(Topic ID: 182535)

Metallica - what hardware issues have you had?

By spinal

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Apex
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I want to compile a master list of common Metallica issues that owners have encountered as I'm thinking of making the jump myself (Pro or LE). There are many issues still popping up in the forums like:

- MET LE hammer lock not always grabbing the ball

- Ball bouncing back off of plastic post on left outer loop (metal post replacement fixes this mostly but not always)

- Grave marker targets prematurely dropping / not completely dropping / not resetting properly

- Playfield clearcoat chipping (shooter lane, outhole, ...). Ghosting? Some suggesting to buy used others saying not a problem at all.

- Lowest bumper not firing when ball contacts it

Q1. Metallica owners, what are the most common mechanical failures you've encountered / still encounter? (please mention Pro or LE)

Q2. Any advice for someone thinking of buying new or used today?

I will compile into a poll later.

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

I've had a pro for a couple years. The springs in the 3 drops initially needed shortened to make sure drops dropped, but since then I haven't had any issues. It's been very solid. Premium owners have more issues simply due to a couple extra features. I definitely recommend metallica either table. I didn't find the extra features worth the cost in the premium BTW. Great game all around.

#3 7 years ago

I got a pro specifically to avoid the hammer issues. I've heard about them enough that I just didn't want to bother. The pro still plays amazingly, and you can add spinners if you're crafty or order from Pinball Refinery. My pro has had next to no issues. My left slingshot would sometimes fire randomly. I opened the switch up a little bit (bent it gently) and now have zero problems at all.

Regarding new or used; I like new things so I bought new. Went with Pinball Refinery because I wanted a ton of mods but didn't want to do all of them myself.

#4 7 years ago

3+ years with a pro...one line out on DMD when unboxed, got replacement from stern...no issues since

#5 7 years ago

Broken trough switch upon arrival. I also had to bend the Spring in Sparky's head a bit. Nothing else.

#6 7 years ago

Bought mine in July 2016. Broken leaf switch in the scoop on arrival.

#7 7 years ago

My NIB LED MET PRO was delivered late July with a stamped April 01 2016 playfield. Backbox dated June 15th 2016. I have clear chipping at around shooter lane and also at outhole. 548 Balls played and 178 total plays. I am waiting to hear back from Stern.... I am also working through Stern on Grave Marker in-line drop targets not resetting properly. Stern supplied a replacement mech that is having the same problem as my original.
At the very least do not play one game without all the cliffy protectors applied, as I kept putting it on the back burner due to being out of town.
My HULK has zero protection, tons more games, and zero issues, so I think 2016 is a bad year to buy NIB. I dumped my GBLE and GBPREM, thinking I would avoid any issues by going MET, well that didn't work.

Stern has been silent on all issues after the replacement drop target mech didn't help.

I signed KPG petition...

#8 7 years ago

3 years a huo pro.

Only issue was a coilstop of which the center became loose, causing the flipper to stick in the up position sometimes.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

3 years a huo pro.
Only issue was a coilstop of which the center became loose, causing the flipper to stick in the up position sometimes.

The infamous disintegrating coil stops!

Rob

#10 7 years ago

This happened to my pro early on at around 500 plays. Easy fix but something to be aware of.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-sparky-short-warning

#11 7 years ago

Pro

1. DMD went bad in about 3 months.
2. Front drop target sticker is coming off at bottom.
3. Flipper coil stops left gold 'dandruff' in the cabinet and caused the flippers to stick. (Replaced with WMS stops. Seriously)
4. Mystery switch needed adjustment (wouldn't always register)
5. Snake switch needed adjustment (wouldn't always register)

#12 7 years ago

The snake head can be problematic. Had to adjust it several times before it worked right.
The left upper lane was too narrow for the ball to fit through. Had to bend the right rail a bit to make it wider. You think they would test each lane before they box it up. Apparently not.

#13 7 years ago

I bought a NIB LED Pro in early Dec of 16 and currently have about 300 games on it. The only issues I have had were:

1) High number of jump balls after striking Sparky. This was fixed with a Pinbits sparky protector. I cannot recommend enough that you install this day 1!
2) Loose play field spotlights. Simply had to re-tighten, no issues since.
3) Snake initially shot the ball SDTM at a rate of 2 in 5. Had to loosen the mech and twist slightly to aim more toward the left flipper.

Other than those minor issues been very reliable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 29.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-what-hardware-issues-have-you-had and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.