(Topic ID: 56689)

Metallica Pro PF not drilled for the "support slide bracket"?

By snaroff

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1996.JPG
IMG_1995.JPG
IMG_1994.JPG
image.jpg
zoinks_(1).jpg
IMG_1988.JPG
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I'm not sure you understand what a "business decision" truly is.

I know the OP and I am pretty sure he knows about business decisions. His argument is that cheaping out on something of this nature is in fact a bad cost cutting measure...they could charge $20 more for the pin and people would be willing to pay it for this feature. Sometimes you cut things out that people want and have dissatisfied customers costing you sales. These rails seem pretty important to me if you cant shop the game properly without them?

#52 10 years ago

Unfortunately, this thread is very typical of what we've been seeing on Pinside a lot lately. A person starts a thread, and then it immediately turns hostile for no good reason. Even if you don't agree with the OP, why do you guys have to be so nasty? Think about it, did the OP's comments truly warrant such negative responses? Unless you work for Stern, it's not as if the criticism was aimed at you. The OP was simply looking for some clarity on the situation. Yes, he was venting a bit as well, but so what. We all do it from time to time. Some of you really need to lighten up.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Unfortunately, this thread is very typical of what we've been seeing on Pinside a lot lately. A person starts a thread, and then it immediately turns hostile for no good reason. Even if you don't agree with the OP, why do you guys have to be so nasty? Think about it, did the OP's comments truly warrant such negative responses? Unless you work for Stern, it's not as if the criticism was aimed at you. The OP was simply looking for some clarity on the situation. Yes, he was venting a bit as well, but so what. We all do it from time to time. Some of you really need to lighten up.

I see your point, and I agree threads take a turn for the nasty too quickly these days. Sadly, it's not just on pinside. People tend to be much more passionate in their comments online than if we were all discussing the same issue in a bar while having a beer.

That being said, we all play a part in the escalation of a thread like this. A comment that would roll off our backs in a bar, gets read and re-read, and allows us minutes, not seconds, to respond (and since it's in print in front of us, it doesn't just go away like an offhand comment).

One person complains about Stern not adding this part at the factory for $$ added cost, another person calls them silly, they respond with the "fanboy" stuff, and it escalates.

In a bar, we'd be laughing and buying each other additional rounds and generally letting it go. On here, we all want to get the last word in after staring at the latest round of comments, etc.

Point taken, though.

#54 10 years ago

These Topic that get's into people getting pissed are everywhere!

Pretty bored,i d'ont even read 1/4 of it.

#55 10 years ago

Snaroff, did you call Stern and let them know your feedback?

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Wanted to avoid commenting on your insightful comment but can't resist...
Why do you think JJP doesn't short change it's customers on rails/brackets? Because they care about the customer, know it's important to properly maintain the machine, and know it's not a profit/loss item.

Which JJP model costs around $4500 again?

Quoted from Mando:

I know the OP and I am pretty sure he knows about business decisions. His argument is that cheaping out on something of this nature is in fact a bad cost cutting measure...they could charge $20 more for the pin and people would be willing to pay it for this feature. Sometimes you cut things out that people want and have dissatisfied customers costing you sales. These rails seem pretty important to me if you cant shop the game properly without them?

But you actually can shop the game properly without them. It's a little less convenient but still pretty easy to work on. The pin can rest on the slingshot coil brackets pretty well. I would rather not have all prices raises by $20 for this feature. It's better for those that want it to purchase it themselves. But this wasn't even the issue the OP brought here. He was complaining that the holes weren't pre drilled. I installed mine without drilling any holes. It's no biggie.

#57 10 years ago

You guys do realize that by not drilling the holes in the Pro PF it's not a cost savings for Stern right? If they're having to run two *different* playfields, with the difference being Pro vs Prem/LE, then it's costing them more in terms of having to stock and control two different part numbers instead of one. The cost savings of not drilling those holes? Pretty close to zero since when it's on the milling machine that's just part of the program and they'd only save seconds. There's more labor cost in setup time to change out the program, run different playfields, track them all as two inventory items, etc.

While there's a small savings in not *providing* the playfield slide supports, there's no savings in not drilling the holes and having just one playfield.

#58 10 years ago

^ +1

I'm not sure why it's immediately assumed it's a cost-saving measure. Sometimes, when you have offerings in a "Good, Better, Best" layout (like pinball machine versions), you need to have some forced separation between the benefits at each level.

Maybe eliminating the holes from the pro was a way to widen that separation a bit.

And maybe someone just forgot to put them on the Pro cad drawings....

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

I know the OP and I am pretty sure he knows about business decisions. His argument is that cheaping out on something of this nature is in fact a bad cost cutting measure...they could charge $20 more for the pin and people would be willing to pay it for this feature.

Yes and his argument is (in Sterns opinion) wrong. Stern thinks it is a good cost cutting measure. I don't have a horse int he race so I can't say one way or another, but the fact is, I don't see their products gathering dust on shelves these days. Let's think about another business decision - you're right that they could charge $20 more for these machines and people would pay it. I'd do it, and STILL not put those parts back in. Now I'm making $40 more...

Sometimes you cut things out that people want and have dissatisfied customers costing you sales.

Yes but in this case, that is not the case. The machines are being bought regardless of what lockdown bar is or isnt in the game. Hence, good business decision.

These rails seem pretty important to me if you cant shop the game properly without them?

Thats like saying power windows are a necessity. Pro machines get the job done and ultimately, the gameplay is not suffering in any way. Servicing is easily done albeit with more hassle - Should we all boycott old system 6 games because the playfield pivots like crap and theres not playfield rails?. Premiums have all the added luxuries, and even those models are dialed back from 'the old days' but guess what? They sell. Again great business decision from Stern dispite the fact that I now have to add side armor and better speakers. Until the machines stop selling, nothing will change.

In the end, everyone can read up on what they are buying, and try it out for themselves. If you don't like the missing options, buy a better machine, pay someone to install it, or move on to something else. Stern is no differnet than any other company. They don't make these machines as a favor to you or me - they HAVE to make money, and as much of it as possible. They aren't the hobbyists, they can't lose money on these machines so that everyone can have 100% of what they feel is fair and fun.

#60 10 years ago

They're going to have to stock two different playfields regardless. There's a big hole drilled for the coffin lock on the Prem/LE.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

You guys do realize that by not drilling the holes in the Pro PF it's not a cost savings for Stern right? If they're having to run two *different* playfields, with the difference being Pro vs Prem/LE, then it's costing them more in terms of having to stock and control two different part numbers instead of one. The cost savings of not drilling those holes? Pretty close to zero since when it's on the milling machine that's just part of the program and they'd only save seconds. There's more labor cost in setup time to change out the program, run different playfields, track them all as two inventory items, etc.
While there's a small savings in not *providing* the playfield slide supports, there's no savings in not drilling the holes and having just one playfield.

The only counter to that is we're assuming those little holes are the ONLY difference and are the only part of the decision. Maybe they had issues with cabinets and playfield bars not aligning with the CNC cut holes (CPR can attest to alignment issues on playfields I'm sure) so they have some new fancy jig to install the parts where you drill those holes manually before installing parts that are guaranteed to fit. Thus pro playfields wouldn't go through such a process because its would be wasted time and money.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Snaroff, did you call Stern and let them know your feedback?

Good suggestion. I'll send an email off to Gomez (who I've corresponded with on other topics).

btw...TRON/Metallica Pro are the first 2 Pro's I've ever owned. Prior to this, I've owned TSPP, LOTR , POTC, AC/DC Premium...they all have the slide rails. I believe the rails are essential for maintaining the pin. I know many other collectors who feel the same way.

Happened to install the TRON rails in 5-10 minutes...real smooth. Open up Metallica and ran into this "speed bump" (which motivated this post).

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

And maybe someone just forgot to put them on the Pro cad drawings....

Bingo. That's what I would bet. When you are doing 2 different PF's, it's easy to forget a convenience feature like this. Let's face it, the pre-drilled holes were done on AC/DC Pro. Providing the holes just help ensure the common extension is installed properly...cost them nothing to do.

#65 10 years ago

Stern isn't doing this for cost savings, they are doing it to make you feel like have to have the LE @ 7.5k. No LEDs, metal apron, playfield rails, now spinners...no problem. Just pony up 3k more and you can get these must have features.

I personally would rather see the LE's add significant features, not just keep ones that were stripped from the Pros.

