Metallica-Playfield.jpg
2222222222222 (2).png
Metallica LE newton ball left.JPG
Metallica LE newton ball front.JPG
Metallica LE newton ball right.JPG
right here.jpg
This.jpg
sk8foam.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

So my biggest complaint with Metallica LE over the pro has been the square plate vs the captive ball. So I decided to just order a newton ball and swap it out. The results are great.

image-21.jpgimage-21.jpg

The sparky shot is slightly easier to hit from the right flipper now. The snake is way easier to hit now that I can reliably bank off the captive ball into the snake mouth. As for locking balls into the coffin, I notice it being no harder. The captive ball sits slightly further back. And shots to the plate weren't always a lock anyway. It feels about the same as it did before with the plate for ball locks.

In short, I see no downside to this change. Only upside.

For anyone that wants to do the same thing, you can get the newton ball from pinballlife. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=697. To install it, you just lift the playfield and remove the 2 11/32" nuts that hold the plate rear corners in. Then remove the 1/4" screw and pull the old square block out. Insert the captive ball in the front hole. Now you need a 3/8" nut and a lock washer. I couldn't get a nylon but to tighten so I used a washer (one I removed from the block), lock washer, and regular 3/8" nut to secure the ball in place. Lower the playfield and enjoy

#10 10 years ago

The plate/block has three holes. One where the newton ball attaches. The two behind it reinforce the block so they don't move.

I think the flattened surface might work against us if we end up hitting the edge of the flattened surface. It seemed that at least on my game, I was never able to lock a ball by shooting the plate at lock. Instead, the ball seems to catch when rolling over that area. I find now that a shot towards the right of the captive ball tends to move towards the snake and if it bounces out of the snake, it often rolls over the magnet and gets captured. I also lowered the number of hits required to lock balls to make up for extra shots to capture them.

You guys might just order a captive ball and try it out. Very cheap experiment and very easy to undo.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Markmon,
Can you show some under playfield shots and more on how you mount these? I am thinking of replacing Wolverine with the same, but unsure how it all mounts together and how you hookup the switch.

Are we talking about the same thing? This is about Metallica LE where you remove the metal block under the hammer. Once its out you just stick the newton ball in the middle hole and attach a nut. I promise you won't need pictures if you take a look you'll see how easy it is

Quoted from PW79:

So Stern still has not resolved the hammer lock issue?
Why get the premium/LE if one of the extra features doesn't function?
I've got the Premium on my wish list but I'm not paying $2K for a janky inconsistent hammer

The hammer works fine. The phantom hits are gone and the hammer is well synced with the sound. The issue is just in the nature of the game. In order to lock a ball you have to get the ball to roll over the magnet, which seems to have a sensor in it, somewhat slowly. The discussion here isn't about improving the hammer. It's about how to replace the fun-sucking square block with a fun to shoot captive ball while not adversely affecting the hammer behavior.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Ok
So gambit you are saying the plate does not function properly... it's like the Gimli shot on LOTR?

Everything functions correctly. None of this has anything to do with correct function of the game. This thread is about a captive ball vs a plate not about hammer problems. The hammer locks balls when the ball rolls over the magnet. There are several ways to make that happen. The easiest on my machine is a captive ball shot that bounces towards the snake and back over the magnet.

Quoted from judremy:

Sorry, I just don't understand how that piece goes in. I apologize for asking for further information and details to better understand how a newton ball works in a pinball machine. If someone else can explain it to me, that would be great.

Thera is a hole in the playfield. The newton ball comes with a stud that fits into the hole and that's it. You'll find the hole when you remove the block. A real ball sits behind the newton ball resting on it. When a shot hits the newton ball,energy is transferred to the real ball behind it causing it to move into a switch. Right me you have a newton cube. This post is about replacing it with a newton ball like in the pro.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

we're likely to see Lyman add something in the code that allows for captive hits to keep counting toward the next lock even if the magnet hasn't grabbed/hammered your ball yet. Just that alone would alleviate a lot of the annoyance from this issue....cuz then you wouldn't feel like you're hitting the captive ball for nothing if your ball hasn't locked yet.

I lowered the lock requirements to the minimum allowed in settings and now my coffin mb starts as often as it did on the pro. The captive ball is always a good shot. It progresses you towards two extra balls, and it progresses you towards crank it up. And it locks in lanes. Coffins multiball has become somewhat insignificant now I think.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

What do you connect the thing coming out of the newtonball too? I like it, but see exposed hole in the picture, and newton ball has a post out the back in of it, and that goes to what?

You rotate that post so it's pointing down not back and push it through the hole that the block used.

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Sooo, what's to keep it from spinning around? Enough strong hits to the right side I think would start to unscrew it from the nut.

I agree. The plate had 3 holes for this reason.

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I'm glad to see there are some potential newton ball band-aids for the Premium/LE lock issue, but I'm tired of almost never getting coffin multiball. Even if these methods help, you'll always have to work harder for the same mode that's consistently attainable on the Pro.

Set the number of hits required to light lock way lower and you'll see coffin mb often. I see it 1-3 times per game. The best Sw change in my opinion is to make it so lock 2 progress is eligible whether you locked ball 1 or not. There's no reason locks 1, 2, and 3 couldn't all be lit at the same time and ready to go.

The captive ball mod I posted isn't about shooting for the locked ball shot. It's about all the other times you might shoot that shot and want it not to slowly come back your way. And you are shooting it often to complete light crank it up, complete hurry ups, etc.

