music on location.

IJ - played a lot of games on location. Don't care for it.

Maybe if there is a way to make the backglass less ugly on TWD my wife would be ok with it?

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I really want TWD. My wife doesn't want it in the house, she says its ugly.

Simple solution, trade the wife for a TWD premium.

#14 6 years ago

All good suggestions. I really want TWD. My wife doesn't want it in the house, she says its ugly. I tend to agree. I did play a pro at MGC this year and it was pretty awesome.
AC/DC - I'll have to wait for the Vault if they ever decide to make one, I hate the pro art on the playfield. I played a pro once, didn't really click with me but I'll give it another chance. The one I played was very dirty and I couldn't hear the music on location.
IJ - played a lot of games on location. Don't care for it.
Maybe if there is a way to make the backglass less ugly on TWD my wife would be ok with it?

TWD Prem/LE is an awesome game. We got TWD (in dec 2014) before Metallica (dec 2015). I still play TWDLE nearly every day. Ball times on Metallica can be quite long for me sometimes. Maybe you could ask your wife not to look at the backglass.. Once she gets into the machine she will not care about the backglass!

#15 6 years ago

A Star Trek premium or Game of Thrones goes great with a Metallica. You get a solid Ritchie flowing pin with good rules to go with Metallica.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

A Star Trek premium or Game of Thrones goes great with a Metallica. You get a solid Ritchie flowing pin with good rules to go with Metallica.

I did have a Star Trek Pro for about 6 months. I tried so hard to get that game to click with me, but it never did. The rest of the family quit playing it after 2 weeks. I am a huge Star Trek fan, so I still kind of miss the pin because the lightshow and theme were awesome. I don't think I'll ever get one again though.

#17 6 years ago

I did have a Star Trek Pro for about 6 months. I tried so hard to get that game to click with me, but it never did. The rest of the family quit playing it after 2 weeks. I am a huge Star Trek fan, so I still kind of miss the pin because the lightshow and theme were awesome. I don't think I'll ever get one again though.

I'd recommend you take the SM VE off your wish list if you did not enjoy ST. They are similar in layout.

Maybe wait for a Dailed In!

#18 6 years ago

Metallica is my favorite pin and I play it all the time. Bought it NIB back in 2013 and it never gets old. If I had to get my collection down to two machines, Twilight Zone is the other game that would get to stay. It really is a great game and has lasting power. Always fun to try to get to LITZ. Plus the shots are so different from Metallica (and most everything else) that it adds variety.

So TZ would be my recommendation. I do like TWD so I can't argue with that recommendation. But really what I'd recommend is finding space for three....

#19 6 years ago

Twd premium / le is the best game out there acdc prem/ le is close

Twd code dots lights is Perfection !

#20 6 years ago

LOTR.
Any pinball machine that needs something to pair with it will pair well with LOTR.
I believe in a two machine collection, the two games need to be as different as possible, while both satisfying the deep needs you have. If adrenaline is your thing then you will get it from LOTR. DTR will have you blood pumping every time, no matter how many times you get to it.
I have Met and LOTR and ten other machines. If I was down to two it would be those two.

#21 6 years ago

Adrenaline rush huh? BSD will give that to you when you start stacking those multiballs ohhhhh yeah! Oh and I only have 2 pins as well.

IMG_5905 (resized).JPGIMG_5905 (resized).JPG

#22 6 years ago

I own metallica pro, it is my favorite (shh..don't let the others know).
Twd gives me that same adrenaline blast, however short blasts as the game can be brutal.
One good game on met fills my adrenaline meter while twd might take 3 or 4 games to get my fill as it takes about the same amount of time.
Have to say my wife dislikes it though, (twd)refuses to play it because of the theme and gruesomeness of it.

Transformers decepticon is actually my second favorite game, (to each their own) more so for the shots, sounds, lighting, and overall package. It gets my adrenaline flowing somewhat, but met and twd own that department imo.

#23 6 years ago

Tron
Spider-Man
Ironman
Attack from Mars

#24 6 years ago

Does anyone know how the new Aerosmith pin compares to Metallica?

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from JonH123:

I own both. If you loved Metallica, you'll love Aerosmith. Assuming you like the music of Aerosmith.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from JonH123:

I think it's similar, except that you can experience 9 modes in AS much easier than you can the 4 CIU modes in MET.

