• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flash9.gif
girl-says-talk-to-the-hand-smiley-emot.gif
#1 11 years ago

Ok. I know they are completely different pins made by totally different companies (a David vs Goliath so-to-speak).
I am on both Pre-Order lists (PRED and MMOP)....but I have to decide on one? What do the masses think will be "better", staying power?
I love Skit-B and their mission, but I love Metallica!!! AAAAHHHH! What to do???

Just looking for suggestions.....

Thanks

#2 11 years ago

Any opinions you get will be based on the same lack of facts you have.

So get them both

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Any opinions you get will be based on the same lack of facts you have.
So get them both

When I win that lottery saturday.......I'll buy you one to!

#4 11 years ago

I am getting both.

#5 11 years ago

difficult without trying the machines

#6 11 years ago

What about Star Trek?

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What about Star Trek?

Though I am sure that will be a great pin....I am not a Star Trek fan.....
Just trying to decide on ONE of the two pins (PRED - MMOP)....I can't get both; I have to save some money for the divorce!

#8 11 years ago

I have to stick with my boys at Skit-B and say Predator. There are 3 levels of Metallica, and the limited has 400 (or is it 500?) being made. Predator is 250 TOTAL. You can always find another Metallica later on. Probably still NIB from Stern in a year or so.

#9 11 years ago

Why not both? If it comes down to available cash, then sell one or two of your DE pins. I have heard that you can get crazy money on Ebay for them with the right autographs.

Or else get a second job to help pay for them.

Metallica looks like something special from Stern. With a little luck it could soar like ACDC. I like the metal ramps, the crazy toys, the wacky art and the proven designers working on it.

Predator could become that rare collector pin or it could drop like a turd if it is not fun. Hard to say without a track record from SkitB & Co. But I am also on the list for both.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

Why not both? If it comes down to available cash, then sell one or two of your DE pins. I have heard that you can get crazy money on Ebay for them with the right autographs.
Or else get a second job to help pay for them.
Metallica looks like something special from Stern. With a little luck it could soar like ACDC. I like the metal ramps, the crazy toys, the wacky art and the proven designers working on it.
Predator could become that rare collector pin or it could drop like a turd if it is not fun. Hard to say without a track record from SkitB & Co. But I am also on the list for both.

I liquidated!!

#11 11 years ago

I played Predator at the MGE......meh....

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I have to stick with my boys at Skit-B and say Predator. There are 3 levels of Metallica, and the limited has 400 (or is it 500?) being made. Predator is 250 TOTAL. You can always find another Metallica later on. Probably still NIB from Stern in a year or so.

I'm with her

#13 11 years ago

I am currently in on both. If I had to choose one now, Metallica all day. Predator is still a "wait and see" for me. Metallica is sold American.

#14 11 years ago

I just checked it out..I notice the original art on the PF, Stern is upping their game finally..

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I just checked it out..I notice the original art on the PF, Stern is upping their game finally..

Doubt that. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst. Stern's QC leaves a lot to be desired.

Rick. "I'm gonna have me some fun." #190

#16 11 years ago

I'm in for both. Met LE and a Pred. I have to say though, I think I'm more excited for Metallica right now, but that's very likely due to the fact that it's around the corner.

#17 11 years ago

I'd be amazed if a lot of people on the Predator list aren't struggling with this question. There's just way too many places these demographic lines cross for there not to be people who jump ship.

Who? Me? Oh hell no, thought never crossed my mind. What? No I ain't lying. That? No. Just had too much coffee this morning, is all. Seriously. All the way. Well yeah, there is the fact that the Pro will ship out actually under the price of Predator, but nope. Not me. Not even a kernel of that rattling around in this brain case. Move along.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I played Predator at the MGE......meh....

Could you say more than meh? What does that mean?

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

He didn't like it...he thought it was alright...who cares? ...at the end of the day, your own opinion is the only one that matters.

#20 11 years ago

I'd say a ton of people are struggling to figure out which pins they are going to sell to either get one or both plus ST coming up.....

