Topic poll

“What version of Metallica Pro would you rather?”

• SAM 2 votes
    67%
  • Whitestar 1 vote
    33%

(3 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 1 year ago

Metallica Pro will very likely be my next game, so I'm curious to know your thoughts on what version you think is best... The original or the newer LED version?

I understand that the LED version is brand new and might cost a few dollars more, so let's not put that in as one of the deciding factors.

Cheers

#2 1 year ago

Can't go wrong with either board set, especially if you have a ColorDMD. Both board sets are reliable. Though on Whitestar boards, get rid of the batteries and install 6264 NVRAM and forget about any potential board damage caused by leaking batteries.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Damien:

Metallica Pro will very likely be my next game, so I'm curious to know your thoughts on what version you think is best... SAM or Whitestar?
I understand that the LED version is brand new and might cost a few dollars more, so let's not put that in as one of the deciding factors.
Cheers

All versions of Met are SAM

#4 1 year ago

Do you mean the wood backbox version with incandescent bulbs vs metal backbox with led bulbs?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Do you mean the wood backbox version with incandescent bulbs vs metal backbox with led bulbs?

Yes, I had read one is SAM and one is WS. Is that wrong?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Damien:

Yes, I had read one is SAM and one is WS. Is that wrong?

Yes. All versions of Met are SAM.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Yes. All versions of Met are SAM.

Interesting... Ok, changed subject, but unfortunately can't edit poll.

So are the LEDs on this just upgraded incandescent bulbs to LEDs or are there actual LED boards used?

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Damien:

Interesting... Ok, changed subject, but unfortunately can't edit poll.
So are the LEDs on this just upgraded incandescent bulbs to LEDs or are there actual LED boards used?

Incandescents are swapped with LEDS. There are also some small resistor boards installed on the lamp matrix connectors to the MPU. The LED version is much better lit and very bright right out of the box. Gameplay is identical. I prefer the newer metal backbox due to the DMD angle away from the PF glass to reduce glare. Just a matter of preference, you can't go wrong either way.

#9 1 year ago

All Metallica games use SAM. Woorden and Metal backbox editions.

I do prefer the LED version because I was going to replace the bulbs with LED’s anyway.
Also like the newer metal backbox better for multiple reasons:

- More durable backbox. (think unscrewing/screwing certain parts multiple times)
- DMD is slighted tilted to the back so produces less reflections on the glass.
- Newer (LED) DMD looks more modern and is closer to the glass.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
$ 50.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, WI

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside