• Latest reply 10 years ago by schudel5
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rookie.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hi pinsiders. I am having an intermittent problem with my Metallica pro table (HUO out of box about 3 days). Occasionally the game will let out an ear piercing squawk. The squawk is much louder than either the callouts or the music, and loud/shrill enough to send the dogs running and for me to be wary of it while playing.

It seems that it only occurs after starting sparky multiball but not right when sparky is getting fried. I have not been able to start any of the other multiball modes yet so I don't know if it occurs for them.

Anyone have any thoughts on what this may be or if anyone may have heard of something similar on other tables. Searching here and google did not provide me with any answers. Of course I may be searching for the wrong term.

#2 10 years ago

Ha ha ha. That squawk sounds like you've hit the replay score indicating a free game. Lol.
U can change or disable the found in menu settings.

#3 10 years ago

i would contact your distributer before too much time goes by.

#4 10 years ago

Hahaha i am pretty sure this is the synthetic knocker noise that indicates you won a replay. There should be audit mode settings that disables the knocker. Consult the manual.

#5 10 years ago

Congrats you got an electronic kicker sound when you got a free game.

#6 10 years ago

Definitely a menu option to turn that annoyance off.

#7 10 years ago

I posted the same thing with my first NIB. Go into the settings and turn off the knocker.

#8 10 years ago

It's going to blow up any second.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It's going to blow up any second.

Yeh some guy thought is Metallica was
When sparky started spazzing out the coil started smoking
Looked cool though

#10 10 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I will change that setting and see if it helps.

#11 10 years ago

Metallica was my first pin to own, and the first modern pinball ive played. The first time i got a free game and that shrill knocker sound it was about 130am and everyone else in the house was asleep. Im not afraid to admit it gave me a startled jump!! Hahah. Didnt take long to find the menu and turn that sucker off. Hehe. Enjoy your new pin!

#12 10 years ago

Congrats on the new game. Please insert your photo and info below.

rookie.jpgrookie.jpg

#13 10 years ago

This sums it right up. "Ear-piercing squawk" is exactly what it is. It's a bloody joke that Stern do this instead of including a knocker. That noise is simply embarrassing. They'd be better to have no knocker sound at all.

#14 10 years ago

Rookie card indeed. Just happy that there is a community of folks out there that can help.

Confirmed that this was indeed what was going on, turned off the knocker and verified the sound both by posting a high score (yay) and by testing it in the diag menu.

Out of interest @accidental did older games used to have some kind of physical knocker that made some reasonable sound to indicate when a free game was awarded (more rookie questions!)?

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from digitalbytes:

Rookie card indeed. Just happy that there is a community of folks out there that can help.
Confirmed that this was indeed what was going on, turned off the knocker and verified the sound both by posting a high score (yay) and by testing it in the diag menu.
Out of interest @accidental did older games used to have some kind of physical knocker that made some reasonable sound to indicate when a free game was awarded (more rookie questions!)?

Yes they had a plunger rod in a solenoid that smacked into a metal plate or the wooden cab itself...

#16 10 years ago

Found this DIY knocker mod for Stern machines - may have to look into it.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinball_stuff/knocker.htm

Thanks again pinsiders.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from digitalbytes:

Yeah they had a coil in the back box or cabinet that let off a loud satisfying crack when you earn a replay or free game. The idea is to let everyone in the arcade know that you're kicking ass. I think it was Sega that was first to remove the knocker in favour of the 'ear piercing squawk' to cut costs (I've heard it on a Star Wars Trilogy).

I guess I have a different perspective because I mostly played older games and when I first played a new Stern I was floored when I heard what they had done with a knocker. So embarrassing, in my opinion.

#18 10 years ago

The God awful sound coming from the Metallica pin is the "music" tracks..... just sayin'

#19 10 years ago

Yep, Stern knockers are kinda annoying. I changed the one in my ACDC to the traditional knocker. Much better.

#20 10 years ago

LOL! There is no worse electronic knocker sound than Monopoly. It's just terrible!

#21 10 years ago

Why not just turn your high score settings up?

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

LOL! There is no worse electronic knocker sound than Monopoly. It's just terrible!

Not my description of the sound, but back then someone else described the Monopoly electronic knocker as a "constipated monkey fart".

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 149.00
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 29.95
7,600 (OBO)
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-pro-ear-piercing-squawk-during-game-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.