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Wrong. Definitely Sterns fault if every Pro prior to Metallica was pre-drilled for the T-nuts.
I honestly can't imagine Stern made a conscious decision not to pre-drill for this very common mod.

so you think stern is responsible for making sure you can mod the product easier? thats not their job. The PF's are made on different runs due to the cutouts being different, the pro's dont come with slides, they are not going to cut for them.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Stern isn't doing this for cost savings, they are doing it to make you feel like have to have the LE @ 7.5k. No LEDs, metal apron, playfield rails, now spinners...no problem. Just pony up 3k more and you can get these must have features.
I personally would rather see the LE's add significant features, not just keep ones that were stripped from the Pros.

I understand they want folks to "upgrade" to the Premium/LE. No one is going to buy the upgraded versions for PF support glides. Again, my argument is the PF glides are essential, not a luxury.

As you say, folks buy the LE's if it adds significant features. Couldn't agree more. I'd actually love to see LE's that really kick butt. For example, how about stereo and audio at least as capable as the Flipper Fidelity speakers? How can MET LE offer the same lousy audio as the Pro? Makes no sense.

How about clear coating and powder coating endorsed by high-end restoration experts (like Chris Hutchins and Ron Kruzman)? What a concept to partner with other experts in the field of pinball audio & restoration. How about non-glare glass? How about headphone jacks? How about Sigma displays? Stern would be able to sell an LE with these features for 10k or more.

While some of these features are easy to add-on, some are not (the biggest one being a respectable clear coat). I just got a Paragon PF back from Ron Kruzman and that's a clear coat. The Stern clear coat jobs have gotten progressively worse.

Stern won't do this because it's not in their DNA. Fortunately, Pinball Refinery is in biz to fill some of the void. Just as well, since Stern's power coating is cheap. Just got an IM power coated by NimblePin and it blows away my AC/DC Premium.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

so you think stern is responsible for making sure you can mod the product easier? thats not their job. The PF's are made on different runs due to the cutouts being different, the pro's dont come with slides, they are not going to cut for them.

If it's not their job, then why did they pre-drill the holes on all Pro's prior to Metallica?

It's not an arbitrary 3rd party "mod"...it's a bracket that ships on all other Stern models.

I think we've beat this one to death...looks like anyone adding the PF supports will have to whip out the 13/64 drill bit and measure themselves where to drill the holes. Rather than a 10-15 minute job, it's now a 30 minute job. Whatever!

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Good suggestion. I'll send an email off to Gomez (who I've corresponded with on other topics).

I think that's the right thing to do. Let Stern know you miss the holes. They could be sitting around the office right now going "well, nobody had any feedback, so I guess they don't miss those holes on the pro."

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I understand they want folks to "upgrade" to the Premium/LE. No one is going to buy the upgraded versions for PF support glides. Again, my argument is the PF glides are essential, not a luxury.

if something is essential, that would mean the game wont work correctly without it. The flippers are essential to the game, without them the game is not the same. The game is fully serviceable with the lame posts as opposed to the slides.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

If it's not their job, then why did they pre-drill the holes on all Pro's prior to Metallica?
It's not an arbitrary 3rd party "mod"...it's a bracket that ships on all other Stern models.
I think we've beat this one to death...looks like anyone adding the PF supports will have to whip out the 13/64 drill bit and measure themselves where to drill the holes. Rather than a 10-15 minute job, it's now a 30 minute job. Whatever!

the fact its not on the pro model means by defaults its an arbitrary mod for the pro. Its not on the game as manufactured, therefore its an arbitrary mod on that model.
They stopped drilling since it is not required. Save a few seconds on each PF saves money. drill fewer holes saves wear on the equipment, is it much on an individual PF basis, no. But they may choose to do this on every PF going forward for Pros. Over time that is a lot of wear and tear on the CNC. Less travel needed on the heads, less bit wear from drilling, it all adds up. If people stopped buying the pros because of the posts. stern would need to re-evaluate if the associated costs were worth dropping the post and going all slides, or going back to putting in holes at least.

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

the fact its not on the pro model means by defaults its an arbitrary mod for the pro. Its not on the game as manufactured, therefore its an arbitrary mod on that model.
They stopped drilling since it is not required. Save a few seconds on each PF saves money. drill fewer holes saves wear on the equipment, is it much on an individual PF basis, no. But they may choose to do this on every PF going forward for Pros. Over time that is a lot of wear and tear on the CNC. Less travel needed on the heads, less bit wear from drilling, it all adds up. If people stopped buying the pros because of the posts. stern would need to re-evaluate if the associated costs were worth dropping the post and going all slides, or going back to putting in holes at least.

Cost savings? CNC wear and tear? Don't believe either of these.

Just remembered there is already a precedent that supports my view (that removing the holes was simply an oversight/mistake). Ever since TRON, Stern has pre-drilled holes and included brackets/screws that simplify the installation of a shaker motor. Making common mods easy to install benefits Stern financially and benefits it's customers by saving them installation headaches.

#73 10 years ago

I think the OP has a legitimate gripe, I hate the fact that they stopped putting slide rails on a game and it would cost stern NOTHING to keep drilling the holes on the playfield. Are you guys trying to tell me that the few seconds it takes stern to drill 2 extra holes is costing them money? What, 2 cents? Sometimes just making it easier for your customers in the final product to give them the option to upgrade their machine with something that came on your product for decades just makes sense?

And if it costs SO much to drill these holes, why are they drilling the extra holes for the shaker now? Why, couldn't they save themselves 2 cents and let the customers deal with it?

I don't get the attack on the OP, you guys need to lighten up.

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

I think the OP has a legitimate gripe, I hate the fact that they stopped putting slide rails on a game and it would cost stern NOTHING to keep drilling the holes on the playfield. Are you guys trying to tell me that the few seconds it takes stern to drill 2 extra holes is costing them money? What, 2 cents? Sometimes just making it easier for your customers in the final product to give them the option to upgrade their machine with something that came on your product for decades just makes sense?
And if it costs SO much to drill these holes, why are they drilling the extra holes for the shaker now? Why, couldn't they save themselves 2 cents and let the customers deal with it?
I don't get the attack on the OP, you guys need to lighten up.

Thanks. The level of pushback I got from the peanut gallery on this one really surprised me. Hard to believe folks spending 4-5k on a pinball aren't in violent agreement. I guess the Premium/LE buyers could care less about the Pro buyers. For those of us who buy both, it's hard to live with the pegs (and making the upgrade as painless as possible has been great...up until Metallica).

btw...the 2 biggest installation issues for installing the brackets sold by Terry @ pinballlife are: (1) what drill bit to use for the T-nuts included with the kit? Terry emailed me and told me a 13/64 drill bit is the correct size. I guess his new instructions specify this as well. (2) where to drill the holes? Fortunately, I have a TRON Pro right beside the Metallica and can use it as a guide.

Even if folks could "care less" about me or other Pro owners, maybe they care about Terry @ Pinballlife, who runs an awesome business and is effected by this arbitrary change. His offer to take the product back if I didn't want to drill the holes is a great example of how he supports his customers.

#75 10 years ago

As far as where to drill the holes, on the playfield art, near the 'wingtips' of the winged skull thing there are two small round areas cleared out. Is that where the t-nuts go? Can't tell if the apron would cover it or not.

#76 10 years ago

As far as where to drill the holes, on the playfield art, near the 'wingtips' of the winged skull thing there are two small round areas cleared out. Is that where the t-nuts go? Can't tell if the apron would cover it or not.

No...not even close I've enclosed pics from where the pre-drilled holes were on my TRON Pro. Since the left/right side of the PF are not symmetric, you need to be careful to line them up properly.

IMG_1994.JPGIMG_1994.JPG IMG_1995.JPGIMG_1995.JPG IMG_1996.JPGIMG_1996.JPG

1 year later
#77 9 years ago

Bumping up an old thread to see if anyone can confirm the LED Met pro is not pre-drilled.

#78 9 years ago

Not sure about the LED Met pro but my IMVE was drilled and had the T-nuts

8 months later
#79 8 years ago

From what I understand, all pro version Sterns after Ironman aren't pre-drilled for rail supports. There was a thread when star trek pro came out where a guy removed the stock supports and put the t-nuts that come with the hardware kit into those holes. That way the supports start at the same spot and you don't have to drill holes for that side of the playfield. Its what I do now, and it works great.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
7,600 (OBO)
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-pro-pf-not-drilled-for-the-support-slide-bracket/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.