(Topic ID: 77081)

Metallica Pro VS StarTrek Pro: help pick my first NIB!

By Jared

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

All,

I have a great opportunity to purchase a NIB Star Trek or Metallic pro. Either one is identical price, either one is NIB.

I have played both, and like both! I like the art on Metallica much better, but prefer the theme on StarTrek. Game play for me on either is about equal.

Suggestions and reasoning? Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Tallica baby!!! Inline drops for the win. Sparky is cooler than the Vengeance.

#3 10 years ago

Both are fantastic. I think Metallica Pro is the way to go but for ST the Premium and LE are the way to go. Certain titles are hit and miss with Premium/LE differences. Good luck and you can't go wrong. I really enjoy both.

#4 10 years ago

Metallica needs a update badly. Not played ST yet but i would not by Metallica until they make a update. (Dont really like the game, but if you enjoy the theme...sure)

#5 10 years ago

I'd go with Star Trek. I think it is a much more fun game right now. And the code is going to get even better. Even after a MET code update ST will be the better game in my opinion.

#6 10 years ago

metallica is the better choice of the two.

#7 10 years ago

I'd fry Sparky....MET

#8 10 years ago

I feel ya ..... I think I would go with ST . one word Steve R.

#9 10 years ago

ST is primed to become a classic ie LOTR imho. Also, if you like the theme, that alone will keep drawing you back for more.

#10 10 years ago

Can anyone comment on how the clear coat holds up on Stern's newer pro models such as Star Trek? I'm considering buying a Star Trek pro but I heard it has less clear on it as opposed to the premium / LE?

#11 10 years ago

Played both and I own a Met Pro. I just think the layout is better overall. (IMO) Game is fun now but will be better when the update drops...

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Game is fun now but will be better when the update drops...

Totally agree

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Can anyone comment on how the clear coat holds up on Stern's newer pro models such as Star Trek? I'm considering buying a Star Trek pro but I heard it has less clear on it as opposed to the premium / LE?

The clear coat had been fantastic. It's bit noticeably worse than the LE models. Stern clear has been great since xmen on my opinion

#14 10 years ago

Star Trek.

Hands down. All day and twice on Sunday. No question.

Look at the shots;

LH and RH orbits = same

LH and RH ramps = roughly same

Vengeance (single drop + magnet + kicker) is FAR greater than Sparky (magnet only)

I'll take a third flipper and third ramp over inline drops any day

Look at the software;

ST (18 modes + Vengeance/Klingon/Kobayashi multiballs) > MET (4 mutliballs and the 500,000 point "Mystery")

Look at the bling;

ST (full RGB shields plus LED GI) > MET (standard bulbs)

Yeah.....ST for the win!

Later,
EV

#15 10 years ago

Star Trek all the way, much better pin.

#16 10 years ago

I have both [metallica premium, STLE] and that's a tough call. I see your dilemma.

If you like ST theme better, I would go with ST because the code is MUCH more complete than Metallicas.
ST is more fun to play IMHO, but that's due to Metallica's lacking code.

With proper code updates BOTH can be top 10 games. On the other hand, if you get one NOW, which one will be easier to pickup 2-3 years down the road, especially NIB when you've saved enough to buy another [assuming another game doesn't pique you interest]?

#17 10 years ago

Metallica is a booring pin
get a ST !!!!

#18 10 years ago

Sheats trumps Ritchie on this one.

Probably should have at least spelled Steve's name properly

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Sheats trumps Richie on this one.

Nuff said.

#20 10 years ago

Star Trek.

#21 10 years ago

With a code update for Metallica, this is dead even

I would pick the theme that you feel you would want long term.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Sheats trumps Richie on this one.

Oh Snap!

#24 10 years ago

Fry the little bastard all day long............

#25 10 years ago

+1 for ST also I believe ST will get better software/code support going forward.

#26 10 years ago

Star Trek Star Trek Star Trek. It's faster, game code is more complete, and it will hold its value. Metallica just doesn't do it for me. Layout and rules are weird, and have fun rebuilding those flippers earlier than normal when you can't make those freakishly steep ramps anymore.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The clear coat had been fantastic. It's bit noticeably worse than the LE models. Stern clear has been great since xmen on my opinion

That's good to know. Thanks!

#28 10 years ago

The clear on my STLE looks fantastic!

#29 10 years ago

Both machines are good I would go with the theme you like the most...

#30 10 years ago

If you like the ST theme, go with it. Art you hang on the wall, it is not going to make you want to play it more. I have played both and think you can not go wrong with either. Buy one now, and hopefully get the other down the road.

#31 10 years ago

ST for sure. Met will be much better with layman's code drop. But ST is just so good hard to beat that pin.

#32 10 years ago

ST. No question. Next?

#33 10 years ago

If you're tied between pins you may want to consider resale value at some point?
Which has the most fans prepared to buy a pre-loved pin, the Trekkies or the Metalheads?

#35 10 years ago

So witch one will have better resale? Will they make more or less then one? Is there more trekkie fans in pins? If someone had $5000 cash what pin would be best to have down th road?

#36 10 years ago

You like the theme of ST better, that is the one you should get.

#37 10 years ago

Unless you are a big fan of the met band, always chose start trek.

#38 10 years ago

Met..... hook up a powered sub and shake the walls

#39 10 years ago

Metallica!!!!!!

Acting like a maniac, WHIPLASH!!!!!!!

#40 10 years ago

Are you a rock'er or a nerd. Sorry,sad but true.

#41 10 years ago

I have played both a lot and code is pretty weak on both right now but still enjoyable. Sparky toy is just awesome! I like the layout in both a lot. Both pins are awesome but for me anyways theme is very important. I just got a Metallica but I really like the band and it just has a really cool/fun vibe to it! The ramps are awesome and very satisfying to hit. With an update Metallica will be over the top! I vote Metallica

#42 10 years ago

Well the star treks just sold so it's Metallica nothing....

#43 10 years ago

Karl urban power pack coming soon looks exciting for ST. Keep that in mind.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Well the star treks just sold so it's Metallica nothing....

My vote is for Metallica but u realize that u can get either for going rate since they are current games right?

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

My vote is for Metallica but u realize that u can get either for going rate since they are current games right?

I understand... but what is your "going rate"...

#46 10 years ago

Star Trek unless you are a big fan of Metallica. I don't own either but have played both quite a bit, also not a fan of the Star Trek theme, but the game play is head and shoulders above Metallica imho

#47 10 years ago

I have played both at least 40-50 times. I have to say, Metallica looks the best for a pro out of the box (see Tron), but Star Trek plays better, and has more longevity. I think for me if new code changes Metallica drastically, I may change my tune, but ST has so much "one more game" in it, its hard for me to not choose it. I have contemplated both as well often, and I think I would choose ST, but they are both so good.. I have waited b/c I dont want to regret either one... I know exactly your dilemma... now if I could just afford an ACDC prem....

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I understand... but what is your "going rate"...

I assume he means NIB. I haven't checked prices lately, so that's what, $4200-4500?

#49 10 years ago

I love playing both, so you will be happy with whichever you pick! You can always trade it or sell it and buy the other later!

#50 10 years ago

As of now...

Love the Metallica theme and look of the machine. Was fun for a while but now I find it a bit boring. Usually a game for me entails bashing sparky until mb, then bash him and whatever else some more once in mb. The mb part is certainly fun though.

I had almost written off ST on theme alone before it came out, but the gameplay is just too good to ignore. It's an adrenaline ride. The warp ramp is a great challenge. Locking klingon mb is great risk/reward. Needing to hit specific shots to finish the modes. Needing to do well on modes in limited time to cash in on the Kobayashi/whatever it is mb. You can't repeat the initially easy to get vengeance mb without having to finish the other two nasty vengeance modes before you can get it. The outlanes respond well to nudging. At this point I think it is my favourite pin.

Ideally I'd own both, but I'd by far go ST first if they were the same price.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

7,600 (OBO)
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-pro-vs-startrek-pro-help-pick-my-first-nib and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.