(Topic ID: 263349)

Metallica vs Deadpool. Which would you buy now?

By joelbob

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by sohchx
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you rather buy a Metallica or Deadpool Pro?”

• Metallica 66 votes
    51%
  • Deadpool 63 votes
    49%

(129 votes)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png

#1 4 months ago

I'm holding out hope that TMNT is real but if it isn't I feel like my money is either going to go towards a MET or DP. There was a previous post about this when DP first came out and the majority of people suggested MET. Now that the code has matured I'm curious if DP puts up a better fight. Thoughts?

#2 4 months ago

Met is an all timer. DP has been fun every time I played it.
MET

#3 4 months ago

I've owned both ..... I prefer DP but nothing wrong with Metallica either. I just find DP to be fun, I like the layout, I like the theme, and the rules are a good time

#4 4 months ago

I feel like Metallica probably single-handedly made me a better pinball player. Great, deep, rules and a couple shots that force you to master recovery skills (graveyard, coffin). The downside is that it is a bit wood-choppy.

Deadpool rules are super fun and the shots are well designed and varied. The katana ramp seems to need special attention to detail before its dialed in.

At the moment I'd take Deadpool if money wasn't a factor. If it was... Metallica all day.

#5 4 months ago

I prefer DP at this point but there is no wrong choice, both are in the Stern HOF for me.

#6 4 months ago

Metallica is the one Stern that seems to be droppng a bit in pricing.

Pro v Pro?

I'd want Deadpool.

Add in the nicer models and I swing towards Metallica.

#7 4 months ago

I’d put money aside, don’t have that sway your decision.
If comparing Premiums, the better pin with longevity? Metallica is a modern classic.
MET is never leaving.

#8 4 months ago

I guess I would have to go with Metallica, because I just bought a Deadpool last week!

#9 4 months ago

Love DP but I have to with MET.

#10 4 months ago

MET. Love it!

DP is a good game overall and fun to shoot, but the Stern game's childish/annoying vibe is a negative for me.

#11 4 months ago

Deadpool is my vote, appeals to all ages and genders

#12 4 months ago
Quoted from joelbob:

I'm holding out hope that TMNT is real but if it isn't I feel like my money is either going to go towards a MET or DP. There was a previous post about this when DP first came out and the majority of people suggested MET. Now that the code has matured I'm curious if DP puts up a better fight. Thoughts?

This is awesome because I am in almost the exact same boat. The only difference for me is that I have one more machine that is on my short list and that's Iron Maiden. My first choice is going to be TMNT because it and Star Wars are my Dream Themes but I don't think I would ever buy a Star Wars unless I got a helluva deal or I somehow come into a shit ton of money and can afford to get TMNT, Deadpool, Metallica, Iron Maiden and then Star Wars. But at the same time TMNT is still gonna have to be a great game to jump the other three that are ahead of my other dream theme in order for me to get it right away but I will at least wait until after it comes out and I spend some time on it before I make a move on any of them.

#13 4 months ago

Another way to put it I guess:-
MET - Big boy Toy - Adult
DP - Family Toy

The playfield art is pretty fantastic on both

#14 4 months ago

Both good tournament games. But I’m the minority opinion here, as I don’t like the Met game (love the music though). Try for yourself and see what you’d be happy with at home.

#15 4 months ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Deadpool is my vote, appeals to all ages and genders

Great for family sales maybe, but not necessarily for a lot of typical pinheads.

I don't have little kids and consequently tend to prefer games that are geared more toward adults. Give me MET's edgy theme and callouts over Deadpool's toned down family friendly (looking at you L'il Deadpool cartoons) features any day!

#16 4 months ago

Owned both. Metallicas music really got old fast and I am a fan of them. I sold both and I would buy another dead pool but I have no desire to get another metallica. Take out the music and metallica is better playing machine and really fun. Deadpool is really fun and silly game in a good way.

#17 4 months ago

Both are great games but MET sure is hard to beat and this is coming from someone that doesnt like the band. I just block the music out and dont pay much attention to it.

#18 4 months ago

Bought both and Metallica is still here. DP is fun to visit but the theme just didn't call me.
Music and Pinball go hand and hand for me. I am one of the few that are hoping Crue becomes a reality.

#19 4 months ago

I got real tired of hitting the snake mouth over and over! So,my DPLE works better for my play!!

#20 4 months ago

Cant go wrong with either. I own both. I've had met since 2013. Deadpool I picked up last year. Imo met is just pure adrenaline. The sounds and callouts just get my blood pumping and I see and hear nothing else as if I'm in the game. Deadpool is a masterpiece also. The sound quality and artwork blow me away. Great shots and gameplay are at your fingertips as this game packs it in. Imo it depends on what flavor you like your koolaid...
If I had to sell one, (glad I dont) it wouldn't be met.

#21 4 months ago

Premium Metallica for me. I love both themes, but the flow and rules of Met are better. IMO. If you want the most out of Met, hook up a nice sub. The spinner shots sound like a big drum roll, the hammer coming down sounds like a big bass knock... I still play it more than my brand new JP Premium that I love (and anything else in my fairly strong lineup). I plan on getting a DP premium at some point too, but if it's one or the other... Met is the no brainier for me.

#22 4 months ago

I own a Metallica and I voted for Deadpool. I played DP extensively in league and feel its a better game. Not that there is anything wrong with Metallica, but I like Deadpool better. Either one would be a good choice for a collection. In this case, it's probably best that you try and play them both before making a decision.

#23 4 months ago

Overall, I value the Playfield Layout and Game Rules more then anything else, so I'd go with Metallica, but it's not a runaway. I like both games. Here is my quick breakdown:

PLAYFIELD LAYOUT: Both are good, but I'll give the edge to Metallica.
GAME RULES: I like the battle modes in Deadpool more then any single rule in Metallica, but in total, I still prefer the rules in Metallica.
TOYS & GIMMICKS: Metallica has the Snake and Sparky. Deadpool doesn't really have anything, maybe the katana lock, so...Metallica.
ARTWORK: They were done by my two favorite artists, but I'm going to go with Zombie Yeti's work on Deadpool.
SOUNDS & MUSIC: I honestly don't really have a preference here. I'm not a fan of Metallica, but I also get annoyed with some of the "Hey Sabertooth, bush your saber teeth." type callouts.
THEME: It's personal, but I'd go with Deadpool.

They are also really close in the top-100.
pasted_image (resized).png

#24 4 months ago

I didn't like either game at first. The more I played MET the more I liked it until I had to own one. Years later, I'm still playing it more than my other games combined. Totally agree with anathematize, MET can be a bit wood choppy but still best modern day classic.

I'm liking Deadpool the more I play it but not getting hooked like I did on MET. Layout is a little clunky and after a few games I am ready to move on. It's one of those games I enjoy playing but don't feel any real desire to own one. If I was to trade out my MET for another Stern game, it would be JP or maybe IMDN.

#25 4 months ago

Both great games, but my pick is Deadpool. Metallica has a good layout, but it's also very vanilla...nearly identical to many other games. The rules are awesome up to Crank It Up. Then you realize that to get to EOTL you need to do it again, and again, and again, and again with literally no change to what you are doing to get to each. Don't dare start one of the coolest modes in the game, Seek & Destroy, or you will REALLY be back at square one. Chop chop chop that wood. But...the stuff you are doing is cool...and the CIU modes are very cool. So it's a tough call. The game has tons of personality, great art, and if you like the band, the music can't be beat.

Deadpool on the other hand has a very unique layout. Not quite as smooth of a shooter, but very satisfying with some unique shots. There is nothing else quite like it. Same with the rules...very unique. Yes, you do "repeat" the battles after Sauron, but with added shots to mix it up as you are battling each villain with Sauron. It feels like you are constantly making progress and building to the end, rather than running around the same track over and over like Metallica. This one also has great personality and artwork, and the A/V assets are awesome, especially if you like old school fighting games. Awesome game all around.

Can't really go wrong with either, but Deadpool gets the nod for the more unique layout and lack of wood chopping rules.

#26 4 months ago

For Pros Deadpool is better than Metallica but Metallica Premium is better than Deadpool Premium. I have a Metallica Premium in a 5-machine collection and I love it.

#27 4 months ago

I've owned a MET, loved it, enjoy DP every time I play it... if I were buying today I'd go with DP if I could find a used one, they don't show up often in my neck of the woods. They built a ton of MET's and those pop-up more often. If you're going NIB then whatever theme you'd like more I'd say, can't go wrong with either and I think right now both are holding their resale value quite well.

#28 4 months ago

I was not expecting a 50/50 split. Very cool to see!

#29 4 months ago
Quoted from joelbob:

I was not expecting a 50/50 split. Very cool to see!

You picked two of the best to choose between...it's a no lose situation really!

#30 4 months ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

You picked two of the best to choose between...it's a no lose situation really!

That would have been my vote.

#31 4 months ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Then you realize that to get to EOTL you need to do it again, and again, and again, and again with literally no change to what you are doing to get to each. Don't dare start one of the coolest modes in the game, Seek & Destroy, or you will REALLY be back at square one. Chop chop chop that wood.

That's the one part I really don't like about MET. You should never be penalized for starting a mode but that's exactly what happens in S&D. It's a really fun mode where you can score huge points. However, you instantly feel defeated because you know you just severely diminished your chances to proceed any further into the game. It's also annoying to start S&D during a CIU mode or mb. It can be impossible to know what shot to take for S&D when multiple shots are lit for other reasons. Be nice if MET had rgb inserts like later games to help sort out shots.

#32 4 months ago

I own both in pro form, but if I had to start over again I'd choose DP. Both great games though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside