(Topic ID: 142299)

Metallica songs...hissing/static/distortion?

By Pinfactory2000

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I noticed on my met there is a bit of hissing/static/distortion in the songs. If I turn up the volume and listen closely (head near speakers) I can hear it. It's particularly pronounced on the intro 'for whom the bell tolls'

Not really an issue but when I plug in headphones it, obviously, blocks out other noise and makes the sound more annoying.

Anyone else experience this? Thanks for confirming or denying my insanity.

#2 8 years ago

Weird my METLE does not do this I would check your speaker connections and how/where the wires are run.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Weird my METLE does not do this I would check your speaker connections and how/where the wires are run.

Have you listened with headphones to 'bell tolls'? I have had the pin for >1 year and never noticed it until the other day when I tried headphones...

#4 8 years ago

Anyone else have a met? Can you turn up for whom and listen close to the speaker...see if there is any distortion, hiss etc? Thanks!!

#5 8 years ago

Anyone else with a met? I've checked all wiring and it looks good. Can someone with a met listen closely to 'bell tolls' for me? Big thanks.

1 week later
#6 8 years ago

Just wanted to bump this and see if at least one other met owner could confirm this for me? Would be hugely appreciated. Really want to see if there is something wrong with mine. Thanks much

#7 8 years ago

Nope mine doesn't do it, sounds good.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Nope mine doesn't do it, sounds good.

Cool thanks for checking. So you turned on 'for whom the bell tolls' and put your head close to the speakers and its crystal clear when the bell sounds right, no artifacts etc? Thanks again

#9 8 years ago

How loud are you talking on volume? The sound is no where near CD quality to begin with.

As an aside - I would love love love a PinSound board for this title.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from ToddSonOfOdin:

How loud are you talking on volume? The sound is no where near CD quality to begin with.

I would say mid level...40 or so? all else is quiet in the gameroom...Head close to speakers...

I didnt notice it until I got a headphone connection for it and when listening through headphones its more noticeable...I pulled the headphone connection to see if it was that. Turns out it wasnt...

My KISS, with a similar headphone/sub setup doesnt have ANY hiss or artifacts in the sound...

What exactly is 'pinsound' I've never paid attention to it in the past...Thanks

#11 8 years ago

So get one. No one is stopping you.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

I would say mid level...40 or so? all else is quiet in the gameroom...Head close to speakers...
I didnt notice it until I got a headphone connection for it and when listening through headphones its more noticeable...I pulled the headphone connection to see if it was that. Turns out it wasnt...
My KISS, with a similar headphone/sub setup doesnt have ANY hiss or artifacts in the sound...
What exactly is 'pinsound' I've never paid attention to it in the past...Thanks

I just tested mine at 50, there is no background noise on the intro to FWTBT. There's a crackle to the sound itself, but I just chalk that up to the audio mix.

Kiss runs a newer boardset called SPIKE while Metallica runs an older boardset called SAM. SPIKE is 2 channel and capable of CD quality sound while SAM is mono and not as high fidelity.

Pinsound is a replacement sound board with a better amplifier and 2.1 capability. However, it also requires a separate HD mix of the audio tracks in addition to the ROM, of which few games have been done.

Quoted from markmon:

The website doesn't show compatibility for Stern? I was also hoping for a HD mix already done, perhaps without the songs to get around copyrights.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

PinSound in a SAM game? Did I miss something?

And to the OP: Yes I've noticed that on my LE too.

#14 8 years ago

There's a crackle to the sound itself, but I just chalk that up to the audio mix.

exactly what I hear, 'crackle' is a much better term...THANK YOU so much for checking...I think! I wish it were an issue actually so I could get rid of it!!

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

And to the OP: Yes I've noticed that on my LE too.

Great. Thanks so much for checking

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 29.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 29.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-songshissingstaticdistortion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.