#27 6 years ago

Metallica is my #1 favorite pin of all time. I've been playing it everyday for 4 months with no end in site. I just love the pin. We are a 2 pin house here, we had 3 at one point, now back down to 2 and that isn't going to change.
My question is directed only at people that own Metallica (pro or pemium) and rank is as their #1 or #2 favorite pin ever. If you could only own 2 pins, with Met being one of them, what would the other one be?
I have an STTNG right now and I really enjoy it a lot, but it doesn't give me the same adrenaline rush that Met does. It would take a really great pin for me to get rid of STTNG, because I think it is amazing, but if I could own a 2nd pin that did for me what Metallica does, then I'd part with the STTNG. It doesn't help matters too that my STTNG is a pristine, perfect, flawless HUO with about 400 plays and I would probably never find one this perfect ever again - there will be some sellers regret here
For the record I've owned and sold a Space Invaders, Star Trek Pro, Stargate and WOZ - I enjoyed Stargate a lot, the others not so much.
If you don't love MET, this isn't the thread for ya!

TWD LE or MM or wait SW is coming soon.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from JonH123:

Been wondering the exact same thing.

#29 6 years ago

MET is my favorite.

My top game before that was Tron. Top before that was TZ.

ACDC is also very high on my list...would probably be my desert island pin behind MET. I have the Pro...you can always put the sexy devil lady sticker over the Angus face. It plays faster than the premium, and is almost half the price.

If you want something with shorter games than MET choose: Iron Man...though the code isn't nearly as deep or nuanced.

If you want something with longer games than MET choose: Game of Thrones. Code is very deep and nuanced, although the story of each game tends to follow the same arc, but perhaps in a different order each time. (Whereas with Metallica you can go down completely different paths).

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Quoted from JonH123:

They don't feel similar at all. Aerosmith layout feels more like Kiss. Aerosmith is entirely mode based...shoot different lit shots until it ends (with some other stuff on top of that), whereas the tasks in Metallica are much more varied, independent of one another, and can be combined in more interesting ways beyond the "make sure you have a mode running, and then add something to it" gameplay of Aerosmith.

That said, I have enjoyed Aerosmith a lot, but you're asking me to compare it to my top game of all time.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

They don't feel similar at all. Aerosmith layout feels more like Kiss. Aerosmith is entirely mode based...shoot different lit shots until it ends (with some other stuff on top of that), whereas the tasks in Metallica are much more varied, independent of one another, and can be combined in more interesting ways beyond the "make sure you have a mode running, and then add something to it" gameplay of Aerosmith.
That said, I have enjoyed Aerosmith a lot, but you're asking me to compare it to my top game of all time.

I've played Aerosmith many times. The shots don't feel as fun to me as Met. It was ok, I wouldn't buy one. I still haven't played Tron, I keep thinking that one might provide the Met adrenaline I like. Might have to wait for a vault on that one too, as the prices for just a pro as way too high for me.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Me three....got cash in my pocket and finding it hard to resist. Wasn't a fan at first cuz band is just meh for me. Can't deny the pin loOKs fun and pleasing to the eye except that scoop on left. Trying to hold out for alien or afmr but this is tempting. What to do what to do?

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from tp:

Me three....got cash in my pocket and finding it hard to resist. Wasn't a fan at first cuz band is just meh for me. Can't deny the pin loOKs fun and pleasing to the eye except that scoop on left. Trying to hold out for alien or afmr but this is tempting. What to do what to do?

If you don't like Aerosmith I would suggest not buying an Aerosmith. Are you really that impatient that you can't hold out for AFMr or Alien?

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from tp:

except that scoop on left. What to do what to do?

I find the scoop on the left on AS is a lot easier to hit than the piston lane on Metallica. It could be the easiest shot on the game. If you dig Aerosmith as a band this game is a no brainer.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from huo:

I find the scoop on the left on AS is a lot easier to hit than the piston lane on Metallica. It could be the easiest shot on the game. If you dig Aerosmith as a band this game is a no brainer.

That's exactly why I don't like that shot. It's to easy. Why even put it there if that easy. Also the way you can still see the ball and then it seems to just dribble out. The met shot is challenging and the sounds that goes with it phenomenal. Minus that shot I think as looks great.

