• Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0127_(resized).jpg
2015-12-24_12.55.12_(resized).jpg
2015-12-24_18.37.55_(resized).jpg
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Here is a list of some of "baseline" things I did with my MET Monster Premium (late production run) to "bulletproof", modify corrections from the factory, or improve the game which may be helpful for you:
1) Metallica Deluxe Pinball Topper (Private custom, not copied)
2) Pinball Side Mirrors
3) Metallica Cliffy Protectors (Full Set)
4) Cliffy In lane Protectors (All lanes)
5) Pinball Pro Speaker Set with modified subwoofer + sound isolation kit (necessary to prevent vibration issues, speaker damage, and cracking) (NOTE: personally, I do not believe in "external" sound mods, although I have the PCB)
6) Anti-Rattle Tape (mostly for the subwoofer and shaker motor, the glass coating does the rest)
7) ColorDMD (TM) + Clear Bezel + Bracket Standoff kit --->This is a MUST HAVE if you are serious about this game, the dot animation coloring is outstanding
8 ) Invisiglass (TM)
9) Metallica Master of Puppets “Cross Mod”
10) Keyed alike locks for both coin door and backbox (to match the rest of my collection)
11) New Pinball Premium Balls (Stern pinballs are trash)
12) Sparky Coil wiring Electric Chair Mod (Blue)
13) Metallica LED “Mini Speaker” Mod
14) Metallica “Snake Tongue” Mod
15) Metallica LED “Cemetery Arch” Mod
16) Stern CPU Pinball Power Tap (for LED backbox display)
17) Metallica “Snake Fang” Mod
18) Pop Bumper “Ride the Lightning” Mod
19) Metallica LED backbox display (Replaces Fluorescent Tube) (No flashers or additional effects on the one I built)
20) Metallica Plastic Protector Set + Additional Specialized oversized Clear Plastic Protectors for other plastics (most notably the hammer, snake plastic, and the back of the playfield)
21) Stern Target Splints (All Targets) (necessarily if you do not want "leaning" and target damage)
22) Metallica “Snake Plastic Mod and Decal” Mod
23) SAM remote controller PCB kit
24) Metallica Fluorescent “Dress Slings” and “Sparky Spider Web” PETG Protectors
25) Cross Drop Target metal slide Reinforcement Pads
26) Metallica Gel Inserts
27) Metallica LED Sound Controlled Speaker and Playfield Interactive Kit
28) Metallica Acrylic Speaker Stars
29) “Speed Shifter” Pinball Shooter Assembly
30) “Tachometer RPM” Mod
31) “James Hetfield Guitar” Mod
32) “Metallica Emblem” mod
33) Ball Trough Magnetization Protector
34) Stern Modified 12V auxiliary cabinet 8-way PCB board (necessary to clean up the wiring and make the game look professional)
35) SAM System LED PCB board (custom independent board for specialized LEDs effects outside of of the factory installed)
36) Cabinet rewiring to clean up factory mistakes
37) Modified LED anti-vibration bulb sockets
38) Brite Buttons (Red)
39) Metallica Chrome Star Pop Bumper Caps
40) Stern “REAL” Knocker Mod
41) Customized Sparky
42) Customized Hammer
43) Stern Black Metal Powder-coated Cabinet Half Moon Flipper Button Protectors (Upgraded side armor arrived, need to install)
44) Chrome Backbox Trim
45) Shaker Motor
46) Chrome Backbox Trim
47) Skull Speaker Mod
48) COMPLETE Purple “Candy Coat” Pinball Armor
49) Repainted Snake
50) Repainted Cross
51) "Boney Finger" Flippers (SS) with modified inlanes.
And a whole bunch of other stuff and tweaks, well over 100+ things changed now.
A lot of things are "invisible" because they are below the playfield or in the backbox.
I ended up stripping the playfield TWICE, and gutting the cabinet ONCE.
That is just off my memory.
Protectors are important on this game, plastics and magnets get hammered from flying balls even with more air ball protection.
Its not "putting plastic on a couch" as some less inspired people would say, unless you like to spend $200 for Premium NOS plastic sets while they are still available.
I do not.
The game will eventually probably go down in pinball history as another collectors machine like Twilight Zone, not just for "Metallica fans".
The code is now excellent, and if anything else is added will finish the the game with a lot of additional polish.
Its is still NOT a "10/10" however, and never will be IMHO.
Good effort though, Stern.

