(Topic ID: 70317)

Metallica Pro/Premium/LE, dead in the water...

By Triumvirat73

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Triumvirat73
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

asshat1.jpg
Unknown.jpeg

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Well, Metallica Pro was my first NIB purchase, and I couldn't have been more excited!!

That feeling has since changed. Considerably...

First off: It's an awesome title, incredible artwork, great flow, fun fun FUN!

Here's the thing... It ends there.

Zero communication regarding updates, which are artfully avoided for some reason (we have two factory released modes that don't even exist, by play or by acknowledgement).

I had a faulty DMD which I sent back and got a credit card charge for $100 for shipping between suppliers/Stern.

There are multiple design faults (which have mostly been acknowledged/rectified by Stern, but not all).

And we're now at a point where the game is an after-thought by the company. There will be no second, third, fourth run etc. as there have been with other successful titles that I can see.

I am a home buyer, so I will admit that things don't revolve around me, but I expected more.

Feeling: Bitter.

#2 5 years ago

You'll feel better with a massive code update complete with modes wizard modes and mystery hole awards. But yeah buying nib is a frustrating experience, my first nib too. Probably be my last stern nib that's for sure, best to wait a year til code is complete, hopefully, and save some money too.

#3 5 years ago

Both of you being 1st time buyers of Stern's NIB are experiencing what many have been used to for years from Stern. This is nothing new for stern in regards to code updates. If you arent willing to be patient & wait for the code updates I suggest avoiding NIB's from stern.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

If you arent willing to be patient & wait for the code updates I suggest avoiding NIB's from stern.

There was no indication that the game was far from finished when I purchased it. Saying I should be "willing" to wait months for updates is no better a defense as far as supporting them is concerned.

#5 5 years ago

Of course I knew it wasn't done, code-wise, but they should have been a HELL of a lot closer than this.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

There was no indication that the game was far from finished when I purchased it. Saying I should be "willing" to wait months for updates is no better a defense as far as supporting them is concerned.

There never is any indication of when the code will be complete. It usually takes 6 months to a year for it to be at what most would consider polished. My point is that its not like this just happened out of the blue starting with Metallica. Its been their model for years now.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

There never is any indication of when the code will be complete. It usually takes 6 months to a year for it to be at what most would consider polished. My point is that its not like this just happened out of the blue starting with Metallica. Its been their model for years now.

If I buy a car that has "twin turbo" plastered on it, I'm going to assume that it does, in fact, have twin turbo.

If I buy a pinball machine that has "END OF THE LINE", and "CRANK IT UP", AND references to those modes plastered on the playing area, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect those highlights to see the light of day before the next title release. (or the one after that)

Do you?

#8 5 years ago

That's a bummer man.. that's a bummer.

#9 5 years ago

If I buy a car that has "twin turbo" plastered on it, I'm going to assume that it does, in fact, have twin turbo.
If I buy a pinball machine that has "END OF THE LINE", and "CRANK IT UP", AND references to those modes plastered on the playing area, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect those highlights to see the light of day before the next title release. (or the one after that)
Do you?

I understand your frustration, Just making a point its nothing new from Stern. If it is bothering you that much sell it and move on. When the code is at a level that you like you can always buy it again.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I understand your frustration, Just making a point its nothing new from Stern. If it is bothering you that much sell it and move on. When the code is at a level that you like you can always buy it again.

I do actually understand what you're saying, and agree to a certain extent. If you look back through the code-crying threads you will see that my involvement has been minimal. I've always wanted to give this title the benefit of the doubt, but of course it's just the same nonsense.

I guess getting a bill for $100 today from my distributor for a faulty DMD that was under "warranty" was enough to tip me over to the other side of the fence...

Very expensive lesson learned.

#11 5 years ago

I do actually understand what you're saying, and agree to a certain extent. If you look back through the code-crying threads you will see that my involvement has been minimal. I've always wanted to give this title the benefit of the doubt, but of course it's just the same nonsense.
I guess getting a bill for $100 today from my distributor for a faulty DMD that was under "warranty" was enough to tip me over to the other side of the fence...

I would definitely contact Stern & ask why you were billed anything for a faulty DMD, That should have been taken care of. As for the rest i'd just hold tight and keep playing it since its still a very fun game as it stands right now.

#12 5 years ago

http://sternpinball.com/downloads/ACDC_LE_readme.txt

http://sternpinball.com/downloads/TRN_LE_readme.txt

Here are a couple examples of the timeline it took Stern to get their code to a acceptable level for 2 of their most popular titles of the last few years. I'd expect about the same wait for Metallica especially since a lot of their early work needed to be applied to getting the LE/Premium Lock assembly to work at a reasonable rate.

#13 5 years ago

I have never been charged anything for shipping from the Australian distributor when they have sent me parts under warranty. I would have thought this would have been the case worldwide???

Not trying to be a smart arse but I was lucky enough to not buy NIB anything as much as I wanted to. I recently bought a 3 month old ACDC Premium. So much extra peace of mind knowing what I was buying and not hoping that what I was buying would be what I hoped it should be.

Best of luck with it.

#14 5 years ago

This is the new reality it seems, the demand for getting games out is exceeding the manufacturers ability to finish the coding, therefore we have the current situation where I doubt we will ever see a new game be released with even close to finished programming. It requires faith in the maker that they will follow up and complete the game, something unfortunately Stern has repeatedly failed to do, doing great damage to their reputation. Whether the faith that many have placed in JJP with WOZ will be justified is yet to be determined.

It really doesn't matter how fun a game is in it's current state IMO, if there are things on the playfield that don't work because the code isn't finished, that is unacceptable.

#15 5 years ago

Who is your distributer? So, we all know to avoid him. You should not be charged that much, if anything.

#16 5 years ago

I also had a faulty DMD in my MET Pro and Stern sent me a new one free of any charges (including shipping). I've also received several other parts free of charges. Stern's QA isn't great (to be polite, but their product support makes up for it. The distributer shouldn't be charging you anything. You should deny the credit card charge…period. At most, a modest shipping charge might be reasonable.

For good or bad, these machines are now being targeted at pinball fanatics/hobbyists (who don't mind dealing with all the NIB "speed bumps"). When I started in 2004, I didn't even want to remove the glass and lift a PF…now I'm restoring machines and doing all my own maintenance and repairs.

#17 5 years ago

Yeah, I'm in the "don't buy a NIB game unless the code is somewhat complete" camp now. I'd love to own a Metallica but don't see the point right now. If they ever finish it, I'll ring up a distributor and place my order for a Premium.

#18 5 years ago

Sounds like from the Houston Arcade Expo last weekend, Steve Richie said they are working on it full force now, since there are a lot of unhappy customers contacting them.

#19 5 years ago

I would switch distributers. I have had many replacement parts on my NIB games over the years and was never,ever charged a cent. Only thing I had to pay for was return shipping on items that they wanted back. Tell him stick his 100 up his a$$

Best part is the way it works from stern is they charge your dist. the price on item until you ship them back then they credit his account.

He screwed ya out of an extra 100 for his trouble.

#20 5 years ago

The real issue is Stern's lack of presence here at Pinside.

Secondary issue is their poor communication and total lack of REAL customer service. This BS of going through Your Distributor for sales and service is a PITA! And their distribution system sucks hind tit! Everyone paying different prices for a pin and the LE pump is done in my book. Almost forgot distributors going in to stealth mode and having their buddies sell their pins over list price for them!

Done buying new Sterns. Will take my hit on Metallica and I'm done. And sad part is I didn't want Metallica that badly... it was really just trying to help a fellow Pinhead. Now have an unopened MoPLE I'd like to dump!

And I'm blessed that a loss on a game doesn't affect me. I feel bad for the guys that get jammed up with these Sterns cuz they can't afford a $2000 beating.

Beat on JJP all You want...But he doesn't hide like Gary does when it comes to issues. And I can buy my game directly from him...NO F'ing Distributor!!!

And I would love to someday tell the story about the BIBLE and Stern but I'm sworn to secrecy...For now!

#21 5 years ago

There are multiple design faults (which have mostly been acknowledged/rectified by Stern, but not all).

And we're now at a point where the game is an after-thought by the company. There will be no second, third, fourth run etc. as there have been with other successful titles that I can see.

I am a home buyer, so I will admit that things don't revolve around me, but I expected more.

Feeling: Bitter.

Go read the thread that has the exchange between Keith and Steve Ritchie from back in 2008 and at least it will give you some perspective as to the mindset of Stern and what you can expect going forward......

Sorry that happened to you and a lot of other Met owners.....and Xmen owners.....and.......

