Met_Case_Picture_(resized).jpg
acdc_style_(resized).jpg
DSCN2055_(resized).JPG
Case_(resized).jpg
IMGA0300[1]_(resized).JPG
dollhouse_Sound_System_(resized).jpg
61rcBpbiIlL._SL1001__(resized).jpg
Shut-up-and-take-my-money_(resized).jpg
There are 139 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

Check out this mod I made to jazz up the sneeze guard a little bit.

DSCN2035_(resized).JPGDSCN2035_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

Cool, how did you make it?

#3 8 years ago

That is Sick!

#4 8 years ago

I will buy it RIGHT NOW and I never use this meme but

Shut-up-and-take-my-money_(resized).jpgShut-up-and-take-my-money_(resized).jpg

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

» YouTube video
DSCN2035_(resized).JPG

dude. I want this mod. NOW

#6 8 years ago

This shouldn't be difficult to make get a VU meter like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UL5MIP4
and use the input and output connectors to pass your backbox speakers through it.

Edit: Maybe this one is better http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UL5LOS6

#7 8 years ago

Nice mod! This looks like the one used. I'd be all over this if I didn't already have a mod on the sneeze guard.

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Console-Frequency-Divider-Equipment/dp/B00UMJA2WK/ref=sr_1_8

61rcBpbiIlL._SL1001__(resized).jpg61rcBpbiIlL._SL1001__(resized).jpg

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Cool, how did you make it?

Very cool indeed!

In fact, I just received a little VU meter kit (http://www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?country=us&lang=enu&id=350543) of my own just two days ago, with the intent of modding my Met in this same way. I wasn't sure where to mount it until I saw this thread; from the OP's pics it looks like it was factory installed - well done!

As far as how to make it work, simply wire the meter in parallel with the cabinet speaker. The VU kit has a speaker-level input (470k impedance), so it's just a simple connection to the speaker terminals. The meter requires 12VDC, which is readily available in the auxiliary 12V cabinet harness. Given the high input impedance compared with speaker impedance (for parallel resistances, 1/R1+1/R2=1/Rtotal), the additional load presented to the game's audio amp is miniscule and won't cause any stress, damage, or audible distortion.

Some meter kits might provide only a high-sensitivity line-level connection. In that case, a resistive voltage divider could be used to pad down the speaker-level voltage to line-level, with the individual resistances being determined by a couple of Ohm's Law calculations (the same circuit some audio equipment manufacturers use to add headphone jacks to power amps/receivers).

#9 8 years ago

Um. I need this.

#11 8 years ago

Sudsy, are ya gonna jump on this and wire some up to sell?

#12 8 years ago

There's all kinds of VU audio meters out there that would work for this - I just happened to have this one in a parts bin. Trying to think of something to put on the lower clear plastic area that would compliment the meter?

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Sudsy, are ya gonna jump on this and wire some up to sell?

Nah, I'm too lazy. Beside, it's easy enough for anyone to do for themselves.

#14 8 years ago

Mind spelling it out for a simpleton? I have no idea what to buy or where to get it. I would order now . The Amazon one above? I like the line that kinda lingers on top after the level goes down.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Mind spelling it out for a simpleton? I have no idea what to buy or where to get it. I would order now . The Amazon one above? I like the line that kinda lingers on top after the level goes down.

I think any of the ones above would work. I don't have a P/N for you - it was a loose one I pulled out of a junk bin. The feature you are referring to is called a "peak hold" - some meters have it and some don't - look at the details when you order. It's just 4 wires - low and hi audio inputs (which you can use alligator clips to the cab speaker but don't tell Black Knight about the roach clips or he will preach to you at length - glad he's gone), power and ground. Mine was 5vdc, but I'm sure they come in 12vdc too.

#16 8 years ago

Cool, man. Thanks.

#17 8 years ago

I need this! PM sent to Mezelmods, maybe they can feed the crowd...

#18 8 years ago

I'll make up a couple if people want them. Should work in any music pin I guess. Ordered 5 parts to start, will order as many as needed after we get something working and looking good. Will make a case or front for it when I get it. Probably put one of these into my Iron Maiden Project .

