New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 275299)

Metallica Premium: F7 Fuse Blows As Soon As You Start A Game

By xbmanx

75 days ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 75 days ago by Bellagio
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

117177109_10221579317166092_553335106277824217_o (resized).jpg

#1 75 days ago

Any help here would be much appreciated.

My game was working perfectly and then something weird happened with the coffin magnet during game play.

After that I noticed that the coffin magnet wasnt working. I investigated and saw Fuse f7 blown so I replaced it. Started another game and blew another F7.

I opened the game up and the switch that was on the magnet mech that i ASSUME tells the magnet mech to return home was super loose. I tightened it up. I put another F7 fuse in. This time I started a game and F5 blew. I replaced it, started another game and F7 blew again.

It seems that F7 blows as soon as a new game is started and the ball kicks into the shooter lane.

Any ideas? THANK YOU!

#2 75 days ago

Shorted wire at the magnet connections, bad diode or bad transistor on the board. The manual will tell you which transistor is associated with the magnet. If it’s not a broken or shorted wire, which you should be able to see, most likely the transistor has failed. Test one of the other working transistors with a meter and see if the one associated with the magnet reads the same.

#3 75 days ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Shorted wire at the magnet connections, bad diode or bad transistor on the board. The manual will tell you which transistor is associated with the magnet. If it’s not a broken or shorted wire, which you should be able to see, most likely the transistor has failed. Test one of the other working transistors with a meter and see if the one associated with the magnet reads the same.

Is that something that’s fixable or is it a magnet board replacement situation?

#4 75 days ago
Quoted from xbmanx:

Is that something that’s fixable or is it a magnet board replacement situation?

they are all fixable, if it’s one of those three things I mentioned. I have a pro so not familiar with the magnet board.

#5 75 days ago
Quoted from Lermods:

they are all fixable, if it’s one of those three things I mentioned. I have a pro so not familiar with the magnet board.

Thanks. Wish i was a bit more competent right now

#6 75 days ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Is it weird that there is no technician alert indicating an issue?

#7 75 days ago
Quoted from xbmanx:

Is it weird that there is no technician alert indicating an issue?

No, blown fuses don't trigger alerts. Typically, bad switches trigger alerts.

#8 75 days ago
Quoted from Lermods:

No, blown fuses don't trigger alerts. Typically, bad switches trigger alerts.

I have a little more info. I disconnected the black wire that leads from the magnet board to power the magnet in the coffin.

When I start the game now the fuse doesn't blow. Does that mean the magnet card is bad, or does it mean something on the magnet mech is bad?

#9 75 days ago

My guess is the magnet is shorted. Get a meter and put it in resistance and measure across the two leads and report back.

Now why is it shorted will be the real question. A blown transistor will melt a coil and cause that.

#10 75 days ago
Quoted from pintechev:

My guess is the magnet is shorted. Get a meter and put it in resistance and measure across the two leads and report back.
Now why is it shorted will be the real question. A blown transistor will melt a coil and cause that.

Sorry to sound dumb but in pinball tech i am...

When you say sounds like the magnet is shorted, what exactly are you referring to? Is that the magnet board? or the actual paper wrapped magnet at the top of the mech?

Also if i put it in resistance, wont that just blow another fuse and not allow me to test it since it won't work?

#11 75 days ago

I have more information on the problem. I really started diffing and notice that the white resistor on the board was detatched from the board on one side. I took the board out and soldered it down. I put the board back in started the game up when I start a game I hear the buzzing of the magnet and then the fuse blows and it stops so it almost seems like something is telling the magnet to be on. Is the magnet card just totally shot?

117177109_10221579317166092_553335106277824217_o (resized).jpg
#12 75 days ago

The transistor is likely shorted to ground which is telling the magnet to always be on. Test the transistor and see if it’s open.

#13 75 days ago

And for the magnet, just test across the two leads on the magnet connector itself. Unplug it and test for resistance across the two pins.

#14 75 days ago
Quoted from pintechev:

And for the magnet, just test across the two leads on the magnet connector itself. Unplug it and test for resistance across the two pins.

I did a continuity test on this and it beeped

#15 75 days ago
Quoted from pintechev:

The transistor is likely shorted to ground which is telling the magnet to always be on. Test the transistor and see if it’s open.

I wish i better understood what this means. Can you point me to a resource on testing this? Does changing the magnet board fix this?

#16 75 days ago

The transistor on the board is ultimately what turns on the magnet. Given what you found, it sounds like the transistor is shorted internally. Basically it's like a switch that's stuck on. Replacing the board should fix it as long as the magnet itself is ok. The fuse most likely prevented damage to the magnet, though.

#17 75 days ago
Quoted from xbmanx:

I did a continuity test on this and it beeped

It’s supposed to beep don’t test continuity. Test for resistance.

#18 75 days ago
Quoted from xbmanx:

I wish i better understood what this means. Can you point me to a resource on testing this? Does changing the magnet board fix this?

Changing the magnet board may fix it. But you’ll want to know for sure the magnet coil is still good or you’ll blow the new one. You should be able to search here or google to learn what you need. Take your time, lots to learn.

#19 75 days ago
Quoted from frunch:

The transistor on the board is ultimately what turns on the magnet. Given what you found, it sounds like the transistor is shorted internally. Basically it's like a switch that's stuck on. Replacing the board should fix it as long as the magnet itself is ok. The fuse most likely prevented damage to the magnet, though.

Quoted from pintechev:

Changing the magnet board may fix it. But you’ll want to know for sure the magnet coil is still good or you’ll blow the new one. You should be able to search here or google to learn what you need. Take your time, lots to learn.

So, I happened to have another magnet board. I popped it in and it works fine now. This doesn't explain why the other board went bad but the magnet works and doesnt blow any fuses.

#20 75 days ago

Here’s a good thread on the topic:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-hammer-magnet-board-melts-resistor

This thread includes info on replacing the transistor. It’s probably not a bad idea to replace it on your broken board in the event you have this issue again.

#21 75 days ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

Here’s a good thread on the topic:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-hammer-magnet-board-melts-resistor
This thread includes info on replacing the transistor. It’s probably not a bad idea to replace it on your broken board in the event you have this issue again.

Interesting and thanks for the share. Just buy those 2 parts and solder them on?

#22 75 days ago

Yep, should be pretty easy fix.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
League City, TX
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside