(Topic ID: 50460)

Metallica Video # 6 Last one Glass off, Lights out!

By GAP

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by GAP
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Metled_005.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Thanks again!

#3 10 years ago

Good to know you can backhand the grave marker shot.

#5 10 years ago

Thanks for posting these! At 8:23 it cuts directly to the solo in an awkward way unlike the original song. Sounds like it's not the full song in the game... That kinda sucks. I wonder if the same goes for some of the other songs?

#6 10 years ago

That might be the "and justice for all mode". You get that when you spell Metallica by hitting the ramps.

#7 10 years ago

Great vid, and some pretty good playing too

#8 10 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to tape and upload this! Much appreciated!!

#9 10 years ago

Wow, The Unforgiven is a horrible pin playing song.

#10 10 years ago

Looks pretty fun, but in all the videos the music just sounds awful to me. Doesn't work with pinball like some of the other rock themes, in my opinion. I'm far, far from an AC/DC fan, but the music works quite well for pinball.

#11 10 years ago

I like the music, some fast, some slow. Some of the callouts are weak though...but it looks fun as hell to shoot

#12 10 years ago

The songs aren't integrated as well on Metallica for sure.. On AC/DC, you have hells bells and the bell to hit, the train shot, the cannon on For those about to Rock ("FIRE!").

Doesn't mean it's not going to be a good game, it's just noticable to me that the music doesn't mesh as well on Metallica. But then again, when we're comparing an early version of this game to one of the best games out there, I would expect some of this.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I like the music, some fast, some slow. Some of the callouts are weak though...but it looks fun as hell to shoot

I agree on the call outs, IE when you shoot sparky james says "electric chair!". kind of hokey. I was wondering what's next, hit the right ramp and hear james say "right ramp!". And it's going to take a while to get used to Sparky's voice- is it based on anything Metallica has done in the past or completely made up (Waison?). LOL.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

I agree on the call outs, IE when you shoot sparky james says "electric chair!". kind of hokey. I was wondering what's next, hit the right ramp and hear james say "right ramp!". And it's going to take a while to get used to Sparky's voice- is it based on anything Metallica has done in the past or completely made up (Waison?). LOL.

Sparkys voice is done by a "famous" guy, forget his name..some voice over artist guy...someone help me with his name?

#15 10 years ago

Thanks for posting this, Much appreciated.

#16 10 years ago

Great videos! Just curious if selecting a song at the beginning has any effect on the game rules like ac/dc?

#17 10 years ago

SHOW TIME !!

get MB Start up

Brenden Small does the Voice of Sparky and Snake

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Sparkys voice is done by a "famous" guy, forget his name..some voice over artist guy...someone help me with his name?

Brendon Small from Dethklok and Metalocalypse fame.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendon_Small

Love this one.

#19 10 years ago

Thanks a ton for the dark video, really helpful.

I've got some criticism, and I get that software changes, blah blah blah. Gonna call it like I see it now, not what it might be like later.

I've gotta say, I'm really questioning the sound choices on this one. The callouts are flat and lifeless and pushed way into the front. The song transitioning/looping is awkward, and the way it keeps playing your first choice all over again after every new ball or end of multiball with no jukebox mode means whatever you pick is what you're hearing your whole game.

Then there was the super WTF choice of putting a snoozer song like Unforgiven on there. I don't know a single post-Black album song, but of the albums I do know it's hard to think of a worse choice. It matched the energy of that gameplay about as well as ... I dunno, not at all.

I want to redub that video with like Battery or something, and then A/B that and the original for people and ask which one had the sound added, and which one was the real game!

Edit: I've got nothing but love for Brendon Small though!

#20 10 years ago

Nice video, thanks for posting!
Can't wait until one of these machines show up nearby. Can't say I am thrilled by music and callouts, but gameplay seems interesting. Nice animations as well.

#21 10 years ago

Idea for the music...

Pick Seek and Destroy to start your game (or whatever song). Song starts from the beginning. You get some kind of award for keeping the ball alive long enough to hear the whole song. Too long without hitting a switch (holding the ball) and no award. Maybe you get 2 "time" warnings for hitting no switches before you're disqualified for the award.

If you complete the song, just have the cool riff from the beginning of the song (or cool music only section of whatever song) loop for the rest of your ball.

NEVER start the song over like it's doing now. Have the song continue from where it was when you drained or started a MB or mode or whatever, or just have the riff play for the rest of your game after your first drain.

If you get ball 1 award for keeping the ball alive for the entire song, you pick a new song for ball 2. Keep the ball alive for the whole song, get a bigger award. And same for ball 3. So if you listen to 3 complete songs (long game) you get a cool award. Maybe same for Extra Balls. X amount of complete songs gets some super award.

...Just ideas

#23 10 years ago

Unforgiven was a terrible choice so many better songs.

Call outs kinda suck. Some are ok though.

Hopefully the song choice will affect something in later code.

I wish you could choose a different song per ball or that when the song ends the next one starts not just the same song repeats.

Excited to see the code updates as they come. I'm hoping for greatness still.

#24 10 years ago

Some people cant be pleased no matter what. Early code. Im fine with the callouts. Sounds like some are Lymans. Sparkys are great.

This is a blend of GNR style code and ACDC. If you want to hear different songs you have to earn it or pay for another game. Seems good for operators.

Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Unforgiven was a terrible choice so many better songs.
Call outs kinda suck. Some are ok though.
Hopefully the song choice will affect something in later code.
I wish you could choose a different song per ball or that when the song ends the next one starts not just the same song repeats.
Excited to see the code updates as they come. I'm hoping for greatness still.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Seems good for operators

agree. This game will do great on site.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Some people cant be pleased no matter what. Early code. Im fine with the callouts. Sounds like some are Lymans. Sparkys are great.
This is a blend of GNR style code and ACDC. If you want to hear different songs you have to earn it or pay for another game. Seems good for operators.

Will we be getting a review from you after a trip to quest to play the crappiest, non-tweaked, dirtiest machine out there on this title also?

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Will we be getting a review from you after a trip to quest to play the crappiest, non-tweaked, dirtiest machine out there on this title also?

If that's the only sample of the game you have access to without travelling hundreds or thousands of miles, that's the one you get to form an opinion on.

Fun fact, one of the joys of pinball is finding the little (and sometimes big) differences between how different examples of the same game play.

As long as you are up front with the condition of the game, it seems just as valid a review as any other. If the only way a game plays great is if it is HOU and has been tweaked for hours and hours... that's not the game most people in the world are playing. Sad but true.

#28 10 years ago

Might have missed it, but I haven't heard Enter Sandman on any of the videos yet. Is that one of the selectable songs? Being their most wide-reaching song, you'd think ES would be the default so the non-Metallica fans would have something they recognize.

Haven't heard End of the Line either, but I know why that is!

#29 10 years ago

Unforgiven was a huge hit. I would have liked to have Frantic instead as there is nothing off of St. Anger. Oh well there's always something to bitch about.

Lyman will make this game better. Might take a few more updates to balance it out

#30 10 years ago

Man, was so pumped about this pin, but after watching that, not quite as much anymore. It still looks cool and fun, but I actually fell asleep watching it because of the song selection. The Unforgiven totally takes all the energy out of the game. Like has been said before, the music transitions are anything but clean. Who knows, maybe it will get better, just not real excited any more about it.

#31 10 years ago

I was just telling my brother about the slow song "The Unforgiven" on the pin.
He immediately said, "If they wanted to use a slow song they should have used Nothing Else Matters".
For the mode they could have turned off all the lights but one or two shots, because nothing else on the game matters but those shots. All other shots score zero points during the mode.
Seems like a great idea to me.

#32 10 years ago

Why would they ever use Unforgiven in a pinball machine?? I love Metallica and I love pinball, but this was a bad choice by Stern & the band!

#33 10 years ago

for frigs sake! I like the mix up in tempo in the machine! it can't be 100 miles per hour, the entire game! i think this will replace ac/dc as my fav (if updates are any good) based on the pf layout, mb modes, and lack of cannon. it's going to be a heads up battle!!

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

for frigs sake! I like the mix up in tempo in the machine! it can't be 100 miles per hour, the entire game! i think this will replace ac/dc as my fav (if updates are any good) based on the pf layout, mb modes, and lack of cannon. it's going to be a heads up battle!!

+1.... It may not be my "ideal" song to play ALL the time...but if you want a nice mellow night to wind down....

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Why would they ever use Unforgiven in a pinball machine?? I love Metallica and I love pinball, but this was a bad choice by Stern & the band!

Not my favorite either, but I do think they needed to get some variety in the song catalog to appeal to as many people as possible. I'd personally strongly prefer Ride the Lightning myself, but I appreciate they that tried to mix it up and give songs with different tempos.

#36 10 years ago

Thanks for the video, Mike! The software is so in it's infancy and I trust Lyman will get it done right. He always does.
I think the songlist is great. They really focused on who Metallica really is. The first 5 albums.
Of course, Welcome Home(Sanitarium), The Four Horsemen, So What, and Am I Evil? would have been my choices, but who the hell on location would know those?
I am excited and I am sure alot of others are as well...
Great job, GAP!

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from ItsOnlyPinball:

Thanks for the video, Mike! The software is so in it's infancy and I trust Lyman will get it done right. He always does.
I think the songlist is great. They really focused on who Metallica really is. The first 5 albums.
Of course, Welcome Home(Sanitarium), The Four Horsemen, So What, and Am I Evil? would have been my choices, but who the hell on location would know those?
I am excited and I am sure alot of others are as well...
Great job, GAP!

Ditto! Great job Mike! I, for one, really appreciate you showing this game in various lighting with different song choices. I can see myself playing this game at night, in the dark, with Unforgiven rumbling out of my speakers. I am not always in the mood to "rock out" every time I play pinball. As the code progresses on this game, I see it flying up the Pinside rankings faster than WOZ. I believe Stern is going to sell a shitload of these. Lights, music, art, call outs and fast play make this game the "complete" package for my personal taste.

#38 10 years ago

Congrats on the game and thanks for uploading some vid.

#39 10 years ago

Thanks for posting the videos

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Love this one.
» YouTube video

Quoted from mnpinball:

Love this one.
» YouTube video

Sweet video. Looking forward to the Metalocalypse pin!

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Probably slow the game down too much on location for newer players, maybe make it selectable in menu options?

#42 10 years ago

Just a heads up we will be getting in 5 Metallica Pros in next week if you looking for one right away.

GAP

#43 10 years ago

Thanks for the videos, Mike. Watching them made me go to Enchanted Castle at lunch today to play a few games. Loved the gameplay, shots, songs, etc. Looking forward to my LE arriving!

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

I actually agree with this comment. The transition from slower song to faster gave me the idea that the player actually started a mode and that the game is building more and more intensely.

I would have liked to have seen their instrumental songs used for background music and the other songs for modes, rewards, mb's.

#45 10 years ago

Im just hoping they eventually change the code to allow you to pick a new song between balls, not just games. That seems like a no brainer to me???

#46 10 years ago

New code new video??

#47 10 years ago

I enjoyed hearing "Unforgiven" as one of the main non-mode songs. I wouldn't want many ballads in a Metallica game, but it's nice to have an option to take a breather. Similar to how I've always loved the music for There and Back Again in LOTR. It's a fierce battle to get there, and you're rewarded with some solace.

1 week later
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-video-6-last-one-glass-off-lights-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.