(Topic ID: 51322)

UPDATED: Metallica RULES (how to play pro v. 1.51 rulesheet)

By movingpictures

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 164 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Monk
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140607_193013.jpg
fuelallday.jpg
battery_crank.jpg
METPro-ShotMap.jpg
METPre-ShotMap.jpg
METLE-ShotMap.jpg
mppl_size.jpg
There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

Update coming this weekend for new code !

Have you played the new code yet?

1 week later
#102 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Have you played the new code yet?

I wish. I'm starting to think it doesn't exist.

As an aside, last night I had all 4 balls trapped on the Sparky magnet in the shape of a cross.
I had Coffin going, and started Sparky.

Even better than the time I had a 3-ball train trapped on the Grave Marker magnet !

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from mufcmufc:

I'm pretty sure there is a Jackpot in the fuel lane too, I saw Jackpot 20m+ flash up at some point during S&D

Theres a jackpot there for FUEL mode, and on combos. Dunno bout SnD...

I don't play Metallica much anymore Coffin MB is annoying to lock, and the lack of anything substanital for scoring except for multiballfest is starting to wear on me. SnD is a nice thing to try for but by the time I get it I'm tired of all the damn multiballs, and it's scoring on its own is outweighed by a multiball 4x rampage.

Now stacking SnD and MB's is pretty fun i know...

2 weeks later
#104 10 years ago

This thread is super helpful - quick question, if you are playing on location, how can you figure out what code is on a machine? Should I turn it on and off? Gotta try some of this on the one at Gestalt here in SF tonight!

#105 10 years ago

Yes Genex, turning the machine off and then on again will tell you what the current software is on the DMD.

Quoted from genex:

This thread is super helpful - quick question, if you are playing on location, how can you figure out what code is on a machine? Should I turn it on and off? Gotta try some of this on the one at Gestalt here in SF tonight!

3 weeks later
#106 10 years ago

Bumping the thread so that somebody can explain the scoring on the pop bumpers. Does the scoring grow as you shot the ball back up there? What do the numbers on the DMD signify as the ball bounces around in the pop bumpers? Got my machine last week and still trying to get all the rules down. It seems more complicated than AC/DC at this point but I will probably figure it out in time.

After you hit the grave marker drops how can you make your bonus multiplier grow? I have seen 6 X once or twice but I have no idea how it got to that point...

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Bumping the thread so that somebody can explain the scoring on the pop bumpers.

The numbers count down, and when completed, each one has a corresponding insert below the fuel lane.
Hitting the fuel lane with an insert lit awards you some insignificant amount of extra points per light (25,000 I think)
In summary, they are completely pointless in the current code.

Quoted from Jodester:

After you hit the grave marker drops how can you make your bonus multiplier grow? I have seen 6 X once or twice but I have no idea how it got to that point...

After grave marker multiball is finished, hit any ramp or loop to refresh the drops.
Knock em down again to increase your multiplier.

#108 10 years ago

Right AJK. Also, even with the drops down, the grave marker stand-up target behind them will increase bonus X as long as the gravemarker target is being registered for qualifying gravemarker multiball.

The numbers count down, and when completed, each one has a corresponding insert below the fuel lane.
Hitting the fuel lane with an insert lit awards you some insignificant amount of extra points per light (25,000 I think)
In summary, they are completely pointless in the current code.

After grave marker multiball is finished, hit any ramp or loop to refresh the drops.
Knock em down again to increase your multiplier.

#109 10 years ago

Glad I asked. I would have never figured that out on my own. The game is so damn fast it's hard to follow prompts on the DMD.(Or directions)

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from SolarRide:

Right AJK. Also, even with the drops down, the grave marker stand-up target behind them will increase bonus X as long as the gravemarker target is being registered for qualifying gravemarker multiball.

This is correct to my knowledge. Shots to the cross immediately following cross MB won't do anything (which is when I smash it like 5 times in a row), but shots that progress to cross MB will add bonus X even if they aren't drop target shots.

Has anyone fully analyzed the drop target reset logic in terms of knocking down crosses in another MB? If you have a few targets down you can progress the next drop target or two in a MB, and when that MB ends the targets wont reset on a 'reset' shot, but if you start the cross targets from scratch in another MB and shoot a 'reset' shot after that MB ends, they reset the progress - can you hit cross shot prior to the 'reset' shot and actually lock in the progress achieved in MB?