#19 8 years ago

I'm in on one of these.

#20 8 years ago

Me too

#24 8 years ago

Looks like they come in 57mm, 87mm, 117mm and 147mm versions. With and without peak hold. The one in the video has a peak hold bar.

#25 8 years ago

Peak hold bar= the shit

#26 8 years ago

That is slick! Well done, love it!

#27 8 years ago

The peak hold appears to be a feature that can be enabled / disabled on the VU Meter.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

Looks like they come in 57mm, 87mm, 117mm and 147mm versions.

Forget about the mm, somebody make a giant VU meter backbox topper, and let's really rock!
(not responsible for any photosensitive epileptic seizures

#29 8 years ago

Here's the finishing touch to this mod. A miniature old school sound system (gotta have record player and tape deck!) mounted on the clear plastic piece directly in front of the VU meter.

dollhouse_Sound_System_(resized).jpgdollhouse_Sound_System_(resized).jpg

#30 8 years ago

Hell yeah!! Rock on!

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Forget about the mm, somebody make a giant VU meter backbox topper, and let's really rock!
(not responsible for any photosensitive epileptic seizures

honestly, this is a pretty sweet idea lol

#32 8 years ago

Someone made that topper in a thread about a year ago. I like this because it fits in an unused space and covers an ugly plastic guard

#33 8 years ago

I'm in for one please not the topper

#34 8 years ago

I'm in for one.

#36 8 years ago

I'm in

#37 8 years ago

Very nice. Did you have to build the connector for it If so, where did you source the housing and pins?

#38 8 years ago

Don't even have my Metallica yet, but I'm in!

#39 8 years ago

Ok- Happy to get this one rolling for everyone. Will add on once markmon sells his.... thanks for the suggestion all!

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from mrs_mezelmods:

Ok- Happy to get this one rolling for everyone. Will add on once markmon sells his.... thanks for the suggestion all!

I want to put 2 of these symmetrically placed on AC/DC but it will require some sort of mounting brackets. Any help, advice, links would be appreciated.

#41 8 years ago

would be cool to have it like an equailzer bar. have a bunch of small ones in a row each set to different freq. Nice little idea

#42 8 years ago

I like the topper idea with
A Whole row like Neo said

You make it , I buy it

#43 8 years ago

For all those who have PM'd asking me to build a kit for you, I appreciate the compliments and the interest. Honestly, there would not be much to the kit beside the VU meter, which is readily available for about $30. Some wire and mounting screws that everyone has laying around the house and you're done. It's about as DIY as it gets! But if you don't feel comfortable with it, it looks like some folks are ready to jump in and sell ready-made kits. Like I said in an earlier post, I don't intend to make kits - I'm more of an idea man (and I really am lazy, you can ask my wife!)

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Someone made that topper in a thread about a year ago.

I can't find this - can you provide a link?
BTW, Florida APE show rocks! The hotel WIFI in this particular Miami hotel - not so much.

#46 8 years ago

Nice work! On another note, is that a piece of metal covering the shooter lane? I have occasional issues where the ball jumps the shooter lane into the right outlane. Thinking this cover could help with that?

#47 8 years ago

That's it! Thanks.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from sadler28:

Nice work! On another note, is that a piece of metal covering the shooter lane? I have occasional issues where the ball jumps the shooter lane into the right outlane. Thinking this cover could help with that?

I think you are seeing the metal on the bottom of the shooter lane?

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

» YouTube video
DSCN2035_(resized).JPG

I like it but I already have one on my Met....a little bigger too.

IMGA0300[1]_(resized).JPGIMGA0300[1]_(resized).JPG

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I like it but I already have one on my Met....a little bigger too.

I think all us guys just got meter envy! (ladies continue insisting size doesn't matter - thank you).

Nice find, MustangPaul. They even have them in about 18" x 4" size which might suit a pinball backbox better, and setup for 12v for just over 10 bucks. Ordered & out!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 139 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-vu-bargraph-meter-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.