Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 8 years ago

Finally got some time over Christmas to get my Metallica up and running again after adding a few mods . I'm having a very weird and random ( although it seems to be doing it more now than it was ) issue .

The problem is that the shooter lane auto-launch sometimes fires the ball which will jump the small wire guide and end up straight in the right hand outlane and drain . Very frustrating .

I've checked the mechanism under the playfield and it's all tight , the wire guide is not sunken into the playfield etc.

I've tried to see what's going on in test mode but it happens so quick you don't get a chance to see what's really causing it . A super high speed / slo-mo camera might help but I don't have one unfortunately .

Has any one else had this issue with Metallica ( or any other Stern for that matter ) and if so what was the cause / solution ?

#2 8 years ago

Check your kicker prongs they might not be spaced correctly or not hitting ball at same time. Easy to adjust.

This might help. Cheers

#3 8 years ago

The prongs on mine had spread out causing weird behavior like sideways and soft launches. I just put a ball in the lane and carefully bent them back until they contacted evenly. When the problem started, I also checked for slop in the coil and other stuff as that had seemed to be the source of most problems but it was all fine.

#4 8 years ago

I know exactly what the problem is, it was happening on my LE. it is is the nylon bushing in the auto plunger assembly. There is a lot of slop in the mechanism due to that bushing which causes it to hit the ball unevenly. we fixed it by machining a brass bushing to replace the nylon bushings I have had it in there for almost a year now and have not had the problem since. every time it fires it fires straight and true. I also have been keeping an eye on the bushing to see if it wears or binds at all and have not noticed any issue. I have been asked a few times about making these bushings but due to the time it takes to do it the cost would be about $40 and due to slight tolerance differences in the mechanism I cannot guarantee that it will be exactly the same fit in every machine. If anyone has any questions, would like one made or would like the measurements to machine their own feel free to shoot me a message

#5 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#6 8 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys . I'll check it out today . Drewblood419 great idea with the brass bush . If I can't fix the problem by adjusting the prongs I'll try that . Should be able to knock one of those up myself easily on the lathe at work .

I'll report back and let you all know what I come up with as a solution .

#7 8 years ago

In the last pic you can see the I.D/O.D of the sleeve then goes a brass washer then the e clip the other end we have a flange. If you need more pics or measurements please feel free to PM me and I'll help however I can

Ps I never had to bend the prongs you may want to try this first before bending anything

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

In the last pic you can see the I.D/O.D of the sleeve then goes a brass washer then the e clip the other end we have a flange. If you need more pics or measurements please feel free to PM me and I'll help however I can
Ps I never had to bend the prongs you may want to try this first before bending anything

I was advised by stern to bend prongs....even Michael at AMD advised the same thing. This fixed the problem with ball not clearing shooter lane. 2k games later still working well.

Ps when I say bending prongs it's only a slight adjustment, your not bending them more than a few degrees.

#9 8 years ago

Problem fixed !! (hopefully .. )

Had a good look at the auto-plunger and found that with a ball sitting in the shooter lane it was touching the prong on the right ( from a player's perspective ) but was not touching the prong the left . It was only just missing it and had to get my head on the correct angle to see it , hence why I didn't pick up on it before . I "bent" the left prong sideways ( towards the right prong) slightly so they both made even contact with the ball .

...*** when I say "bent" the prong , it didn't really need bending as such , more just a slight bit of pressure on it . Would've only moved it over by 0.5 a millimetre , if that . ***...

In saying that it is a bit of a bad design with the whole auto-plunger in the fact that both hinge points for the prong arm are on the same side . The weight of the prongs tends to make it sag quite a bit . Drewblood419's brass bush fix above would remedy that and it's something I may end up doing when I get some time . The mechanism would've been much better with a hinge point on each side of the prong arm .

Thanks for the tips guys , much appreciated .

#10 8 years ago

Glad you got it fixed Mil.

Agree 100% mech could have been designed better. There is a lot of play in it. Cheers

#11 8 years ago

Had same problem.

My quick fix was file down a flat washer to take up slack in bushings. The shooter has a ton of side to side play. I removed the e clip and put the washer between the bushing and the clip therefore reducing the play to almost nothing. After watching the auto launcher shoot about 30 ball up the lane with no issues I think I have a decent repair. I am going to see if my shooter from my Walking Dead machine can be installed in place of this one. The Walking Dead has a much better design, maybe they fixed a flaw.

Anyway thanks for the tips to help find my problem quickly...

1 week later
#12 8 years ago

I had the same issue. Mine was the cliffy protector was to far to the right and the ball was hitting the corner of the cliffy and going crazy. Moved it slightly over to the left and problem was solved.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.50
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-weird-auto-launch-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.