Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images_1_(resized).jpg
headexpl_(resized).jpg
the_four_horsemen_(4x)_(resized).jpg
blackened_(resized).jpg
Blackened_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

I'm looking to switch out some of the songs, but I want to know what songs are not practical to switch out? Are some of the songs imbedded in the dots that they'd look out of place if they were replaced?

Are any songs off limits in your opinion?

#2 8 years ago

I am about to do the same.

#3 8 years ago

I switched Unforgiven w/ Wherever I May Roam and swapped Sad But True w/ Aint My Bitch and I'm happy now. I found the rest to either tie into modes or not have close enough song durations to match the song needing to be swapped out.

I used this guys guide for songs that tie into modes and other info.

http://toddnappi.blogspot.com/2015/06/metallica-pinball-swapping-songs.html?m=1

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I switched Unforgiven w/ Wherever I May Roam and swapped Sad But True w/ Aint My Bitch and I'm happy now. I found the rest to either tie into modes or not have close enough song durations to match the song needing to be swapped out.
I used this guys guide for songs that tie into modes and other info.
http://toddnappi.blogspot.com/2015/06/metallica-pinball-swapping-songs.html?m=1

thanks for the info.

Just because a song like Fuel is on the playfield/mode that doesn't preclude replacing the song does it? I mean technically the front end songs are for listening in the background. When you hit fuel it doesn't effect the song playing is what I'm saying. So theoretically if I don't like the song Fuel it's not really tied to the gameplay is it?

I was watching the tutorial and for example Seek and Destroy is tied to that CIU mode with animations. CUI Fade to Black has a call out, but other than that it's not especially tied to that mode?

#5 8 years ago

I don't think it will really matter what you do, but I have a thing about continuity and if theres a Fuel mode, I want a Fuel song to go with it. I definitely didn't want to change any of the CIU mode songs that play during those modes either. I personally suggest only changing the songs on that list I sent you that say "No" under the "Is Song name of Mode or on Playfield?" column, but since its your game, do what makes you happy of course

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I don't think it will really matter what you do, but I have a thing about continuity and if theres a Fuel mode, I want a Fuel song to go with it. I definitely didn't want to change any of the CIU mode songs that play during those modes either. I personally suggest only changing the songs on that list I sent you that say "No" under the "Is Song name of Mode or on Playfield?" column, but since its your game, do what makes you happy of course

No, I appreciate the help that's a good list you made.

I'm just wanting to see what I can safely get away with changing

I'm not a purist, I have AcDc and changed on some non-AcDc songs, but kept continuity, to give you an example 'Rock and Roll Train' (a song which I have no attachment to) changed that to 'Nightrain' (by GNR) and the song fits the train theme.

I don't want to make any ones head explode but I'm contemplating putting some non-Metallica songs.

#7 8 years ago

I just got the pin but on your list of say 'Fuel' hurry up. So when you enable that mode does the song play? will replacing that song make the sound effects on the game different during that hurry up?

I'm mainly trying to replace the front end (background songs) but don't want to mess up the in-game cues or displays that are tied to a song.

For example 'One' or 'Unforgiven' have nothing to do with the pin at all and can be safely removed. Just trying to find as many safe songs as possible.

#8 8 years ago

Bump for the day crowd

#9 8 years ago

The four Crank It Up modes (FWTBT, FTB, Battery, and ES), Fuel, Seek & Destroy, Blackened, and End of the Line are the only songs tied to modes that relate to animation and call outs.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

The four Crank It Up modes (FWTBT, FTB, Battery, and ES), Fuel, Seek & Destroy, Blackened, and End of the Line are the only songs tied to modes that relate to animation and call outs.

Thanks.

#11 8 years ago

This is helpfull I need to re-do this

#12 8 years ago

I put Johnny Cash Sam Hall in for sparky multiball...

#13 8 years ago

Does 'Fuel' song ever play in a game mode or is it just a call out?

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Does 'Fuel' song ever play in a game mode or is it just a call out?

It plays during FUEL mode. It will override your gameplay song, but if other things are running, like a multiball or S & D, those get priority.

#15 8 years ago

This was helpful. About to change songs. One thing to note is if you don't care about animations not matching you can change songs easy enough but I believe you can change the text displayed for the modes..though any callouts may not match. So I am still looking at options to change more songs that could fit existing callouts and animations. It is also possible to create your own callouts and add those. Lots of options to tweak to ones liking.

3 weeks later
#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Fuel, Seek & Destroy, Blackened, and End of the Line are the only songs tied to modes that relate to animation and call outs.

What is the reference to Blackend in the pin??

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What is the reference to Blackend in the pin??

The guitar pick mode is called Blackened. There's a huge animation with big block letters that say BLACKENED when it starts. It's obvious that it was originally intended to be Four Horsemen because the rest of the animations and sounds for the mode involve the four band members on horses with lots of horse sounds. I can't remember if there's a "Blackened" call out from James because I always seem to start Blackened when something else has priority.