Filing a ball might make the ball come towards the magnet more. But to me, that's not really the goal. I'd rather use the snake bounce to lock a ball than the block anyway. The filed ball will turn over time. The block is held in by 3 studs. The captive ball 1. I don't care how tight you get it, it'll turn by constant force of balls hitting it.

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Do you know what number these settings are in the menu? I went through briefly and didn't see them.

These aren't in the game. It would be a feature request. All we can do now is set the numbers lower.

Quoted from hank35:I got it at Home Depot. It comes in a 4 pack and comes in different widths. I used 3/4"
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Velcro-3-1-2-in-x-3-4-in-Sticky-Back-Strips-4-Pack-90075/202261913

I think people need to ditch the idea of shooting the block to capture the ball. Deadening that shot makes it even more unfun. The shot that seems to lock a ball is between snake and captive ball and it rolls over the magnet. With the latest rules, I'm never aiming for multiballs. I shoot the captive ball often for other things. The multiball seems to just happen as a side effect.

1 week later
#111 10 years ago

Yea. I wouldn't have realized if I don't have a pro in my house side by side with an LE to see how much worse shooting the block was than shooting the captive ball. The game is a lot more fun with captive ball for sure.

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

this looks like the way to go. Question, with newton secured in hole, and the beating it takes, would the hole start to widen from the force of the pinballs hitting it (Newton ball)?

I don't think so. Newton balls have been used in pinballs for ages.

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from MRG:

I see why Stern used the block instead of the newton ball. The bracket that holds the hammer is exposed and will get bashed and damaged over time. That edge of the bracket needs to be protected which the block provides.

What is exposed? The area around the captive ball looks just like it does on the pro

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I think he probably means the part I have circled in the pictures. It does look to stick out a bit, but I honestly don't know what that area looks like on the Pro.

Oh interesting. Thank you. But the exposure seems about the same with cube or captive ball - at least in the photos. And the photo of the bracket with the cube and wear supports that claim I think.

1 week later
#126 9 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

The newton ball only requires 1 hole, the LE's block has 3.
Question; is the "Pro" newton ball's hole in the exact same place as LE's center hole? The reason I ask is because if it's out a little further there is more wood playfield to support the metal rod.

I believe the same front hole exists on the pro and LE. They added two more holes to prevent the cube from spinning. A newton ball spinning is not noticeable. It see a to be in the exact same place as on my old pro.

1 month later
#160 9 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I doubt you need it now with the new code update, will be interesting to hear from those that changed them over

I guess you didn't bother to read my original post in this thread. The concept has nothing to do with ball locks or software updates. Since it's all well explained there I won't bother to write all those paragraphs again.

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from MRG:

I have seen the captive ball become temporarily magnetized when the magnet turns on and your ball become "stuck" to the captive ball, causing a phantom hit. I believe this is why Stern uses an Aluminum block.

I'm sorry but this is not the reason. Directly from the game designer: "The block was designed to bring the ball back over the magnet. The captive ball allows the ball to deflect left or right away from the magnet.
It works fine if you hit it dead on with the captive ball there. I would imagine in the future people will replace the block with a ball. The ball doeasn't show damage."

The block didn't do its job so well anyway and zapped all the fun out of the shot. So I recommend the captive ball.

#170 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What's the source for that quote out of curiosity?

Direct email to me

#176 9 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I did read it... but I don't have a problem with the block, no phantom hammers & can combo hammer into snake,
Enjoy your game. I am

Right but this had nothing at all to do with phantom hammers.

#181 9 years ago
Quoted from MRG:

I have seen the captive ball become temporarily magnetized when the magnet turns on and your ball become "stuck" to the captive ball, causing a phantom hit. I believe this is why Stern uses an Aluminum block.

I also need to point out that this is nonsense about the ball becoming magnetized. The stern captive ball mechs are actual pinballs and metal cages. You can put in any pinball you want - for example you can use the same non magnetizing balls you run in the game. If you're talking about a brief period of time where this only occurs while the magnet is energized, if like to point out that the magnet is only energized when the ball rolls on the magnet. So in a properly working game, none of this is possible.

#183 9 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I know you're right about everything, but it's possible. I mean, there's no such thing as a "properly working" Metallica LE anyway. There's a reason Stern recently implemented three levels of lock compensation despite attempting both software & hardware fixes for the magnet. It will never work properly.

So are you saying the ball sticks to the captive ball only when the lock magnet is energized? Can you describe a bit more the symptoms? Also did you install the single newton ball or the pinballlife stern captive ball mech that comes with a loose ball and cage?

1 month later
#208 9 years ago

Perhaps the loose pinball ball that ships with the captive ball cage is the type that magnetized. Try swapping with a ball type that doesn't. The game ball doesn't make contact with the cage - only the captive ball inside it. So if there's a stick point I would start with replacing the internal ball. Some pinballs are known to magnetize while others do not.

#212 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

I have the (Stern ball in a cage) captive ball from pinball life. Never had it get magnitized yet. I get lots of air balls that usually land on the plastic that covers the drops.

Is your magnet flush in front of the captive ball? I have never had an air ball from this or any captive ball mech. The pro also doesn't produce air balls. It should behave the same. It sounds like you're making contact with the captive slightly above center. Something is wrong if so. Again , you should expect zero air balls.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 29.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-premiumle-with-real-captive-ball?tu=markmon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.