(Topic ID: 94165)

Metallica Pro game problem (Sparky multiball)

By bloagsat

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by markmon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey,
I'm a new pinball machine owner. I purchased the Metallica Pro machine one week ago today and I've discovered that my game has suddenly started doing some strange things:

The game automatically launches the ball and Sparky seems to be getting triggered when you're not even hitting him. Multiball will just activate for no reason.

When I got the game, most people were averaging 12M. 20M was a pretty good game, and 100M was awesome.

In the last two days people have been averaging 60M and the free games have been going off like popcorn.

Any ideas on what has happened?

Jamie

#2 9 years ago

know how to use the menu system? If so go into it and go the the switch section and see if the sparky switches are activating for no reason. Sounds like maybe the targets by Sparky are a bit "off" and registering when they shouldn't be. You can also just start a game and sit back and it sparky getting hit for no reason that's the place to start.
I would inspect those targets and move them around a little bit. Somtimes the metal parts are super close and just vibrations can push them together.

#3 9 years ago

I'd guess bad or misaligned opto in front of Sparky.

#4 9 years ago

Most likely it's not those targets, but the opto beam in front of them. If a wire is loose on the opto, opto power board, or optos are physically loose, then the beam can momentarily break causing hits. Low power 12v can cause it also since it's not enough power to drive optos consistently, but if that were the case, other optos would probably be acting up. Those optos could also just be dirty and cleaning with a q-tip might help. Finally, they plug into an opto power board and that connection could be loose.

#5 9 years ago

Ah ok, didn't know there was an opto there.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Those optos could also just be dirty and cleaning with a q-tip might help.

The game is a week old. Unless he lives in a working rock quarry, I'm guessing his optos aren't dirty.

Quoted from markmon:

Finally, they plug into an opto power board and that connection could be loose.

Yes. With the power off, follow the wires from the optos under the playfield to the opto board. Reseat all the connectors on that board, then try again.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

The game is a week old. Unless he lives in a working rock quarry, I'm guessing his optos aren't dirty.

Irrelevant. Always check the easy stuff first.

#8 9 years ago

I started getting false sparky hits just after updating to 1.6.....hhmmmmmm

1 year later
#9 8 years ago

I seem to be having this issue on my new premium which has just arrived. I have had a handful of instances so far where Sparky multiball has just started without the magnet grabbing the ball and without the electocution cutscene playing on the dmd, kind of like a double hit registering on the final shot needed to activate multiball which cuts out the scene. Switch under Sparky looks good, however i have noticed that the opto on the left which receives the beam appears to have a tiny chip in it. Could this be causing the problem or is there something else i should check??

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Off2War:

I seem to be having this issue on my new premium which has just arrived. I have had a handful of instances so far where Sparky multiball has just started without the magnet grabbing the ball and without the electocution cutscene playing on the dmd, kind of like a double hit registering on the final shot needed to activate multiball which cuts out the scene. Switch under Sparky looks good, however i have noticed that the opto on the left which receives the beam appears to have a tiny chip in it. Could this be causing the problem or is there something else i should check??

Your issue sounds completely different. Sparky MB can start without the magnet and electrocution scenes if there are other switches that register somewhere else. In this case, the game thinks the ball is in play rather than stuck on the magnet and skips the entry scene. You should work in the switch test and test all your switches with your hand, pounding on the playfield, look for some stuff that triggers when it shouldnt or by vibration.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 29.95
$ 199.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Shark
Decals

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-pro-game-problem-sparky-multiball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.