We'll should see a ton of action...as good as this one may sell through I'm sure Stern has to be thinking about the cannibalizing of some of those AC/DC premium sales AND hoping that people unload prior pins to get both, should be interesting!

#21 11 years ago

It's funny to see this thread...I was looking at the other 'first pics' thread earlier asking myself this very question. Not a huge Metallica fan, but I do like most of their music. The pin however looks amazing, I'm really digging the LE version artwork and it looks fun. Buying both would stretch the budget away from other hobbies....damn you Stern.

I'll probably stay with Predator, but it'll be hard to read this forum through my veil of tears once the Metallica gameplay vids are posted.

#22 11 years ago

Lets see...

many Proven failures and obviously little care for the collector for more money

vs.

an actual adult theme from some real pinheads that are doing there best to cater to the collector for less money.

Is this really a thread???

Predator by a mile. If it sucks, I still had fun along the way. If you are concerned about 'staying power' you will be able to buy a new Stern for many years to come, but let go of Predator now and it could possibly be years before you even see one available to play let alone buy.

#23 11 years ago

I mostly agree. But it seems that Stern is reacting to competition in a way one might hope/expect. The Pro model looks like a real machine. To me, three years ago, with what it's got on board they might have released it as an LE and chopped down from there.

I'm going to stick with Predator, but I'd be a bald faced liar if I didn't admit Metallica looks awfully tempting. Like you say, I'll be able to buy Metallica for ever and this is probably my only chance at Predator.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Lets see...
many Proven failures and obviously little care for the collector for more money
vs.
an actual adult theme from some real pinheads that are doing there best to cater to the collector for less money.
Predator by a mile. If it sucks, I still had fun along the way. If you are concerned about 'staying power' you will be able to buy a new Stern for many years to come, but let go of Predator now and it could possibly be years before you even see one available to play let alone buy.

LOL I feel the opposite....a legit company who's made many great games vs. an unknown new outfit.

I was on the Predator list, but the layout didn't look that interesting, the dots/music didn't do anything for me (granted I know they can change/improve), I don't even really care about the movie, and the playfield art blows...ESPECIALLY in color (again, hopefully they'll fix this...but it won't change the boring line-up of badly drawn human characters). At the end of the day I think it's for die hard fans of that movie who wish a Predator pin was made in the 80's or 90's ...on that level I can see the appeal.

I didn't cancel Predator BECAUSE of Metallica...but, no regrets - super excited about Metallica!

#25 11 years ago

I will not begin to speculate which pin will be better neither is even out yet.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

At the end of the day I think it's for die hard fans of that movie who wish a Predator pin was made in the 80's or 90's ...on that level I can see the appeal.

Dont forget about chicks that hadnt even seen Predator until they got on the waitlist, but want something rare, with video-game achievements, buyer feedback, a care for product quality, and finished code (or at least not code that needs a year to be sorta finished.)

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Some people that jumped in on the hype train and aren't part of Predator or any other project feel the need to validate what they did by negating the others somehow...I guess it makes em feel good...

The SkitB guys are great and deserve the continued support for what they are trying to do...this is a really ridiculous thread...

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

super excited about Metallica!

hope it turns out as good as TF...

I actually hope Metallica pin rocks, but I personally think for the whopping $250 I have put down for Predator, that is the better bargain at this stage. If Metallica is good you could always buy it when it us actually out and you have played it. Hell you could probably wait, play it, buy it, play your own, sell it, and then use the cash for Predator when your slot arrives (if you had not jumped ship that is).

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

You are right,get the Predator now,buy a Metallica premium later.
Ask for a pony in your goodie bag as well for predator,blondetall gets one

#30 11 years ago

Not a big fan of Band Pins. AC/DC is good, but a friend that lives close has one. Predator all the way...these guys DESERVE our support. I'm sure Metallica will be a great pin as well. Star Trek is more up my alley. Er, basically, I agree with Blondy!

