• Latest reply 10 years ago by Asael
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Stern really hit the nail on the head with these pro pins , but what one are you liking that little bit more over the other .

Its great to see that Stern have lifted their game big time with these titles , both have great Art , Sound , Flow ect .

And key is also the Pro Pricing is at the sweet spot compared to where we have seen prices heading .

Stern are on a real roll and i'm exited to see what they have in store for the near future .

#2 10 years ago

I agree that both of these Pro models are a good value in today's market. Compared to all of the other machines available or becoming available, the Pro models have become a good bang for the buck value in the new pin market. $4K and change vs. $7K to $9K. The other machines are 2x as good (LE's included)?

Even compared to the used market, these machines give a good run for the money given the run up in used market prices. Sure, there are "B" pins available for $2K (and less depending on vintage) and I've been an owner of a few of those. Those can be a great value. But sticking with the new market, I think Stern's Pro models are positioned very well and are a relative bargain... Conversely, the other pins have just become perversely inflated in price but that's obviously a matter of supply and demand that dictates that. If folks are willing and able to pay for the Lexus even though it's 90% the same as the Toyota, then I'm happy for them.

#3 10 years ago

I got to play them both last week and software aside Metalica looks like the better build quality and has a better look and artwork but they seem about even in the fun category just batting the ball around. ST ramps are very interesting but the LED's in the inserts are more spotty and blinding

#4 10 years ago

Haven't played Stern Star Trek yet but I have a MET pro and I love it. I mean it's still lacking the full experience but it's better than worrying about the hammer lock, or w/e the problem is with the LE/Premium. Star trek (stern) looks nice on the videos and I'm happy to see RGB's on the pros.. It still inflated nonsense but at least the pros are starting to include what's included more or less in the Premiums. No missing lower play field. Stupid Ice ramps and IDK what I missed. Happier with Stern but still think the prices are insane.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I agree that both of these Pro models are a good value in today's market. Compared to all of the other machines available or becoming available, the Pro models have become a good bang for the buck value in the new pin market. $4K and change vs. $7K to $9K. The other machines are 2x as good (LE's included)?
Even compared to the used market, these machines give a good run for the money given the run up in used market prices. Sure, there are "B" pins available for $2K (and less depending on vintage) and I've been an owner of a few of those. Those can be a great value. But sticking with the new market, I think Stern's Pro models are positioned very well and are a relative bargain... Conversely, the other pins have just become perversely inflated in price but that's obviously a matter of supply and demand that dictates that. If folks are willing and able to pay for the Lexus even though it's 90% the same as the Toyota, then I'm happy for them.

Good points, I agree. I believe both pins offer great value. I own a Met Pro refinery edition and have a friend who owns a ST Pro Refinery ed. Both machines are stunning, fast and fun to play. With all the bashing Stern takes for just about everything they don't get enough credit for making the only/best pins for $4,400-4,900.00 to your door NIB, no one else does this. As you stated most other NIB's will run you 7-9 k to your door......OUCH that's a lot. For my 9k I'll take a ST pro and a Met Pro over 1 NIB pin (or maybe even an xmen pro and either one of the others).

#6 10 years ago

So what would you say is the overall better pin, anymore opinions from people? I have a STLE on order but I keep watching Metallica videos and I am starting to second guess. Should I be?

#7 10 years ago

I personally like them both! I have however chosen a Star Trek over Metallica. I just decided I wanted the newest pin on my location.

#8 10 years ago

The thing I cant get outta my head are those MET Metal ramps, so satisfying. Hearing people say ST is buttery smooth though is reassuring.

#9 10 years ago

I think ST is the more fun game even with in completed code. With more MET updates it may make it better, but if had to choose 1 right now, it would be ST.

#10 10 years ago

ST is better. I played Met and it was just meh. I liked AC/DC a lot more then Met.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

ST is better. I played Met and it was just meh. I liked AC/DC a lot more then Met.

can you elaborate? Personal preference? The 3rd flipper? Generally speaking? Code? Artwork/theme? Whole package?

Haven't played Star Trek yet but I might this weekend. Just wondering why you think it's better since I haven't played it.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from vtec16:

Good points, I agree. I believe both pins offer great value. I own a Met Pro refinery edition and have a friend who owns a ST Pro Refinery ed. Both machines are stunning, fast and fun to play. With all the bashing Stern takes for just about everything they don't get enough credit for making the only/best pins for $4,400-4,900.00 to your door NIB, no one else does this. As you stated most other NIB's will run you 7-9 k to your door......OUCH that's a lot. For my 9k I'll take a ST pro and a Met Pro over 1 NIB pin (or maybe even an xmen pro and either one of the others).

Yes exactly, they are both very fun pins at a great price point. Here is visual proof that these two pins can coexist Refinery style.
image.jpgimage.jpg

#13 10 years ago

Cool pic Dude. I must say the refinery editions are sweet looking. Just look at what they did for your ST translite. Your pic makes it appear that Kirk is sitting in the backseat.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

Cool pic Dude. I must say the refinery editions are sweet looking. Just look at what they did for your ST translite. Your pic makes it appear that Kirk is sitting in the backseat.

Hilarious. What are the odds.

Art speaking I don't even compare Met to ST, Met is in another league with DD art. Amazing.

When code will be complete Met will be amongst the best pins out there. We keep bashing over Stern codes, with good reasons, but look at the machines they came out with lately. ST, Met, Avengers (I love it), X-Men, AC/DC and Tron are awesome themes and pins. They really are going the right way. Great times for pinball.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from FiveSixPyro:

can you elaborate? Personal preference? The 3rd flipper? Generally speaking? Code? Artwork/theme? Whole package?
Haven't played Star Trek yet but I might this weekend. Just wondering why you think it's better since I haven't played it.

I guess it comes down to personal preference. ST is A LOT faster then Met, and I prefer fast playing games which is probably why I also liked AC/DC better then Met as well. Now on build quality and artwork Met wins for sure, love the metal ramps. I personally found Met too slow for my tastes but maybe it was pitched wrong, I did only play it at a distributors storefront.

#16 10 years ago

MET isn't slow by any means. It has a good mixture of technical and speed. What ruins it for me on metallica are the song choices and integration, and im a metallica fan!

#17 10 years ago

I guess it comes down to personal preference. ST is A LOT faster then Met, and I prefer fast playing games which is probably why I also liked AC/DC better then Met as well. Now on build quality and artwork Met wins for sure, love the metal ramps. I personally found Met too slow for my tastes but maybe it was pitched wrong, I did only play it at a distributors storefront.

Thanks for that. I hope I didn't come off as if I was questioning you. Just curious. Put that post down on MET hit some orbits and it's lightning.

#18 10 years ago

Anymore opinions from people?

#19 10 years ago

My local arcade just got both and they are side by side I played both last night and IMHO ST by a mile!
For me it's just way more fun!

#20 10 years ago

WHy is that??? Care to elaborate for us?

#21 10 years ago

I would just think a music pin has more longevity

#22 10 years ago

I was recently deciding between these 2 pins and was also considering an ACDC . I went with the Metallica . I like gameplay on all 3 games. I enjoyed playing Star Trek But for me choosing Metallica over Star Trek was easy, simply because of the art I really like the art on Metallica and the fact that they hired an artist to do it . I was very disappointed by the complete lack of any effort on the artwork on Star Trek , The playfield has the worst artwork I have ever seen on any pinball machine of any era . It probably took someone 5 minutes to do in photoshop , Its just a picture of a nebula with some cartoony looking poorly drawn counsel or ship ( can't really tell ) . Star Trek could have been so much better if they would have hired an artist for this pin as well .

#23 10 years ago

I wonder if the plain layout has to do with the Star-field Projector?

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from RogerKlotz27:

I wonder if the plain layout has to do with the Star-field Projector?

Probably , but the pro doesn't have it and if that is the case then it seems that theStar Trek Premium /LE is going to be a way better game than the pro . As for Metallica the pro ( in my opinion) is just as good as Premium/LE.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I was recently deciding between these 2 pins and was also considering an ACDC . I went with the Metallica . I like gameplay on all 3 games. I enjoyed playing Star Trek But for me choosing Metallica over Star Trek was easy, simply because of the art I really like the art on Metallica and the fact that they hired an artist to do it . I was very disappointed by the complete lack of any effort on the artwork on Star Trek , The playfield has the worst artwork I have ever seen on any pinball machine of any era . It probably took someone 5 minutes to do in photoshop , Its just a picture of a nebula with some cartoony looking poorly drawn counsel or ship ( can't really tell ) . Star Trek could have been so much better if they would have hired an artist for this pin as well .

Do you know who did the art for ST?

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Do you know who did the art for ST?

What art? The only version that has anything is the LE with drawn picture of the Enterprise . The LE is the only version I would want .
Sorry , to answer your question , No I do not know who did the art . Do you ?

#27 10 years ago

Met is buy no means slow. I strongly disagree.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from criss:

Stern really hit the nail on the head with these pro pins , but what one are you liking that little bit more over the other .
Its great to see that Stern have lifted their game big time with these titles , both have great Art , Sound , Flow ect .
And key is also the Pro Pricing is at the sweet spot compared to where we have seen prices heading .
Stern are on a real roll and i'm exited to see what they have in store for the near future .

Be careful what you say here. I got a ban warning from a (edited) moderator for stating this exact opinion. The recent Stern pros are better than their LE or premium counterparts. Better flow, quicker gameplay and 3K less to boot. AC/DC, MET, and it looks like ST are all better in the pro versions. Sorry Tiki, but it snot a case of money. I am not jealous of people who can afford the LE version.

#29 10 years ago

Metallica FTW!!!

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Be careful what you say here. I got a ban warning from a (edited) moderator for stating this exact opinion. The recent Stern pros are better than their LE or premium counterparts. Better flow, quicker gameplay and 3K less to boot. AC/DC, MET, and it looks like ST are all better in the pro versions. Sorry Tiki, but it snot a case of money. I am not jealous of people who can afford the LE version.

Metallica is a better Pro, Xmen is a better Pro, AC/DC umm NO, the LE is better.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Metallica FTW!!!

Please don't waste our time with code. WTF is FTW? I'm not going to waste my time googling your "code".

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Please don't waste our time with code. WTF is FTW? I'm not going to waste my time googling your "code".

For the win. It's an acronym that's been around probably as long as omg and lol. Welcome to the internet...

#33 10 years ago

Lol, if you have to ask don't bother. Kwiki brother you are never wasting our time ; )

#34 10 years ago

I'm also ignorant to what the kids are using these days to represent real words or phrases But I'm going to guess that "FTW" means "For The Win " and then agree with kwiKimart and give him a thumbs up also .

#35 10 years ago

Sorry, but this is the only site I frequent on the internet. It took me forever to figure out OMG and LOL. Internet abbreviations suck and what is obvious to some people is not to others. I say ban abbreviations from pinside. Now go ahead and thumbs me down

#36 10 years ago

Don't ban it, just ignore it, yolo! ;P^^

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

7,600 (OBO)
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 149.00
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-vs-star-trek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.