#36 6 years ago

Aerosmith looks way better than I think anybody expected. I'm thinking about it to, but I'm definitely in on star wars for now. Aerosmith is a very likely future purchase though.
Op, Tron to me doesn't seem to get adrenaline pumping for me like Metallica. Maybe revisit GB, or TWD. Lotr would be a good compliment to Metallica to. Star wars is soon to, so maybe wait.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

If you don't like Aerosmith I would suggest not buying an Aerosmith. Are you really that impatient that you can't hold out for AFMr or Alien?

The impatient part comes into play because the cash in hand comes from a couple pin sales and literally dwindles with each passing day as little by little I spend on other things I need and don't need.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from tp:

The impatient part comes into play because the cash in hand comes from a couple pin sales and literally dwindles with each passing day as little by little I spend on other things I need and don't need.

The struggle is real. Lol. I get it. Aerosmith does look good though.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from tp:

That's exactly why I don't like that shot. It's to easy. Why even put it there if that easy. Also the way you can still see the ball and then it seems to just dribble out. The met shot is challenging and the sounds that goes with it phenomenal. Minus that shot I think as looks great.

You need it to be somewhat easy. One song shot then hit crank it up so you can add more time to the song. I prefer or welcome the new way you can see the ball in the scoop on the newer Sterns.

#40 6 years ago

IMO

As people have said TWD (I have and love the pro) but if the optics are not great for your family Tron is a killer pin, plays nice and looks great with three different translites to choose from.

Something completely different may be nice also such as Tspp or LotR. Both are easy to sell if you don't like.

#41 6 years ago

My Met and TWD sit right next to each other, both bolted to the ground!

#42 6 years ago

Would go with TWD, GOT, or IM except in a 2 pin collection.

For pin # 2 opposite MET would choose a 3 flipper pin like ST or Tron. Nothing better for flow than Jackpot on a combo off the upper flipper.

Old pins I really like either of the High Speeds for 3 flippers.

Old 2 flippers, T2 probably is the prototype fast flowing fan or AFM has that reckless fast game if dialed in plus strobe mb is one of a kind

I like STTNG but find the wide-bodies don't do it for me at all so would avoid all those.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from tp:

You have to hit the AS CIU scoop 3 or 4 times more often than you do the Metallica one. It's more integrated and a key element to success than it is on metallica; you have to shoot it to change songs + you have to shoot during songs if you want to progress + it's also a mystery shot. so it has to be an easy shot or it would be another ST mission start like design so to speak.

#44 6 years ago

As for the topic at hand; GOT pro has Been an awesome pin in a 2 pin lineup for me and has outlasted MET, TWD, IMVE, and ACDC. Lots of flow, speed, and strategies. It's not a looker, but she sure is wild in the sack!

#45 6 years ago

I'd go with a mode based game ...something like Family Guy, Indiana Jones, Judge Dredd, STTNG, Jurassic Park, etc.

Then of course, Tron would be a nice match too

#46 6 years ago

in a two pin collection: Met Pro + ???. Fortunately there are a lot of superior choices:

2 Flippers:
AFM
AS
BSD
Centaur
GB
GOT
LOTR
TWD

Extra Flippers:
ACDC (4)
FGY/Shrek (5)
SM (3)
TH (3)
Tron (3)
TS (4)
TSPP (5)
TZ (6)
WH20 (3)

#47 6 years ago

^ think you shortchanged Tspp by two flippers and over gave TZ by one.

#48 6 years ago

This thread speaks to how versatile MET is as a game.

I really like TWD as mentioned, but may not be as family friendly.
Mixing it up with GOT or LOTR, or adding a classic like WH20 would mix
up a two pin home collection pretty well.
Good luck!

#49 6 years ago

IM
Tron
LOTR
MET
BSD

are my top-5 for giving me a rush when I play. I think TWD would as well but haven't spent enough time on it.

#50 6 years ago

IMO top choices would be... AS, TWD, Tron, IM, AFM

But since you've indicated you don't like AS, your tastes don't match mine. You should definitely test/try any game before buying, or you could end up with a game that other people like, but you don't.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

7,600 (OBO)
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-what-other-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.