Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by sadler28
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hey guys, I am having an issue with my new Metallica Premium pinball. Has around 300 plays, and about 100 plays ago it started developing a strange issue. Every 4-5 plunges or so, the ball will get caught up on the rails that are right after the drop off from the shooter lane. Many times it will strike this area and not go into the pop bumper area which is a bit frustrating.

I have tried to bend the posts a little, but they don't budge and I don't want to break something either.

I took a slo-mo video of the problem - any advice or help would be great- thank you.!

#2 8 years ago

It looks like just as the ball enters the picture, it is being sent into the right side of the lane and bouncing to the left. Like another thread recently suggested, make sure the ball is resting evenly against the two sides of the auto plunger and the plunger tip is centered on the ball.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

It looks like just as the ball enters the picture, it is being sent into the right side of the lane and bouncing to the left. Like another thread recently suggested, make sure the ball is resting evenly against the two sides of the auto plunger and the plunger tip is centered on the ball.

Thanks for your response- are you suggesting that I make sure I center the plunger on the ball during shooting, or make a physical adjustment to the machine itself? Sorry, I'm a pinball newb but I am learning !

#4 8 years ago

You can physically adjust the plunger if it does not appear to be centered on the ball. If you loosen the screws inside holding the shooter housing and adjust, sometimes just a teeny bit, then re tighten.

#5 8 years ago

Is it doing it on a manual plunge, or autolaunch?

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Is it doing it on a manual plunge, or autolaunch?

It will happen on both - manual and auto.

#7 8 years ago

I have had seen similar issues on mine. Basically my plunger isn't centered to the ball. Check that visually first. I noticed I had a bit of slop between the playfield and the sides of the cabinet. Pushing the playfield to one side to help center it basically confirmed the issue.

I unfortunately didn't find a pure fix yet for mine. I just re-adjusted my shooter rod tonight as yzfguy described. But check out those things first.

#8 8 years ago

I had a similar issue with my Metallica, after I moved it from one part of the house to the other. I had Re-leved the playfield and began having plunger/autolaunch issues with the ball bouncing around in the shooter lane. Wound up being that although the play field was level, I had the casters in such a way that slightly twisted the cabinet. Was barely noticeable, and hard to pinpoint. I was spinning my wheels for a minute before I realized.. Something to check possibly before you further dig in to adjusting mechs themselves. Good luck!

#9 8 years ago

HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM-IT WILL HAPPEN TO BOTH MANUAL AND AUTO

#10 8 years ago

Need to make the same type of video but do it at the ball launcher and see what the ball does from the start. Might be ping ponging down the lane from the start.

#11 8 years ago

Ok, so I checked out the plunger. Weird thing is the rubber tip is "cock eyed" if that makes sense LOL.. as you rotate the plunger, the tip of the rubber kind of looks "wobbly" and goes from center to pointing left, to pointing right. I messed with it and the back of the rubber is not fully seated on the metal plunger, but but it is clearly not perfectly flush at all, but now it looks better. I also bent the autolaunch a bit, but it didn't give much. Hard to describe obviously.

I tried a few games and they were improved, but it still did the same thing. It even caught air on the end of the shooter lane ramp ended up on the backboard area. It bugs me because during multi ball autolaunches it gets caught up a lot and thats a lot of rejected balls coming down the play field vs going through the poppers.

#12 8 years ago

Call stern help desk and ask them before you break something.

#13 8 years ago

Do you have a shooter eject cliffy protector? My pro had an issue that when the ball was plunged it would do crazy stuff because it was hitting the corner of the protector as I had it in to far. If you have a cliffy, move it closer to the trough to avoid contact with the ball.

1 week later
#14 8 years ago

Just a heads up I've completely fixed this issue. I had to replace the factory rubber shooter tip and then bend the auto plunger metal prongs a bit. Haven't had a problem since. These NIB games definitely need tweaking right out of the box..

#15 8 years ago

The auto plunger design on these Sterns are a joke. The amount of sided to side play at the pivot point due to the one sided hinge on them is ridiculous.

#16 8 years ago

This happens on my new one as well.

#18 8 years ago

Just had the same problem come up over the weekend. Auto fire still works great. Only happens using the shooter rod. Have a new rubber tip coming. Hoping that solves it! Machine has very few plays on it. Only had it since late Nov 2015. My distro has been extremely helpful which is cool

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 29.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-shooter-lane-rejection-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.