#22 5 years ago

My dmd went bad in my acdc. I called my distributor (Michael Pupo), he called stern and in two days a new dmd was in my machine at $0 cost to me. Sounds to me like your distributor took advantage of/screwed you over. Post his name so we know who not to ever do business with. Further, I would call stern and report this to them ASAP.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

The real issue is Stern's lack of presence here at Pinside.
Secondary issue is their poor communication and total lack of REAL customer service. This BS of going through Your Distributor for sales and service is a PITA! And their distribution system sucks hind tit! Everyone paying different prices for a pin and the LE pump is done in my book. Almost forgot distributors going in to stealth mode and having their buddies sell their pins over list price for them!
Done buying new Sterns. Will take my hit on Metallica and I'm done. And sad part is I didn't want Metallica that badly... it was really just trying to help a fellow Pinhead. Now have an unopened MoPLE I'd like to dump!
And I'm blessed that a loss on a game doesn't affect me. I feel bad for the guys that get jammed up with these Sterns cuz they can't afford a $2000 beating.
Beat on JJP all You want...But he doesn't hide like Gary does when it comes to issues. And I can buy my game directly from him...NO F'ing Distributor!!!
And I would love to someday tell the story about the BIBLE and Stern but I'm sworn to secrecy...For now!

Stern not coming on Pinside isn't the problem. Them coming on here is a no win scenario. They would be blowing on fires just making them bigger, and it would be a disaster. There are plenty of distributors on here acting as shill cheerleaders.

Jack does have a distributor, and you cannot order directly from Jersey Jack Pinball. Even directly from Jack you are actually buying from Pinball Sales. There is also a distribution network. If you are setting up a company like that, a lawyer would probably advise you to do the same.

And you sound a bit like ... Does the first rule of Pinside prevent me from pointing out how immature it sounds when you post on a public forum that you have inside information that you won't share? That really reads "Nah nah, nah nah nah, I know something you don't know."

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Stern not coming on Pinside isn't the problem. Them coming on here is a no win scenario. They would be blowing on fires just making them bigger, and it would be a disaster. There are plenty of distributors on here acting as shill cheerleaders.
Jack does have a distributor, and you cannot order directly from Jersey Jack Pinball. Even directly from Jack you are actually buying from Pinball Sales. There is also a distribution network. If you are setting up a company like that, a lawyer would probably advise you to do the same.
And you sound a bit like ... Does the first rule of Pinside prevent me from pointing out how immature it sounds when you post on a public forum that you have inside information that you won't share? That really reads "Nah nah, nah nah nah, I know something you don't know."

Doesn't appear to be no win for JJP and his techs to show up here.

BFD... it is still Jack You are dealing with even though it is pinball sales!

And your last comment...What do You think you're my Dad? Eventually the story will get told but it isn't my call to do so. Doesn't involve me. Just another bad Stern story and there are a LOT of them!

#25 5 years ago

There is no need to go through your distributor to get a replacement part. All you need to do is contact Stern with your serial number and they will send it to your home. They know who your distributor is based on the serial number.

The problem with the Stern business model is distributors rarely earn their money when selling a pinball machine. Most distributors are remote and can't possibly do much to support you. Local distributors that do free "house calls" when supporting a NIB purchase are an exception.

While it would be great to have Stern reps "chime in" on Pinside, it wouldn't solve your problem.

#26 5 years ago

I'm hopeful for the update; I think the game could end up doing another run if the update is good like the AC/DC ones. It's a very popular band and word of really good software could potentially turn this into AC/DC Jr, imo. Note the use of "Jr" - I don't think it will ever sell as well as AC/DC overall.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

What do You think you're my Dad? Eventually the story will get told but it isn't my call to do so. Doesn't involve me. Just another bad Stern story and there are a LOT of them!

Son, there's no need to get upset. You can PM me the details of this sordid tale if you like. Ok, talk to you later. Mom says don't forget to wash behind your ears.

Love you;
-Dad.

#28 5 years ago

Who told you this?

#29 5 years ago

I wouldn't pay that,that's f#%^ed up.
That is under warranty isn't it.

I feel your pain on the code update,but my Metle isn't going anywhere.
It will come and be a great game when it does. I hope

#30 5 years ago

To the OP:

If this is your first NIB, I can completely understand your frustration.

A few suggestions/observations:

1. If you have not done so already, call and ask for Patrick Powers at Stern directly or email him about this DMD issue. He is extremely helpful. He probably does not read here.

2. For your next game (you'll hopefully join the NIB club again) look around for a local (or different) distributor you can communicate with directly and is customer oriented. The story you tell of your distributor would make me switch pronto, and of course would sour my first and future NIB experiences.

