(Topic ID: 271100)

Metallica Pro Switch Matrix Issue w/diag.

By scottieIA

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Jayg1981
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200616_171910_resized (resized).jpg
20200616_171914_resized_1 (resized).jpg
Metallica Switch Matrix Issue (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Symptom

If the shoot again lights are lit and the ball is shot into the right scoop, another ball is auto ejected (also left bumper will click and drain sounds) you get a two ball multiball.

Diag.

In order for it to happen you need three balls in the trough (if there are 2 or less balls in the trough, the issue will not occur.) Switch #19 is 3rd ball trough switch. The Right Scoop Switch #51 has to be closed. Then the #28 Right Return Lane, #29 Right Outlane, and #30 Left Pop Bumper activates. If the shoot again lights are lit, it just seen a ghosted #29 Right Outlane Switch activate and incorrectly thinking you just drained, auto ejects another ball into the shooter lane and auto plunges it.

Also I believe this to be connected with the problem by looking at the switch matrix diagram. I'm leaning but not entirely convinced its a board issue. If I unplug the both return and sending switch matrix connectors(J1 J6 J12) from the CPU/Sound PC Board; Switches #60, #61, #62 activate. They are the graveyard 3 in-line drop targets. If the connectors (J1, J6 ,J12) are plugged in they are no longer active. I didn't think too much about this until I looked at the switch matrix and it completes the lower right corner of my ghosting problem. I don't know why the #60, #61, #62 show activated with the connectors are unplugged from the board.

It is a location game that I do not own and I don't have any other SAM boards to swap out with it. I removed the board today and really took a look at it and nothing physically was noted. Tomorrow I am going to focus on the three inline drop targets and experiment with them as a source of the problem. Tomorrow is my last day to work on it before I'll be gone for a week so if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know and I will look at it tomorrow. Thanks!

Attached are pictures of the board unplugged with the dot matrix screen showing #60, #61, and #62 activated. The last picture is the switch matrix wiring diagram.

20200616_171910_resized (resized).jpg20200616_171910_resized (resized).jpg20200616_171914_resized_1 (resized).jpg20200616_171914_resized_1 (resized).jpgMetallica Switch Matrix Issue (resized).jpgMetallica Switch Matrix Issue (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Check the transistors?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 29.95
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 25.50
$ 32.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 12.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.