Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So, I'm hosting a tourney on Sunday and am trying to get my games up to tourney condition. The GI on my Met Premium keeps flickering. It is basically making the game unplayable.

We've disconnected a lot of the power using mods in hopes this would stop the GI flicker. Hasn't worked. It flicks on it flicks off in a near seizure inducing way.

Any ideas gang? Not sure where to even begin. Thanks.

#2 6 years ago

I had the same problem on my premium only if the GI brightness was set above 40 in the menu. 40 or below, no problem. Try turning it down and see if it stops flickering.
Turned out to be a bad connector powering one of the boards under the playfied, Pat Powers at stern walked me through troubleshooting it. New connector, problem solved.
I will post a pic later when I get a chance.

#3 6 years ago

I had the same problem on mine and it was the tension of the wire harnesss to the pcb in the lower middle of thenplayfied - because stern had it so tightly pulled one of the pins or multiple pins on the board were bending and creating bad contact. I cut the zip tie holding the wire harness for the gi and gave it some more slack and then reconnected it and it was never a problem again.

#4 6 years ago

When this happened to my LE it was because of the data cable from the CPU board. Replaced, all good.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

When this happened to my LE it was because of the data cable from the CPU board. Replaced, all good.

I'm hoping it's not this cause I won't have time to get a new part by Sunday. I'll look at it further tonight and report back though. Thanks gang.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm hoping it's not this cause I won't have time to get a new part by Sunday. I'll look at it further tonight and report back though. Thanks gang.

its just any old CAT6 cable - you can buy a replacement cable anywhere, routing it is a bitch but at least it would be operational...im telling you, cut the zip tie, give that cable some more slack and reseat it...your problems may go away just that easily.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

My Premium did this as well, all the GI and controlled inserts flickered and were off in color as to what they were supposed to be. Followed the Data cable from CPU down and found that it had gotten caught in the up post mech in the top orbit and worn through...Got another cable and re routed it so it didn't get caught again and it fixed it. Check your cables to make sure there is nothing caught or pulling to tight...

Phoebe

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

I had the same problem on mine and it was the tension of the wire harnesss to the pcb in the lower middle of thenplayfied - because stern had it so tightly pulled one of the pins or multiple pins on the board were bending and creating bad contact. I cut the zip tie holding the wire harness for the gi and gave it some more slack and then reconnected it and it was never a problem again.

This was the issue. It's fixed and working perfect. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-premium-gi-flicker-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.