• Maybe, but they have to be awesome. 19 votes
    23%
  • No, I wouldn't. 9 votes
    11%
  • Who's Dirty Donny? 7 votes
    9%

(82 votes)

#1 6 years ago

With the release of Aerosmith with matching Dirty Donny art blades, Metallica now looks especially bare having been left out of the official art blade pool. The third party art blades don't really look that great and definitely don't match the art style of the playfield, backglass, and cab.

I asked DD about it and he said he's willing to do it, but it's up to Stern. With Stern re-running Metallica on a re-upped license for the foreseeable future, I have no idea why they wouldn't offer this.

So, here's a poll to gauge interest. Maybe it will help Stern make the right decisions and offer them.

#2 6 years ago

Bus has already been missed on this. Too many competing products, and I certainly wouldn't remove my powerblades to install an "official" blade.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Bus has already been missed on this. Too many competing products, and I certainly wouldn't remove my powerblades to install an "official" blade.

The difference is all the other products are pretty ugly/mismatched to the game art. And Stern is making new Metallica pins every month with no art blades installed that could have the much-better-looking real deal.

#4 6 years ago

Agree. I bought a set of the flames creeping death blades cheap from a Pinsider who never installed them. Was worth checking them out but after a week of them installed I plan to buy mirror blades at Pinfest to replace them.

I had the official GoT blades for my pro and thought they looked fantastic and match the game perfectly. Problem is the blade creators can't use any licensed images and Metallica is screaming for a great art package on the blades.

Anyway, the new artwork mod Aurich is creating should look fantastic and all the current blade designs would surely clash with it. So mirror blades are the best look available now (expensive powerblades aside) and will also be future proofed from clashing with the upcoming mod.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I am not a big mod guy, but I have to say hands down that the official Stern art blades are leagues above and beyond the quality of the competing products I have seen. Normally I would never pay up for any of them, but I ended up getting the Wrestlemania blades for free and I was really pleasantly surprised with the look and quality of them. They are a much more durable and quality material than the competing products I have seen and the price is very comparable as well. I would really now consider buying the Stern brand for any blades they make available for the games I own.

#6 6 years ago

I have the Creeping Death light kit on my pro with the speaker panel and purple armor which looks great to me all the way around. On the LE I like just mirror blades as the playfield would look crammed with the hammer and light bars to me.

#7 6 years ago

While I don't expect it -- I'd love to see art blades that match up with the rest of the game art. I've never gotten any for my game specifically because the options that do exist don't match up with the style/colors.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I am not a big mod guy, but I have to say hands down that the official Stern art blades are leagues above and beyond the quality of the competing products I have seen. Normally I would never pay up for any of them, but I ended up getting the Wrestlemania blades for free and I was really pleasantly surprised with the look and quality of them. They are a much more durable and quality material than the competing products I have seen and the price is very comparable as well. I would really now consider buying the Stern brand for any blades they make available for the games I own.

I agree. Still need to get the GB ones....

#9 6 years ago

I have said the same things since its release, also with a speaker panel decal. All the companies that do provide us with great mods have missed the mark due to copyright.
Its not their fault, but DD side blades and speaker panel art would be bad ass.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Anyway, the new artwork mod Aurich is creating should look fantastic and all the current blade designs would surely clash with it.

Ha, thanks, but don't let my project I haven't shown influence your thinking in any way.

That said, my hand drawn art on it is meant to compliment the existing Metallica art, so Dirty Donny blades would probably work great with it.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

I have said the same things since its release, also with a speaker panel decal. All the companies that do provide us with great mods have missed the mark due to copyright.
Its not their fault, but DD side blades and speaker panel art would be bad ass.

I could buy Stern saying that ship has sailed if Metallica was out of production, BUT they just re-upped the license not that long ago and are still making new Metallica pins, so this seems like a no-brainer for incremental income and customer satisfaction.

#12 6 years ago

Agreed, we should start a petition!

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Agreed, we should start a petition!

I sent the link to this poll to Stern's sales director and he sent it to marketing, so getting more people to answer the poll will help. So far the response is overwhelmingly to the positive, as expected (currently ~75-85% yes), but having more actual people take the poll would yield more impressive participant numbers.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I sent the link to this poll to Stern's sales director and he sent it to marketing, so getting more people to answer the poll will help. So far the response is overwhelmingly to the positive, as expected, but having more actual people take the poll would yield more impressive participant numbers.