#31 11 years ago

I think a lot of predator people will have to jump ship if they sign up for an LE Metallica, but I doubt skit-B will hurt because of it. They have said they have nearly 250 people on the waiting list, and there are only 400 Metallica LE slots. So almost all of those would have to be predator buyers who jumped ship, and that's unlikely.

Now there can be unlimited pro's and premiums, but it would be illy to jump off predator for one of those, because they will be available for a long time. With Metallica demand, look for multiple runs like they did with acdc and Tron.

Right now, Metallica looks like the cooler game with more going on. Maybe Predator gets some layered "Special Force" type jungle plastics or something and the whole package looks better in the end, and there is much to be said about never having another opportunity to get one, but I have a feeling Metallica might join the ranks of truly great modern stern like acdc and Tron. Just my .02.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

but I have a feeling Metallica might join the ranks of truly great modern stern like acdc and Tron.

People had this feeling about Transformers, X-Men, etc...ya never know! We gotta look into that WOZ Crystal ball....

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

It means I absolutely love the theme but the game play left a lot to be desired. I played quite a few games. In fact here is Predator sitting at the Expo and I'm playing game after game and no one is in line behind me.

I was focusing strictly on the shots and rules....not the appearance. It's not a bad pin, just didn't do anything for me.

#34 11 years ago

There's Ted letting me do all the talking with a 'ditto' reply again.
I am still excited about my pony too.

#35 11 years ago

!

girl-says-talk-to-the-hand-smiley-emot.gifgirl-says-talk-to-the-hand-smiley-emot.gif

#36 11 years ago

Ted, you DO live on Pinside. You replied while I was trying to fix the weird quote thing. That has to be some sort of record. Lol.

#37 11 years ago

Yup

flash9.gifflash9.gif

#38 11 years ago

Neither.

I played Predator at last year and this year's MPE and don't get the hype or the draw.

Not into Metallica either, but the game does show some promise.

#39 11 years ago

Still on Predator. No question. Not a Metallica fan and not convinced by artwork... but I have to admit the game looks good. But I support Skit-B.

In the end, for a later purchase, I might hesitate between AC/DC and Metallica. Will have to play Metallica for a while before deciding.

Adding a poll might be interesting.

#40 11 years ago

This is not a very fair question to be asking because Metallica is a finished product and Predator is still in development. Not to mention neither machine is available for actual play right now. To answer your question ask yourself which theme do you like better. I would buy the one you like the most.

Now should I eat an apple or an orange

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Neither.
I played Predator at last year and this year's MPE and don't get the hype or the draw.
Not into Metallica either, but the game does show some promise.

Cool.

#42 11 years ago

Well with a theme I absolutely love and at 250 much less than Stern LE's I'm very comfortable with my decision to go with Predator. I heard it mentioned that the second run of Metallica Premiums may have a different cabinet and backbox art likely a year or two out. I really dislike the current premium art package. That way I get to play Metallica first if I love it I'll find a way to make that happen eventually. Premiums since they can be re-run will likely stay near the same price.

#43 11 years ago

Thanks for all the input....I know it is impossible to compare the two machines.
I played PRED at the MPE....and maybe because it wasn't "finished", it just really didn't do it for me or the other people I was with (granted, we are NOT great players). I am still waiting for the finished product to make my final decision. I was curious as to the interactive toys that are seemingly not interactive (yet), but I believe in the SKIT-B guys and believe they are pouring their heart and sole into this game and I think they have a great future ahead of them. Their pin will most definitely be great! Perhaps a little too "risqué" around my kids???

As for the Metallica, I am in no way a Stern fanboy...I only just got my first Stern (LOTR) a little over 3 months ago. I think it is awesome and have no problem adding another to my collection.

I LOVE Metallica (band) and really enjoy PRED.....maybe others are right? Sell my other games and stick with both!

***I have to keep in mind that even at a 5k price tag, to get PRED into Canada, I am looking at almost an additional 1k (border fees). Just something for me to think about....***

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

I have to keep in mind that even at a 5k price tag, to get PRED into Canada, I am looking at almost an additional 1k (border fees).

You'll be paying tax on Metallica as well. The same tax (HST).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-vs-predator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.