(Topic ID: 153653)

Metallica RGB inserts do not work. Totally stumped. HELP!

By Troutfarm

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by shovelhed
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

750fe7ae57162257f61d2d8a064eed8f35bcc6a4_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
Stern_LE_LED_Board_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

I have a serious problem, My NIB Metallica Premium RGB inserts have not worked from day one, I have had the RGB/GI lamp board replaced, the data cable replaced, the CPU board replaced. Even Stern cannot give me an answer to the problem. Just throwing it out there to see if anyone has had problems with the RGB inserts and might have an idea of where to go next. Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

Every connector plugged in? I had a couple unplugged on my new in the box. Check your fuses?

#3 8 years ago

everything seems fine.. and there is power to the rgb/gi board because the GI is fine..

#4 8 years ago

How long have you had the game? What does Stern recommend?

#5 8 years ago

got it in November from Pinball Refinery.. Stern supposedly has the engineers on it.. but its been weeks already. They have provided new boards.. they are as helpful as they can be I guess, but I am starting to lose my patients.

#6 8 years ago

Trout power to the inserts is different than gi. Have you put a multimeter up to your cpu/power driver board? Also have you contacted Gio and picked his brain?

#7 8 years ago

I replaced the cpu/power board, the RGB board is getting power.

I have only been talking to Gio and Steve to accelerate communication with Stern when weeks go by with no communication.

#8 8 years ago

Under warranty so I'd just ask that they send a tech at this point. May even be less expensive for them rather than shotgun in parts at it.

Other option would be to ask for them to replace the game. Really suprised the refinery guys let it out of there shop like that as I assumed they tested the games after modding them.

Wish I could be more help but I've got no clue outside what's already been replaced. Could be a short in the cable leading to the board but that's another guess.

#9 8 years ago

Any update Trout? Bump for others to help troubleshoot.

#10 8 years ago

Before I start, I'm going to warn you that I have not owned an LE machine, and I haven't been able to study it much.

With that said, my suggestion would be to narrow the playfield wiring down to a minimum. If I was troubleshooting, I would start by disconnecting J2 from the LED board #4 (under the FUEL standup lamps). Since it's all daisy chained in reverse numerical order, stuff hanging off the lower numbered boards might be causing a problem with the SPI interface that sends data to the boards. It could also be #4, but at least you have a shot at removing the fault.

It sounds like everything you have done so far addresses stuff that feeds the data to the LED boards. I would want to make sure that there isn't something messing up the SPI bus downstream and preventing the CPU board from driving it properly.

#11 8 years ago

Thanks guys. I am going to get back in the game later in the week. I am just trying to gather info at work for now

Herg, thanks for this suggestion. I am willing to try anything at this point.

As for a replacement.. that would be a serious PITA because of how much work Pinball Refinery did.

#12 8 years ago

OK, mostly since I wanted to know, I did some research. I couldn't find a schematic for the Metallica LED boards, but here's one from Star Trek, which works the same way.

Stern_LE_LED_Board_(resized).jpgStern_LE_LED_Board_(resized).jpg

If your CPU board and data cable are good, that should get the signal up to CN1. Because it's fed through the shift registers, a short on the MOSI signal further down the chain would not cause problems with this board, but it would for later ones. RCK and SCK, however, would. They're connected straight through. A short anywhere on those signals would cause all of the RGB inserts to have problems.

If you have a logic probe, you can look for activity on those two pins. You said you had already tested for 5V on VCC, right?

#13 8 years ago

I know the same board is in ACDC.. not sure if that star trek board is the same. It might be.
this is it for reference.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3300

Last I checked there was power to the board

#14 8 years ago

this sound similar.. I already have replaced the board. I mean, if one was bad it is probably not to crazy of an idea that the replacement was also bad right?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-acdc-premium-the-rgb-driver-boards-kaput

#15 8 years ago

Like shovelhed mentioned previously, the inserts and GI are not controlled by the same board. The one you linked to is for the GI.

I may not have made myself clear. The Star Trek board is not exactly the same one, but it's the same architecture. It's a serially controlled shift register.

#16 8 years ago

that board is where all the RGB inserts connect to and are powered by.. there is a data cable that goes from that board to the cpu board.

Just want to make sure we are on the same page

#17 8 years ago

Are you talking about only the spider arrow inserts, not all the inserts in general?

#18 8 years ago

correct. just the spider arrow inserts. Those are the only RGB inserts.

#19 8 years ago

My mistake. I misunderstood.

In that case, I don't see much that could go wrong, either. Assuming your GI is working (turning on/off and dimming), that pretty much rules out the CPU board, the data cable, the data input on the GI/RGB board, the microcontroller on the GI/RGB board, and the power to the GI/RGB board.

There IS only one power input to it. I do find it weird that the manual shows a rectifier both in the wiring AND on the board itself. There is a regulator on the board, but it is required for the microcontroller, which also controls the GI.

Can you verify that it is 5V on pin 4 of the 4-pin molex connectors? The RGB connectors are aligned on the output connectors properly, right?

#20 8 years ago

I will double check everything as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for looking at this Herg!

#21 8 years ago

I had two GI RGB LEDs miswired causing one to be out all the time. Drove myself nuts measuring voltages, continuity, etc. checking board etc. if it helps, here are pics from LEFT side of playfield to RIGHT for each spider insert if u wish to check the wiring.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Beemus:

I had two GI RGB LEDs miswired causing one to be out all the time.

I was wondering about that. For Troutfarm's case all 6 would have to be miswired such that the 5V is connected to the wrong pad on every LED board. If red and green are swapped, it would just light up the wrong color.

Measuring the 5V input on the LED boards would catch this if it was the case, but you would have to do it when the LED is on or you'll read 5V on all the pads.

2 weeks later
#23 8 years ago

Any update Troutfarm?

#24 8 years ago

Beemus:
it looks like this one (of yours) was mis-wired as well. were these pictures taken before you corrected the issue?
red-green mixed up?red-green mixed up?
got to love how stern chose to use a red colored wire for +5 volts and with +5 being located right next to the 'red' connections. that's just a mishap waiting to happen

#25 8 years ago

Waiting on a new data cable from stern must to make sure its not the cable. But no real progress. Next step is stern sending someone out.

#26 8 years ago

Damn that sucks, wish you all the best. Please keep us updated in the future so if somebody runs into the same problem we might have the solution.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

Beemus:
it looks like this one (of yours) was mis-wired as well. were these pictures taken before you corrected the issue?
red-green mixed up?
got to love how stern chose to use a red colored wire for +5 volts and with +5 being located right next to the 'red' connections. that's just a mishap waiting to happen

Oh good lord!
Good looking out. Never noticed a rogue insert but will look into it. My issue was with GI miswire which is now fixed.
Thanks

#28 8 years ago

Red now reding, green now greening. Thanks j_m.

#29 8 years ago

Unbelievable.. RGB board had the rgb connectors on the wrong row.. from the factory, unless refinery did it.. but I doubt they disconnected those. I had taken a photo as I always do before I remove anything so I know I did not do it. I have been chasing a problem that was probably never a problem. Stern needs to slow it down and crank up the QC. DUMB. Case closed.

#30 8 years ago

Great to hear your pin was not fried! Frustrating yes but at least your banging the silverball again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-rgb-inserts-do-not-work-totally-stumped-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.