What's number #9 and #33? Iam interested in those.
I have had my Premium foe almost 2 years, and only protection I have used is the mantis protector in the mystery scoop, and mylar in shooter Lane. Nothing else, almost 1700 plays total and no wear any where. When I see those metal protectors on a huo pin I automatically think there's damage. These protectors were designed for damaged neglected pins, not new games. But people like to overkill things, cliff is a business man, so he isn't gonna say no you don't need it, lol. It's your games, do as you wish, but it is overkill on new games in the home environment. I just wax with Blitz carnauba, and all is good. Congratulations on your new Met premium.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from Hoopjohn:

Anything can happen to a new pin...

#1 Rule for ANY machine:
"Anything can break at ANYTIME".

The only thing you can do is prepare for it, when the day comes.

#53 8 years ago

#9 Cross mod by Laserific (Joe), available at Pinball Life or Mezel
#33 another further modification of a BLY/WMS Mod used forever in those games. It is slide cut piece of PETG, which is slotted and goes into the ball trough. No ball impact wear, no magnetization problems.

I don't sell anything I make it install including PCBs. Each game is unique and had its own "Achilles heels". I see what was made, improve it, or create my own independently.

Physically, my MET LE PF is different, but the "guts" are what REALLY counts.

Who knows maybe I will put TWD premium topper on my machine instead of the existing, and use molded artificial skin texture gelatin cure as "water" next?

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

#9 Cross mod by Laserific (Joe), available at Pinball Life or Mezel
#33 another further modification of a BLY/WMS Mod used forever in those games. It is slide cut piece of PETG, which is slotted and goes into the ball trough. No ball impact wear, no magnetization problems.
I don't sell anything I make it install including PCBs. Each game is unique and had its own "Achilles heels". I see what was made, improve it, or create my own independently.
Physically, my MET LE PF is different, but the "guts" are what REALLY counts.
Who knows maybe I will put TWD premium topper on my machine instead of the existing, and use molded artificial skin texture gelatin cure as "water" next?

Might be a dumb question but what is PETG? I'm getting a met and want to protect everything and this sounds good( I think)

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Might be a dumb question but what is PETG? I'm getting a met and want to protect everything and this sounds good( I think)

Polyethylene terephthalate (PETG or PET-G)
"PETG is a transparent thermoplastic sheet material with outstanding thermoformability and good impact resistance."
"PETG is an excellent choice for applications that require durability, deep draw thermoforming, and clarity."

KEY CHARACTERISTICS:
• Outstanding thermoforming
characteristics, particularly
in deep draw applications
• Does not usually
require drying prior
to thermoforming
• Good impact resistance
• Clear
• Lower cost alternative
to polycarbonate
• Less brittle than acrylic
• Superior chemical
resistance when
compared with many
other transparent plastics
• Easy to fabricate
• Allows for rapid
thermoforming
cycle times
• Brake formable
(up to 0.080" thickness)
• FDA compliant

Most importantly and keys are it comes in sheets of various thicknesses and is LESS BRITTLE than ACRYLIC.
A LOT LESS brittle, and easier to work with than Lexan.
Colored PETG is more expensive however.
Clear is common.

1 week later
#56 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackstorm:

Yes I've had them in and a friend of mine also had them in. I also liked the integrated part. There was a little bit of difference in the sub(not much) and unnoticeable difference in the back box speakers. If you turn them up loud basically all it does is make the glass rattle. We both were very disappointed right away but left them in. We met a guy while buying a pin from him. He had all polk externals below the cabs and we were blown away at the difference and how much better it was. Immediately went home and ordered the polks at half the price and ripped the pin pros out. Made the game so much more fun to play. Now I won't go without

I share you opinion on the matter. Defintely wasn't blown away with speaker replacement and cabinet/glass rattles. External sub is definitely a nicer option, albeit less attractive.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

12,000 (OBO)
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
NinjaCamp Mods

$ 25.50
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hudsonville, MI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.