I pulled the pic below from Pinball Browser.

Blackened_(resized).jpgBlackened_(resized).jpg

#18 8 years ago

Thanks

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I don't want to make any ones head explode but I'm contemplating putting some non-Metallica songs.

YOU WANNA DO WHAT??
Man I really wish they made a head exploding emotion

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

YOU WANNA DO WHAT??

Don't worry, I changed my mind it'll be 100% Metallica.

Since I bought the pin I bought the first 4 CDs and really like their early music.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

The guitar pick mode is called Blackened. There's a huge animation with big block letters that say BLACKENED when it starts. It's obvious that it was originally intended to be Four Horsemen because the rest of the animations and sounds for the mode involve the four band members on horses with lots of horse sounds.

blackened_(resized).jpgblackened_(resized).jpg

which is why I did this and made a macro for pinballmiked for someone that requested it
the_four_horsemen_(4x)_(resized).jpgthe_four_horsemen_(4x)_(resized).jpg

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

blackened_(resized).jpg
which is why I did this and made a macro for pinballmiked for someone that requested it

That's cool.

I'm guessing it's a rare mode to get to.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

blackened_(resized).jpg

But that won't work with ColorDMD, correct?

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

YOU WANNA DO WHAT??

headexpl_(resized).jpgheadexpl_(resized).jpg

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

But that won't work with ColorDMD, correct?

I don't think so. it's possible that someone could just apply my macro for the 2 frames and re-flash their game with the [new] rom, but if ColorDMD re-colored those 2 frames, then it would look a bit messed up

#26 8 years ago

I have zero Metallica songs in mine

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

It's a great game. Make the music be whatever you enjoy otherwise you won't like the game. My acdc has no acdc songs otherwise it would have been sold.

#28 8 years ago

It has justin timberlake and Dave Brubeck

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

It has justin timberlake and Dave Brubeck

I'm trying to imagine Take Five or Blue Rondo in that machine. I freaking love Brubeck but that's some weird Pinball music.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Oh yeah!

images_1_(resized).jpgimages_1_(resized).jpg

#31 8 years ago

And this song

#32 8 years ago

I'll be replacing these songs, not so much that I dislike them, but more so that they're a bit mellow or just aren't dark enough. I know One is a good song, but I'm not a fan of it in the pin.

Also I just now listened to MOP for the first time, maybe I've listened to the songs before or heard them. But I mean I've been listening to the CD over and over for the past week to see what I like.

The changes:

One -- The Four Horseman (about the same time)
Fade to Black - Am I Evil? (this is a longer song but has a 2 1/5 minute intro which will be cut down by a minute or so)
Unforgiven - The thing that should not be (same time)
Sad but true - Welcome Home Sanitarium (need to trim a minute but the song has a 90 second ending)

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'll be replacing these songs, not so much that I dislike them, but more so that they're a bit mellow or just aren't dark enough. I know One is a good song, but I'm not a fan of it in the pin.
Also I just now listened to MOP for the first time, maybe I've listened to the songs before or heard them. But I mean I've been listening to the CD over and over for the past week to see what I like.
The changes:
One -- The Four Horseman (about the same time)
Fade to Black - Am I Evil? (this is a longer song but has a 2 1/5 minute intro which will be cut down by a minute or so)
Unforgiven - The thing that should not be (same time)
Sad but true - Welcome Home Sanitarium (need to trim a minute but the song has a 90 second ending)

Those are some good choices. I play to The Four Horsemen most of the time.

#34 8 years ago

So,I just bought my Met Pro and had no idea that I could change out a few of the songs.Id love to take a few of the slower ones out and replace them with Whiplash,Damage Inc,Dyers Eve,you know,the more heavy faster stuff.
How do you do this?Is it hard to do?

#35 8 years ago

Replaced all , with 15 LED ZEPPELIN . Songs . Great change!

#36 8 years ago

I changed following songs

Creeping Death replaced with Ride the Lightning (for the Sparky Multiball)
Ride the Lightning replaced with Creeping Death
The Unforgiven replaced with Whiskey in the Jar

The songs are quieter as the original rom songs...

But now i tweak all the songs... --> Flac to wave --> also increase the volume

And now it's perfect for me... - you can't set the music volume to minus (-xx) because the bonus sound will cut and not fade! - but with this replacement i have the full sound pressure

Maybe i have to add 4 horsemen...

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

So,I just bought my Met Pro and had no idea that I could change out a few of the songs.Id love to take a few of the slower ones out and replace them with Whiplash,Damage Inc,Dyers Eve,you know,the more heavy faster stuff.
How do you do this?Is it hard to do?

You need pinball browser to change the songs. There is another thread with all the details. Pretty simple and if you need help just ask....plenty of help to get you started.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 149.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-song-replacemnts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.