• Latest reply 11 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Jackson.jpg
james-hetfield-metallica-so-sold-out.jpg
There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 11 years ago

I have seen a few threads on this lately but have yet to see anything official from any company, of course the rumor say's Stern to build it.

Does anyone actually have proof or good evidence that this pin will actually be built or is this just rumors once again?

#2 11 years ago

It's true, here's a super secret look at the translite :

james-hetfield-metallica-so-sold-out.jpgjames-hetfield-metallica-so-sold-out.jpg

#3 11 years ago

LOL...Damn, it's not the old Metallica.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

I have seen a few threads on this lately but have yet to see anything official from any company, of course the rumor say's Stern to build it.
Does anyone actually have proof or good evidence that this pin will actually be built or is this just rumors once again?

Avengers wasn't made official until what, a couple of weeks ago? Even though many, many people knew it to be happening for several months beforehand. Metallica is the same way. A lot of people have credible sources but can't quote them or name them publicly. And Stern won't officially announce it until weeks before the game is released.

#5 11 years ago

I know... But honestly, if they made a pin for Metallica (like everyone has been saying) using the old music, it would be so sick. But I have no faith in that happening, and know they will cherry pick all the crap from after the black album with 'maybe' one song from Kill em all.

Too hard to support a band like Metallica now. LOVE their old stuff, but everything now just feels forced and cliche. I'd rather blast some official Metallica music while I play my pins to be honest (which is what I'm gonna do now, )

#6 11 years ago

Still a rumor.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

LOL...Damn, it's not the old Metallica.

+1

It all changed with the Black Album.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

I know... But honestly, if they made a pin for Metallica (like everyone has been saying) using the old music, it would be so sick. But I have no faith in that happening, and know they will cherry pick all the crap from after the black album with 'maybe' one song from Kill em all.
Too hard to support a band like Metallica now. LOVE their old stuff, but everything now just feels forced and cliche. I'd rather blast some official Metallica music while I play my pins to be honest (which is what I'm gonna do now, )

Every thread about a Metallica pin someone says this. It just shows how out of touch you are with their current state. Go look at any recent setlist from the past couple of years, and you'll see a complete lack of post-Black album songs, except Death Magnetic, which isn't a bad album at all. Their setlist is heavily favored towards pre-Black album. The pin will be no different.

#9 11 years ago

this game in my opinion is a bad move for stern ! metallica are not as popular as the stones or ac/dc and they have alienated their fanbase to no end . iron maiden would be a much better choice . the visuals alone plus the music ! just my opinion . and i do own a record shop .

#10 11 years ago

and by the way flashburn there last studio album was called lulu . a huge flop ! . i am just not sure if title would be strong enough in general . even iron maiden would have a limited fanbase ! and anyone is kidding themselves if the soundtrack to the game was not stocked full of songs from load and the black album . just my opinion

#11 11 years ago

Will there be a special Napster edition where it will download MP3s to your Ipad?

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from rockfantasyman:

and by the way flashburn there last studio album was called lulu . a huge flop ! .

lulu is not considered a studio album in the traditional sense, it is a collaboration album. I would like an Iron Madien pin as well but in no way would that be a better choice as far a popularity is concerned.

#13 11 years ago

I'll take a Metallica LE sight unseen!! Would be great sitting next to my AC/DC BIB,& GnR!!

Smashing through the boundaries
Lunacy has found me
Cannot stop the battery

Pounding out aggression
Turns into obsession
Cannot kill the battery

#14 11 years ago

Seems like its made to go right next to a WOZ in a collection....

#15 11 years ago

Megadeth

#16 11 years ago

Keeping fingers crossed for a Metallica pin!

#17 11 years ago

It is interesting that everyone always brings up Iron Maiden. Do you realize Stern already made that Pin? Not that I would ever buy NIB Stern post 2003, too much money for such poor quality.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from baltistyle:

Not that I would ever buy NIB Stern post 2003, too much money for such poor quality.

You might be missing out on some very fun machines.

Those classic Sterns are super easy to work on and very easy to bullet-proof.

#19 11 years ago

and by the way flashburn there last studio album was called lulu . a huge flop ! . i am just not sure if title would be strong enough in general . even iron maiden would have a limited fanbase ! and anyone is kidding themselves if the soundtrack to the game was not stocked full of songs from load and the black album . just my opinion

No, it wasn't. Lulu was a side-project. End of story.

Your "limited" fanbase statement is a joke. They continue to sell out massive stadiums world wide.

Also, here is their latest set list:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/2012/city-park-new-orleans-la-33dd5ca1.html

Can you count the number of Black/Load/Re-load/St Anger songs? Yeah... that's what I thought. Think before you speak next time.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from baltistyle:

It is interesting that everyone always brings up Iron Maiden.

Quoted from PEN:

I would like an Iron Madien pin as well but in no way would that be a better choice as far a popularity is concerned.