With how often he shows up at events these days, somebody has to have a way to get Donny's ear directly. Facebook or otherwise - should bring it up to him too. Plant the seed. He might whip them up and go "hey stern, checkitout"

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

With how often he shows up at events these days, somebody has to have a way to get Donny's ear directly. Facebook or otherwise - should bring it up to him too. Plant the seed. He might whip them up and go "hey stern, checkitout"

I doubt it will come from DD, since telling your client who may still be giving you other work how to do things is not a good idea. Kind of like tail wagging the dog. He's already said he's up for it, so we just need to get Stern to understand that there's latent demand for these, and with them still making Metallica pins, it makes good sense. Then they can ask him and he can do them.

If new Metallica buyers are made aware that there's a set of DD art blades I would think that better than 50-60% of the new Metallica pins would sell with art blades from distributors, plus all the ones already out there that users would want them for.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I could buy Stern saying that ship has sailed if Metallica was out of production, BUT they just re-upped the license not that long ago and are still making new Metallica pins, so this seems like a no-brainer for incremental income and customer satisfaction.

Off topic, but how long do they have with the license now that it was re-upped?

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Off topic, but how long do they have with the license now that it was re-upped?

No idea, but if it's a new license contract, I'm assuming 3 years, which is a "usual" license term for these kinds of things. But if it was an add-on/extension to the existing license term, it could be 1, 2, 3, or more years. If someone knows for sure, that would be great to know.

#18 6 years ago

I have the Ride the Lightning blades and front panel sticker on my game. It's better than nothing, but really doesn't go with the rest the of art package. I'd love to have legit Dirty Donny art to replace them with!

Extra points if they look awesome when lit by the Ride the Lightning light bars too (DD's specialty is black-light art, not that the light bars are true black lights though).

Hey, Stern could even do a set of legit blacklight light bars for the game that tie in with the Art Blades. How sick would that be??

#19 6 years ago

So here's a thought...maybe the original Metallica pin license doesn't cover art blades. If Stern had to go back and get a license addendum and pay extra for that, would you be willing to pay $99 instead of the usual $79 for these Metallica blades to make them happen? I'm usually not happy about price bumps, but in this case, if that's what it cost to have legit DD art blades that actually match the art on the pin, I'd pay the extra $20, which would make it more attractive to Stern to make the effort to do what it takes to make it happen.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I have the Ride the Lightning blades and front panel sticker on my game. It's better than nothing, but really doesn't go with the rest the of art package. I'd love to have legit Dirty Donny art to replace them with!
Extra points if they look awesome when lit by the Ride the Lightning light bars too (DD's specialty is black-light art, not that the light bars are true black lights though).
Hey, Stern could even do a set of legit blacklight light bars for the game that tie in with the Art Blades. How sick would that be??

Black light reactive ink on DD Metallica art blades would be very cool.

#21 6 years ago

Say what you want, I thought the VU meter powerblades were the right color choices for the game to fit the art and matched the theme. So did my wife, for that matter, and I've gotten compliments on them. /shrug

If they did UV reactive blades, I might buy them just to stick them on the wall.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Say what you want, I thought the VU meter powerblades were the right color choices for the game to fit the art and matched the theme. So did my wife, for that matter, and I've gotten compliments on them. /shrug
If they did UV reactive blades, I might buy them just to stick them on the wall.

They might be the right color, but they don't match the art style at all, and that's the problem. People that want art blades that match the DD playfield and cabinet art probably wouldn't want the VU meter blades or any of the third-party non-copyright infringing art attempts because none of the match the DD style.

#23 6 years ago

I emailed Donny a link to this thread, so yeah, this is probably a done deal.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I thought about doing those VU blades but decided it just didn't match the game even though it's a cool idea.

#25 6 years ago

Count me in! I agree that none of the current blades out there match the art work on the pin and really work except for the mirror ones. Given the number of Metallica pins that Stern has sold you'd think it would be worth it for them to release DD art blades.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Count me in! I agree that none of the current blades out there match the art work on the pin and really work except for the mirror ones. Given the number of Metallica pins that Stern has sold you'd think it would be worth it for them to release DD art blades.

Forget how many they've already sold (most of which I think would still be upgraded to DD blades if they were available), many of the new Metallica pins going to a home off the line now would probably have an order of blades with them, too. We just need to keep getting more votes for the poll, and I'll keep prompting sales to hopefully get something moving to help Metallica owners.

#27 6 years ago

I love his Art!

Would buy them in a heartbeat,if available.

Thats what Shia said about it:

10 months later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 149.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 25.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-really-should-have-dirty-donny-art-blades and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.