#111 10 years ago

It's not so much that they reset the progress, rather they become fillers (that only award bonus x) and progress toward Gravemarker mb is resumed when you start hitting the grave marker stand-up target after re-clearing the drop targets. I THINK any shot where the snake insert is lit (except for the gravemarker shot itself) will reset the drop targets in single ball play.

The answer to your ending question is Yes. You just have to be careful not to hit a reset shot during single ball play or you will get the fillers in your way again (fillers which award bonus x). Now if the number of shots required to start grave marker mb is less than the number of drop targets which are raised, the drops become fillers (fillers for mb, but always rewarding bonus x until mb is started). So the drop targets take on a dual role: they make progress towards mb if more shots are required than the number of drop targets standing in your way to start gravemarker mb and become fillers if less than or the same number of shots are required (for the same number then the grave marker stand-up will be flashing when the last drop is cleared).

Thank you.
Solarride.

Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

This is correct to my knowledge. Shots to the cross immediately following cross MB won't do anything (which is when I smash it like 5 times in a row), but shots that progress to cross MB will add bonus X even if they aren't drop target shots.
Has anyone fully analyzed the drop target reset logic in terms of knocking down crosses in another MB? If you have a few targets down you can progress the next drop target or two in a MB, and when that MB ends the targets wont reset on a 'reset' shot, but if you start the cross targets from scratch in another MB and shoot a 'reset' shot after that MB ends, they reset the progress - can you hit cross shot prior to the 'reset' shot and actually lock in the progress achieved in MB?

#112 10 years ago

How to play 1.22??? Unplug machine, wait 5 months for code....

1 month later
#113 10 years ago

Question about FUEL...

I understand that completing FUEL standups advances the gauge. But are there modes awarded (double scoring) already at the first FUEL completion? And/or later FUEL completions? That is before the gauge is at max.

Are ALL modes/jackpots started/collected via the dead end shot? Or are anything started by FUEL completion/gauge completion?

Does awards qualified at the dead end time out? Can you qualify double scoring and let it sit till it pleases you to collect it?

What is added to the FUEL champion high score?

#114 10 years ago

Bump.

C'mon, somebody gotta know.

Pinballnews have not made their marathon walkthrough yet. Perhaps they wait for a more finalised game code to arrive.

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Question about FUEL...

I understand that completing FUEL standups advances the gauge. But are there modes awarded (double scoring) already at the first FUEL completion? And/or later FUEL completions? That is before the gauge is at max.

Are ALL modes/jackpots started/collected via the dead end shot? Or are anything started by FUEL completion/gauge completion?

Does awards qualified at the dead end time out? Can you qualify double scoring and let it sit till it pleases you to collect it?

What is added to the FUEL champion high score?

I know other threads have covered this, but don't have them bookmarked. In short...
- Each time you spell FUEL, you advance the FUEL meter and qualify one timed 2x scoring via the dead end (purple light). I don't believe the ability to start 2x scoring once qualified is on a timer.
- Start 2x scoring by shooting the dead end. Reset the timer for 2x by shooting the dead end again (very similar to ACDC bell, except there is no additional level for 3x scoring).
- 2x scoring can be combined with Snake 2x scoring during MB's.
- Completing the FUEL gauge with enough spelling of FUEL qualifies Fuel mode. Start Fuel by hitting targets again. Fuel mode timer is shown via fuel gauge on DMD as well as on PF.
- Fuel jackpots are collected at dead end (I think).
- I don't know of other jackpots collected at dead end -- Sparky, Snake, Grave, and Coffin MB jackpots are at their corresponding shots and not the dead end.

I don't own one, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

#116 10 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

I know other threads have covered this, but don't have them bookmarked. In short...
- Each time you spell FUEL, you advance the FUEL meter and qualify one timed 2x scoring via the dead end (purple light). I don't believe the ability to start 2x scoring once qualified is on a timer.
- Start 2x scoring by shooting the dead end. Reset the timer for 2x by shooting the dead end again (very similar to ACDC bell, except there is no additional level for 3x scoring).
- 2x scoring can be combined with Snake 2x scoring during MB's.
- Completing the FUEL gauge with enough spelling of FUEL qualifies Fuel mode. Start Fuel by hitting targets again. Fuel mode timer is shown via fuel gauge on DMD as well as on PF.
- Fuel jackpots are collected at dead end (I think).

