Metallica Pro: Game not registering ball(s) in trough

By Pinballwiz45b

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Happens VERY often, even with all 4 balls loaded in. When I try to start a game (Competition Mode or not), the game suddenly goes into Ball Search mode, and the game doesn't start at all. I'm having a hunch that this issue is one of two (or both) causes:

1) The game code is EXTREMELY out of date, registering as V1.03. Update ASAP.

2) One or more switch inside the trough is malfunctioning. At times when the game DOES actually work, sometimes, the game registers a drain even when a ball is still in play. Heck, I was in a multiball mode when I cradled two balls on the same flipper, then the game says, "Multiball is over," even when I still have two balls up on the flipper.

Any ideas on what the issue is?

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballwiz45b:

Happens VERY often, even with all 4 balls loaded in. When I try to start a game (Competition Mode or not), the game suddenly goes into Ball Search mode, and the game doesn't start at all. I'm having a hunch that this issue is one of two (or both) causes:
1) The game code is EXTREMELY out of date, registering as V1.03. Update ASAP.
2) One or more switch inside the trough is malfunctioning. At times when the game DOES actually work, sometimes, the game registers a drain even when a ball is still in play. Heck, I was in a multiball mode when I cradled two balls on the same flipper, then the game says, "Multiball is over," even when I still have two balls up on the flipper.
Any ideas on what the issue is?

Start with reseating the trough opto connection. This flakey connection regularly confuses the machine.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-game-ends-ball-without-a-drain-modern-stern#post-2674764

#3 8 years ago

Wow, that was fast! Thanks for the response!

#4 8 years ago

I have had trough problems off and on with my premium. Connectors fixed it. Consider using tie straps to hold the connectors down or a very small drop of silicone rubber on the connector housing. Make sure silicone does not get on connection itself.

3 years later
#5 4 years ago

Just ran into this with my premium on location. Tried reseating the connection no luck. I'll reflow the headers and report back.

#6 4 years ago

Change the balls especially if they are silverjets cause they get magnetized and mess up with the trough board's,can't use silverjets with games that have magnets

10 months later
#7 3 years ago

Any updates on the fix. Having the same issues as you all. reseated connectors but no change.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from PetersonExpress:

Any updates on the fix. Having the same issues as you all. reseated connectors but no change.

Replace the trough opto boards

1 month later
#9 3 years ago

Just realized I never actually posted the resolution to this. Yep, it was the opto boards..

4 months later
#10 3 years ago

Same issue and replaced opto board but still having issues. Anyone else find a resolution to the problem?

Thanks

#11 3 years ago

You replaced both the transmitter and receiver boards? (sorry to ask, you said "board" but there are 2)

If so, it's either the connectors (replacing might be the only way to know for sure) or one of the microswitches (run diagnostic switch test and drop balls in one by one to see if each switch registers)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 29.95
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-pro-game-not-registering-balls-in-trough and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.