I deal with a local, in state distributor and my experience has been great-even when I have had problems. Folks are quick to point out they can get the game for less out of state and prefer to shop around and work out internet deals. I like being able to see my distributor in person, try out games, call him or show up at his shop and talk with him. I do not worry about getting lost in a computer telephone system or wonder if my emails will ever be returned.

3. After you get your DMD issue resolved (I am sure a broken game and the $100 charge is ticking you off), step back and read what you wrote:

" First off: It's an awesome title, incredible artwork, great flow, fun fun FUN!"

That is still true, but bad experiences can erode that feeling fast.

4. Unfortunately, this code issue is common. You probably have read the Stern code saga over and over by now. Metallica will probably improve, just not at the rate people would hope.

I would not abandon ship just yet on Metallica.

Good luck!

#31 5 years ago

It's still a great game.

#32 5 years ago

I purchased the game through Nitro Amusements in Vancouver. I called them with the problem and, because I live about 4 hours away from Vancouver, they told me to call Starburst Cineplex directly (the main Canadian distributor).

When I phoned Starburst I had to give them all of the details I would expect to have to provide, but I should have clued in when they asked for my credit card number. Naively though, I just thought it was part of the process. After about a month I received my replacement dmd and had to ship the faulty one back to Starburst (at my cost). Then yesterday I receive a receipt for $70+ for shipping from starburst to me AND shipping twice between starburst and stern.

Unhappy to say the least...

#33 5 years ago

I purchased the game through Nitro Amusements in Vancouver. I called them with the problem and, because I live about 4 hours away from Vancouver, they told me to call Starburst Cineplex directly (the main Canadian distributor).
When I phoned Starburst I had to give them all of the details I would expect to have to provide, but I should have clued in when they asked for my credit card number. Naively though, I just thought it was part of the process. After about a month I received my replacement dmd and had to ship the faulty one back to Starburst (at my cost). Then yesterday I receive a receipt for $70+ for shipping from starburst to me AND shipping twice between starburst and stern.

Unknown.jpeg

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Who told you this?

I felt "that I can see" would have made it clear that it was only my opinion, but I guess not.

In my opinion, I don't see multiple runs of a broken title.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

There is no need to go through your distributor to get a replacement part. All you need to do is contact Stern with your serial number and they will send it to your home. They know who your distributor is based on the serial number.

I contacted Stern, gave them the proper info, and was still directed back to the distributor. (this was after a few back and forth emails) That was from one of the main people in the warranty department. Ive also heard of people getting things directly from Stern as well, like you said. I probably could have thrown a fit and gotten it from them myself, but my distributor is pretty easy to deal with, so I didn't bother.

OP, you got a raw deal on having to pay for anything regarding parts under warranty. Whether or not they can technically do it, to me it's still not right. Would they have charged you to ship a whole new play field or cabinet? It's bullshit.

#36 5 years ago

Wow that's ridiculous of starburst! What a ripoff. No wonder you're upset. You should NOT have to pay that.

Don't give up be patient, I still trust it will be amazing.

#37 5 years ago

If you didn't agree to pay the shipping charges, call or write back to one/both of the distributors and tell them a) it's ridiculous to pay shipping on an in-warranty return and b) you didn't authorize or agree to the charge and you're not going to pay it. If they don't back off call your credit card co. and tell them it's an unauthorized charge. It might also be worth contacting (or at least threatening to contact) Stern to complain about how the exchange was handled.

You shouldn't be paying for this.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

I contacted Stern, gave them the proper info, and was still directed back to the distributor. (this was after a few back and forth emails) That was from one of the main people in the warranty department. Ive also heard of people getting things directly from Stern as well, like you said. I probably could have thrown a fit and gotten it from them myself, but my distributor is pretty easy to deal with, so I didn't bother.
OP, you got a raw deal on having to pay for anything regarding parts under warranty. Whether or not they can technically do it, to me it's still not right. Would they have charged you to ship a whole new play field or cabinet? It's bullshit.

Interesting. I guess they want the distributors to pre-screen to help take the load off? Some of us have been buying Stern NIB pins for quite awhile, so maybe they deal directly with folks they've already established a relationship with. If they've adopted a new policy, they are likely to implement it with new customers.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Interesting. I guess they want the distributors to pre-screen to help take the load off? Some of us have been buying Stern NIB pins for quite awhile, so maybe they deal directly with folks they've already established a relationship with. If they've adopted a new policy, they are likely to implement it with new customers.