I think along the lines of this rethemed one which i believe is what he means
--> http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=iron+maiden&sortby=name&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#5190

#21 11 years ago

Loren - The rumor is real and they'll definitely be doing it. From what I understand it won't feature any of Metallica's REALLY old stuff though so love it or hate it, there ya have it

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Loren - The rumor is real and they'll definitely be doing it. From what I understand it won't feature any of Metallica's REALLY old stuff though so love it or hate it, there ya have it

Yeah... right. There's NO WAY it won't include songs from their first four albums.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from baltistyle:

It is interesting that everyone always brings up Iron Maiden.

Maiden, like KISS, has a trademark "look and feel" with the Eddie character.

When you think of Maiden, you can't help but think of Eddie and the Brit flag.

When you think of Metallica, you can't help but think of Lars whining in the documentary Some Kind of Monster.

If you like Metallica, but have not watched that movie - DON'T !!!!

#24 11 years ago

Metallica is confirmed... You heard it here 1st...

#25 11 years ago

Thanks Justin for the heads up....now only if we can get some kind of idea on what 10-15 songs will come with the theme. It will make it or break it for many potential buyers (myself included)

I assume the band will tell Stern what music will be allowed but I do hope they can see that there is a large push for the older songs with maybe a small number of newer titles.

Any idea on when Stern wants to make this official?

When AC/DC was announced, didn't they give us all a good idea of what songs would be included with the pin?

#26 11 years ago

I am only interested if the playfield has a huge picture of cliff burtons face like AC/DC.

#27 11 years ago

I heard it from the mouth of.........XXXX BXXG

#28 11 years ago

What I want to see is a Pink Floyd pin. Imagine the imagery from their repertoire that could be used on the playfield...

#29 11 years ago

It's going to be BRUTAL!!

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You might be missing out on some very fun machines.
Those classic Sterns are super easy to work on and very easy to bullet-proof.

I am not sure I understand. Is a classic Stern a NIB? Selling something as very easy to bullet proof means that it does not come that way. When I buy a car and the salesman says "very easy to add brakes and tires" I would probably look at my alternatives. This doesnt mean I wouldnt own a late model Stern, Just not NIB. I cant speculate with a company that is less than truthful with their customers. Im a wait an see type of person. The horrible experiences of the many have made it easy for me not to want or need anything new..in box. Think of all of the AC/DC premium and LE owners that have "different" lower playfield windows. Stern DeValued those owners by creating a proper lower playfield window. Sure, some will say they are happy with whatever they own... And I am not a Stern hater, I just think they can do better. I would much rather buy a high quality machine at a high price than a machine that is working with "answering machine" technology at Cell phone pricing.

and to make this pertinent to METALLICA, screw those greedy a$$es. Are we even allowed to talk about them without paying a royalty. I heard they will be able to remotely download all of the audits from the machines and get paid for each song completed or sampled for more than 15 seconds. The user will have never ending costs of ownership After you play it will ask for more money.

Please take this with a grain of salt

#31 11 years ago

I was a huge Metallica fan back in the day but, unless most of the songs were from their first 4 albums and had no band member images, I'd likely pass.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from baltistyle:

I am not sure I understand. Is a classic Stern a NIB?

Classic Stern is usually though of as 1977-1982 games.

#33 11 years ago

They are working on a new album. My guess is that any Metallica pin would coincide with that release (2014 sometime).

I grew up in the bay area and saw them a few times live in their early days where they would scream for everyone to bootleg their concerts. It was a great way to get the exposure. But its left a really bad taste that they would take such an opposing stance once they've made it. No telling how fervently they will chase violators now that they bought the rights to their catalog. I would hate to be the poor licensing manger at Stern and have to work with these guys.

#34 11 years ago

Will be getting a NIB Metallica if the focus is on the early days (Kill Em All through Black Album). Would love to see a Ride the Lightning/Master of Puppets/And Justice LE.

#35 11 years ago

How would a "Monsters of Rock" Pin work? Group together some of the great bands from different eras. Licensing nightmare?

#36 11 years ago

They could make the game mimic their career as a band. It could start out really fast and brutal until you get the "buy Mustaine a bus ticket" mode. Then it would slow down except if you kept hitting the "steal another Mustaine riff" shot which would keep it playing fast. Then after the "Cliff dies" mode it would slow way down and start playing elevator music. The only way to redeem the fast gameplay and good music at that point would be to advance to the "make the bus fall on Lars instead" wizard mode.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from jints56:

How would a "Monsters of Rock" Pin work? Group together some of the great bands from different eras. Licensing nightmare?

Might have to have all the artists from the same label to make it easier.

Rap artists are often featured on each others albums, sometimes every song has a different performer.

Or the old "you know your career has jumped the shark when you appear on an album with BB King, Santana or a philharmonic..."

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from Zdoor:

Seems like its made to go right next to a WOZ in a collection....

Actually, WOZ and the Pink Floyd would be perfect together!

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Or the old "you know your career has jumped the shark when you appear on an album with BB King, Santana or a philharmonic..."

LOL

#42 11 years ago

this game in my opinion is a bad move for stern ! metallica are not as popular as the stones or ac/dc and they have alienated their fanbase to no end . iron maiden would be a much better choice . the visuals alone plus the music ! just my opinion . and i do own a record shop .

This is pretty spot on, there music does not have a broad appeal. If you like metal great this pin is for you, but Ac/Dc is classic rock and a bigger older fan base. I loved them as a kid/teen been to over a dozen shows and live in the same neighberhood as James, with all that said I have not listened to a metallica cd in years. I have grown out of there music I guess. I would buy this game because I can handle there hits and was a huge fan, but you can't tell everybody here could stand to here "one" fifty million times, I can handle that not sure a non diehard fan could.

I would buy it if it was unique from Ac/Dc but if it has a jukebox and similar setup I will pass. No way it sells like Ac/Dc.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

This is pretty spot on, there music does not have a broad appeal. If you like metal great this pin is for you, but Ac/Dc is classic rock and a bigger older fan base. I loved them as a kid/teen been to over a dozen shows and live in the same neighberhood as James, with all that said I have not listened to a metallica cd in years. I have grown out of there music I guess. I would buy this game because I can handle there hits and was a huge fan, but you can't tell everybody here could stand to here "one" fifty million times, I can handle that not sure a non diehard fan could.
I would buy it if it was unique from Ac/Dc but if it has a jukebox and similar setup I will pass. No way it sells like Ac/Dc.

I was thinking the same thing. But, had friends over Saturday night for some beers, pinball and shooting pool. One of the wives was playing ACDC and jamming away and mentioned "It would be awesome if they made a Metallica pinball". She was all excited when I told her there was one coming out. My buddy is now obligated to his first pin purchase...

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from baltistyle:

I heard they will be able to remotely download all of the audits from the machines and get paid for each song completed or sampled for more than 15 seconds.

There's no way they would go thru this much trouble. The machine will simply require the player to use another credit (a buy-in) in order to continue play after each snippet of a song was played, and the op would have to pay the royalty (10% for the op, 10% for the site, 80% for the royalties). Talk about stop and go play. Much more suited for an Oursler design than a Ritchie.

Home owners of the pin would likely get a Blackened Records branded jackboot print on their front door when they come to collect the royalties the owner wasn't paying.

#45 11 years ago

Metallica does not do it for me. I'd much rather have AC/DC.

#46 11 years ago

I'm on board with a Metallica pin as long as they abandon the jukebox thing that was done with AC/DC and Rolling Stones and of course... no enter sandman/one or played to death songs.

Most of Metallica's songs are theme related..Drugs, Sanity, Justice, Death. Those should be the modes that then set up the audio tracks/sub modes. Collect them all to start the wizard mode.

-c

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

They are working on a new album. My guess is that any Metallica pin would coincide with that release (2014 sometime).
I grew up in the bay area and saw them a few times live in their early days where they would scream for everyone to bootleg their concerts. It was a great way to get the exposure. But its left a really bad taste that they would take such an opposing stance once they've made it. No telling how fervently they will chase violators now that they bought the rights to their catalog. I would hate to be the poor licensing manger at Stern and have to work with these guys.

Oh for god's sake. They never fervently chased anyone. They sued Napster because Napster refused to remove their commercial releases from its service when Metallica asked that they be removed. The result of the suit (as well as another huge suit that involved 18 record companies, both of which Napster lost) was that any artist who wanted to have their music pulled from the service from then on could do so. Like for example the much smaller artists who could never afford to fight such a battle, and whose livelihoods were probably more dramatically impacted by the piracy. Ever notice how tons of YouTube videos get pulled all the time for copyright infringement from television networks, record labels, bands etc? How is it any different? I don't blame the band or anyone else for trying to protect their work, personally.

As for live bootlegs, Metallica has been one of the most taper-friendly big bands for the majority of their career, with dedicated taper sections at their shows, many free live show downloads on their site, etc. I've never heard of them frowning upon or trying to shut down live show bootlegging specifically. Screaming out "bootleg this concert and give it to your friends" to 100 people at a club in 1982 is a lot different than having to watch your entire catalog -- decades of your hard work --easily stolen by hundreds of thousands of people with the click of a mouse.

Obviously as time has proven there is no real way to fight p2p, torrents, etc and music piracy is still rampant, but I think coming into the situation at the time without a lot of internet savvy, the band reacted in a somewhat understandable way. And now that 12 years have passed it seems like a pretty ridiculous thing to continue to hold over them, or to bring up in a thread about a pinball machine. As if it hasn't been debated into the ground a million times all over the internet already.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

the band reacted in a somewhat understandable way

Overreacted might be a better word.

#49 11 years ago

they should have retired after puppets. everything else was a serious joke. newsted getting on board was the beginning of the end. just like hagar with van halen.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 149.00
$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 25.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-rumor-or-real and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.