Topic poll

“If I had to pick one, I would rather own...”

• Metallica Pro 135 votes
    75%
  • Aerosmith Pro 44 votes
    25%

(179 votes)

#1 7 years ago

I know it's early for Aerosmith, but eventually my decision will come down to these 2. Which do you think will end up being the better pin long term? Yes, I know that nobody has really had a chance to play Aerosmith yet, we are all going off of the videos and pics. I know it's still way to early to do a proper comparison, especially on gameplay since Aerosmith is not actually out yet and in our hands. This thread is just for fun.

#2 7 years ago

Metallica is an exceptional game, so if you can get a used one with mods at a decent price, get it. Aerosmith looks fantastic as well, but I feel Stern is biting off more than they can chew on coding........Which means, who knows when the code will be completed?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Metallica is an exceptional game, so if you can get a used on with mods at a decent price, get it. Aerosmith looks fantastic as well, but I feel Stern is biting off more than they can chew on coding........Which means, who knows when the code will be completed?

I can't stop thinking about the inline drop targets on Metallica. I've always loved inline drops on games and I would really miss them on Aerosmith as I only have the cash to buy one or the other.

#4 7 years ago

Get Met now, and see what happens with AS. Met is an absolute 10 and a proven winner. AS has a layout that is WAY too similar to Kiss for my liking, and the coding is a huge question mark right now.

If AS ends up being a classic, you can dump Met for it without much trouble. There will always be a line of buyers for Met when you go to sell, and you get to enjoy a great game in the interim.

#5 7 years ago

I voted Aerosmith because the layouts are similar and I grew up listening to Rocks, Toys in the Attic and Get your Wings.

#6 7 years ago

Unlike in acdc, the songs are meaningless in Metallica, you just pick which one you want to listen to while playing, kind of lame actually. Only in crank it up is the song choice associated with a mode. If Aerosmith songs are tied to modes, could be a better game. That said, Metallica is a great playing game.

#7 7 years ago

I vote Metallica

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Unlike in acdc, the songs are meaningless in Metallica, you just pick which one you want to listen to while playing, kind of lame actually. Only in crank it up is the song choice associated with a mode. If Aerosmith songs are tied to modes, could be a better game. That said, Metallica is a great playing game.

I understand what you are saying. But I do like that I can pick the song in Metallica, not sure if I'd trade that for the game deciding based on modes. My vote for now is Metallica, the lack of inline drops on Aerosmith is the deal breaker for me, at least for now anyway. Watching the early gameplay videos of Aerosmith, the music doesn't get the adrenaline flowing as much as MET.

#9 7 years ago

Exactly, Aerosmith's music is a snooze fest compared to METALLICA. Metal rules!

#10 7 years ago

Here we go again. Comparing something most have played to something nobody has played.

#11 7 years ago

^^ Talking about the music from each band in general.

#12 7 years ago

Metallica!!!!!!!!..........

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Metallica!!!!!!!!..........

Wait.. what? You like Metallica?

#14 7 years ago

How could anyone choose when Aerosmith isn't even released yet let alone the year its going to take for code to hopefully be completed, Met wasn't all that great until code matured, sorry but this a stupid poll.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Exactly, Aerosmith's music is a snooze fest compared to METALLICA. Metal rules!

The songs Stern used for the met pin are not energetic enough for the movement of pinball.

I own the game and love it, but the comment of the music being a snooze is wrongly compared.

#16 7 years ago

Songs in Metallica are specific for more than CIU modes. Blackened for the pick targets. Master of puppets for cross MB. Creeping death/ Ride the Lightning for Sparky MB, Fuel for fuel targets hurry up, AJFA for super ramps of sorts. Most songs have a purpose, just not modes.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

The songs Stern used for the met pin are not energetic enough for the movement of pinball.
I own the game and love it, but the comment of the music being a snooze is wrongly compared.

Huh, Blackened, Master of Puppets, Battery, Creeping Death, Ride the Lighting not energetic enough for pinball? I changed out the slow songs too. Aerosmith is a bore compared to these songs. Lay off the crack pipe.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Huh, Blackened, Master of Puppets, Battery, Creeping Death, Ride the Lighting not energetic enough for pinball? I changed out the slow songs too. Aerosmith is a bore compared to these songs. Lay off the crack pipe.

You just confirmed my point of the slow songs needing a change.

And the of the more energetic songs, the intros are just insanely long.

Having had an acdc and a Metallica side by side, it makes a much more drastic contrast.

Nothing against the game at all.

#19 7 years ago

If you went this long without buying a Met then you can wait a little longer until Aero start coming out where you can play one. I own a met and can say it is a kickass game with great music.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Duff:

Songs in Metallica are specific for more than CIU modes. Blackened for the pick targets. Master of puppets for cross MB. Creeping death/ Ride the Lightning for Sparky MB, Fuel for fuel targets hurry up, AJFA for super ramps of sorts. Most songs have a purpose, just not modes.

Interesting, how does the game indicate this? When I change songs before a ball is played, nothing changes on the playfield or on the dmd.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Interesting, how does the game indicate this? When I change songs before a ball is played, nothing changes on the playfield or on the dmd.

These are modes you earn in play. The song you choose will stop and the representative song will play throughout until the mode ends

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

These are modes you earn in play. The song you choose will stop and the representative song will play throughout until the mode ends

Thx, I have a lot to learn, have the game less than a month, it's so fast and furious, hard to keep track of what's going on. My main strategy has been to hit the snake, cross and sparky and then hit the strobing shot followed by the coffin hurry up. I hit a couple of those and the CIU lights.

#23 7 years ago

In the OP's defense, it's not hard to imagine how Aerosmith might play, it has the same design team as KISS (hardware and software), and the layouts are very similar.

#24 7 years ago

I have owned my Metallica pen for about a year now and after seeing the videos for Aerosmith I can guarantee I will not be buying one. First of all I think they ripped off the design from kiss and I really don't like playing that game either. As for the Aerosmith music it's OK.

#25 7 years ago

Hey OP, I am amongst the first deliveries of AS pro and it will be going in right next to my Met Pro. I'll put a compare right in this thread.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Hey OP, I am amongst the first deliveries of AS pro and it will be going in right next to my Met Pro. I'll put a compare right in this thread.

SWEET! When do you think you'll get it?

#27 7 years ago

I hate to pile on to the heap of praise Lyman already gets here, but one big plus on the MET column is LFS.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Thx, I have a lot to learn, have the game less than a month, it's so fast and furious, hard to keep track of what's going on. My main strategy has been to hit the snake, cross and sparky and then hit the strobing shot followed by the coffin hurry up. I hit a couple of those and the CIU lights.

CIU lights by completing the set number of grave marker, electric chair, snake, and coffin. (15 each is factory, it's adjustable in settings)
All but the coffin can be completed by lighting the insert at other shots, then making that shot. The coffin can only be completed at the captive ball. The tutorial video shows how to light the other inserts so your favorite shot makes progress towards CIU.
Tutorial -

Rules wiki - http://tiltforums.com/t/metallica-wiki-rulesheet/228

#29 7 years ago

Metallica is in the top 10 all time. That's like, what, top 1%?

If you're comparing it to games you've never played, there is a 99% chance that Metallica is better than whatever that other game is (according to the consensus).

I don't really like them as a band, but the game is amazing.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from attitude05:

I have owned my Metallica pen for about a year now and after seeing the videos for Aerosmith I can guarantee I will not be buying one. First of all I think they ripped off the design from kiss and I really don't like playing that game either. As for the Aerosmith music it's OK.

Sign me up for a METALLICA pen! I love souvenirs

#32 7 years ago

Met Pro is bad ass!

I voted Aerosmith because it is a game I do not have and I am interested in!

I wish "Dream on"was in the song list...

1 week later
#33 7 years ago

Buy MET play 18 months sell then buy AS

#34 7 years ago

If 'I' Personally had to buy one of these, it would be Aerosmith. But that's only cause ive played the F*** out of metallica and have owned one in the past. If a friend asked me which to buy and they don't have experience on either machine, i'd say Metallica wins hands down.

6 months later
#35 6 years ago

I'm bumping the thread in the hopes we can have an answer from people who have owned both for a while now. I am dead set on owning a Metallica, but I played Aerosmith the other day and was blown away. I still think I want a Metallica simply because I'm swayed by how highly it's ranked... but I'd love to hear some educated opinions from people here.

#36 6 years ago

Aerosmith is a fun game but metallica pro is the best pro stern has ever made

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm bumping the thread in the hopes we can have an answer from people who have owned both for a while now. I am dead set on owning a Metallica, but I played Aerosmith the other day and was blown away. I still think I want a Metallica simply because I'm swayed by how highly it's ranked... but I'd love to hear some educated opinions from people here.

In my opinion the answer to your question is an easy one, which band do you like the most? After you answer that question, buy that game. Both games are obviously great so you can't go wrong either way. Every MET owner is gonna say buy MET, and every AS owner is going to say buy AS. Also if you were blown away by AS the first time you played it, i can tell you that it gets better every time you play it. I am addicted to it big time now and when I very first bought it I thought it was just ok.

For me personally I tried MET twice and I just don't care for it that much. I think it's because I'm just not a big Metallica fan though more than anything. It's hard to enjoy a music pin no matter how good it is if you don't enjoy the music. Some other advice I can give you is, don't worry about what other people rank MET, buy whatever is the most fun to YOU, and only YOU can decide that. These are both very good games, play them both and decide for yourself.

#38 6 years ago

Well the problem is I'm not desperately in love with either band. But I'm a fan of food pinball. I'd play a game of pinball even if the theme was mayonnaise as long as it was am awesome game.

#39 6 years ago

I own AS premium, and it's a fantastic game, I've played a about 10 games of Metallica it's also a fantastic game, my decision was between the two, it came down to the fact I felt AS was a little more kid friendly, it honesty just comes down to what band you think is better, unless you have kids lol

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Well the problem is I'm not desperately in love with either band. But I'm a fan of food pinball. I'd play a game of pinball even if the theme was mayonnaise as long as it was am awesome game.

I'm actually not an AS fan either that much but it's more my style of music. After owning the game now though I find myself really enjoying the AS music. It's great music for pinball.

#41 6 years ago

I'm not a big AS fan but the music they choose is really the best of the bunch except for Elevator but it all works well, Met I've owned and while I was fan as a yute until the Black album the music fits pinball action and the pin is great, I would opt for a Pre though as the lighting effects are something special and I like the spinners and hammer, still the pro is fun, both games are damn fun, I would say Met now and Aerosmith when code is complete.

#42 6 years ago

I first want to say they are different and can coexist.
If one had to go it would be AS. AS has some cool features but since in a mediocre player the ramps and orbits are smoother and easier for me to hit on Met.
Concerning Met I couldn't name or knew any songs.
Now I do and I actually like them.

#43 6 years ago

Regardless of your musical taste, I have to go with Metallica. I have way more fun playing that game than Aerosmith.

#44 6 years ago

The votes tell the story. I had a trade with an operator that offered me AS or MET NIB. I almost chose AS because of the new display and I liked the music better. I chose MET, a proven winner that I had played a half dozen tines before. I played an AS the day after I got MET and was so happy with my choice. AS just does not have enough fun shots and I had no interest in playing any more. This was 5 months ago and I have 400 games on MET.

#45 6 years ago

I played both many times at Pintastic a few weeks ago, my goal was to find a game I liked enough to buy NIB. I originally wanted to buy a Star Wars but after playing it I was underwhelmed. Anyway, having played both Aerosmith and Metallica... my new METALLICA ARRIVED LAST WEEK...

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from davids1024:

my new METALLICA ARRIVED LAST WEEK...

I own both AS Pro & MET premium & it would be very difficult to choose between the two. When AS was first released many said that AS played very similar to MET. That cannot be further from the truth. They are completely different flowing games. They're also 2 of the best pins out there IMO. Still, if I had to choose I'd go MET. It is truly a masterpiece!

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from MacLean:

I own both AS Pro & MET premium & it would be very difficult to choose between the two. When AS was first released many said that AS played very similar to MET. That cannot be further from the truth. They are completely different flowing games. They're also 2 of the best pins out there IMO. Still, if I had to choose I'd go MET. It is truly a masterpiece!

I agree. They aren't even sort of alike. The thing that I find about AS is that it's very random. I think MET is more skill based. Now, don't get me wrong, you need to have skill to make your shots in AS, but if you get in the pops: good luck. If you hit Jacky in the face: good luck. If you hit the ball lock but it doesn't go in the toy box: good luck. If you hit the magnet on Jacky: good luck. It's random. You'll get drains for doing nothing wrong. Metallica, on the other had, if you hit your shots, you're gonna get the ball back. The only one that is risky is the coffin shot. The rest are very much coming back to your flippers.

1 month later
#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Metallica, on the other had, if you hit your shots, you're gonna get the ball back. The only one that is risky is the coffin shot. The rest are very much coming back to your flippers.

....and hitting Sparky dead-on with the left flipper...and not hitting the left ramp hard enough where it rolls SDTM...and hitting some of the picks certain ways, other than that, you're good.

5 months later
#49 6 years ago

Did you post a comparison? On another thread?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,600 (OBO)
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 12.75
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

6,984 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 12.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-pro-vs-aerosmith-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.