That would make sense. It would certainly help streamline the process for Stern if they didn't deal directly with the customer. I think the words used from Stern was that it was to keep the distributor "in the loop", which is another way of saying "let them deal with it".

1 week later
#40 5 years ago

You should be taking this up with Nitro, they sold you the game and provide a one year warranty - according to their ads. They are supposed to handle things like this - that is what a reseller does, deals with issues and helps the customer.

Nitro needs to clear this up for you.

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com

#41 5 years ago

At the risk of pissing off every Stern owner on here, here goes.
Simply stated, Stern sucks. Always has, always will. They have the durability of a potato chip. Build quality can be subpar. Themes are stale, by & large they're just promos of mediocre movies mostly viewed by 12-17 year-old fanboys. As far as their entry into their "music era' of pins....come on-AC/DC? Metallica? These bands were decent say, oh 15-20 years ago, but certainly not now. Were they popular? Yes. But the pins featuring them seem almost like the nerdy kid in school who wasn't ''hip' and just listened to the music everyone else was into, even if he didn't like it himself. People do this to fit in. To wit, look at how many newer Sterns are up on the market after the honeymoon phase has worn off. They're not keepers. There are many different reasons, I'm sure, but I won't go there.
Have I actually PLAYED a new Stern? Yup-every one of them. I don't hate them all, but I'm hard pressed to tell you my favorite.
Guys on this forum usually seem to defer to the car analogy and I'll play along. Stern's are the Dodge's of the pinball community. Apologies to Dodge owners.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from kamenoi_ostrow:

Simply stated, Stern sucks. Always has, always will. They have the durability of a potato chip. Build quality can be subpar. Themes are stale, by & large they're just promos of mediocre movies mostly viewed by 12-17 year-old fanboys. As far as their entry into their "music era' of pins....come on-AC/DC? Metallica? These bands were decent say, oh 15-20 years ago, but certainly not now. Were they popular? Yes. But the pins featuring them seem almost like the nerdy kid in school who wasn't ''hip' and just listened to the music everyone else was into, even if he didn't like it himself. People do this to fit in. To wit, look at how many newer Sterns are up on the market after the honeymoon phase has worn off. They're not keepers. There are many different reasons, I'm sure, but I won't go there.
Have I actually PLAYED a new Stern? Yup-every one of them. I don't hate them all, but I'm hard pressed to tell you my favorite.
Guys on this forum usually seem to defer to the car analogy and I'll play along. Stern's are the Dodge's of the pinball community. Apologies to Dodge owners.

Well, that's one opinion.

#43 5 years ago

I will be buying a premium when the code is complete and all of the bugs are worked out. I have learned this is the only way to do it when buying a new game.......................

#44 5 years ago

This is not pissing anyone off. It's just wasting space on the server.

#45 5 years ago

Stern's are the Dodge's of the pinball community. Apologies to Dodge owners.

asshat1.jpg

#46 5 years ago

Ha ha. Whatever.

#47 5 years ago

Who the hell "defers" to the car analogy?

The truth is that you got it wrong (just like the rest of your post). What is agreed is that if you make a cargument, you lose the debate.

'Nuf said.

#48 5 years ago

If you are going to make a cargument, why not use a really awesomely built car like a Ford Pinto or and AMC Gremlin?

I prefer condomguments personally. A new Stern is like a rubber with holes in it.

And yet, I still buy them. Hmmmm??

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I will be buying a premium when the code is complete and all of the bugs are worked out. I have learned this is the only way to do it when buying a new game.......................

You are a smart patient man, we all could learn a lot here. I don't miss the LE at all, accept how awesome it looked. I have cool paperweights too. Tempted to write Gary Stern a letter about how disappointing I was to have a game with awesome talked about modes on the playfield but not implemented but then I thought what is the point really.

#50 5 years ago

It would seem from your posts that you have owned your Metallica for well over 6 months. Depending on when you made your claim, the warranty is probably done. Stern gives a 90 day warranty. I would talk to the reseller that you purchased the game from, If they are extending the warranty to 1 year then it is their responsibility. Even in the first 90 days that there is warranty the reseller has the responsibility to handle all problems and correspond with the Master distributer. Its sound like your reseller has been just passing the buck by telling you to contact Starburst directly. In fact if you didn't make the claim within the 90 days then Starburst and Stern should probably receive a reimbursement from you for the display.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 199.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside