Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00285 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Ive had this Metallica pro for a few years and never updated the code. So a couple days ago went ahead and updated to 1.7, everything went fine. Well, now the game is acting up...for example its awarding primarily grave marker hits at random, as soon as the ball is launched, and when the ball hits various other switches. No rhyme or reason to which switches are setting it off. I pressed down the right orbit switch about fifteen-twenty times, it awarded a grave marker hit twice. Also awarding sparky hits from the wrong switches, and starting sparky multiball. The band member switches are awarding sparky hits and grave markers, and it just started grave multiball while i was standing here with one of the balls out of the game and no ball even in the shooter lane. Basically its freaking the eff out.
This game worked flawlessly ever since I got it until the update. What should I do, reload the update or is something else going on?
Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.

#2 6 years ago

I'd go into switch test and see if any are stuck closed that should be open, and any vibration sets off.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

I would reload the new code and make sure to follow the process correctly

#4 6 years ago

Also make sure you have the pro code installed, not the premium code.

Rob

#5 6 years ago

Did switch test, all good there. Gonna reload the code and make sure its pro code, good call. Will report back.

#6 6 years ago

If not too late : before installing a new code, ALWAYS take a copy (dump) of the current (in use) code, so if needed you can go back.

#7 6 years ago

A good dump in the morning before a code update feels great

#8 6 years ago

Unfortunately I was not .....OK, I was being a dumbass and didnt back up the old code. Sure wish I would have!
Reloaded the 1.7 code again and same thing. First game or two is fine. Then just a couple times in the third or fourth game it will give a few unwarranted grave marker or sparky hits.
By the time you start game number 6 or 7 its going off pretty much non stop with sparky/ grave hits, like its an infection that gets worse as time goes on. Not vibration and not switches. It will do it with no ball in play.
Dont know what to do next, I guess Im going to try a different flash drive and load it up again. If I get the same results I guess Im gonna ask around for to see if anyone has a copy of an older update or something. If anyone has had a similar experience, please let me know how you got it resolved. Thanks!

#9 6 years ago

I feel like this could be switches... how are you sure this isn’t related to the switches malfunctioning and totally unrelated to the code?

Marc

#10 6 years ago

Press and hold the left flipper button when turning on your game, this will force it to do perform a checksum against the code in order to validate that it installed correctly.

DSC00285 (resized).JPGDSC00285 (resized).JPG

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

like its an infection that gets worse as time goes on.

Probably warming up and failing. Leave it turned on, and play it until it acts up, and then try the switch test.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I feel like this could be switches... how are you sure this isn’t related to the switches malfunctioning and totally unrelated to the code?
Marc

Because it worked fine until the code update and went crazy immediately after I updated.
And switch test checks out fine. Seems like the update caused this, dont know why the switches would suddenly go all wack, didnt move the game or fiddle with any switches.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Press and hold the left flipper button when turning on your game, this will force it to do perform a checksum against the code in order to validate that it installed correctly.

Verification successful. About to reload with a different flash drive to see if that helps.

#14 6 years ago

Gents, Im going to go ahead and admit that it looks like the embarassing ending to this story was that dip switch # 7 had been bumped into the on position during the update.
Flipped it back to full off, power cycled and played several games with zero issues.
Keeping my fingers crossed, thanks for the advice, and Happy New Year!

#15 6 years ago

Gents, Im going to go ahead and admit that it looks like the embarassing ending to this story was that dip switch # 7 had been bumped into the on position during the update.
Flipped it back to full off, power cycled and played several games with zero issues.
Keeping my fingers crossed, thanks for the advice, and Happy New Year!

Awesome news that it was an easy fix, thank for updating us!

#16 6 years ago

If nothing else this forum is a place to vent your problem while you think you will never figure out the problem. Just to find out it is a relatively easy fix. I’ve done it many times and it helps to vent. Congratulations on finding the problem

#17 6 years ago

dip switch # 7 had been bumped into the on position during the update.

Very easy to do and just as easy to miss ... glad to hear you found the issue.

#18 6 years ago

Thank you for reporting your issue and fix. This will help others in the future avoid the same issue.

#19 6 years ago

Yes the venting did help. Thanks again all, for the suggestions and advice. I have one other question regarding the update if anyone can assisst.
Now, the shaker motor shakes so hard that it damn near shakes the pictures off the walls! I went from version 1.5 which had a comparatively mellow shake to 1.7. I am assuming along the way they changed the shaker strength in the code.
The difference is immense. I went to adjustments and turned the shaker down to the lowest setting, but I guess that effects the frequency that the shaker comes on, not the strength of the shaker. Now, the shaker is causing me marital strife because it blasts so loud it can be heard everywhere in the house. Is there a setting/ method to quiet it down again? Thanks in advance!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,600 (OBO)
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 149.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-pro-updated-code-now-having-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.