• Latest reply 5 years ago by bobzilla
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

Hey guys I have basically new Metallica Pro, roughly two weeks old. I was playing it Today and noticed The Right Flipper is making a "squeak" noise every time it's activated.... Additionally does not seem to have the same thrust it use to. ANy suggestions, is there something I should grease, check etc. Thak you for any help I'm still new to this

#2 6 years ago

DON'T GREASE OR OIL ANYTHING.

I'd check that the plunger assembly moves freely, especially both ends of the plastic link that holds the pawl to the plunger.

I'd be sure you have a tiny bit of up and down play on the flipper ( not back and forth ) so the pawl isn't binding on the nylon bushing the flipper shaft rides in.

And I'd remove the coil stop, slide the coil off, remove the coil sleeve, check that it and the plunger are clean.

Should be simple to figure out once you investigate a little.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Its a tribute to most nib Stern owners

#4 6 years ago

So everything is moving smoothly what is the cool stop? Please forgive me still learning here thankyou!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

So I took off the left clamp on the rounded bushing and cleaned it, there was a bunch of gunk in it... works fine no squeak

#6 6 years ago

what kind of "gunk" did you find? that seems odd for a machine that's only 2 weeks old to accumulate stuff in the nylon bushing. after time, you will notice shavings from the coil stops in the cabinet (from the repeated hammering that they take). however, coil stops are relatively cheap and can be easily replaced every 1-2 years (depending on how much use the machine sees

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

what is the cool stop?

See the end of the coil in your pictures where the wires are, and the plunger goes in and out ? The coil stop is on the opposite end, two bolts or screws hold it on.

If you ever get confused by a part name, you can always look at any of the parts suppliers - Bay Area Amusements, Planetary Pinball Supply, Pinball Life, Marco - and do a search and you'll get pictures.

#8 6 years ago

So never mind still squeaking, I just found some black stuff, interesting more in this flipper than the left and the left gets used more. Also The actual noise is occurring on paddle going back to the normal position for being engaged... this up release of the flipper button not on press

#9 6 years ago

So never mind still squeaking, I just found some black stuff, interesting more in this flipper than the left and the left gets used more. Also The actual noise is occurring on paddle going back to the normal position for being engaged... this up release of the flipper button not on press

I am guessing the flipper needs to be gapped properly.

#10 6 years ago

DCFAN any resources you could point me to, in order to do that? Thanks !

#11 6 years ago

any resources you could point me to

Quoted from LTG:

I'd be sure you have a tiny bit of up and down play on the flipper ( not back and forth ) so the pawl isn't binding on the nylon bushing the flipper shaft rides in.

or - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers scroll down to the 17th post.

#12 6 years ago

dcfan any resources you could point me to, in order to do that? Thanks !

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/right-flipper-sticking-stern-acdc

If you grab the flipper bat by hand, you should be able to pull it up and down (away and toward the playfield) just enough to feel a click. If it does not have that play/gap then the flipper does not tend to move as freely as it should because of binding/rubbing.

#13 6 years ago

I had this happen on my TWD and nothing seemed to improve it besides buying a new plunger, link and crank assembly for $15.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1512

#14 6 years ago

Interesting MikeS thanks for the tip, I'm going to check the gap and if that is not it I will most likely follow your suggestion

#15 6 years ago

I had a similar issue recently on the left flipper of my somewhat new MET pro (bought late last summer). It worked okay until after a few minutes of playing. Flipper would stick up about halfway and slowly settle back down. I tried cleaning it, replacing coil sleeve, and even the coil. You could hear some kind of binding or squeek sound when moving the plunger by hand. I eventually took everything apart and removed the flipper. I gave the flipper rod a wipe with a rag, put it all back together, and that fixed it. Butter smooth now and has been so for many games. I have no idea what the problem was because it played fine for months.

1 year later
#16 5 years ago

I’m knew to pinball and just got my first machine in today. I bought a used 1 yr old Ac/Dc. This is happening to left flipper button. It’s squeaking like a loud bird chirp. The previous owner changed the flipper buttons out to LED buttons. Any recommendation on how to fix this?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Conifer, CO
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations
Other
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
NinjaCamp Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Battle Creek, MI
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-right-flipper-squeaking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.