Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sparky_tab-359.jpg
sparky_after.jpg
sparky_before2.jpg
sparky_before.jpg
#1 10 years ago

My Sparky worked great when I initially received the game, but after about 100 plays it started working intermittently. Sometimes would not work during multiball start but then shake during a jackpot. Diagnostics proved to be the same thing... when it worked it made me wonder what the heck was going on during the game...sofware? connector? Then that stopped working so I chalked it up to an intermittent failure that went full.

Patrick at Stern explained to me that Sparky works by energizing the coil as a magnet which pulls the steel plate toward the coil, and if the coil is firing (you can hear it), then odds are the steel plate is too far away from the magnet to pull it and thus Sparky won't shake.

Investigating it further the key is a little metal tab at the top of an L-bracket that is thin enough to get bent over time, and it just needs to be straightened. Easy solution to a not-so-easy troubleshooting session.. Well let's just say it's not all that easy to get behind Sparky, but the repair can probably be done without touching a screw. I decided to take the whole mech apart and shot pics of it to share.

sparky_before.jpgsparky_before.jpg sparky_before2.jpgsparky_before2.jpg sparky_after.jpgsparky_after.jpg
#2 10 years ago

Great info - thanks!

#3 10 years ago

Thank you for posting; is there enough clearance when this mech is installed to allow for tacking some thin but less flexible metal to the part that was bent via rivets or similar?

Just curious, if this is not a one off and a person has to keep doing this what a permanent fix would be...

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Thank you for posting; is there enough clearance when this mech is installed to allow for tacking some thin but less flexible metal to the part that was bent via rivets or similar?
Just curious, if this is not a one off and a person has to keep doing this what a permanent fix would be...

If I were to guess it came from the factory a little bent... and the intermittent behavior that I saw meant that a hair's difference in space meant the low powered magnet worked or not. There is very little pressure being put on that tab except when Sparky is moving it may tap it... just that it's not exactly easy to bend by hand, so I'm hoping it is good for a while. I think if needed foam tape can be used as a spacer but while the tab is small, it's not something that would break off. Here's a better pic of the tab itself.

Sparky_tab-359.jpgSparky_tab-359.jpg

#5 10 years ago

Ah, I can see it better now. Given how thing that piece is, I would not be surprised one way or the other if it bent again (depends on the force of the mechanism when the magnet stops and it "shoots" back to its default position obviously).

But since it is essentially acting like a little hammer, hitting this small spot over and over again... it is not unexpected that it would give eventually. We'll have to see how many people are searching for this fix in the future.

Thank you again for posting.

#6 10 years ago

if the tab were a bit more substantial, there probably wouldn't be any issues (but the fact that it starts right at the end of the piece that it rests against doesn't help). I'll bet that stern used an existing part as the bracket but given that the sparky mech is a larger and heavier than a drop down switch or something like that, there is more force being applied and causing the tab to bend.

from your other photos, it appears that the L-shaped bracket with this tab is mounted with 2 screws from the bottom. a replacement bracket should be easy to manufacture and eliminate the issue altogether by extending the piece (by the width of the metal below the tab) by another 1/2"-5/8" and eliminate the tab altogether

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

a replacement bracket should be easy to manufacture and eliminate the issue altogether by extending the piece (by the width of the metal below the tab) by another 1/2"-5/8" and eliminate the tab altogether

I agree... The tab could imply the needed flexibility to adjust forward and back depending upon game to game variation in distance from Sparky, but if it is essentially designed to be at a 90 degree angle, one has to wonder why it isn't full length in the first place.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks. That little metal bendable plate was also making the difference between my Nightcrawlers working or not. The release mechanism uses the same principal to release and let the NC's drop back down.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I agree... The tab could imply the needed flexibility to adjust forward and back depending upon game to game variation in distance from Sparky, but if it is essentially designed to be at a 90 degree angle, one has to wonder why it isn't full length in the first place.

The more times you bend metal the weaker it gets so it will bend back easier every time you do this and it will eventually break.
When it does just fabricate a stronger one.

#10 10 years ago

This coil setup is similar to what is used on EM relays banks. This is one of the adjustments you have to do to relays that won't pull in on EMs. Except, on those relays, there is a metal loop that rests against the moving plate in lieu of that bent tab.

#11 10 years ago

Looking at that again it looks like bending it @ the 90 would be better than the tab.
It looks like you did a little when you bent the tab.

#12 10 years ago

There was a discussion as well as pics of a brand new sparky coil i got from stern in this topic

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/noob-question-metallica-pro-sparky-doesnt-shake-at-start-of-multiball

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-sparky-repair-101 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.