Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by vireland
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Changed nothing on a Metallica Premium I help maintain on a route. Got the call that it wouldn't coin up (coins or bills). The coin pulses froze the animations on the playfield, then a pop and an immediate reset, but it looked like a "soft" reboot, not a full one. Checked connectors, wiggled wires in and around the coin door and nothing. Decided it had to be some sort of corruption of the settings. Did a factory reset and it fixed the issue completely. Like it never even happened.

Putting this out there so if someone else runs across the issue on Metallica or another Stern, the solution will be here.

#2 2 years ago

I'm no genius or a modern pinball owner but generally when something like this happens in code (and not bad RAM, hardware, etc. not letting it write to the credit counter and so on) I would assume the audits got corrupted in the memory and when it tried to +1 the audits for each credit/coin, it freaked out because it couldn't add 1 to 0x0f0f0f0f0f111111BBBC, etc. (and likely reset as a failsafe rather than freaking out)

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

I'm no genius or a modern pinball owner but generally when something like this happens in code (and not bad RAM, hardware, etc. not letting it write to the credit counter and so on) I would assume the audits got corrupted in the memory and when it tried to +1 the audits for each credit/coin, it freaked out because it couldn't add 1 to 0x0f0f0f0f0f111111BBBC, etc. (and likely reset as a failsafe rather than freaking out)

Considering that you set the maximum credits in the settings, that's just bad coding, then. If the current credits are greater than the maximum credits, the code should adjust the credits down to the maximum number. Could be what it was, but I think it's unlikely because I could add service credits, which aren't a different credit counter - there's only one. More than likely it was some routine related to handling the coin pulses (making the sound, etc) that freaked out and went rogue in the code.

I was just glad a factory reset fixed it.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Considering that you set the maximum credits in the settings, that's just bad coding, then. If the current credits are greater than the maximum credits, the code should adjust the credits down to the maximum number. Could be what it was, but I think it's unlikely because I could add service credits, which aren't a different credit counter - there's only one. More than likely it was some routine related to handling the coin pulses (making the sound, etc) that freaked out and went rogue in the code.
I was just glad a factory reset fixed it.

Didn't say it had anything to do with maximum credits, just meant something likely got corrupted (for any reason) and was only noticeable when it tried to work with that.

I would assume service credits aren't added to the audits, though?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Didn't say it had anything to do with maximum credits, just meant something likely got corrupted (for any reason) and was only noticeable when it tried to work with that.
I would assume service credits aren't added to the audits, though?

No idea. There are too many possibilities for WHAT got corrupted in the settings to cause this. Fortunately if it happens to anyone else, a Factory Reset on the menu will take care of it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
6,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
7,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Blacklick, OH
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
The Flipper Room
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 199.99
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Island, NY

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside