Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by vex
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I'm struggling a little on this one. I love the Premium features, but I'm not a fan of LEDs. I think this is a complete list of the differences on the Premium:

Gameplay:
* Spinners
* Ball-Smashing Hammer
* Disappearing Magnetic Ball mechanism
* Illuminated Undertrough 3-ball lock
* Fuel stand-up bar assembly

Appearance:
* Cooler Dirty Donny translite (IMHO)
* Color-changing inserts
* 3-color GI
* Snake has animated jaw
* Grave Marker is motorized
* Laser-cut speaker panels
* Illuminated metal apron

Maintainance:
* Traditional lock down bar, slides, brackets
* Enhanced User's Manual (?!)

Did I miss anything - any difference on the clearcoat, for example? The Premium gameplay additions are definitely cool, but I'm thinking that the Hammer could block the view of Sparky - it's hard to tell, without seeing the game from a player's-eye view. If the Pro had spinners it would be a no-brainer for me.

Thoughts?

#2 11 years ago

I was all about the PRO model until they released the info about the Dirty Donnie Premium model. If I had the cash I would go for the Premium, but if not I would be more than happy with the pro. Unfortunately, I need to figure out a way to get AC/DC before I think about this one...

#3 11 years ago

You missed color changing inserts and three color GI

#4 11 years ago

No spinners = No dice in my book, and I usually like the Pro models too. Kinda sad actually, but it's Premium or bust for me.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

any difference on the clearcoat,

on the LE has clear coat from what I understand.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from SDobek:

You missed color changing inserts and three color GI

Added, thanks.

#7 11 years ago

Yeah the real question is... "is it $2000 better?"

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from jasonpaulbauer:

After the bubble wrap cardboard mat was announced for the LE - the answer is a resounding "YES!".

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from jasonpaulbauer:

My 14-year-old son says the hammer smashing the ball into the playfield is "definitely worth $2000!", lol. I should make him earn it with 2 years of yard work, and then ask him again: "was it worth it?"

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

My 14-year-old son says the hammer smashing the ball into the playfield is "definitely worth $2000!", lol. I should make him earn it with 2 years of yard work, and then ask him again: "was it worth it?"

You could just give him a hammer let him hit you over the head and get it over with.

1 month later
#11 10 years ago

Now that the Premium has shipped, any further opinions between the Pro and Premium from those who have played both?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Now that the Premium has shipped,

it has?

#13 10 years ago

I'm torn as well but here's how I'm approaching it:

Is the premium worth $2000 more in terms of stuff? No.

BUT will you be happy without the added features? Metallica is my fav band, I don't see myself ever buying NIB (Prem especially) ever again and for me I'm not sure I'll be fully satisfied missing things like the hammer, the lock, the 3 color GI lightshow, the grave marker, despite the fact that they aren't "worth" 2k. In short, yes its a waste of cash, to ensure I have all the options I want out of the box.

It's like buying a new car - is the premium leather package really worth 5k? Or is factory nav really worth 5k? Factory premium wheels for 2k? The answer is often a resounding NO, and people who can't/don't pull the trigger on all those factory options will tell you how much better the aftermarket stuff is anyway. The problem is (to me) once you make the decision to give up those factory features, almost no amount of modding or add ons will ever measure up to the fit and finish of the 'factory' accessories.

Is it "worth" 2k more? no. But will I be fully satisfied with the pro - that is the real question. To me, if you aren't intending on loving/keeping this machine forever, pro is the way to go, but if this is a 'must have' title that you want around for years to come, premium is for you.

#14 10 years ago

Unless Star Trek knocks it out of the park, I think the Pro will be my next NIB. I'm typically a Pro whore and have a hard time justifying the $2K+ on added features. The Premium looks pretty bad ass, but the delta between that model and the Pro isn't significant enough for the upgrade, IMO.

#15 10 years ago

I even have to have Alex Powder coat my Premium now. So if that's the case going forward even more argument to just go Pro.

#16 10 years ago

^^ That's something else that's a tad perplexing. The Premiums usually have powdercoat along with the extra toys, but in this case, it's the standard Pro trim.

I actually like the textured black Pro trim, but powdercoat looks very nice. Another benefit (for me) is to buy the Pro and spread the additional costs over time (LEDs, mods, powdercoat). Makes the expense easier to swallow.

#17 10 years ago

I have AC/DC Premium and just switched my Met Premium order to the Pro yesterday.

I was on order to get a Dirty Donny Premium...here's why I switched to the Pro:

- Cabinet/trim are identical.
- I prefer the Pro translite over the Premium.
- Don't really care for the look of the large hammer.
- Animated jaw is silly/minor...just another thing to break with little real value.

The only features I'll miss are:

- Fancy color changing LED's (the biggy).
- Traditional brackets
- Motorized grave marker (minor)

I believe the Pro rules are identical to the Premium/LE.

Saved $2,200 by going with the PRO (including shipping).

For me, it wasn't about the money (per se), it's about "value". Just don't see the added value in the Premium/LE this time around. For AC/DC, it was clearer (and AC/DC BIB is a very distinctive look that makes sense when moving to an LE).

Hey, if I'm wrong and the Premium is worth the extra cash, then it's always possible to upgrade! It's not like Premium's will be hard to get like LE's.

My 2$.

#18 10 years ago

you make alot of sense snaroff. i am in the same boat as you. i am keeping my premium order in hopes that the code will be like the difference between acdc pro/premium.

but the 2000$ difference is pretty hard to justify at this time.

time will tell.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

7,600 (OBO)
$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-premium-or-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.