Correct. Fuel mode has two things going on: Fast scoring and jackpots. Jackpots are collected in the dead end, and is relit by hitting the fuel standup. The standup raises the jackpot and the fuel switch scoring at all times I believe.

- I don't know of other jackpots collected at dead end -- Sparky, Snake, Grave, and Coffin MB jackpots are at their corresponding shots and not the dead end.

There is a combo jackpot lit at fuel during any combo, it grows depending on the length of the combo.

A coffin jackpot is at the dead end as well and is required to collect to light the super.

1 month later
#117 10 years ago

Here's hoping movingpictures is furiously typing up 1.5 rules right now!

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from callmesteam:

Here's hoping movingpictures is furiously typing up 1.5 rules right now!

I think he should wait till the next update.( the 2 songs & whatever additions that are included )

#119 10 years ago

I'm still really looking forward to Pinball News finishing up their article with "all the rules".

#120 10 years ago

Working on it guys, but so many new deep rules and lack of time are making it difficult....

#121 10 years ago

Working on it guys, but so many new deep rules and lack of time are making it difficult....

Your efforts are appreciated by many. Thanks!

#122 10 years ago

I wouldn't even bother doing anything other than playing and having fun for a couple weeks, since the more rules are around the corner.

#123 10 years ago

I've added my discoveries so far.
More to come I'm sure

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

I think he should wait till the next update.( the 2 songs & whatever additions that are included )

Or is it four songs? The two voted on ("RTL" and "Blackened"), plus "My Apocolypse" and "The Four Horsemen," which were discovered in the text tab in the Pinball Browser.

#125 10 years ago

Note: If Seek & Destroy is running, CIU will end the mode. If you want to continue S&D, choose the option for 5,000,000 points at the top of the CIU menu

Is this confirmed? I started CIU last night with SnD running and James's countdown restarted at 10...9...8.... while CIU ran. I can't confirm the SnD points were being awarded but the timer was certainly still running...

#126 10 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Or is it four songs? The two voted on ("RTL" and "Blackened"), plus "My Apocolypse" and "The Four Horsemen," which were discovered in the text tab in the Pinball Browser.

I'm thinking it will be four songs, as one for each band member mode would make sense. If this is true, which song do you think will be for each member? I'm thinking Lars = Four Horsemen, James = RTL, Kirk = Blackened, and Robert = My Apocalypse. Pure speculation though.

#127 10 years ago

Is this confirmed? I started CIU last night with SnD running and James's countdown restarted at 10...9...8.... while CIU ran. I can't confirm the SnD points were being awarded but the timer was certainly still running...

I saw the option to bank 5,000,000 besides starting a CIU mode but wasn't sure why. So maybe.

#128 10 years ago

Thought I'd contribute what I think I know.

CIU mode goals (all CIU scoring can be doubled by 2X playfield AFAIK):

For whom the bell tolls:
All inserts unlight, cross inserts flash. Goal is to make each shot 3 times to light cross, snake, chair for jackpots. (Think Jericho)
Once a lane is complete, points awarded are reduced by about ~75% on that shot
Light all inserts for completion bonus (25 mil I think?)

Fade to black:
All inserts light
Certain number of switch hits award jackpots.
I believe one shot will have all inserts flashing for a jackpot - changes randomly after collecting. (?)
Enough jackpots dim lighting down to 'black' for mode completion bonus (?)

Battery:
Bash sparky a bunch (12?) of times. I know very little about this one, but I believe it's the lowest scoring mode. Mode completion is only 15 mil I believe.

Enter Sandman (By far most difficult mode but most fun imo.)
All inserts unlight, three random inserts will flash. Shoot the lit insert to 'lock' it in for a jackpot (multiple inserts on one shot lock multiple inserts and award multiple jackpots)
EVERY switch hit (ie missed shot) will randomly cycle the lit inserts, changing what you are shooting for next.
Shooting on the fly and amassing an appreciable bonus is extremely difficult in the early shots
Light all inserts for completion bonus.

CIU jackpot:
Hit Sparky, Cross, Snake, Coffin to light the 4 main inserts again and light CIU jackpot in the scoop. Shoot scoop to choose to collect the jackpot or continue CIU mode. CIU jackpot is based on jackpots scored during the mode and is affected by 2X playfield scoring.

Mode completion Bonus:
The mode completion bonus is NOT added to the CIU jackpot by default (an adjustment can make this so).
I don't know if it is affected by 2X playfield

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from Bearded_Warrior:

I'm thinking it will be four songs, as one for each band member mode would make sense. If this is true, which song do you think will be for each member? I'm thinking Lars = Four Horsemen, James = RTL, Kirk = Blackened, and Robert = My Apocalypse. Pure speculation though.

Coffin will be moving to a death magnetic song if Borg's past statements on a podcast ring true. It makes sense since right now 'for whom the bell tolls' is being used for two modes, and I doubt the CIU mode is changing as there are sound clips and dots associated with it.

I was kinda hoping for all nightmare long, but My Apocalypse would be a VERY close second imo...

#130 10 years ago

After CIU Jackpot is collected in the scoop, single ball play resumes, with all spider arrow shots lit orange (premium - dunno about what pro does to indicate). Collecting all orange arrows lights CIU scoop for a jackpot worth 1/4 the CIU score you pulled out of the mode (I believe). The lanes then relight and this will go on as an available scoring opportunity until you drain. I assume this can be doubled by 2X PF

This does not seem to carry into a multiball (so no 4X), but is still available after a multiball is over.

No clue about what happens with another CIU mode on the same ball.

#131 10 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I heard that Four Horsemen and My Apocolypse were requested by Stern. Metallica said no, we want the fans to vote and thus, the web poll.

#133 10 years ago

I manually got to EOTL to see how it works, some notes which might help.

After completing 3 of the 4 CIU modes and shooting the shoot for the 4th you get to start EOTL.

it starts as a 2 ball multiball.

all arrowed shots are Red, shooting each arrow changes it to green, once you have them all done one of them turns Teal, shooting this breaks through the end of the line on the DMD, and launches off a cliff.

that adds another ball and repeats the process. you can do this until you have all balls running and then you are just collecting massive jackpots.

all the main shots light up the 4 indicators on the bottom half of the playfield and once you have all 4 they go dark again and you can repeat it. i didn't notice if that grants any special bonus or not.

This was done on a premium.

#134 10 years ago

I made a basic video touching on the basics of the gameplay (more for people new to the game).

#135 10 years ago

Finally got to play 1.5 last night on a Prem/LE. Fantastic stuff!
I'll add some additional observations to CIU...

Fade to black:
All inserts light
Certain number of switch hits award jackpots.
I believe one shot will have all inserts flashing for a jackpot - changes randomly after collecting. (?)
Enough jackpots dim lighting down to 'black' for mode completion bonus (?)

Between the spinners and pops, orbit shots pay off big in this mode.
Completion bonus for FTB is 15M base, and completion bonuses are NOT affected by jackpot values you collected during the mode. Yes, it can be doubled with 2x scoring running.

CIU jackpot:
Hit Sparky, Cross, Snake, Coffin to light the 4 main inserts again and light CIU jackpot in the scoop. Shoot scoop to choose to collect the jackpot or continue CIU mode. CIU jackpot is based on jackpots scored during the mode and is affected by 2X playfield scoring.

Note that in the choice presented on the DMD to you to collect the CIU jackpot (ending the mode) or continuing, the CIU jackpot value displayed is the BASE value, prior to being multiplied by 2x. Had a 47M FTB CIU jackpot that I chose to cash in, and my actual award was 94M!

Mode completion Bonus:
The mode completion bonus is NOT added to the CIU jackpot by default (an adjustment can make this so).
I don't know if it is affected by 2X playfield

Mode completion is indeed affected by 2x PF. (see sk8ball's video where he gets a 30M FTB completion bonus).

#136 10 years ago

Super Skill Shot - Holding the left flipper activates the super skill shot to any major shot. One lane will have all inserts flashing, hit it to start the hurry up and have a chance to complete the lane.

The Skill Shot is very nuanced and cool now!
Correction to above: if you hit the one "all inserts flashing" super skill shot -- let's call this one the Super Hurry-Up Skill Shot -- it immediately <qualifies> that hurry-up, but doesn't start it (so you can take your time stacking up qualified hurry-ups if you want the mega-points cash in).

Additionally...
- Any Super Skill Shot (not just the Super Hurry-Up) adds points to the base value of your next Skill Shot. I believe the Super Hurry-Up Skill Shot adds a higher amount of points to the base value.
- By holding the left flipper button, you can now skillfully plunge the upper left rollover lane for 2x Skill Shot, or the upper right rollover lane for 4x Skill Shot.
- I believe hitting the dead end lane for your Super Skill Shot will immediately qualify a 2x playfield upon your next shot to the dead end.

1 month later
#137 9 years ago

i'm still discovering rules on this pin...
the only things i'm sure at the moment is that pin is top notch !

(and topic up)

#138 9 years ago

Updated for v1.51 !

Thanks to all for contributions, I have included them in the rule sheet where appropriate.

The closest I have made it to EOL is 3 CIU modes complete.
This EOL is extremely difficult to achieve and truly has earned the name of WIZARD MODE.

1 week later
#139 9 years ago
Quoted from JimBoSS:

I made a basic video touching on the basics of the gameplay (more for people new to the game).
» YouTube video

Apologies, I moved my Youtube video and the link is broken,

unfortunately I can no longer edit my post so here is the link again.

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

CoOl !!
One of the thing i would Love to see in there is a timed multiball restart.

Quoted from swampfire:

"Shoot FUEL lane to restart multiball", and then a 15 second countdown - that would be awesome.

I Really hope there will be something like this in the next code .

#141 9 years ago

Before you make the rollovers and get some Award...when you shoot the ball in the scoop it simply gives you back the ball I would like it to say things like, Nothing here for you Loser .

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from JimBoSS:

Apologies, I moved my Youtube video and the link is broken,
unfortunately I can no longer edit my post so here is the link again.
» YouTube video

Great video thanks for posting.

1 week later
#143 9 years ago

I'm learning the rules, but one has me stumped. On my premium, the spider(?) insert turns blue on the last shot you made. What is the significance of this? Sorry if I missed this if it was previously mentioned. I did a search and found little information about these inserts other than they light red for combo shots.

Rob

#144 9 years ago

I dont have a prem, but i believe that is the lit shot for seek and destroy mode. The inserts for cross/snake/sparky on the lit lane will turn on when u shoot the respective shot.

Basic example:
Spider/arrow on left ramp is lit, and the sparky insert isnt lit.
If you hit sparky, it should light the sparky insert on the left ramp.

This is how you progress to seek and destroy mode. And it also helps progress towards the crank it up modes.

#145 9 years ago

Correct! When it turns blue on, say the left orbit shot, you lock that shot so that you are able to light Sparky, grave, etc inserts on that same orbit. When an insert is lit solid, like sparky insert on the left orbit, that orbit shot counts as a sparky shot towards "Crank it up" also.

Knowing the inserts light rules on Metallica makes a huge difference. The game goes from good to Awsome right there

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Correct! When it turns blue on, say the left orbit shot, you lock that shot so that you are able to light Sparky, grave, etc inserts on that same orbit. When an insert is lit solid, like sparky insert on the left orbit, that orbit shot counts as a sparky shot towards "Crank it up" also.
Knowing the inserts light rules on Metallica makes a huge difference. The game goes from good to Awsome right there

Lock the shot?

Rob

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Lock the shot?
Rob

Aside from the snake inserts, you can only light inserts under a blue/purple spider.
(You work on 1 set of inserts at a time)
You'll notice that the spider is at: left loop, cemetery, left ramp, right ramp, and right loop.
To light/move a blue spider, make one of those shots.
So... If you have the left loop blue spider lit, and you hit sparky, the sparky insert will light up. If, instead, you miss the sparky and hit the right ramp, the blue spider will now be lit at the right ramp (only 1 blue spider is lit at any one time).
Once you have a whole row of inserts lit, you have to make that shot again, and then hit the hammer block to cash in on the hurry up.
Complete all the rows of inserts to start seek and destroy mode.

Frustrating thing is when you're working on a row, and then hit a grave marker. You'll see that you have then moved the spider so need to make your initial row shot once more to continue working that row again.

Make sense?

#148 9 years ago

Yes, thanks for the clarification on the rules.

Now if I could just stop airballs off sparky's feet.....

Rob

#149 9 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

Before you make the rollovers and get some Award...when you shoot the ball in the scoop it simply gives you back the ball I would like it to say things like, Nothing here for you Loser .

"Hey man, it's empty!"
"The snake ate all my loot!"
"Sssssssorry, sucker!"

#150 9 years ago

I love the 'Noooooo!' quote on a side drain. It sounds a lot like Otto from the Simpsons...

Rob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 12.95
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,600 (OBO)
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-rules-how-to-play-pro-v-106-rulesheet/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.